HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hodgson Trade Discussion

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-12-2013, 06:04 PM
  #601
Dado
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Speaking of players we don't want...Good lord...Kadri's +/-On60 is top shelf, practically the same as Henrik's.

 
Old
03-12-2013, 06:27 PM
  #602
opendoor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 10,870
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
That stat belongs to Blake Wheeler, who is another guy people have wanted on this team. Hodgson is also tied with a guy named John Tavares, while being on the ice for more goals for than Tavares this year. But I suppose we wouldn't want him either because he's not good defensively?
Tavares plays in front of terrible goaltending (.890 5-on-5 team sv% which is the 3rd worst in the league). That's why his GA/60 isn't appreciably worse than his teammates' because they all suffer through the same poor goaltending.

Buffalo on the other hand has a decent .917 5-on-5 sv% overall and that balloons to .940 when Hodgson's on the bench. So there's a much more drastic difference between Hodgson and his teammates and that shows up in the GA/60 numbers when you compare Hodgson to the other forwards who aren't on his line.

Basically Tavares' line gets by far the most minutes on his team which has awful goaltending so his GA numbers are high. Hodgson gets slightly more 5-on-5 minutes than the 2nd and 3rd line centers on a team that generally has good goaltending yet his GA are high. Big difference once you account for the context.

opendoor is offline  
Old
03-12-2013, 07:01 PM
  #603
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM
 
vanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 14,115
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
It was when Freidman was on TEAM 1040 a few weeks ago talking about the O'Reilly situation and how his dad was meddling. He mentioned that Hodgson's dad called him up after the trade last year because he didn't like how Friedman was characterizing Hodgson's camp on HNIC.

Pretty funny that Cody's dad's idea of rebutting the idea that he's meddling in his son's affairs is to call up and hassle probably the most respectable hockey journalist over something he said about his son.
Don't know why he'd be so worked up over something his son's agent (who was for all intents and purposes working for the family as a whole) already publicly said on Twitter.

By his own admission Winter was told by the Hodgsons to pester the GM until a trade was finally made. Probably a reason why CH went through so many agents before. If your agent isn't going to keep quiet about it, I don't see why Friedman needs to either. Just hilarious.

vanuck is offline  
Old
03-12-2013, 07:04 PM
  #604
Bleach Clean
Moderator
 
Bleach Clean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 19,357
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Had a brain cramp there, should have check the trusty BTN. But before I can respond, I see that opendoor has already gotten to it.

Bleach Clean is offline  
Old
03-12-2013, 07:09 PM
  #605
mossey3535
Registered User
 
mossey3535's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,910
vCash: 500
I vote we close this thread; set the hfboards filter to reject CoHo, cody and Hodgson and replace them with 'he-who-shall-not-be-named'; and get back to whining about Kassian not being in front of the net on the PP or with a decent center at ES.

mossey3535 is offline  
Old
03-12-2013, 07:30 PM
  #606
LolClarkson*
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Embrace the hate
Posts: 8,906
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgy View Post
You have to remember that the Canucks may have thought they were pulling a fast one on a team acquiring Hodgson as they thought they "built him up". Of course, after the start to this season, it appears it was Buffalo pulling a fast one on Vancouver,



Gragnani sucked then. Fans in Buffalo called him Crapnani. It is likely he didn't have much value to Buffalo as they didn't think they would play him enough (because he sucks) for him to not become a UFA. The Canucks basically played him last year just so they could retain his rights, which ironically, they didn't use.



72 points. Which, according to Buffalo's broadcast team, makes him the 2nd highest scoring sophomore this season.
The sad part is, this isn't the first fast one Buffalo has pulled on us. Makes me think that the Lindy Ruff idea is not a good one. I support AV anyway..

LolClarkson* is offline  
Old
03-12-2013, 07:37 PM
  #607
LolClarkson*
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Embrace the hate
Posts: 8,906
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeywoot View Post
That wasn't the question posed.

Clearly a minimum level of reading ability is not required for these forums. Thanks for sharing

If you think Cody Hodgson= Claude Giroux or Logan Couture

Cody is that you?

Who said NHL players don't read these forums?
Logan Coture and Claude Giroux are appropriate comparisons.

