HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Hodgson Trade Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
03-23-2013, 06:43 PM
LolClarkson*
Canucks 4 the cup

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
The problem is that he hasn't been a good defensive player at any level since and hasn't shown any willingness to improve in that area.

It's not even that Hodgson can't improve defensively, it's that it's impossible to know whether his offensive output will hold up when he's not cheating to get out of the zone early or being more responsible in the offensive zone.

It's pretty clear that Hodgson, right now, is chasing that big contract that comes with production like this. If he gets paid $5m+ based on this season, I'm convinced he won't live up to it.

What makes guys like Sedins special is that they can both produce high numbers AND give up very few goals against because they're responsible players all over the ice.
Speaking of Hodgson, I could see Calgary writing him an O'rilly sized offer sheet.

Old
03-23-2013, 09:40 PM
Lemurion

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolChamp View Post
so Hodgson is the reason the Sabres are bad defensively? how many sophomore players coud have that much of an impact while being a near PPG...? Hodgson will continue to improve at all aspects after a few season one would think, considering he was a solid two-way player in junior.
No, Hodgson is not the reason the Sabres are bad defensively. However, if he's putting up almost a point per game but is still only a +1, he's not really much of a difference maker. He's certainly offensively talented, but if you look at his personal stats in comparison to his team's position, they aren't getting that much benefit from his presence.

Old
03-24-2013, 03:16 PM
ahmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
No, Hodgson is not the reason the Sabres are bad defensively. However, if he's putting up almost a point per game but is still only a +1, he's not really much of a difference maker. He's certainly offensively talented, but if you look at his personal stats in comparison to his team's position, they aren't getting that much benefit from his presence.

using that logic guys like stamkos, st.louis, ribeiro, tavares, voracek, duchene, all ppg guys this season, but are minus (-) players, must also not benefit their teams.

There's no doubt hodgson needs to be better defensively, but at his age, there's at least hope he would be defensively adequate by the time he is in his prime.

Offensively he is already a bonafide top 6 forward.

Last edited by ahmon: 03-24-2013 at 03:26 PM.
Old
03-24-2013, 04:16 PM
Spice Trader

We lost this trade.

Hodgson has been a star at every level of hockey. The back injury cost him two years of development. You can teach defence.. you can get stronger.. you can become better at faceoffs, zone coverage ect..

You cant teach vision hands and instincts all qualities CH has.

Here is the problem from a van perspective. CH is a potentail #1 Center (most desired asset in the NHL) i feel its safe to say he is an acceptable #2 center currently.

So we traded a NHL blue chip prospect in the most desired position that can play and produce today. For a project power forward that could become a 30/30 lucic type in 3-4 years.

The stupidity of this trade is we need to win NOW not in 3-4 years. Package Schnieder and CH and a pick ..you can pretty much as for anything back. Think Rick Nash Correy Perry shea webber type impact player for right now while we are contenders. Make a run for 2-4 years then rebuild.

After the run you trade kesler Luongo the D core ect.. for a jump start rebuild and we are restocked in a couple years.

Codys desire to play and problems he caused made GMMG make a bad trade. If he shopped him more im sure the return is better.

I hope Kassian pans out. This trade will come back to haunt us im pretty sure.

Old
03-24-2013, 05:08 PM
vector209

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spice Trader View Post
We lost this trade.

Hodgson has been a star at every level of hockey. The back injury cost him two years of development. You can teach defence.. you can get stronger.. you can become better at faceoffs, zone coverage ect..

You cant teach vision hands and instincts all qualities CH has.

Here is the problem from a van perspective. CH is a potentail #1 Center (most desired asset in the NHL) i feel its safe to say he is an acceptable #2 center currently.

So we traded a NHL blue chip prospect in the most desired position that can play and produce today. For a project power forward that could become a 30/30 lucic type in 3-4 years.

The stupidity of this trade is we need to win NOW not in 3-4 years. Package Schnieder and CH and a pick ..you can pretty much as for anything back. Think Rick Nash Correy Perry shea webber type impact player for right now while we are contenders. Make a run for 2-4 years then rebuild.

After the run you trade kesler Luongo the D core ect.. for a jump start rebuild and we are restocked in a couple years.

Codys desire to play and problems he caused made GMMG make a bad trade. If he shopped him more im sure the return is better.

