HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hodgson Trade Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
03-12-2013, 03:30 PM
Bleach Clean

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tantalum View Post
Bottom line is he thought he was improving the ORGANIZATION by bringing in a piece it was missing. We won't know the results of that appraisal for quite some time. Gillis isn't just concentrated on making moves that make the team better in the now but also the future. Kassian was clearly more of a future move.

So few get this. People think that because he made a move at the deadline for a contending team, that he was making a move for "now". He wasn't. He felt that this was the right time to capitalize on an asset for a player he coveted, so he used the timing to get the deal done. The results of which won't be known for a while yet.

I like Kassian's chances though, and I was pissed when Hodgson was dealt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babs View Post
One name you forgot to mention here is Kadri who is also tied with Cody here, but instead of -1 Kadri is +14 with 4 more pts. Therefore Nazim Kadri is better then Cody Hodgson. Agreed?

Sound logic. I wonder what will be said?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
And I imagine it'll be just as bleak and cold for him as the real thing if he gets his 5M and can't sustain his production while also not being willing or able to improve his play in his own zone.

Though Winter the human is still a tool regardless.

That's what I'm very curious to find out. How will be viewed when he cashes in and then the production isn't maintained? What does he do then? At that point, we'll find out just how valuable Cody really is.

Old
Doobie Dubois

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigsaw99 View Post
He is a hall of famer with many cup rings and considered top 10 hockey player of all time. Who's comparing Hodgson to Messier now? they are nothing alike.
You're all saying Cody was the captain of the under 18 team and implying that makes a player have strong character, which is definitely not the case.

Old
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 696
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuck This View Post
I love all the people here crapping on Gillis and making it seem like Cody didn't do anything. The kid asked for a trade and didn't wanna fight for ice time behind Kesler and Henrik. Grow the ***** up. It happens and it won't be the last time it happens here either. I'm happy we have Kassian and I'll think he'll turn out be a force. If a player doesn't wanna be here I'm happy Gillis has the balls to ship those players out. He knew the nerdy fan boys would have nerd rage. You'd think a player with such strong "character" as Cody, like the majority of you pointed out, would take his lumps playing on a cup contender learning from some of the best players in the world, rather than playing on a bottom dweller, in an organization known for laziness and complaisance.
Source?

Can you really blame Hodgson for not being happy with his role here though? We weren't really giving him much opportunity at all. With Kesler injured last February it would have made more sense to rest Kesler so his shoulder doesn't get as bad as it did, give Hodgson those minutes, and then bring back Kesler in time for the playoffs. The whole situation, amongst other mishandled situations in past years, really should be an embarrassment for our organization.

03-12-2013, 03:32 PM
RezChi

Quote:
I love all the people here crapping on Gillis and making it seem like Cody didn't do anything. The kid asked for a trade and didn't wanna fight for ice time behind Kesler and Henrik. Grow the ***** up. It happens and it won't be the last time it happens here either. I'm happy we have Kassian and I'll think he'll turn out be a force. If a player doesn't wanna be here I'm happy Gillis has the balls to ship those players out. He knew the nerdy fan boys would have nerd rage. You'd think a player with such strong "character" as Cody, like the majority of you pointed out, would take his lumps playing on a cup contender learning from some of the best players in the world, rather than playing on a bottom dweller, in an organization known for laziness and complaisance.
I think you mad and in denial

Old
03-12-2013, 03:34 PM
Doobie Dubois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
So few get this. People think that because he made a move at the deadline for a contending team, that he was making a move for "now". He wasn't. He felt that this was the right time to capitalize on an asset for a player he coveted, so he used the timing to get the deal done. The results of which won't be known for a while yet.

I like Kassian's chances though, and I was pissed when Hodgson was dealt.

Sound logic. I wonder what will be said?...

That's what I'm very curious to find out. How will be viewed when he cashes in and then the production isn't maintained? What does he do then? At that point, we'll find out just how valuable Cody really is.
Exactly. Gillis obviously felt Cody's stock was at an all time high, and come playoff time when he'd be out of the lineup because of his defensive liability that it would drop. There was no telling that trade would have been available in the offseason. What if Kassian broke out after the trade deadline and Cody couldn't get in the lineup. Would Buffalo still do that trade?

Old
03-12-2013, 03:35 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Can you really blame Hodgson for not being happy with his role here though? We weren't really giving him much opportunity at all. With Kesler injured last February it would have made more sense to rest Kesler so his shoulder doesn't get as bad as it did, give Hodgson those minutes, and then bring back Kesler in time for the playoffs. The whole situation, amongst other mishandled situations in past years, really should be an embarrassment for our organization.
He had 3 points in his last 14 games before the trade. If he wanted more minutes he should've done better with the soft minutes he was already getting. He got absolutely killed by Detroit's 3rd line too.

Old
03-12-2013, 03:36 PM
jigsaw99

Quote:
You're all saying Cody was the captain of the under 18 team and implying that makes a player have strong character, which is definitely not the case.
How do you know he doesn't have the strong character? You never been in the locker room. he is a leader for his junior team too and was selected as captain of the 2010 WJC had him not get injured and played. He has credentials to be a leader which requires good character. Maybe not now but in the future he will be a good captain. He is only 22.

Old
03-12-2013, 03:36 PM
Doobie Dubois

Quote:
Originally Posted by RezChi View Post
I think you mad and in denial
It's *****ing proven fact he asked for a trade TWICE. I'm not the one in denial. You all are. He didn't wanna be here. FACT. Gillis had to get the best long term asset he could.