LolClarkson* is offline  
Old
03-12-2013, 08:06 PM
  #608
dave babych returns
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 4,977
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Cody is equivalent to Sidney now?
All I am saying is, Cody Hodgson and Chris Kunitz are among the leagues most prolific scorers this year and as such must be among the league's best players.

Put them together on a line and you've got lightning in a bottle, I bet!

dave babych returns is offline  
Old
03-12-2013, 08:59 PM
  #609
Bleach Clean
Moderator
 
Bleach Clean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 19,357
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldrunner View Post
Logan Coture and Claude Giroux are appropriate comparisons.

Because Couture and Giroux are also strictly 1way players? No. I don't think so.

Bleach Clean is offline  
Old
03-13-2013, 01:39 AM
  #610
Johnny Canucker
Registered User
 
Johnny Canucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 8,096
vCash: 500
Cody Hodgson is 1 point behind stamkos and sedin

Johnny Canucker is offline  
Old
03-13-2013, 02:30 AM
  #611
The Horvatian One
228 LBS of Pain
 
The Horvatian One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,372
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Canucker View Post
Cody Hodgson is 1 point behind stamkos and sedin
So your point is you're a stat watcher? Gotcha.

The Horvatian One is offline  
Old
03-13-2013, 02:44 AM
  #612
opendoor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 10,870
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Canucker View Post
Cody Hodgson is 1 point behind stamkos and sedin
He's 16 points behind Stamkos.

opendoor is offline  
Old
03-13-2013, 02:56 AM
  #613
John Bender*
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 6,713
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Canucker View Post
Cody Hodgson is 1 point behind stamkos and sedin
Thats only because the Sabres are sheltering him in hopes of trading him at the deadline for a player that can't help them right now.

John Bender* is offline  
Old
03-13-2013, 03:17 AM
  #614
opendoor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 10,870
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanGrossman View Post
Thats only because the Sabres are sheltering him in hopes of trading him at the deadline for a player that can't help them right now.
Actually they're using him so they can tank and draft a real #1 center.

opendoor is offline  
Old
03-13-2013, 04:11 AM
  #615
Zarpan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,899
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
Tavares plays in front of terrible goaltending (.890 5-on-5 team sv% which is the 3rd worst in the league). That's why his GA/60 isn't appreciably worse than his teammates' because they all suffer through the same poor goaltending.

Buffalo on the other hand has a decent .917 5-on-5 sv% overall and that balloons to .940 when Hodgson's on the bench. So there's a much more drastic difference between Hodgson and his teammates and that shows up in the GA/60 numbers when you compare Hodgson to the other forwards who aren't on his line.

Basically Tavares' line gets by far the most minutes on his team which has awful goaltending so his GA numbers are high. Hodgson gets slightly more 5-on-5 minutes than the 2nd and 3rd line centers on a team that generally has good goaltending yet his GA are high. Big difference once you account for the context.
I'll add that Tavares's GA/60 is 3.71 vs. 2.97 for the team when he's off the ice.

Hodgson's GA/60 is 4.39 vs. 1.84 for the team when he's off the ice.

In terms of getting points, Cody also has a big advantage playing with Vanek and Pominville. Tavares has Moulson and Boyes. Moulson's pretty good now, but was a 25 year old AHLer before joining the Isles and Tavares, so a fair bit of his success and development can probably be attributed to Tavares. Boyes was Buffalo's 11th leading scorer last season, and now has more points than Pominville due to playing with Tavares.

Vanek and Pominville were already very good players.

Zarpan is offline  
Old
03-13-2013, 05:00 AM
  #616
Sergei Shirokov
Registered User
 
Sergei Shirokov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: British Columbia
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,366
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mossey3535 View Post
I vote we close this thread; set the hfboards filter to reject CoHo, cody and Hodgson and replace them with 'he-who-shall-not-be-named'; and get back to whining about Kassian not being in front of the net on the PP or with a decent center at ES.
I hear ya, I vote we close it too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldrunner View Post
Logan Coture and Claude Giroux are appropriate comparisons.
LOL.

No, not even close.

