HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official Blackhawks Cap Space & Contract Thread?

Old
03-07-2013, 10:44 AM
xX Hot Fuss

vCash: 500
The Official Blackhawks Cap Space & Contract Thread?

Not sure if this thread exists somewhere else but based on reading our "Free Agency" and "Trade Rumor/Speculation" threads i think there are some misconceptions that need to be addressed as well as a basic understanding of the Hawks cap space, both now and in the future, for everyone to easily understand.

HAWKS CAPGEEK

We can use this thread to guess how Bowman will handle the future cap as well as what moves we can afford to make. Along with other things like future raises for current Hawks players, UFAs and RFAs. Basically, all things Chicago Blackhawks Cap space!

Currently the Hawks are at $6.35 Million, about $50,000 under next season's cap. In the offseason the following players will absolutely be getting some sort of raise...

*NOTE: The "Expected Cap Hits" are what i think it will take for the Hawks to re-sign these players OR what i think they'll get on the open market. I could be off but these are my best guesses based on UFA trends the past few years

2012-13 OFFSEASON

PLAYER-->STATUS --> CURRENT CAP HIT-->EXPECTED NEW CAP HIT

Kruger --> RFA-->$900k-->$1.25 million
Stalberg--> UFA--> $875K -->$3.25 million
Mayers--> UFA--> $650K-->$650K
Bickell--> UFA-->$541K-->$2.25 million
Rozsival--> UFA--> $2 million-->$2 million
Leddy-->RFA-->$1.16 million-->$2.25 million
Emery-->UFA-->$1.15 million-->$3.5 million

Cap Hit for the 2013-14 Season: $64.3 Million Cap Space for the 2013-14 Season: $6.63 million

The Chicago Blackhawks do still have 2 Amnesty Buyout Options which they can (and most likely will) use this offseason. If they buy out the contracts of Rostislav Olesz ($3.125 million) and Steve Montador ($2.75 million) they will have an additional $5.87 million in cap space bringing their current cap total to $57.66 million leaving them with $6.63 million in cap space for next offseason.

With the above mentioned players that will need raises this offseason, it also needs to be noted that in the 2013-14 OFFSEASON the following players are due raises...

2013-14 OFFSEASON

PLAYER-->STATUS --> CURRENT CAP HIT-->EXPECTED NEW CAP HIT

Bolland--> UFA-->$3.37 million-->???
Hjalmarsson--> UFA--> $3.5 million -->???
Brookbank--> UFA--> $1.25 million-->???
Crawford--> UFA-->$2.66 million->???

The future is uncertain in terms of how these above mentioned players will be playing in their contract year, but i think its safe to assume atleast 2 out of the 3 (Brookbank will be gone most likely) will be back with Chicago and need raises.

These next two offseasons are going to be absolutely crucial to the Blackhawks future success. The management of our depth, and key role players is going to determine a lot. Long term contracts could potentially be a killer for this team. Bad contracts absolutely will be. Kane and Toews will need raises as well so any contracts that extend past the 2014-15 season have to be friendly to our team.

Ladies and gentleman, fellow Hawks fans, i believe we our quickly approaching cap hell.

EDIT: Given the strong possibility my math is wrong, please dont hesitate to correct me...not that you wouldn't have anyway

xX Hot Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 11:00 AM
digdug41982

vCash: 50
Nice write up. The cap will go up in 2014-15, so that will help. Leddy, Kruger, Hammer, Bolland and Crawford are the only players we really need.

Leddy-2.25M (still seems steep to me, but whatever, better be 3 years, that all I have to say)
Hammer-4.25M (very reasonable IMO, another 4 year deal)
Crawford-3.75M (if he wants to be here which I think he does, give him 4 or 5 years to keep the cap hit down)
Kruger-1.25M (reasonable)
Bolland-4.25M (same deal as Hammer)

They'll just have to go cheap everywhere else. I believe the cap will go up enough to make this work though. At worst, Bolland goes but I don't even want to think about the Hawks without Bolland.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 11:12 AM
Kane At Mifflin

Zero chance Emery gets close to 3.5M.

Kane At Mifflin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 11:14 AM
Illinihockey

I think Leddy is about $250,000 off and Kruger is about $500,000 off. I think you are pretty close on the rest.

Illinihockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 11:42 AM
Taze em

I know it's down the road but the NHL13 GM in me is nervous about what Toews and Kane might ask for. Any guesses on their value in UFA and what kind of discount we could get?

Taze em is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 11:42 AM
digdug41982

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taze em View Post
I know it's down the road but the NHL13 GM in me is nervous about what Toews and Kane might ask for. Any guesses on their value in UFA and what kind of discount we could get?
7.5M each is what I want them for.