I hope Kassian pans out. This trade will come back to haunt us im pretty sure.
Too soon to say for sure but at the moment, there's no question that Hodgson > Kassian. I didn't like the trade before, and I don't like it now, but I'm patient when it comes to a young power forward who does seem to show flashes of brilliance.

Bertuzzi took a long time to become a great player too, but when he did, he was nearly unstoppable.

Old
03-24-2013, 05:10 PM
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater

I would like to request that when we create the second thread, we post the link of this thread in it. I would love to see who *****ed about Kassian when Kassian hits his prime.

Old
03-26-2013, 03:00 PM
Royal Canuck
#Shinkaruk4Calder

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortshorts View Post
I would like to request that when we create the second thread, we post the link of this thread in it. I would love to see who *****ed about Kassian when Kassian hits his prime.

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
Xbox Live Gamertag: "CxC Canuck"
"Everybody says be a good loser; I think if you're a good loser, you're a loser. " - John Tortorella
Old
03-31-2013, 12:34 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Great trade. Hodgson is a 1st line C with Buffalo with even strength production that's similar to the Sedins this year, while Kassian is now in the minors. Wow

03-31-2013, 12:37 PM
CanucksSayEh

Someone, somewhere down the line, pissed off the hockey gods. We are cursed.

Old
03-31-2013, 12:39 PM
Moore Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Great trade. Hodgson is a 1st line C with Buffalo with even strength production that's similar to the Sedins this year, while Kassian is now in the minors. Wow
well it's not like we need offense now. Kassian will provide what we need in a couple years when we are ready to contend. oh wait..

Old
03-31-2013, 12:41 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolChamp View Post
well it's not like we need offense now. Kassian will provide what we need in a couple years when we are ready to contend. oh wait..
Good thing we have so much C depth too

Old
03-31-2013, 12:42 PM
anothercanucklehead

My fingers are crossed that moving Kassian down means that there is a power forward coming our way. Here's hoping that the Hockey Gods will give us a wonderful present for Easter!!

Old
03-31-2013, 12:50 PM
opendoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Aren't you the one that wouldn't trade for Kadri and his 4th in the league 31 ES points?

Never mind that Kadri is driving his line (i.e. not leeching off of Vanek) and has only been on for 15 GA all season.

Old
03-31-2013, 01:35 PM
serge2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothercanucklehead View Post
My fingers are crossed that moving Kassian down means that there is a power forward coming our way. Here's hoping that the Hockey Gods will give us a wonderful present for Easter!!
In exchange for Jensen and Tanev we will get Clowe.

Clowe will then score zero goals the rest of the way.

Gillis will then start talking about how whiny Jensen and Tanev were .

Old
03-31-2013, 02:10 PM
John Swartzwelder
MOAR TUFFNESS!!!1

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
Aren't you the one that wouldn't trade for Kadri and his 4th in the league 31 ES points?

Never mind that Kadri is driving his line (i.e. not leeching off of Vanek) and has only been on for 15 GA all season.
What does that have to do with the Hodgson/Kassian trade?

Old
03-31-2013, 02:36 PM
Wizeman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Canuck View Post
Put me down for this as well.

I state right here and now that by time Kassian is 25 , he will make the Hodgson trade look like a completely lopsided win for the Canucks. Its not even going to be close.

Kassian has far more all around skill than Hodgson, is low maintenance , and will not demand the dollars Hodgson's Dad is going to demand.

He has more room to improve his game with his size and speed and Hodgson has maxed out on both. Kassian is taking longer to develop. That is it.

Feel free to bring this up again any time you wish.

Old
03-31-2013, 03:48 PM
biturbo19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizeman View Post

I state right here and now that by time Kassian is 25 , he will make the Hodgson trade look like a completely lopsided win for the Canucks. Its not even going to be close.

Kassian has far more all around skill than Hodgson, is low maintenance , and will not demand the dollars Hodgson's Dad is going to demand.

He has more room to improve his game with his size and speed and Hodgson has maxed out on both. Kassian is taking longer to develop. That is it.

When Kassian is 25, the Sedins will be 35. Food for thought.

Old
03-31-2013, 04:46 PM
The Washer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizeman View Post

Its the whole God thing all over again. Has anyone ever seen this with their own eyes??

Ive been there from the beginning of his career, being a life long Sabres fan, and even I cannot say this with your absolute certainty.