Couture and Giroux are fast and can play defense, and they are better defensively, and they have more character. And they are better and more proven offensively.

Sergei Shirokov is online now  
Old
03-13-2013, 05:48 AM
  #617
Derp Kassian
Registered User
 
Derp Kassian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,440
vCash: 500
Cody Hodgson = Derek Roy

Derp Kassian is offline  
Old
03-13-2013, 09:34 AM
  #618
hockeywoot
Registered User
 
hockeywoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: China
Posts: 1,153
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldrunner View Post
Logan Coture and Claude Giroux are appropriate comparisons.
Not sure if serious?

hockeywoot is offline  
Old
03-13-2013, 10:36 AM
  #619
Babs
Registered User
 
Babs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Kelowna
Country: Canada
Posts: 532
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Canucker View Post
Cody Hodgson is 1 point behind stamkos and sedin
Stamkos!!? Oh well no worries you are not the first one here to completely make **** up.

I think if we are just looking at stats a more noteworthy comparison is Nazim Kadri is clearly a better player. I wonder how many of these Hodgson homies hated the idea of trading for him?

Babs is offline  
Old
03-13-2013, 11:00 AM
  #620
Alflives*
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,745
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarpan View Post
I'll add that Tavares's GA/60 is 3.71 vs. 2.97 for the team when he's off the ice.

Hodgson's GA/60 is 4.39 vs. 1.84 for the team when he's off the ice.

In terms of getting points, Cody also has a big advantage playing with Vanek and Pominville. Tavares has Moulson and Boyes. Moulson's pretty good now, but was a 25 year old AHLer before joining the Isles and Tavares, so a fair bit of his success and development can probably be attributed to Tavares. Boyes was Buffalo's 11th leading scorer last season, and now has more points than Pominville due to playing with Tavares.

Vanek and Pominville were already very good players.
I'm not familiar with the stat: GA/60. Does it mean the team's Goals against averaged over a full 60 minute game when a certain player is on the ice? If it does, and Hodgson's is 4.39 that is very revealing. What would other number one centers have for such a GA/60? Towes, Crosby, Henrick etc.

Thank you for the excellent post and enlightening post.

Alflives* is offline  
Old
03-13-2013, 11:06 AM
  #621
Alflives*
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,745
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babs View Post
Stamkos!!? Oh well no worries you are not the first one here to completely make **** up.

I think if we are just looking at stats a more noteworthy comparison is Nazim Kadri is clearly a better player. I wonder how many of these Hodgson homies hated the idea of trading for him?
Do you think it's the 'edge' Kadri plays with, that makes him better?

Alflives* is offline  
Old
03-13-2013, 02:24 PM
  #622
LolClarkson*
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Embrace the hate
Posts: 8,906
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeywoot View Post
Not sure if serious?
Yes, serious.

Did you see the other boat anchors the op suggested were comparable ?

LolClarkson* is offline  
Old
03-13-2013, 03:43 PM
  #623
Royal Canuck
M-V-P
 
Royal Canuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Burnaby/Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,927
vCash: 814
I agree that we change this to The Man Who Cannot Be Named Trade Discussion.

Just the name Cody Hodgson brings tears to my eyes.

Miss the guy, even if he was a jerk.

__________________

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
PSN - TBennz
"You have to hate losing, more than you love winning. "
Royal Canuck is offline  
Old
03-13-2013, 04:58 PM
  #624
Dado
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Canuck View Post
Miss the guy, even if he was a jerk.
Alternate explanation - he's a driven guy who did not mesh well with a country club "crack under pressure" locker room leadership group.

Not saying that's the case...but such a narrative also fits the few facts we actually know...especially after that whole "pinned a C to his jersey" story came out...

 
Old
03-13-2013, 05:05 PM
  #625
Tiranis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 23,080
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
Alternate explanation - he's a driven guy who did not mesh well with a country club "crack under pressure" locker room leadership group.

Not saying that's the case...but such a narrative also fits the few facts we actually know...especially after that whole "pinned a C to his jersey" story came out...
How does it fit the narrative? This is a guy that had to be consoled and convinced to give it another try rather than asking for a trade after he was benched in the playoffs in his rookie year.

Tiranis is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:02 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.