HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hodgson Trade Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
04-01-2013, 12:45 AM
Tiranis

vCash: 500
4th line on the Sabres...

Old
04-01-2013, 12:45 AM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Ya Hodgson is really leading his team... to a top 5 pick! XD

Old
04-01-2013, 12:58 AM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
4th line on the Sabres...
And it's simply going to go into a downward spiral from there I believe. He took absolutely no accountability. Something that you'd love a player to have.

I've heard almost any player atleast say "I need to be better".

Old
04-01-2013, 12:59 AM
biturbo19

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
Hodgson was demoted to the 4th line. And of course, he's acting all whiny "Character guy here"
@BillHoppeNHL

Here's the article:
http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/bru...straight-loss/

and of course here's Cody's "mature" answer:
Saw that in the game today. It's nice 'anti-Hodgson' fodder for those around here who are still in whatever bitter denial about the trade.

Rolston is in full-on 'interim flail mode'. He's not going to be the coach long-term and the players know it. It's like the situation in Montreal last year. Players are just punching the time cards at this point and it shows.

When a coach throws their top point producing Center on the 4th line with John Scott (who shouldn't even be in the NHL) and Kaleta to 'make a point' about his defensive game...he's just flailing. I feel bad for coaches thrown into that sort of situation...but that's the way it goes.

Really not going to put much stock in that.

And to put things in perspective...our end of the trade in Kassian got shifted not to the 4th line where he'd been played his way down to for defensive mistakes and lack of intensity after a matter of a couple weeks...

but straight out of the NHL.

Old
04-01-2013, 01:00 AM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by biturbo19 View Post
Saw that in the game today. It's nice 'anti-Hodgson' fodder for those around here who are still in whatever bitter denial about the trade.

Rolston is in full-on 'interim flail mode'. He's not going to be the coach long-term and the players know it. It's like the situation in Montreal last year. Players are just punching the time cards at this point and it shows.

When a coach throws their top point producing Center on the 4th line with John Scott (who shouldn't even be in the NHL) and Kaleta to 'make a point' about his defensive game...he's just flailing. I feel bad for coaches thrown into that sort of situation...but that's the way it goes.

I find the timing hilarious considering just hours prior, there was so much anti Kassian going on.

Bless the hockey gods.

Either way, he still has tons of growing up to do.

Old
04-01-2013, 01:04 AM
biturbo19

Quote:
I find the timing hilarious considering just hours prior, there was so much anti Kassian going on.

Bless the hockey gods.

Either way, he still has tons of growing up to do.
This is true. Even today, Hodgson had another of his 'almost there' moments defensively, ending in a goal...

Had Krejci 'contained' along the wall, but he managed to sneak a pass right through him to the front of the net. So close, yet so far. Of course, didn't help that Sekera was just standing around like a tourist in front of his own net instead of actually taking his man out of the play.

Lots of room to grow defensively for Hodgson though. But the whole 4th line thing is just a joke from a coach who couldn't buy the respect of his players if he were Donald Trump.

Old
04-01-2013, 01:12 AM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
Originally Posted by biturbo19 View Post

And to put things in perspective...our end of the trade in Kassian got shifted not to the 4th line where he'd been played his way down to for defensive mistakes and lack of intensity after a matter of a couple weeks...

but straight out of the NHL.

I absolutely love this.

When AV does this he got crucified and called an idiot. (not that I am an AV lover) but now we see yet another coach do it. I think we can see Cody isn't a god and has his inefficiencies. Oh wait, no he doesn't. The 2nd coach is just a moron aswell right?

I also love how some can't just put the accountability where it should lye.

They all blame MG and AV and all knock Kassian. When the only reason Cody Hodgson is not on this hockey team right now is Cody Hodgson chose not to be.

But lets close our eyes to that, lets just imagine that it couldn't have happened, Cody couldn't have requested a trade. He's the golden boy who can't do anything wrong, its all MG's fault.

And here we are again with this issue now, like usual its someone else's fault that he can't play defense so he gets benched.

Look Cody Hodgson is a good hockey player, and I don't personally blame him for requesting a trade, I understand why he did it and more power to him.

I try to avoid commenting when I can but this is becoming an absolute joke.

Last edited by Tiranis: 04-01-2013 at 02:23 AM. Reason: Removed a bunch of borderline insults and flaming
Old
04-01-2013, 01:19 AM
Fat Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Shirokov View Post
Thank you for being mature about this.

Old
04-01-2013, 01:20 AM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Tony View Post
Thank you for being mature about this.
Haha I know.

Immature on my part sure. It is just getting rediculous and I needed to vent.

Nothing personal anyone.

Old
04-01-2013, 01:58 AM
CanucksSayEh

He floats around even +/-, better or equal to every one of our centres after Hank. Meaningless stats anyway. Stamkos and Tavares are both way lower and score quite a bit more, clearly plugs. Bashing ex-players does not justify the trade, not even a little.

Old
04-01-2013, 02:06 AM
Henrik To Daniel

To those ripping on Hodgson's defensive play, this goal is better than anything Kassian has done in a Canucks uniform. Shorthanded mind you.

Old
04-01-2013, 02:15 AM
biturbo19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Shirokov View Post

I absolutely love this.

When AV does this he got crucified and called an idiot. (not that I am an AV lover) but now we see yet another coach do it. I think we can see Cody isn't a god and has his inefficiencies. Oh wait, no he doesn't. The 2nd coach is just a moron aswell right?

I also love how some can't just put the accountability where it should lye.

They all blame MG and AV and all knock Kassian. When the only reason Cody Hodgson is not on this hockey team right now is Cody Hodgson chose not to be.

