HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hodgson Trade Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
03-12-2013, 06:04 PM
Dado

vCash:
Speaking of players we don't want...Good lord...Kadri's +/-On60 is top shelf, practically the same as Henrik's.

Old
03-12-2013, 06:27 PM
opendoor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
That stat belongs to Blake Wheeler, who is another guy people have wanted on this team. Hodgson is also tied with a guy named John Tavares, while being on the ice for more goals for than Tavares this year. But I suppose we wouldn't want him either because he's not good defensively?
Tavares plays in front of terrible goaltending (.890 5-on-5 team sv% which is the 3rd worst in the league). That's why his GA/60 isn't appreciably worse than his teammates' because they all suffer through the same poor goaltending.

Buffalo on the other hand has a decent .917 5-on-5 sv% overall and that balloons to .940 when Hodgson's on the bench. So there's a much more drastic difference between Hodgson and his teammates and that shows up in the GA/60 numbers when you compare Hodgson to the other forwards who aren't on his line.

Basically Tavares' line gets by far the most minutes on his team which has awful goaltending so his GA numbers are high. Hodgson gets slightly more 5-on-5 minutes than the 2nd and 3rd line centers on a team that generally has good goaltending yet his GA are high. Big difference once you account for the context.

Old
03-12-2013, 07:01 PM
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
It was when Freidman was on TEAM 1040 a few weeks ago talking about the O'Reilly situation and how his dad was meddling. He mentioned that Hodgson's dad called him up after the trade last year because he didn't like how Friedman was characterizing Hodgson's camp on HNIC.

Pretty funny that Cody's dad's idea of rebutting the idea that he's meddling in his son's affairs is to call up and hassle probably the most respectable hockey journalist over something he said about his son.
Don't know why he'd be so worked up over something his son's agent (who was for all intents and purposes working for the family as a whole) already publicly said on Twitter.

By his own admission Winter was told by the Hodgsons to pester the GM until a trade was finally made. Probably a reason why CH went through so many agents before. If your agent isn't going to keep quiet about it, I don't see why Friedman needs to either. Just hilarious.

Old
03-12-2013, 07:04 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Had a brain cramp there, should have check the trusty BTN. But before I can respond, I see that opendoor has already gotten to it.

Old
03-12-2013, 07:09 PM
mossey3535

I vote we close this thread; set the hfboards filter to reject CoHo, cody and Hodgson and replace them with 'he-who-shall-not-be-named'; and get back to whining about Kassian not being in front of the net on the PP or with a decent center at ES.

Old
03-12-2013, 07:30 PM
LolClarkson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgy View Post
You have to remember that the Canucks may have thought they were pulling a fast one on a team acquiring Hodgson as they thought they "built him up". Of course, after the start to this season, it appears it was Buffalo pulling a fast one on Vancouver,

Gragnani sucked then. Fans in Buffalo called him Crapnani. It is likely he didn't have much value to Buffalo as they didn't think they would play him enough (because he sucks) for him to not become a UFA. The Canucks basically played him last year just so they could retain his rights, which ironically, they didn't use.

72 points. Which, according to Buffalo's broadcast team, makes him the 2nd highest scoring sophomore this season.
The sad part is, this isn't the first fast one Buffalo has pulled on us. Makes me think that the Lindy Ruff idea is not a good one. I support AV anyway..

Old
03-12-2013, 07:37 PM
LolClarkson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeywoot View Post
That wasn't the question posed.

Clearly a minimum level of reading ability is not required for these forums. Thanks for sharing

If you think Cody Hodgson= Claude Giroux or Logan Couture

Cody is that you?

Who said NHL players don't read these forums?
Logan Coture and Claude Giroux are appropriate comparisons.

Old
03-12-2013, 08:06 PM
dave babych returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Cody is equivalent to Sidney now?
All I am saying is, Cody Hodgson and Chris Kunitz are among the leagues most prolific scorers this year and as such must be among the league's best players.

Put them together on a line and you've got lightning in a bottle, I bet!

Old
03-12-2013, 08:59 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldrunner View Post

Because Couture and Giroux are also strictly 1way players? No. I don't think so.

Old
03-13-2013, 01:39 AM
Johnny Canucker

Cody Hodgson is 1 point behind stamkos and sedin

Old
03-13-2013, 02:30 AM
The Horvatian One
228 LBS of Pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Canucker View Post
So your point is you're a stat watcher? Gotcha.

Old
03-13-2013, 02:44 AM
opendoor

Quote:
He's 16 points behind Stamkos.

Old
03-13-2013, 02:56 AM
John Bender*

Quote:
Thats only because the Sabres are sheltering him in hopes of trading him at the deadline for a player that can't help them right now.

Old
03-13-2013, 03:17 AM
opendoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanGrossman View Post
Thats only because the Sabres are sheltering him in hopes of trading him at the deadline for a player that can't help them right now.
Actually they're using him so they can tank and draft a real #1 center.

