HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Hockey without fighting.

Old
03-07-2013, 11:18 AM
tinfoilcup

vCash: 50
More fighting please. A couple a game isn't enough. I want to see at least 6 or 7 fights a game preferably with a bench clearing brawl, the elimination of suspensions and fines for any fighting and at least one coach vs. coach or a player vs. fan incident every 10 games or so.

Fighting existed in the game before all those people who complain about it every five seconds started watching hockey so it's them that have to alter their behavior. I can show you how to do it too. It's really easy you just change the channel and leave the rest of us alone.

"Oh no think of the children!" All the people who even think like that can go take a hike along with the rest of the social engineers. The hockey played now is already barely recognizable from the game from 20 years ago. There is a 2 minutes for hitting penalty in practically every game now and you want to even further soften up the game? I'm super tired of a few sissies trying to ruin the game for the rest of us. Grow a pair.

I think Don Cherry said it best a few years ago when he said hey let's forget playing hockey and just serve tea and crumpets at centre ice so we can satisfy all the bleeding hearts.

tinfoilcup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 11:20 AM
misha1976

vCash: 500
I think hockey fights partly make the NHL what it is. It changes the dynamic of play, it's integral to the history of the game and it's entertaining to watch. When people say, look at the Olympics or look at women's hockey, they're hockey games that have no fighting and they're great to demonstrations of skill, sure... but I'd argue that they're not just different ways to play the game, they're fundamentally different games. I enjoy watching both, but I also really enjoy NHL and North American minor league hockey

The problem is more about reckless and sometimes criminal hits than it is about a good gloves off fight.

misha1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinfoilcup View Post
More fighting please. A couple a game isn't enough. I want to see at least 6 or 7 fights a game preferably with a bench clearing brawl, the elimination of suspensions and fines for any fighting and at least one coach vs. coach or a player vs. fan incident every 10 games or so.

Fighting existed in the game before all those people who complain about it every five seconds started watching hockey so it's them that have to alter their behavior. I can show you how to do it too. It's really easy you just change the channel and leave the rest of us alone.

"Oh no think of the children!" All the people who even think like that can go take a hike along with the rest of the social engineers. The hockey played now is already barely recognizable from the game from 20 years ago. There is a 2 minutes for hitting penalty in practically every game now and you want to even further soften up the game? I'm super tired of a few sissies trying to ruin the game for the rest of us. Grow a pair.

I think Don Cherry said it best a few years ago when he said hey let's forget playing hockey and just serve tea and crumpets at centre ice so we can satisfy all the bleeding hearts.
Sure...let's let Don Cherry speak for the 'good of the game'

Hell, why not just make him commish lol

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 11:21 AM
Plante

Nice, lets make major changes in the game for the minority!!!

And no even the playing minority, but the viewing minority!!!

Im starting to feel like our world needs to be bubble wrapped for certain people.

Plante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 11:22 AM
Tom Polakis
W-L-W-L-W-L...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
So of course, they don't want fighting removed...they're not fighting.
Man, I'm even sort of on your side, but a poll of fighters would definitely not want fighting removed. Imagine how long the Konopkas and Bissonnettes of the NHL would last in the league if their only skill was eliminated.

Tom Polakis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhalerTurnedBruin55 View Post
You completely disagree and ignore everything else that was said in the post.It wouldn't be solely up to them. But as NHL players involved they are the ones participating in the game. The game that involves having fights occasionally.

Again, one day it may be out of the game. Maybe you (or someone with your mindset) will join the NHL on the adminstrative level and implement this change.

But right now it's part of the NHL that you are chosing to watch, love it or hate it.

As I stated, there are other versions of hockey that it isn't part of the game, leagues where fighting isn't tolerated at all (and yes, by the NHL tolerating fighting, it's part of the game, an infraction, but part of it).
Nothing else in your post was relevant though...so not sure what else you wanted me to address in that post???

I don't happen to think that something (fighting) that happens so infrequently in hockey, would be sorely missed

But some do...I respect that.

Time will tell...

Old
03-07-2013, 11:25 AM
Plante

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisen View Post
I doubt it's for the better in staged fights though.
This is the thing.

Fans spout this nonstop, but i've never heard someone playing say it.

Do you really think the guys on the bench think about that, think they just go, "Oh guys, that was staged, geez how dumb!!"

Plante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Maverick41

As far as the players opinion is concerned, I am wondering how many of them actually understand the risks involved. And I don't mean the immediate risks, the all know about those, but the long term risks.
And with that I am not trying to make a point either for or against fighting, but I actually wonder, if the league or anybody at all, at some point educates players about the risks not only of fighting but of the physical aspects of the game in general.
If they are worried about lawsuits, which they should, I think one of the first things they should do ist try to explain the risks to the players. And I have no idea if this is done in any way.

