HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated"
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated" Rated PG13, unmoderated but threads must stay on topic - that means you can flame each other all you want as long as it's legal

Rand Paul's 11+ Hour Filibuster on the Senate Floor

Old
03-07-2013, 02:43 PM
theotis77

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Bass View Post
Btw, where is the ACLU on this? Oh, thats right, its a liberal President so carry on I supppose.
You're none too bright about what the ACLU actually does, are you?

theotis77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 02:46 PM
SonOfGom

Quote:
Btw, where is the ACLU on this? Oh, thats right, its a liberal President so carry on I supppose.

Quote:
The ACLU has doggedly sought information from the government through the Freedom of Information Act on drones and wholeheartedly supported Paul’s effort.

“It was a courageous and historic effort by Sen. Paul and his colleagues to demand information from this administration on an issue where they have refused to give it,” said Christopher Anders, senior legislative counsel to the ACLU. He said he hopes the ultimate broad Republican support for the filibuster signals a change in Congress.

“This is part of Congress reasserting its constitutional role of checks and balances between the president and the Congress. For too long on national security issues we’ve had congress out to lunch,” said Anders.

It might seem jarring that these liberals would be praising a Republican, but it is not. On this issue, their views are closer to Rand Paul’s than they are to President Obama’s. The ACLU has long criticized the extra-judicial nature of drones.
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics...-and-liberals/

SonOfGom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 02:46 PM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by theotis77 View Post
You're none too bright about what the ACLU actually does, are you?
Ahhh insulting my intelligence, now we are back on track!

03-07-2013, 02:48 PM
Sevanston

Quote:
And McCain and Graham need to show themselves out the door, their time has passed.
I think we can all agree on this much.

Sevanston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 02:48 PM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfGom View Post
Like I indicated before I stand corrected. My apologies to the ACLU.

Ronnie Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 02:49 PM
theotis77

Quote:
Ahhh insulting my intelligence, now we are back on track!
Insulting? No. Questioning? Rightfully so.

Old
03-07-2013, 02:49 PM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post
GOP needs to get new blood in the ranks, the old war horses need to be put out to pasture.

Old
03-07-2013, 02:52 PM
Cynicaps

Quote:
GOP needs to get new blood in the ranks, the old war horses need to be put out to pasture.
Both parties do. Problem is that society in general is in a logjam because the Boomers and even some pre-Boomers won't yield to the younger generations who actually could change things for the better.

Think of the Dems choices to run for President in 2016: there isn't a single person who will be under the age of 65 by then.

Cynicaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 02:54 PM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Quote:
Insulting? No. Questioning? Rightfully so.
And I can just assume as well you don't like opposing views so you're more comfortable insulting the people behind the views. You see I can also assume you're intolerant based on one post much like you did towards how bright I am from a mistaken post I admittedly made.

Old
03-07-2013, 02:55 PM
Silver

Quote:
I'm just stunned you provided a link that didn't tell us how terrible the white man is, lol.
Dude, you're on fire. Just making me look STUPID. Why do I even keep replying to you, when I just look dumber and dumber each time?

Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 02:56 PM
theotis77

Quote:
And I can just assume as well you don't like opposing views so you're more comfortable insulting the people behind the views. You see I can also assume you're intolerant based on one post much like you did towards how bright I am from a mistaken post I admittedly made.
No, I assume how "bright" you are, from the idiotic brick-brained talking point of "OMG LIBERLA ACLU = BAD".

Old
03-07-2013, 02:56 PM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynicaps View Post
Both parties do. Problem is that society in general is in a logjam because the Boomers and even some pre-Boomers won't yield to the younger generations who actually could change things for the better.

Think of the Dems choices to run for President in 2016: there isn't a single person who will be under the age of 65 by then.
I couldn't've agreed more. Both sides have a OBN mentality, it needs to change but money controls the candidates.

Old
03-07-2013, 02:59 PM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Quote:
No, I assume how "bright" you are, from the idiotic brick-brained talking point of "OMG LIBERLA ACLU = BAD".
You know you're just proving my point about your intolerance, continue with the insults man, I'm just going to assume once again thats what you do best, lash out at anyone with a differing vewpoint than you.

Old
03-07-2013, 03:00 PM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
Dude, you're on fire. Just making me look STUPID. Why do I even keep replying to you, when I just look dumber and dumber each time?
You name might as well just be Harry Dunn lol. Though I always thought he was smarter than Lloyd.

Old
03-07-2013, 03:01 PM
theotis77

Quote:
You know you're just proving my point about your intolerance, continue with the insults man, I'm just going to assume once again thats what you do best, lash out at anyone with a differing vewpoint than you.
Yeah, that's the ticket. Bury that head deeper. I'm sure it feels safer all the way in there.