Old
03-12-2013, 03:38 PM
Alan Jackson

Quote:
Source?

Hodgson likely would have been fine with his role here under a different coach. Vigneault permanently damaged the relationship when he questioned Hodgson's character and heart.

Also consider Vigneault publicly insinuated that Hodgson would *never* earn a bigger role here because he was playing behind a "Hart Trophy winner and a Selke winner".

For Hodgson, the writing was very clearly on the wall.

Old
RezChi

Quote:
It's *****ing proven fact he asked for a trade TWICE. I'm not the one in denial. You all are. He didn't wanna be here. FACT. Gillis had to get the best long term asset he could.
Please provide us with factual dependable sources that states that he asked for a trade

Old
Doobie Dubois

Quote:
Source?

I can't comprehend people not buying this. It blows my mind. It's just so illogical to think otherwise. I guess there's no such thing as evolution? It's pretty much what I'm gathering from all of you. Use your brains.....

Old
jigsaw99

Quote:
It's *****ing proven fact he asked for a trade TWICE. :laugh: I'm not the one in denial. You all are. He didn't wanna be here. FACT. Gillis had to get the best long term asset he could.
source?

Old
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
He had 3 points in his last 14 games before the trade. If he wanted more minutes he should've done better with the soft minutes he was already getting. He got absolutely killed by Detroit's 3rd line too.
Would that by any chance have been the Detroit game where he scored the GWG?

Old
03-12-2013, 03:39 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Would that by any chance have been the Detroit game where he scored the GWG?
No...

Old
03-12-2013, 03:40 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Do you have a source for this? Otherwise how can this be a proven fact?

Old
03-12-2013, 03:44 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
No...
Sorry you're right, it was just a game tying goal late in the 3rd period.

Old
03-12-2013, 03:45 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Sorry you're right, it was just a game tying goal late in the 3rd period.
After he was directly responsible for 2GA with his poor coverage. Clearly that goal made up for the 2GA, right? He went -3 in that season series despite scoring twice.

Old
03-12-2013, 03:46 PM
Doobie Dubois

Quote:
Originally Posted by RezChi View Post
Please provide us with factual dependable sources that states that he asked for a trade
It never came out in the media so how could I show you a news clipping of it? There were whispers. I also know a very reputable writer who now writes for the Globe, but used to be a beat writer here. He happens to be friends with the Aquilinis and I get information from him. I was told he asked for a trade four days after our stanley cup final loss and a few weeks before the trade deadline. That's why he got so many O zone starts. Gillis wanted his trade value increased. You can't always walk like blind cattle, young padawan.

Old
jigsaw99

Quote:
I can't comprehend people not buying this. It blows my mind. It's just so illogical to think otherwise. I guess there's no such thing as evolution? It's pretty much what I'm gathering from all of you. Use your brains.....
there's proof of evolution. you have no proof.

Old
Babs

Quote:
Except Kadri isn't tied with Cody in terms of ES + SHP. Although I will say that Kadri's production this year has been impressive. Do you really think Kadri will continue shooting at 20% though?
Crosby has 0 shorthanded points, is that dealbreaker? Short handed points are a crap shoot I could care less if my 1C has any at all would rather focus and evp and ppp as well as +/- as deciding factors.

To answer your question I would not expect Kadri to maintain that gross shooting % however I for sure expect him to maintain his rate of scoring.

Old
03-12-2013, 03:47 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Source?

Maybe you can watch him fumble through his Oake interview again if you're not convinced. Or Winter's deleted tweets. Or his Dad. Or Gillis. Or Friedman. Or AV. Or Gallagher. Or Willis. Or Wetcoaster. And so on...

But hey, check your sources! lol

Old
03-12-2013, 03:48 PM
jigsaw99

Quote:
It never came out in the media so how could I show you a news clipping of it? There were whispers. I also know a very reputable writer who now writes for the Globe, but used to be a beat writer here. He happens to be friends with the Aquilinis and I get information from him. I was told he asked for a trade four days after our stanley cup final loss and a few weeks before the trade deadline. You can't always walk like blind cattle, young padawan.
not all of us have an "inside source" we can't just believe in air. plus i call BS on that "Globe" writer friend of yours... if he's a writer why didn't he write a story about this instead of keeping to himself and talking to you? Not really doing his job as a writer is he?

Old
03-12-2013, 03:49 PM
sully1410
#EggosForEleven

vCash: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alflives View Post
How about Jonathan Towes? (Captain of Team Canada's World Juniors) The Canuck's management knows something about Hodgson they are not willing to state publicly.
That was Letang.

Old
03-12-2013, 03:50 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
After he was directly responsible for 2GA with his poor coverage. Clearly that goal made up for the 2GA, right? He went -3 in that season series despite scoring twice.
Well rookies do need to be sheltered defensively. We had a top C prospect in Cody Hodgson who was great offensively but weak defensively, and now he's on another team dominating as a 1C. We could certainly use that offense in our lineup right about now.

Old
03-12-2013, 03:50 PM
Johnny Canucker

Hodgson, Grabner, Mitchell, Salo,

Gillis has a terrible track record.

Also signing duct tape Kesler to a big deal, not getting Ryan O Reilly, signing Manny MAlhotra, signing Edler to a big contract, and not getting Justin Shultz are just to name a few.

Closed Thread