HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

David Booth - All The Tools....No Toolbox

Closed Thread

Old
03-08-2013, 03:01 PM
Pump n Dump

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Co Ho View Post
You just posted a hit that had Doughty sandwiched between Lapierre and Booth. So, to make a point about how hard Booth hits, you post a video that involves 2 Canucks making a hit? That's not very convincing at all.
It actually is, if you look at the video. Lapierre arrives after Booth and barely gets any of Doughty who in turn gets blasted in the opposite direction of Lapierre's.

Booth hasn't had 10 games yet this season for Pete's sake.

Old
03-08-2013, 03:07 PM
BuzzBuzz

vCash: 50
Quote:
Your previous post was largely based on the premise that height/weight/speed = how hard a hitter is. Heatley in his prime (and still) is all of those things, yet he's soft. Not saying that Booth is, but you can't really prove how hard a hitter is through those variables. Booth throws hits, but rarely throws big ones lately IMO; maybe injuries are a factor now. I hope he can prove me wrong this season, but he'll never be a true power forward IMO.
Have you ever watched Heatley play? He looks like he is skating in sand

Old
03-08-2013, 03:08 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Your previous post was largely based on the premise that height/weight/speed = how hard a hitter is. Heatley in his prime (and still) is all of those things, yet he's soft. Not saying that Booth is, but you can't really prove how hard a hitter is through those variables. Booth throws hits, but rarely throws big ones lately IMO; maybe injuries are a factor now. I hope he can prove me wrong this season, but he'll never be a true power forward IMO.
Heatley was never even a good skater, let alone an excellent one like Booth. There's a reason I keep using the term 'explosive'. Furthermore, you seem to keep bringing up guys that simply don't hit as evidence that I was wrong about how hard Booth's hits are. Do you really not see how faulty of a reasoning that is?

We've established that Booth hits, because he's currently 2nd in hits per game on this team. From there we can establish how hard he hits by looking at his attributes.

Old
03-08-2013, 03:08 PM
Karl Hungus

vCash: 833
Booth seems like he's finding his game of late but not getting any results to show for it. He's been getting some nice passes from Kassian and actually pressuring the other team's defense. As a perimeter team Booth seems like one of the few guys that can and will take it to the net hard. Hopefully they start to go in for him soon.

Old
03-08-2013, 03:09 PM
PearJuice*

Quote:
Disagree. We'll see during the playoffs, where hitting becomes much more crucial. I'd put money on Kassian throwing bigger hits night in and night out.
Me too.

Booth does hit, but it's almost like he lets up a bit. That's not what we need him to do. We need him to punish the other team's D with bone crunching checks. That's what power forwards are supposed to do.

Old
03-08-2013, 03:11 PM
Wizeman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Hungus View Post
Booth seems like he's finding his game of late but not getting any results to show for it. He's been getting some nice passes from Kassian and actually pressuring the other team's defense. As a perimeter team Booth seems like one of the few guys that can and will take it to the net hard. Hopefully they start to go in for him soon.
I have faith Booth is going to turn his game around and be in form for when Kesler comes back.

Old
03-08-2013, 03:41 PM
Co Ho*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Heatley was never even a good skater, let alone an excellent one like Booth. There's a reason I keep using the term 'explosive'. Furthermore, you seem to keep bringing up guys that simply don't hit as evidence that I was wrong about how hard Booth's hits are. Do you really not see how faulty of a reasoning that is?

We've established that Booth hits, because he's currently 2nd in hits per game on this team. From there we can establish how hard he hits by looking at his attributes.
I just don't think his physical edge is that prominent on our team, and can't justify his lack of production and relatively high cap hit.
The guys I brought up are to show that statistics don't translate into quality of hits.

Regardless, I think Booth is starting to overtake Ballard as the most overpaid player on the team.
I've noticed lately on these forums that some fans love to praise Ballard and Booth, maybe trying to justify their contracts, and then in previous years have **** on players like Raymond that are producing at the same pace, yet half the salary.

Time will tell if my criticism of Booth is warranted, and like I said, I'd be happy with his play proving me wrong this year; we definitely need his secondary scoring.

Old
03-08-2013, 03:49 PM
arsmaster*
semantic romantic

Quote:

A comparable body type and hitter is Dustin Brown, obviously Brown hits more, and plays a more predatory hitting game, but the combination of compact frame and solid skating makes hits by both players quite explosive.

Old
03-08-2013, 03:53 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
The guys I brought up are to show that statistics don't translate into quality of hits.
You brought up guys that in no way fit the criteria I outlined for being an explosive hitter. Thornton and Heatley are **** skaters and don't have the explosive power from their legs and core that Booth has. It's amusing that you keep trying to defend that instead of realizing that you're making exactly zero sense.