Old
03-07-2013, 03:01 PM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Alright guys, I'm done here, cheers!

Old
03-07-2013, 03:08 PM
Cynicaps

Quote:
I couldn't've agreed more. Both sides have a OBN mentality, it needs to change but money controls the candidates.
This is why I think it's time to blow it up and start over. What the US has now is worse than a dictatorship because at least dictators care about the poor and that candidates cannot be bought out by corporations and special interests.

I'd rather forcibly shake up the US if it meant this century was a "hard reset" than perform genocide like Germany and Russia did.

Cynicaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 03:09 PM
Silver

Quote:
I'm with Lawrence Lessig.

Lessig ‏@lessig
There is plenty to disagree with Rand Paul about. But this filibuster is not. Thank you, sir.

Sure it's grandstanding, but it's grandstanding to try and ensure the checks and balances principles the US government was founded on. One of the duties of the legislative branch is to properly reign in the executive branch, and that's exactly what Paul was calling on his fellow Senators to do.

At the very least, I hope this moves the criticism of Obama onto a real issue like extrajudicial drone strikes rather than the long-tired issue of Benghazi. McCain and Graham really need to give that a rest.
On this very narrow issue, definitely. The problem is that Rand Paul isn't a champion of civil liberties. Like Kirk pointed out, Paul's idea of just how many civil liberties you get changes depending on your genitalia.

Just like his Daddy, who used to rail about pork and was one of the best at bringing it home, I just don't think that Paul is sincere here. I'm glad the issue is getting raised though. I used to warn Republicans who were pushing for restrictions on civil liberties in the Bush era, "You're ok with it now, but wait until President Hilary Clinton has that same power."

I don't want President Bristol Palin to have the power, so even if I didn't have a philosophical objection against Obama being able to do it, I have a practical one.

Last edited by Silver: 03-07-2013 at 03:25 PM.
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 03:14 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Harry Reid is responding to this in the right way, by praising the way Paul chose to filibuster and arguing that this should be required in all instances of a filibuster:

http://www.politico.com/blogs/on-con....html?hp=l1_b3

Quote:
“I have been involved in a few filibusters, as Rand Paul did yesterday. And what I have learned from my experiences in talking filibusters…you need strong convictions but also a strong bladder. It’s obvious Sen. Paul has both,” Reid said.

Reid accused Republicans of taking “the easy way out” when blocking of the nomination of Caitlin Halligan on Wednesday. Paul, on the other hand, spoke on the floor with out sitting or using the bathroom for as long as he could.

When he finished his filibuster, at 12:39 a.m Thursday, Paul said “I have discovered there are some limits to filibustering, and I am going to have to take care of one of those in a few moments here.”

Reid said that’s Paul’s approach was the right way to filibuster.

“This can be a Senate where ideas are debated in full public view and obstruction happens in full public view as well, or it can be Senate where a couple senators obstruct from behind closed doors without ever coming to the Senate floor,” Reid said.

Epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 03:14 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
Yes he did, and the rules of that institution were established precisely so that he could.
This rule was instituted precisely so a single person could paralyze the senate if they had enough breath?

PricePkPatch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 03:41 PM
Sevanston

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
This rule was instituted precisely so a single person could paralyze the senate if they had enough breath?
It's been a known practice for about two hundred years.

Safe to say if they wanted it gone, it'd be gone. Especially since they even reformed the practice just a few months ago.

Sevanston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 03:52 PM
Troy McClure

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
Did he, single-handely, paralyzed the institution for an extensive period of time or not?
No, it wasn't single handed. He had a few others join in as well to help out here and there to give him a break.

Troy McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 04:26 PM
Kadri43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy McClure View Post
No, it wasn't single handed. He had a few others join in as well to help out here and there to give him a break.
I was really surprised by who helped him.

Kadri43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 04:29 PM
Kadri43

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
I ****ing can't stand the guy, but doing a filibuster on a real and important topic on the oversight of drone attacks, I think was a good thing.
This.

It really should not matter whether you support the right or left, Obama or Rand Paul. The only thing that should matter is that a politician stood up for hours to debate something he thought was important. It is quite clear to me that he clearly "fought" for the liberty of all Americans in the 13 hour filibuster. I seriously cannot possibly believe that people could possibly crucify him when he is one of the few politicians willing to stand up to drones bombing which is possibly the biggest injustice in America today.

Old
03-07-2013, 04:34 PM
Kadri43

Quote:
Graham and especially McCain are ****ing d-bags.