Old
03-13-2013, 04:11 AM
Zarpan

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
Tavares plays in front of terrible goaltending (.890 5-on-5 team sv% which is the 3rd worst in the league). That's why his GA/60 isn't appreciably worse than his teammates' because they all suffer through the same poor goaltending.

Buffalo on the other hand has a decent .917 5-on-5 sv% overall and that balloons to .940 when Hodgson's on the bench. So there's a much more drastic difference between Hodgson and his teammates and that shows up in the GA/60 numbers when you compare Hodgson to the other forwards who aren't on his line.

Basically Tavares' line gets by far the most minutes on his team which has awful goaltending so his GA numbers are high. Hodgson gets slightly more 5-on-5 minutes than the 2nd and 3rd line centers on a team that generally has good goaltending yet his GA are high. Big difference once you account for the context.
I'll add that Tavares's GA/60 is 3.71 vs. 2.97 for the team when he's off the ice.

Hodgson's GA/60 is 4.39 vs. 1.84 for the team when he's off the ice.

In terms of getting points, Cody also has a big advantage playing with Vanek and Pominville. Tavares has Moulson and Boyes. Moulson's pretty good now, but was a 25 year old AHLer before joining the Isles and Tavares, so a fair bit of his success and development can probably be attributed to Tavares. Boyes was Buffalo's 11th leading scorer last season, and now has more points than Pominville due to playing with Tavares.

Vanek and Pominville were already very good players.

Old
03-13-2013, 05:00 AM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossey3535 View Post
I vote we close this thread; set the hfboards filter to reject CoHo, cody and Hodgson and replace them with 'he-who-shall-not-be-named'; and get back to whining about Kassian not being in front of the net on the PP or with a decent center at ES.
I hear ya, I vote we close it too.

Quote:
LOL.

No, not even close.

Couture and Giroux are fast and can play defense, and they are better defensively, and they have more character. And they are better and more proven offensively.

Old
03-13-2013, 05:48 AM
Derp Kassian

Cody Hodgson = Derek Roy

Old
03-13-2013, 09:34 AM
hockeywoot

Quote:
Not sure if serious?

Old
03-13-2013, 10:36 AM
Babs

Quote:
Stamkos!!? Oh well no worries you are not the first one here to completely make **** up.

I think if we are just looking at stats a more noteworthy comparison is Nazim Kadri is clearly a better player. I wonder how many of these Hodgson homies hated the idea of trading for him?

Old
03-13-2013, 11:00 AM
Alflives*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarpan View Post
I'll add that Tavares's GA/60 is 3.71 vs. 2.97 for the team when he's off the ice.

Hodgson's GA/60 is 4.39 vs. 1.84 for the team when he's off the ice.

In terms of getting points, Cody also has a big advantage playing with Vanek and Pominville. Tavares has Moulson and Boyes. Moulson's pretty good now, but was a 25 year old AHLer before joining the Isles and Tavares, so a fair bit of his success and development can probably be attributed to Tavares. Boyes was Buffalo's 11th leading scorer last season, and now has more points than Pominville due to playing with Tavares.

Vanek and Pominville were already very good players.
I'm not familiar with the stat: GA/60. Does it mean the team's Goals against averaged over a full 60 minute game when a certain player is on the ice? If it does, and Hodgson's is 4.39 that is very revealing. What would other number one centers have for such a GA/60? Towes, Crosby, Henrick etc.

Thank you for the excellent post and enlightening post.

Old
03-13-2013, 11:06 AM
Alflives*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babs View Post
Stamkos!!? Oh well no worries you are not the first one here to completely make **** up.

I think if we are just looking at stats a more noteworthy comparison is Nazim Kadri is clearly a better player. I wonder how many of these Hodgson homies hated the idea of trading for him?
Do you think it's the 'edge' Kadri plays with, that makes him better?

Old
03-13-2013, 02:24 PM
LolClarkson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeywoot View Post
Not sure if serious?
Yes, serious.

Did you see the other boat anchors the op suggested were comparable ?

Old
03-13-2013, 03:43 PM
Royal Canuck
M-V-P

vCash: 814
I agree that we change this to The Man Who Cannot Be Named Trade Discussion.

Just the name Cody Hodgson brings tears to my eyes.

Miss the guy, even if he was a jerk.

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
PSN - TBennz
"You have to hate losing, more than you love winning. "
Old
03-13-2013, 04:58 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Canuck View Post
Miss the guy, even if he was a jerk.
Alternate explanation - he's a driven guy who did not mesh well with a country club "crack under pressure" locker room leadership group.

Not saying that's the case...but such a narrative also fits the few facts we actually know...especially after that whole "pinned a C to his jersey" story came out...

Old
03-13-2013, 05:05 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
Alternate explanation - he's a driven guy who did not mesh well with a country club "crack under pressure" locker room leadership group.

Not saying that's the case...but such a narrative also fits the few facts we actually know...especially after that whole "pinned a C to his jersey" story came out...
How does it fit the narrative? This is a guy that had to be consoled and convinced to give it another try rather than asking for a trade after he was benched in the playoffs in his rookie year.

Closed Thread