HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Sabres to propose bigger nets

Closed Thread

Old
03-31-2005, 10:44 AM
Goat Driver

vCash: 500
Sabres to propose bigger nets

From the TBN:
http://buffalonews.com/editorial/20050331/1051316.asp

Quote:
The Buffalo Sabres are thinking outside the rectangle.
They'll discover next week if the rest of the NHL is of a similar frame of mind.

The Sabres will present a potential solution to the league's scoring woes with a larger cage. Big deal, right? The bigger-net idea has been kicked around for years, with Sabres coach Lindy Ruff being one of its biggest advocates.

But this proposal breaks the mold. The Sabres have devised a cage that maintains the post-to-post width at 6 feet at the top and bottom while bowing the sides outward and the crossbar upward.

The posts would peak 3 inches wider than the current form, while the crossbar would be 6 inches higher at the crest. The net also wouldn't be as deep, to facilitate wraparounds.
I tried to include the image from tbn.com, but it wasn't showing. Here is the link to the bigger image on their site: http://www.buffalonews.com/graphics/...31v3newnhl.jpg

Old
03-31-2005, 11:22 AM
Weezel RX7

Send a message via AIM to Weezel RX7
i like the idea of making the nets bigger, i dont like that solution

Old
03-31-2005, 11:25 AM
Takeo

Enlarging the nets would just result in more asterisks.

Old
03-31-2005, 11:42 AM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Who came up with that net, Dr. Suess?

Old
03-31-2005, 12:05 PM
SonOfWade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedberg16
Who came up with that net, Dr. Suess?
Close. It was Larry Quinn

Old
03-31-2005, 12:55 PM
ManuelCalavera
La-La-La-Locked Out

Ugh...yah keep messing with the fans that love the game...Im sure that will fill the seats.

Old
03-31-2005, 01:07 PM
krt88

Send a message via AIM to krt88
How about goalies wearing equipment that actually fits!

Look at a goalie in 1985 and look at one now. Today, they look like they're wearing space suits! No more size 66 jerseys when a size 52 will do!

Old
03-31-2005, 01:07 PM
Hawerchuk10

stop ruining this game!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyserSoze81
Ugh...yah keep messing with the fans that love the game...Im sure that will fill the seats.
you got that right. I just wish these people would enforce the rules and stop wanting to change the nets, equipment etc. This net idea is not very good IMO. Get rid of the 2 line pass, reinstall tag up offsides and crack down on obstruction hard, but the nets are fine. Remember when Alex scored 76 goals in one season? The nets were the same size back then!! WTF!?

Old
03-31-2005, 03:13 PM
MLH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawerchuk10
Remember when Alex scored 76 goals in one season? The nets were the same size back then!!
Remember when the Amateur Hockey Association of Canada made the original rules of the sport at the group's founding meeting Dec. 8, 1886? The nets were the same size back then!!

I don't think this is the solution, but players are bigger, stronger, and faster now than they ever have been, yet the ice and nets are the same size. Giving goalies smaller pads will help, but significant changes have to be made.

Old
03-31-2005, 04:24 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLH
Remember when the Amateur Hockey Association of Canada made the original rules of the sport at the group's founding meeting Dec. 8, 1886? The nets were the same size back then!!

I don't think this is the solution, but players are bigger, stronger, and faster now than they ever have been, yet the ice and nets are the same size. Giving goalies smaller pads will help, but significant changes have to be made.
Hey, lets start the battlecry: Bring back the rover!!

Seriously for a moment... enforcement of the rules as written would open up the game to a degree not seen since the beginning of the Bettman era.

03-31-2005, 04:54 PM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Wow, is that the actual net or are we seeing its reflection in a funhouse mirror?

Old
03-31-2005, 05:33 PM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
Why not just bevel the crossbar so shots ricochet at the goalie and in the net instead of straight off the net. IF they really wanted to up scoring, take away the enforcer rule, make all 5 minute (non fighter) majors award a penelty shot, and cut down on goalie equipment.

Old
03-31-2005, 06:42 PM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdoak
Why not just bevel the crossbar so shots ricochet at the goalie and in the net instead of straight off the net. IF they really wanted to up scoring, take away the enforcer rule, make all 5 minute (non fighter) majors award a penelty shot, and cut down on goalie equipment.
Less drastically, you could revert to old powerplay rules where the full two minutes are played regardless of whether or not the team with the advantage scores.

Old
03-31-2005, 10:46 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezel RX7
i like the idea of making the nets bigger, i dont like that solution
Agree 100%. I'm all for making the nets bigger. I think it's a necessary change that's long overdue. But that design is terrible. I don't like the way it looks. As a practical matter, the curved posts and crossbar will make it a nightmare to determine if a goal is scored, particularly on video review.

Old
04-01-2005, 08:29 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
That net is a joke. They don't need to make them bigger or more rounded. All the NHL has to do is be consistent, from day one of the season to the final playoff game, in calling obstruction penalties. Especially in the neutral zone, where most of the speed is generated. No more hooking/holding/grabbing/clutching. If the referees would just call the penalties, no matter how angry it makes the players and coaches, no matter how many penalties are called early in the year as players slowly and stubbornly adjust. And put some restrictions on goalie equipment size too. But don't touch the nets.

Old
04-01-2005, 09:48 PM
djhn579

I don't like the curved net design, but I do think the nets could be made a little bit bigger. Calling penalties will help as well, maybe if they added suspensions if a player gets X interference type penalties?

As for those that want to mention that any goals scored on the bigger nets will have an asterisk by them, answer the following:

Did goals get an asterisk next to them when the size of the ice surface changed?

Did goals get an asterisk next to them when players started using sticks made of anything besides wood?

Did goals get an asterisk next to them when goaltender equipment got so huge?

Did goals get an asterisk next to them when anything else was changed over the years?

The players are in general bigger than they were when the goal size was set, why can't the net be enlarged a little bit?

Old
04-02-2005, 11:03 AM
MacDaddy TLC*

This is a better pic of the net. I kind of like the design (but I liked the blue ice too and got lambasted for that!)

EDIT: What is going on? It shows my attachment as uploaded when I went to edit the post.....

EDIT again: ok, I got it.

Closed Thread