HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Hodgson Trade Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
03-12-2013, 10:11 AM
Tiranis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgy View Post
72 points. Which, according to Buffalo's broadcast team, makes him the 2nd highest scoring sophomore this season.
He's on pace for 66 points right now. He'll likely end up around 35 points this season, or on pace for 60, given his production following that hot streak he and Vanek were on.

Regardless, I was merely pointing out the ridiculousness of expecting him to score 100+ points or even 80+ points. Eberle came preciously close to 80 points last season and now he's on pace for 60. People thought I was crazy when I said that's where he would likely end up.

Old
03-12-2013, 10:18 AM
Tim McCracken
Good loser = LOSER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgy View Post
You have to remember that the Canucks may have thought they were pulling a fast one on a team acquiring Hodgson as they thought they "built him up". Of course, after the start to this season, it appears it was Buffalo pulling a fast one on Vancouver,

Gragnani sucked then. Fans in Buffalo called him Crapnani. It is likely he didn't have much value to Buffalo as they didn't think they would play him enough (because he sucks) for him to not become a UFA. The Canucks basically played him last year just so they could retain his rights, which ironically, they didn't use.

72 points. Which, according to Buffalo's broadcast team, makes him the 2nd highest scoring sophomore this season.
The Canucks didn't really think they were pulling a fast one, it was just Gills' spin to make people forget they mishandled Hodgson from the start. How does a situation go from many including the GM citing a guy's character on draft day and having the kid express how excited he is to be drafted by said team on multiple occasions to the apparent end result of him being a liability and problem? Only in Vancouver and I cannot believe Gills and AV have skated on this.

http://youtu.be/tgylf-zgbQ4
http://youtu.be/4vLjap8G_G8
http://youtu.be/JxhXpZMzpfE

Old
03-12-2013, 10:23 AM
Alflives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McCracken View Post
The Canucks didn't really think they were pulling a fast one, it was just Gills' spin to make people forget they mishandled Hodgson from the start. How does a situation go from many including the GM citing a guy's character on draft day and having the kid express how excited he is to be drafted by said team on multiple occasions to the apparent end result of him being a liability and problem? Only in Vancouver and I cannot believe Gills and AV have skated on this.

http://youtu.be/tgylf-zgbQ4
http://youtu.be/4vLjap8G_G8
http://youtu.be/JxhXpZMzpfE
Excellent post! There was never any issue of Hodgson's character at any time in his career, excepting that comment by Gillis. In fact Hodgson was the captain of his teams, and considered a leader by most. He is a proven winner too - U 18 worlds and U 20 worlds, where he was (arguably) the best player - playing against the best players of his age group.

Old
03-12-2013, 10:26 AM
Babs

Sure everything is rosy with Hodgy in Sabretown right now but what happens when he slumps a bit next year during the grind of a full sched. What happens if during that skid Grigs cuts into his minutes? If history shows correctly Hodgy and his big head will start kicking sand around their sandbox before taking his ball and going home to tell Daddy.

Cody's head is not only literally too big its also figuratively too big. Everyone should keep the spoiled kid factor in mind when evaluating Hodgson. There's big negatives there lurking beneath the surface that surely offset his flashy offensive play.

Old
03-12-2013, 10:27 AM
Jay Cee
P4G

Gillis was wrong on draft day about his character?

CoHo's "character" was overstated by those who chose to buy in?

Lots of possible answers.

Old
03-12-2013, 10:28 AM
Alan Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alflives View Post
Excellent post! There was never any issue of Hodgson's character at any time in his career, excepting that comment by Gillis. In fact Hodgson was the captain of his teams, and considered a leader by most. He is a proven winner too - U 18 worlds and U 20 worlds, where he was (arguably) the best player - playing against the best players of his age group.
Everybody, inside and outside of the Canucks organization was raving about the kids maturity and character...and then our coach publicly called the kid a liar and a faker. It's no bloody wonder there were some trust issues between the coach and the player.

Old
03-12-2013, 10:32 AM
monster_bertuzzi

I should dig up the post game threads after the Detroit/Boston/Chicago games....Hodgson was a saviour around here.

Old
03-12-2013, 10:34 AM
Alan Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
I should dig up the post game threads after the Detroit/Boston/Chicago games....Hodgson was a saviour around here.
Yep. A lot of folks on here cheering for laundry.

Old
03-12-2013, 10:36 AM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Cee View Post
Gillis was wrong about his Dad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
He's on pace for 66 points right now. He'll likely end up around 35 points this season, or on pace for 60, given his production following that hot streak he and Vanek were on.

Regardless, I was merely pointing out the ridiculousness of expecting him to score 100+ points or even 80+ points. Eberle came preciously close to 80 points last season and now he's on pace for 60. People thought I was crazy when I said that's where he would likely end up.
Games *should* tighten up as teams fight for position to finish in the top 8 of their conference. As well, for teams out of it, you'll have players likely look to better themselves (either for their next contract or their next teams). I would expect the points overall (from everyone) to drop down.

Old
03-12-2013, 12:45 PM
RezChi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Gillis was wrong about his Dad.
Conservative cabinet minister and a mining association president \_(ツ)_/

Old
03-12-2013, 01:17 PM
sully1410

vCash: 50
[mod]

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me that it was Gillis and AV that did all the mud slinging, but it's Hodgson's character that is on trial.

