HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

"Lucky" Luc Robitaille

Closed Thread

Old
03-31-2005, 01:47 PM
Victory Ali*

vCash: 500
"Lucky" Luc Robitaille

I am a bit new to hockey and hockey history (I've only been a fan for three years) and one thing has always puzzled me. Why did Luc Robitaille go in the ninth round of his draft year? Luc seemed to have impressive stats in junior (and if I remember correctly he won a MVP award in juniors) yet he still got picked so low... WTF? I've searched these boards and the internet for answers but I can't find any. All I can find is what an amazing player he is. Please help solve this mystery for me.

Old
03-31-2005, 02:02 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

They said he was too slow and soft to be a scorer in the NHL.

One of the alltime biggest steals in NHL history.

Old
03-31-2005, 02:04 PM
Gainey23

i was young at the time of Robitaille's draft year, but i think the rap on him coming out of juniors was 'great hands, average skater, floater..' and wasn't projected to do much at the NHL level.
Robitaille fans will probably give you a different assessment, i was never a big fan of the guy personally, but i seem to be in a minority there.

i wouldn't call Robitaille the Jerry Rice of the NHL, draft-wise, but certainly a gem.

Old
03-31-2005, 02:08 PM
Snap Wilson

Hell, after all these years, I'm still wondering how he was as productive as he was. Great speed? Nope. Blistering slapshot? Nuh-uh. Big player who creates room for himself? Not really.

What he had was great hands, a nose for the net and a binding contract with Satan, and that's all he's ever needed.

Old
03-31-2005, 02:58 PM
Victory Ali*

Hmm... I remember watching him when the Red Wings were playing the 'Canes in the 2001 SCF (my first real exposure to hockey) and being impressed by him.

By the way, cool avatar... Hunter Thompson is a hero of mine

Last edited by Victory Ali*: 03-31-2005 at 03:07 PM.
Old
03-31-2005, 05:00 PM
Steelhead16

I played with Luc back in the days of his first stint with the Kings, back before he got married (then he never played with us again after that). His best friend was on a team that I played on and we played in a summer league to stay in shape, some of the Sharks played too. I played defense on Luc's line so I got a first hand view of what an awesome player he is. He has really worked on his skating the past 10 years and is a much better and much faster skater now than he was then. At the time, I'm not sure that I had played with a much slower guy than Luc. If you didn't pay attention rushing the puck up from behind the net you would pass him. I'm sure that was the only issue that scouts had with him. He has unbelievable vision and awareness on the ice. He knows what's going to happen before it happens and therefore can get to the right spot despite his lack of speed. He also has the quickest release of anyone that I have ever seen, the puck would be gone from his stick before you could even blink. He could also get a little mean now and again if need be, I've seen him take a chunk out of a forearm or two.
As good a player as he is, he is even a nicer guy. Kids would come down to the bench while were playing and would sign autographs between shifts and always had time to answer questions, no matter from who. He was the first person I thought of when the lockout happened. Maybe he's played his last game??? He says not, and I hope that's the case, I like watching him play.

Old
03-31-2005, 05:06 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleCloutierFan
I am a bit new to hockey and hockey history (I've only been a fan for three years) and one thing has always puzzled me. Why did Luc Robitaille go in the ninth round of his draft year? Luc seemed to have impressive stats in junior (and if I remember correctly he won a MVP award in juniors) yet he still got picked so low... WTF? I've searched these boards and the internet for answers but I can't find any. All I can find is what an amazing player he is. Please help solve this mystery for me.
He was seen the same way as Marc Andre Thinel, a former Habs 5th round pick and huge scorer in Junior, and bust as a pro. Some times these guys manage to develop game, but for the most part they end up like Thinel, or Luc's junior teammate Guy Roleau, too slow, weak and soft for the NHL.

Last edited by Psycho Papa Joe: 03-31-2005 at 05:16 PM.
Old
03-31-2005, 05:13 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Luc Robitaille is the highest scoring left wing of all-time. Most goals and points in a season by a LW... most goals and points by a LW in NHL history... and you can't say it's because of all of those years playing with Gretzky. During Luc's career best, record setting season, Gretzky was out for a good chunk of the season, and Luc mainly played with Bernie Nicholls when Gretzky first came around, and then Jari Kurri as his center when Gretz went down.
He wasn't the same after going to the Rangers, but he bounced back again when the Kings reacquired him. I think Luc has been one of the underrated and underappreciated players that not many people took notice to, just like another former King, Marcel Dionne.

Old
03-31-2005, 05:25 PM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Robitaille is single nicest guy I have ever met in my life. I was with a few friends who weren't hockey fans and we saw him out and about in LA. We went up and said Hi. He made such an impression on my friends that they wanted to learn more about hockey and are now huge Kings fans.

Old
03-31-2005, 05:30 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby
They said he was too slow and soft to be a scorer in the NHL.

One of the alltime biggest steals in NHL history.
Amen Bro, This has probably already been mentioned in this thread, but if it hasnt Atlanta Braves pitcher Tom Glavine was drafted before Robitaille.

Old
03-31-2005, 05:35 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneyp
Hell, after all these years, I'm still wondering how he was as productive as he was. Great speed? Nope. Blistering slapshot? Nuh-uh. Big player who creates room for himself? Not really.

What he had was great hands, a nose for the net and a binding contract with Satan, and that's all he's ever needed.
There is another guy who is one of the best all time who doesnt have a Blistering slapshot or great speed and isnt that big Wayne Gretzky. I know he never would have slipped to the 9th round had he been drafted into the NHL and not made the jump to the WHA. I do think that scouts in all sports get a little hung up at times on single skills that a player needs to be good and sometimes overlook guys who can flat out just play the game and I think that is what happened in Robitaile's case.

Old
03-31-2005, 09:51 PM
Habsfan 32

Send a message via ICQ to Habsfan 32 Send a message via MSN to Habsfan 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by c-carp
Amen Bro, This has probably already been mentioned in this thread, but if it hasnt Atlanta Braves pitcher Tom Glavine was drafted before Robitaille.
That's pretty funny. The best scoring left winger of all time went lower than a guy who is now one of the best pitchers in the MLB.

Old
03-31-2005, 09:55 PM
MightyMite

One of the nicest guys you'll ever meet, and funny too! I think many thought at the time he was a slacker and didn't have the intensity (nor the speed) necessary to make it in the NHL. Even though he's so easy going (at least off the ice), he works hard on his game, and it seems that scouts and coaches often mistake that type of temperement for being lackadaisical and undisciplined.

Old
03-31-2005, 10:05 PM
monkey_00*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleCloutierFan
SeattleCloutierFan..............

Not only that but the guy is probably one of the top 3 leftwingers alltime and he hasn't even been selected yet in the Alltime draft that we are having inside this Forum........hmmmm.

Old
03-31-2005, 10:07 PM
The Slap Shop
Shop Like a King

He was a player that never had the speed but just had that certain something. You can't teach that scoring ability. Some people just have that nack for scoring. I once heard Jim Fox say he never looked like the best guy out there in training camp but he'd have like a 2 inch opening and hit it. Just something special.

Closed Thread