Its all champagne dreams and caviar wishes (whatever the fk that Leach dude used to say) in that statement my man, because aint no one seen all that yet.

Old
03-31-2013, 05:12 PM
canucksfan

vCash: 990
Quote:
Originally Posted by vector209 View Post
Too soon to say for sure but at the moment, there's no question that Hodgson > Kassian. I didn't like the trade before, and I don't like it now, but I'm patient when it comes to a young power forward who does seem to show flashes of brilliance.

Bertuzzi took a long time to become a great player too, but when he did, he was nearly unstoppable.
One thing to take into consideration is Bertuzzi was a highly skilled forward that produced a lot in junior. Kassian isn't near as skilled as Bertuzzi was and he didn't produce at a top level in junior. His upside IMO is a good 2nd line winger.

Old
03-31-2013, 06:19 PM
CanucksSayEh

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksfan View Post
One thing to take into consideration is Bertuzzi was a highly skilled forward that produced a lot in junior. Kassian isn't near as skilled as Bertuzzi was and he didn't produce at a top level in junior. His upside IMO is a good 2nd line winger.
Even if he does reach Bertuzzi level, we have 4 players that scored more in our cup run alone, than Bert did in the playoffs during his 8 year career here.

Old
03-31-2013, 06:41 PM
ayoshi

Who cares how good Kassian ""might"" become! The bottom line is Gillis traded away a blue-chip prospect (and now top-6 forward) for a guy who is in the minors now and was a HEALTHY SCRATCH in the playoffs last year...

How does this help the Canucks who are in win-now mode (while the Sedins are in their prime)?? The bottom line is it DOESN'T. Gillis made this team worse at the precise moment it needed to either get better or at very least stay the same.

And don't give me this "cody wanted out" BS. The only person I have heard say that is Gillis, while he was trying to justify a baffling trade and on the heels of a 1st round exit. The Canucks had all the leverage.

Gillis fail.

Old
03-31-2013, 06:49 PM
struckmatch

Henrik and Daniel good defensively?

Yeah, going -4 EACH in Game 7 against the Bruins with the cup in the building was a real showing of solid defensive play when it counts.

-4? REALLY guys? Henrik and Daniel are not as good defensively as their reputation says they are.

They've gotten worse defensively since then and spend way too shifts pinned in their own zone, which is something this city isn't used to seeing.

Old
03-31-2013, 06:54 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
Rich Winter.

Deleted tweets.

Look it up guys.

Old
04-01-2013, 12:35 AM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoshi View Post
Who cares how good Kassian ""might"" become! The bottom line is Gillis traded away a blue-chip prospect (and now top-6 forward) for a guy who is in the minors now and was a HEALTHY SCRATCH in the playoffs last year...

How does this help the Canucks who are in win-now mode (while the Sedins are in their prime)?? The bottom line is it DOESN'T. Gillis made this team worse at the precise moment it needed to either get better or at very least stay the same.

And don't give me this "cody wanted out" BS. The only person I have heard say that is Gillis, while he was trying to justify a baffling trade and on the heels of a 1st round exit. The Canucks had all the leverage.

Gillis fail.
Cody Hodgson was aHEALTHY SCRATCH in the playoffs at the same age....

Oh the humanity.

Old
04-01-2013, 12:41 AM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

vCash: 883
Hodgson was demoted to the 4th line. And of course, he's acting all whiny "Character guy here"
@BillHoppeNHL
Quote:
#Sabres Ron Rolston on Cody Hodgson move to 4th line: "I wanted to put Jochen with Pommer and Steve Ott just for more stability." #Buffalo
Quote:
More Ron Rolston on Cody Hodgson: "He’s got to be better on the defensive side of things right now. Period." #Sabres
Here's the article:
http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/bru...straight-loss/
Quote:
Hodgson’s even rating and scoring prowess has hidden some defensive deficiencies all season. The youngster has performed poorly around his own net. Twenty-four even-strength points also mask his defensive woes.
and of course here's Cody's "mature" answer:

Quote:
Hodgson wouldn’t explain his demotion.“You have to ask coach,” he replied.Did Rolston give him any indication?“I’m just trying to play, guys,” Hodgson said. “I don’t worry about where I play or how much I play.”
Quote:
Sabre Brain ‏@SabreAnalyst 2h
Like or hate Rolston notwithstanding... Cody sounded like a little kid in that interview. Did not take accountability.

Closed Thread