That doesn't make a lot of sense.

I do vaguely remember Gary Roberts calling Gillis a Moron...which I thought was pretty funny.

I seem to remember CoHo staying pretty silent.

Last edited by Timmy: 03-12-2013 at 02:08 PM. Reason: referencing deleted post
Old
03-12-2013, 01:52 PM
Zarpan

Quote:
What is Hodgson's ceiling judging on his play this season? #1 center, plays 20+ minutes every night, gets 30+ goals and 100+ points. No he's not Stamkos, but he just might be on the same level as Tavaras.
Hard to say since some players reach their peak or near peak pretty quickly. Nash scored 41 goals in his second season, which still is his season high.

He could easily end up being Langkow / Roy. Solid players in their prime, but not on the same level as Tavares.

Old
03-12-2013, 01:55 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by RezChi View Post
Conservative cabinet minister and a mining association president \_(ツ)_/
Is that supposed to mean something? Belinda Stronich was also both of those (or something similiar)....

Old
03-12-2013, 01:59 PM
RezChi

Quote:
Is that supposed to mean something? Belinda Stronich was also both of those (or something similiar)....
With power, usually comes with arrogance.

Old
03-12-2013, 02:05 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by RezChi View Post
With power, usually comes with arrogance.
To be fair, he was only looking for what he thought was the best interests of his son - as any father would (doesn't make the meddling right but understandable).

Old
03-12-2013, 02:13 PM
Stories Tales Lies
and Exaggerations

Quote:
To be fair, he was only looking for what he thought was the best interests of his son - as any father would (doesn't make the meddling right but understandable).
The way he did it (Granted from our limited knowledge) Points to a character floor, (and by a character floor I mean a whole bunch)

Old
03-12-2013, 02:14 PM
freakydave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Cee View Post

CoHo's "character" was overstated by those who chose to buy in?

Lots of possible answers.
The most likely of which is Gillis & the coaching staff screwed up royally.
The guy was a captain of our national team at no point was character an issue.
When he gets to Vancouver he injures his back & is basically called a faker by staff mgmt.AV really has no clue how to use skill players.Hodgson's family has unrealistic expectations re icetime & you have a rift that can't be repaired.Who loses out the fans.
Kassian may or may not become a great power forward but the time to acquire him was not then & not at the cost of skill & youth.

Old
03-12-2013, 02:16 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakydave View Post
The most likely of which is Gillis & the coaching staff screwed up royally.
The guy was a captain of our national team at no point was character an issue.
When he gets to Vancouver he injures his back & is basically called a faker by staff mgmt.AV really has no clue how to use skill players.Hodgson's family has unrealistic expectations re icetime & you have a rift that can't be repaired.Who loses out the fans.
Kassian may or may not become a great power forward but the time to acquire him was not then & not at the cost of skill & youth.
Being a captain of that team is itself doesn't preclude a d bag from getting that moniker (not in any implying that's Cody only stating it doesn't mean it's not possible for a player to be that despite being a Captain).

For example - Patrice Cormier (Captain of Team Canada team World Juniors).

Old
03-12-2013, 02:19 PM
Alflives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarpan View Post
Hard to say since some players reach their peak or near peak pretty quickly. Nash scored 41 goals in his second season, which still is his season high.

He could easily end up being Langkow / Roy. Solid players in their prime, but not on the same level as Tavares.
He's already at the Tavaras level, or close. Hodgson is playing like other young centers, who are considered franchise type players.

Old
03-12-2013, 02:21 PM
Alflives

Quote:
Being a captain of that team is itself doesn't preclude a d bag from getting that moniker (not in any implying that's Cody only stating it doesn't mean it's not possible for a player to be that despite being a Captain).

How about Jonathan Towes? (Captain of Team Canada's World Juniors) The Canuck's management knows something about Hodgson they are not willing to state publicly.

Old
03-12-2013, 02:25 PM
Babs

Quote:
He's already at the Tavaras level, or close. Hodgson is playing like other young centers, who are considered franchise type players.
Hodgson 23 years old- 26 games- 10g 11a= 21 points
Tavares 22 years old- 26 games- 16g 13a= 29 points

Your love for Hodgson has you out to lunch on your comparisons.

Old
03-12-2013, 02:31 PM
david999

Bottom line is Gillis thought he was improving the team with this trade. Unfortunately, like the impending goalie trade, it was a disaster.

Old
03-12-2013, 02:31 PM
mossey3535

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1410 View Post
The thing that really puzzles me is that Van traded away the better Defensemen in the trade as well.
From what I can tell from the Sabres board, Sulzer hasn't been that good.

Old
03-12-2013, 02:38 PM
freakydave

Quote:

I get that for sure--but as far as I know Gillis & Canucks mgmt (& some Homers)are the only ones claiming coho has character issues.The guys been playing hockey his whole life & Gillis & AV are the first to notice?

Old
03-12-2013, 02:49 PM
Babs

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakydave View Post
I get that for sure--but as far as I know Gillis & Canucks mgmt (& some Homers)are the only ones claiming coho has character issues.The guys been playing hockey his whole life & Gillis & AV are the first to notice?
Don't know for sure if they were the first to notice but they were to first to say something....sort of.

Closed Thread