Old
03-08-2013, 04:12 PM
Co Ho*

Quote:
You brought up guys that in no way fit the criteria I outlined for being an explosive hitter. Thornton and Heatley are **** skaters and don't have the explosive power from their legs and core that Booth has. It's amusing that you keep trying to defend that instead of realizing that you're making exactly zero sense.
It's funny that you're trying to base Booth's quality as a player on his relatively mild hits, especially considering his role on the team right now.

Old
03-08-2013, 04:15 PM
SnapIt

I think Booth looks good. That's all I want to say. Yep.

Old
03-08-2013, 04:16 PM
CanucksSayEh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapIt View Post
I think Booth looks good. That's all I want to say. Yep.
It's the golden flow.

Old
03-08-2013, 04:20 PM
Wheatley
We Rabite You

We look like a bunch of Calgary fans right now, trying to defend our mediocre players who make too much money.

Old
03-08-2013, 04:21 PM
Wizeman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanucksSayEh View Post
It's the golden flow.
lol

Hes playing better . He will start burying the biscuit soon.

Old
03-08-2013, 04:23 PM
Co Ho*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatley View Post
We look like a bunch of Calgary fans right now, trying to defend our mediocre players who make too much money.

Fans are biased and will always try to rationalize a less-than-ideal situation. Booth is overpaid, but he still has time to turn it around and regain his goal scoring form.

Old
03-08-2013, 04:28 PM
Wheatley
We Rabite You

Quote:
Fans are biased and will always try to rationalize a less-than-ideal situation. Booth is overpaid, but he still has time to turn it around and regain his goal scoring form.
Sure does. How many years left on his contract?

Old
03-08-2013, 04:29 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Booth is ridiculously snake-bitten right now. Isn't his shooting percentage at 2.3% or something like that? His PDO is below average too.

Old
03-08-2013, 04:45 PM
King of the ES*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatley View Post
Ain't that the truth.

There is literally no defense right now for Booth. Jeff Paterson tweeted something today which stated that in Booth's last 24 GP, he has 1 goal and 2 assists. That is jaw-droppingly bad.

Talk about effort all you want, effort IMO is the bare minimum expectation. Results are what count.

Old
03-08-2013, 04:52 PM
Wheatley
We Rabite You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
Booth is ridiculously snake-bitten right now. Isn't his shooting percentage at 2.3% or something like that? His PDO is below average too.
People really need to stop saying this guy is snakebitten, then point to his shooting percentage.

Take a minute and actually watch him play. How many of his shots actually have a chance of scoring?

He takes awful shots from all sorts of bad angles that don't have a hope in hell of scoring, or even getting a rebound.

And don't you have to actually score for your shooting percentage to be above zero?

Old
03-08-2013, 04:59 PM
Outside99*

Booth's GF and GA per 60 were poor last year and this year looks to be more of the same. This is factual. Posters can differ as to why.

Booth's biggest problem is that he frequently bobbles passes to him (at least 5 last night) which is tantamount to turning the puck over. When he does manage to receive one, he usually goes for his completely predictable, low shooting % outside power move. It works in a blue moon against weaker dmen who usually play for weaker teams - see the problem? for all intensive purposes, its a 1 on 3.

Ironically, he's had the most success handing the puck over and making a beeline for the front of the net where he can put his size and finishing ability to good use.

Old
03-08-2013, 05:02 PM
Dirkph
Mancrush = Malhotra

I don't like Booth, but I have to admit, he has his perks.

The distress is due to salary and expectation, but you have to admit, he plays like a bull: he skates well, plays hard, and hits hard. Unfortunately, he just has the same level of hockey intelligence as a bull.

If David Booth had similar hockey IQ as someone like Christopher Higgins, I could almost guarantee you he'd be a consistent 60+ point guy.

Old
03-08-2013, 05:06 PM
Basso

Booth and Ballard = Complience Buyouts.

Nuff said.

Old
03-08-2013, 05:08 PM
Wheatley
We Rabite You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basso View Post

Nuff said.
Bingo, but if we had to keep one, I'd definitely choose Ballard.

Old
03-08-2013, 05:17 PM
arsmaster*
semantic romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basso View Post

Nuff said.
When you buy them out, you get nothing back. You don't think a single team would move a mid round pick for either?

Now since I don't believe either are candidates for compliance buyouts, lets say we have the $8.5 to spend to replace them.

Who are you targetting as UFA's? You typed 'nuff said, I'd like you to say more.

Old
03-08-2013, 05:42 PM
Basso

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
When you buy them out, you get nothing back. You don't think a single team would move a mid round pick for either?

Now since I don't believe either are candidates for compliance buyouts, lets say we have the $8.5 to spend to replace them.

Who are you targetting as UFA's? You typed 'nuff said, I'd like you to say more.
I would be very surprised if Gillis can get a 4th round pick for either of these guys as other GM's are just going to wait and get them for free when we are forced to buy them out.

We won't have much to spend because the cap is going down.

Closed Thread