But lets close our eyes to that, lets just imagine that it couldn't have happened, Cody couldn't have requested a trade. He's the golden boy who can't do anything wrong, its all MG's fault.

And here we are again with this issue now, like usual its someone else's fault that he can't play defense so he gets benched.

Look Cody Hodgson is a good hockey player, and I don't personally blame him for requesting a trade, I understand why he did it and more power to him.

Nobody is claiming that Hodgson doesn't have a long ways to go defensively.

But throwing him on the 4th line is just flailing around desperately at this point. Just cruise through the Sabres GBU thread. Nobody is in denial about Hodgson's defensive weakness...but putting him with those guys is silly. He's not going to miraculously grow a defensive game playing with John Scott. And it completely negates the positive aspect of what he can do in a game (where he was largely breaking even). It's a clear case of an interim coach and a team who knows he isn't sticking around. Like children with a substitute teacher.

And keep in mind, in the context of this trade...Hodgson is weak defensively, but Kassian regularly botches assignments, is in the wrong places, loses his man, etc. just the same. Neither player is very good defensively and have a lot of growing to do in that area.

The biggest difference is still...Hodgson has been producing very well offensively at least to the point where some defensive warts are temporarily palatable. Kassian...hasn't. He's just a 'big tough player rawr' who doesn't score, can't be trusted defensively, and doesn't keep his effort level up anywhere near where it needs to be on a regular basis.

So it may be hilarious to you, but the reality is...it isn't unreasonable to criticize this trade right now. And it's not unreasonable to put very little stock in the ridiculous coaching decisions of a floundering interim guy who is on a fast track straight out of their organization.

What i do put stock in...is Gillis, the GM who acquired the player AND the coach who guided this team to a pair of presidents trophies and game 7 of a stanley cup final...coming together to decide Kassian belongs in the minors right now.

Last edited by Tiranis: 04-01-2013 at 02:24 AM. Reason: Quoted post was edited
Old
04-01-2013, 02:19 AM
Moore Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrik To Daniel View Post
To those ripping on Hodgson's defensive play, this goal is better than anything Kassian has done in a Canucks uniform. Shorthanded mind you.

it's also better than anything anyone on the entire team has done this year.. People that bash Hodgson are living in denial.

Old
04-01-2013, 02:24 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolChamp View Post
it's also better than anything anyone on the entire team has done this year.. People that bash Hodgson are living in denial.
His coach too is living in denial?

Old
04-01-2013, 02:30 AM
serge2k

Quote:
No, but he's also probably not a long term coach.

Old
04-01-2013, 02:34 AM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:

Check the score btw. And How does that prove his defensive play is better?

Old
04-01-2013, 02:35 AM
Moore Money

Quote:
sure why not. not sure what that has to do with anything but sure why not..

Old
04-01-2013, 02:36 AM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
Actually, people thinking that 1 play makes a season should look no further than where the Sabres are with Hodgson as their #1 C vs the Canucks this season. He'll have plenty of time in the summer to watch all his goals on youtube and find reasons as to why his team was so subpar when he was so elite.

Old
04-01-2013, 02:36 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge2k View Post
No, but he's also probably not a long term coach.
The only thing that means is that they can sometimes give certain players the reality check they need. Given Hodgson's ego (now being further demonstrated via his comments about his demotion), it's pretty clear that others have avoided doing so for fear of upsetting him.

Old
04-01-2013, 02:37 AM
Henrik To Daniel

Quote:
Check the score btw. And How does that prove his defensive play is better?
A 4-2 with less than a minute to go. It shows he's clutch.

And it proves that he's good enough to at least kill penalties.

Old
04-01-2013, 02:39 AM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
The only thing that means is that they can sometimes give certain players the reality check they need. Given Hodgson's ego (now being further demonstrated via his comments about his demotion), it's pretty clear that others have avoided doing so.
Prime example here is Stamkos and how he was treated by Melrose. Kept his mouth shut and proved him and any doubters wrong.

Cody simply doesnt want to take the necessary steps as he believes he's already proven himself.

Apparently if you're a #1 overall pick, you need to prove yourself but a 10th overall pick doesnt.

Old
Moore Money

Quote:
Actually, people thinking that 1 play makes a season should look no further than where the Sabres are with Hodgson as their #1 C vs the Canucks this season. He'll have plenty of time in the summer to watch all his goals on youtube and find reasons as to why his team was so subpar when he was so elite.
they would be in the same position with Henrik Sedin as their #1 center. Saying a team is bad defensively because of one player (not even a defenseman) is ridiculous to say the least.

Old
Tiranis

Quote:
Seriously? The Canes pretty much stopped playing as anyone who actually watched that game would know. It's as meaningless as that game Burmistrov dangled the whole Caps team. Now has 8 points in 30+ games.

Old
04-01-2013, 02:40 AM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:

And it proves that he's good enough to at least kill penalties.
It shows that the game is over. "Clutch" .

and they're 28th in the league on the PK. Yup, he sure can kill penalties

Old
04-01-2013, 02:42 AM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
they would be in the same position with Henrik Sedin as their #1 center. Saying a team is bad defensively because of one player (not even a defenseman) is ridiculous to say the least.
I'm saying not saying they're bad defensively because of 1 player. I'm saying that their team sucks because they rely as Hodgson as their #1 C who also happens to be a detriment to the team in his defensive zone.

I simply pointed out a coach calling him out to what many on here have been stating all season.

And now, the expected lashing out is occurring from the Hodgson lovers. Not surprising in the least.

Closed Thread