Maverick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Polakis View Post
Man, I'm even sort of on your side, but a poll of fighters would definitely not want fighting removed. Imagine how long the Konopkas and Bissonnettes of the NHL would last in the league if their only skill was eliminated.
The point I'm making is that a poll asking NHL players if they want fighting removed, doesnt necessarily prove anything.

Old
Langdon Alger*

Personally, I want fighting to stay in the game. However, I'm not going to pretend that it's because of some major effect the fights have on the game or anything like that; I've never played myself, so I can't say I know whether they change the momentum of a game. I want fighting to stay because it entertains me. The NHL is a source of entertainment above all, and for me, seeing a fight or two adds to the experience.

One thing of which I am aware, though, is of the damage being done to the players who fight. I am fully aware that each player who fights sustains sub-concussive impacts that can result in severe neurological problems down the line. However, I have made the decision that my entertainment is more important to me than their health, and you know what? If you support hitting in hockey, you've made the same decision as I have, as hits result in the same sort of damage and the same sort of health issues. There is no moral high ground here, folks.

Last edited by Langdon Alger*: 03-07-2013 at 11:35 AM.
Langdon Alger* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 11:26 AM
TheLegendkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by compile View Post
So Snider owns TSN, CBC, NBC, The NHL Network?
Comcast owns all NBC affiliations. Which means no NHL in the states. Less 50% of people even have the NHL network since its a luxury channel you have to pay extra for.

TheLegendkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 11:26 AM
tinfoilcup

vCash: 50
Quote:

I want to clarify that I think Don Cherry is a complete tool but I agree with him on this one thing

tinfoilcup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinfoilcup View Post
I want to clarify that I think Don Cherry is a complete tool but I agree with him on this one thing
Meh...to each his own. I think Don Cherry is a reflection of how hockey culture (or a part of hockey culture) is so a**-backwards. But that's just a personal opinion.

Don't get me wrong...I love the tradition of hockey and everything it represents, including fighting, but that doesn't mean that some of the aspects of hockey shouldn't be looked at more carefully.

Old
03-07-2013, 11:35 AM
misha1976

Quote:
Meh...to each his own. I think Don Cherry is a reflection of how hockey culture (or a part of hockey culture) is so a**-backwards. But that's just a personal opinion.

Don't get me wrong...I love the tradition of hockey and everything it represents, including fighting, but that doesn't mean that some of the aspects of hockey shouldn't be looked at more carefully.
Agreed on this. Don Cherry is a cartoon character that plays up all that is backwards in Canadian and hockey culture. In spite of his act, I think fights are important in hockey.

misha1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 11:40 AM
JLP
чудесный Монреаль

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cursed Lemon;61154835[B
]Do you actually predict someone DYING from a hockey fight?

Take a moment and consider how ridiculous that is.[/B]

No, someone will die from a vicious hit from behind long before someone perishes in a fight.
Not ridiculous at all. Hockey fighting death will possibly come from a KO punch and head striking the ice, massive brain trauma, player never regains consciousness. I don't want this to happen but sadly it will eventually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandysan View Post
just wondering, when will we come to the same realization regarding ufc and boxing ?

The day might come when the players decide to stop fighting, but I'm not concerned that me, my kids or my grandkids will be around to see it.
The surface of the ring or the octagon is not as hard as ice. Boxers wear gloves, UFA open-finger but still this includes padding. Hockey players are bare-knuckle boxing, on a sheet of ice. That's what's ridiculous.

JLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 11:40 AM
Bob Loblawbrovsky
Winnipeg is boring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Expert View Post
Hockey without fighting would be alright, but I've got an even better idea of something way better. Hockey with fighting.
Hire this man!

Bob Loblawbrovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 11:43 AM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
Not ridiculous at all. Hockey fighting death will possibly come from a KO punch and head striking the ice, massive brain trauma, player never regains consciousness. I don't want this to happen but sadly it will eventually.

The surface of the ring or the octagon is not as hard as ice. Boxers wear gloves, UFA open-finger but still this includes padding. Hockey players are bare-knuckle boxing, on a sheet of ice. That's what's ridiculous.
I thought of you when I saw the thread.. surprised it took so long.. your fighting beacon might need to be calibrated.

Morris Wanchuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misha1976 View Post
Agreed on this. Don Cherry is a cartoon character that plays up all that is backwards in Canadian and hockey culture. In spite of his act, I think fights are important in hockey.
It happens so infrequently in the grand scheme of things...I don't agree with that notion.

