HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bickell over Leddy

Old
06-05-2013, 09:34 AM
digdug41982

vCash: 50
Bickell over Leddy

Nothing against Leddy at all. I appreciate his value quite a bit, however, I am fully convinced that Bickell is the guy I want if I have to choose, which we pretty much do. If it comes down to it, I'd resign Bickell and either:

A: Offer Leddy around 2.2M x 2 YRS and sight the Del Zotto deal, let him sit on it. Very risky because he could get offersheeted but it leaves open the possibility of retaining both.

B: Trade Leddy at the draft. We have Clendening about ready to come up. He isn't near the skater that Leddy is, but he can replace the offense.

These are the difficult decisions but they have to be made. We can't get anything for BB if we let him walk and we would be losing an indispensable player IMO. We need his size and powerforward play on this team badly. Losing Leddy hurts but you could package him with our 1st and get a very high pick in the draft. I'll throw up a prop on the main boards and see what people think about it.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 09:42 AM
LBS8844

vCash: 500
As much as Leddy has improved, and I believe he'll be a stalwart on next year's USA olympic team, Bickell should be priority #1. Highly doubt it'll play out that way.

LBS8844 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 09:45 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

i would not be at all supportive of them getting rid of leddy to keep bickell. i don't really care whether they keep bickell or not actually. obviously, he has been great these playoffs...but he has also been very inconsistent in the past...enough so that i can't be sure that the bickell we're seeing now will reappear again the future. they should only re-sign him if it makes financial sense.

as far as giving leddy an mdz-type contract, the problem with bridge contracts is they can end up costing you more in the longrun. i'd rather give leddy a longer contract.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 09:47 AM
digdug41982

Bickell, IMO, has been the best playoff performer on the Hawks over his 3 years with the team, AINEC. Frankly, I don't care if he only scores 20 goals in the regular season. He's a 40 goal man in the playoffs, with tenacity.

Old
06-05-2013, 10:12 AM
Hawkaholic

I'm with ya Coldsteel...personally, I think Leddy gets overrated on this board.

I can see that he is going to be good, and he is still young, but I don't see him as a top pairing Dman like others do.

Hawkaholic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 10:15 AM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

NO! I LOVE! Bickell and have been one of his biggest defenders and supporters on this site for years now. But you don't keep a 28 year old W with a streak past over a 22 year old D-man with a very bright future, especially considering the Hawks prospect pool which is dripping with NHL ready forwards and has maybe 1 NHL ready D man, and more likely 0.

Sir Psycho T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 10:18 AM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Psycho T View Post
NO! I LOVE! Bickell and have been one of his biggest defenders and supporters on this site for years now. But you don't keep a 28 year old W with a streak past over a 22 year old D-man with a very bright future, especially considering the Hawks prospect pool which is dripping with NHL ready forwards and has maybe 1 NHL ready D man, and more likely 0.
How many big body PF does Chicago have in it's system that could replace Bickell? None.

Leddy could potentially be replaced by Clendening.

I like the idea, but I don't think it will cost much to re-sign Leddy. He plays 3rd pairing mins, makes lots of mistakes still, and hasn't contributed much offensively in the playoffs.

But that said, these 2 should be our priority...screw Kruger, Stalberg, Emery, and Roszival, sign these guys first.

Hawkaholic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 10:20 AM
digdug41982

Ideally we keep both, but also consider what we could get for Leddy if it does come down to one or the other.

Old
06-05-2013, 10:29 AM
LBS8844

Not seeing how Bickell doesn't command at least $3.0-3.5M average over next 4 years at least, probably somewhat more $. Hope the Hawks can find a way to keep him, just not seeing it.

Old
06-05-2013, 10:47 AM
helicon1

I like Bickell as much as the rest of you, but I think this is slightly reactionary. Especially with the lack of prospect D ready to step in to any role (and conversely the many forwards that could). You look at moving Bolland and Frolik if you have to keep him, not Leddy. It shouldn't and won't be a choice between the two.

helicon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 10:52 AM
Sevanston

Leddy and Clendening play very different games. They're not as interchangeable as many seem to think.

Sevanston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 10:56 AM
digdug41982

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post
Leddy and Clendening play very different games. They're not as interchangeable as many seem to think.
Right, they aren't the same, but we have a guy that can replace Leddy. We don't have anyone to replace Bickell. The more I think about it, the stronger I feel about it. We just have to resign Bickell, see how much cap space we have after that, then try to resign Leddy.

Old
06-05-2013, 11:07 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Right, they aren't the same, but we have a guy that can replace Leddy. We don't have anyone to replace Bickell. The more I think about it, the stronger I feel about it. We just have to resign Bickell, see how much cap space we have after that, then try to resign Leddy.
So wait...Leddy is replaceable because we have a Dman not much like him with zero NHL experience. But Bickell is irreplaceable despite the fact we have Jayes who has nearly identical size and can be coached to play Bickell's role (if we trust the coaches to, you know, coach).

Okay then...

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 11:11 AM
digdug41982

Bickell is a very rare player. Very hard to get a guy like that. We had one (Buff) and lost it. Not this time, can't do it. We win with guys like this.

Old
06-05-2013, 11:14 AM
Sevanston

Quote:
I don't feel that Clendening can replace Leddy. I'm not sure he'll even come close.

Leddy's game is based on his fantastic skating. He can cover a lot of ice that way, push the rush, and get himself back in position quickly when things get a little dicey. He's improved a lot defensively this season mostly because he's able to close gaps so quickly.

Clendening isn't a bad skater, but he looks like one next to Leddy. His game is all about puck placement. He's a great shooter and passer who's smart in the offensive zone and it nets him a lot of points. But he's not as capable as Leddy at covering for mistakes, and he has a tendency to get burned.

The only place where I think there's really an argument about who is better is on the PP. But considering that the Hawks can barely even enter the zone on the PP -- let alone set up there -- I don't see how swapping one of our best players at PP zone entry for a great point man would help anything. Being a great point man doesn't count for anything if your team can never set up in the offensive zone to begin with.

For a team that plays the fast-skating transition game that the Hawks do, I just don't see how Clendening even comes close to replacing Leddy.

Sevanston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 11:14 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Who would that be? The unproven prospect who has never played in the NHL before?

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 11:17 AM
digdug41982

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
Who would that be? The unproven prospect who has never played in the NHL before?
How about Ryan Whitney on a cheap 1 year deal? Again, I want to keep both, obviously, but I just think Bickell means more to the team winning.

Old
06-05-2013, 11:20 AM
slappipappi

Someone will give Bickell 5 years at $3.5M+.

Pray it isn't us.

I like Bickell but you can't overpay guys like Bickell. He's going through a great hot streak, but he's still the player he was for the last 3 years.

If Bickell wants to stay for $2.5M, that's one thing.

slappipappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 11:22 AM
digdug41982

Bickell has been the best player on the Blackhawks in the playoffs for 3 years running, yes or no?

Because for 3.5M, I mean, it isn't even a question IMO, good deal for us.

Old
06-05-2013, 11:42 AM
Gurth

Just like Buff did, Bicks disappears for long stretches.

Not worth 3.5 to us.

Gurth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 11:54 AM
SchruteFarms
Cup #5!

Can't do that. The system is rich with wing prospects. Not so much at D.

SchruteFarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 12:40 PM
LBS8844

Quote:
Originally Posted by slappipappi View Post
Someone will give Bickell 5 years at $3.5M+.

Pray it isn't us.

I like Bickell but you can't overpay guys like Bickell. He's going through a great hot streak, but he's still the player he was for the last 3 years.

If Bickell wants to stay for $2.5M, that's one thing.
Seems he's a tad more now than the past 3 years. Bicks can pitch a tent (please, no perversion), and that's a valuable commodity come playoff time, as we all know, when most everything in front tends to be let go. Not sure $3M would be overpaying this time around, especially with his mobility and heavy quick-release snapper. Not sure he'd accept $3M.

Old
06-05-2013, 12:43 PM
hawksfan50

CLENDENNING CAN REPLACE LEDDY WITH PROBABLY BEYTER OFFENSE...because he is very good as a pp qb...can't skateike Leddy but is stronger on the walls and better on outlet passes up ice...if Leddy Could NOT hold down secomd pair minutes when he got the chance snd messed up eith Seabrook...then Clendenning sjould do fone for third pair monutes PLUS PP at a cheaper price..no..you Trade Leddy while he still has value because once he is seen to plateau as only thord pair minutes guy...his vslue will plummrt...trade him mow before evrryone wises up..Bickell's price keeps rising....They can always trade Mr. Not Intetested Kane because we were deluded he really was on a mission this year but when it counted most in playoffs he has fone diddley-poop!

hawksfan50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 12:57 PM
Sarava

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
i would not be at all supportive of them getting rid of leddy to keep bickell. i don't really care whether they keep bickell or not actually. obviously, he has been great these playoffs...but he has also been very inconsistent in the past...enough so that i can't be sure that the bickell we're seeing now will reappear again the future. they should only re-sign him if it makes financial sense.

as far as giving leddy an mdz-type contract, the problem with bridge contracts is they can end up costing you more in the longrun. i'd rather give leddy a longer contract.
The development of Bickell (and Byfuglien too while we're at it) mirrors how power forwards usually develop. Not really getting it until 3-5 years in to the league. With Byfuglien - it often appeared to be laziness that held him back. I never felt that with Bickell - but more that he didn't seem to have that inner fire in him needed to be a power forward. Obviously he has found that. Whatever the risk is (pretty small IMO), you gotta take it.

As for the OP. I posted the exact same thing about a week ago on the trade forum - that Leddy might be available due to having to pay Bickell....which is made possible by the emergence of Clendening. I would want something around the 10th pick in the draft back for Leddy. He would be a huge addition to some teams. The Flyers at #11 might be the best fit. Though I'd try to get them to add a little to the #11 pick.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 01:02 PM
MurrayBannerman
Uno Besto Washoooooo

vCash: 470
Let's get rid of Leddy so we can have no one who can break into the offensive zone on power plays. That's a good idea.

MurrayBannerman is offline   Reply With Quote