But I get that it's entertaining for fans, I also acknowledge that it seems to have some value for players (even though that needs to be taken with a grain of salt IMO) and it's also a part of hockey's culture, and that's important.

But that doesn't mean the NHL shouldn't look at somehow, revising how it deals with fighting. What that would mean? I don't know, make fighting 5 mins + 10 mins unsportsman-like conduct, I don't know.

I just think, and really believe that fighting in the game of hockey should be something meaningful...not just because two guys who otherwise, wouldn't be in the NHL, decide it's time to get noticed.

Like I said, one of my favorite moments in hockey was in 2004 SC playoffs between the Flames and Bolts, when Iginla & Vinny dropped the gloves. That was awesome, you'll never see in anyother sport something so unique where two players who at the time, were as good as it got in the game, square off in a fight. It just doesn't happen.

But a scene like yesterday with McLaren and Dziurzinski.....sorry, I can't get down with that. ( I realize that this is just a personal opinion)

Old
03-07-2013, 11:47 AM
bud12

Stop to cry. We understand, you don't like fighting. Get over it

bud12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud12 View Post
Stop to cry. We understand, you don't like fighting. Get over it
Evidently...you don't.

I don't mind fighting, it is entertaining...I just don't like fighting without reason, no emotion. Just fighting because it's my job.

Now get over yourself

Old
03-07-2013, 11:51 AM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Quote:
It happens so infrequently in the grand scheme of things...I don't agree with that notion.

But I get that it's entertaining for fans, I also acknowledge that it seems to have some value for players (even though that needs to be taken with a grain of salt IMO) and it's also a part of hockey's culture, and that's important.

But that doesn't mean the NHL shouldn't look at somehow, revising how it deals with fighting. What that would mean? I don't know, make fighting 5 mins + 10 mins unsportsman-like conduct, I don't know.

I just think, and really believe that fighting in the game of hockey should be something meaningful...not just because two guys who otherwise, wouldn't be in the NHL, decide it's time to get noticed.

Like I said, one of my favorite moments in hockey was in 2004 SC playoffs between the Flames and Bolts, when Iginla & Vinny dropped the gloves. That was awesome, you'll never see in anyother sport something so unique where two players who at the time, were as good as it got in the game, square off in a fight. It just doesn't happen.

But a scene like yesterday with McLaren and Dziurzinski.....sorry, I can't get down with that. ( I realize that this is just a personal opinion)
As a kid my dad woke me up twice while I was sleeping to see something going on during a hockey game.. guess what the event was?

Its wasn't a goal.

Morris Wanchuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
As a kid my dad woke me up twice while I was sleeping to see something going on during a hockey game.. guess what the event was?

Its wasn't a goal.
And this means?????

again, maybe some of you can't read....I DO NOT MIND FIGHTING, I find it entertaining. I just don't like fighting without emotion or reason.

When Lucic beat the crap out of Komisarek, even as a Habs fan, I respected that...two guys who were itching to go at it with each other. That kind of uniqueness is awesome with the NHL, it's why I love hockey.

But watching two talent-less hacks throw uncontrollable haymakers that rarely connect? Pass....

why is that so wrong?

P.S. as a kid, I stayed up past my bedtime for everyone of the Habs games in 1993 when they won the Cup, 10 of those games went to OT...I don't recall any of the fights in those series, but I do remember the goaltending by Roy, the timely goals by Muller, Leclair, DiPietro, etc.

What does this have to do with anything? Fans of hockey are fans of different things about the game...personally, I happen to think if fighting is the only reason why you watch hockey, then you're not truly a hockey fan.

Old
03-07-2013, 11:59 AM
mandiblesofdoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Joker View Post

In other words, fighting is totally, 100% voluntary. Most NHLers don't have to do it in order to be a NHLer. And as long as most players never or very rarely do it, it's something that's basically manageable. It's not at all comparable to not wearing helmets, or not wearing masks.
Interesting post - but - For your serious goons, fighting is not voluntary. These guys don't have the skills to make the NHL otherwise. They have to fight to keep their paychecks.

mandiblesofdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 12:01 PM
HockeyGuy73

vCash: 292
I have no problem with fighting in hockey. With all the rule changes, its not like it was back in the "good ole days" when you had to fight as a rookie to earn your place in the league. It is the players choice weather to drop the gloves or not. I also have no problem with the so called "staged fights." I would much rather have two guys know its time to go when the puck drops, opposed to someone getting in a cheap shot first.

HockeyGuy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 12:02 PM
The Lollipop King
4th Line = all heart

Quote:

Sure...let's just allow people who have never played the game and want all violence out of it to speak for the good of the game....

The Lollipop King is offline   Reply With Quote