Old
03-07-2013, 11:50 AM
Callidusblackhawk

Quote:
That game is so ridiculous... Toews always asks for like 11m a year haha. I'm thinking they both sign long term for something a bit more reasonable. Coldsteel's guess sounds about right at 7.5m

Callidusblackhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 11:52 AM
Taze em

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
7.5M each is what I want them for.
That's very reasonable.

As far as the OP saying we are lined up for another cap hell situation, look... We have hossa toews Kane sharp seabrook keith oduya leddy and they aren't going anywhere.

That core won't be changing and the 3-4 lines will always be fresh cheap faces that will step up and go elsewhere. We have the guys in the system to replace those losses if/when they come.

Old
03-07-2013, 12:01 PM
digdug41982

Not a knock on him, but if I'm keeping Oduya after he ages another year or so vs. keeping Bolland or Hammer, it isn't even a decision. That's always an option for us if we need to use it.

Old
03-07-2013, 12:06 PM
Taze em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callidusblackhawk View Post
That game is so ridiculous... Toews always asks for like 11m a year haha. I'm thinking they both sign long term for something a bit more reasonable. Coldsteel's guess sounds about right at 7.5m
I know right? In the game Kane signs for 6.5 and toews says **** all of you and asks for 11.5. Virtual toews almost hurt my feelings.

Old
03-07-2013, 12:15 PM
xX Hot Fuss

If this thread is good enough, maybe it can be stickied? Or a Mod can edit out the non-essential information. We all talk about acquiring UFA X or trading for player Y but we really dont have the cap space to make any long term moves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetEmKnow View Post
Zero chance Emery gets close to 3.5M.
I posted this in one of the Hawks threads on the main board. If Emery gets about 9 more starts this year and finishes 15-2-2 with a GAA of 2.15 and SV% of .920 or some similar stat line, i think there will definitely be teams that need a goalie that would be willing to offer that to Emery. Obviously Bowman would never sign him for that but i think somewhere around the $3 mil range is what Emery will be offered on the open market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
I think Leddy is about $250,000 off and Kruger is about $500,000 off. I think you are pretty close on the rest.
Kruger will be making on the low end of $1 mil IMO. He kills penalties (very well) but is our 4C who can move up every now and then due to injury. He isn't putting up the offensive numbers to justify a cap hit closer to $2 mil.

Old
03-07-2013, 12:16 PM
xX Hot Fuss

Quote:
I know right? In the game Kane signs for 6.5 and toews says **** all of you and asks for 11.5. Virtual toews almost hurt my feelings.
Lucky! In GM Connected Kane asked for $9.25 and Toews asked for $11.50.

Old
03-07-2013, 12:20 PM
Cullksinikers

We'll see if they hang onto Bolland.

I love Bolland, but there will be young kids like Teuvo trying to get a slot in the lineup.

Cullksinikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 12:22 PM
digdug41982

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post

I love Bolland, but there will be young kids like Teuvo trying to get a slot in the lineup.
We could just let Teuvo stay in Finland and come over as a Finnished product at 22 a la Selanne.

Old
03-07-2013, 12:29 PM
Taze em

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
We could just let Teuvo stay in Finland and come over as a Finnished product at 22 a la Selanne.
I see what you did there...

Old
03-07-2013, 01:25 PM
slappipappi

YOu generally, can't, nor should you, keep a team intact in a cap world.

We will continually need to keep changing the non-cor eplayers, and occasionally change the core players.

If Emery keeps playing welll, he will be gone next year. Some one will over pay. The back up goalie on our team is worth about $1M. If Emery can have huge success here, so can the next guy. He is very much replaceable.

I assume that we will but out the two contracts mentioned.

The two players I would look to perhaps move are Boland and perhaps even Sharp. Sure they are good, but neither is absolutely essential to our ong term success, and we need to find cap space for players like Leddy as they develop.

slappipappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 01:56 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by xX Hot Fuss View Post

Kruger will be making on the low end of $1 mil IMO. He kills penalties (very well) but is our 4C who can move up every now and then due to injury. He isn't putting up the offensive numbers to justify a cap hit closer to $2 mil.
I hope you are right, I just feel like everyone guesses on the low end when predicting what RFA's will make. Kruger has 9 points now (projects out to a 36 point season over an 82 game schedule). Frolik put up 38 points the year before he got the current contract he has ($2.3 mil).

Old
03-07-2013, 01:57 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post

Bolland is such a conundrum. He's part of the heart and soul of this Hawks team, but he consistently misses time. I'm not sure you can pay him $4+ mil when he becomes a free agent.

Old
03-07-2013, 04:00 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

I like the idea of this thread. Could even get a sticky if we keep it with talks about the business side and Contracts only

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 04:24 PM
ice2seeyou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
Bolland is such a conundrum. He's part of the heart and soul of this Hawks team, but he consistently misses time. I'm not sure you can pay him $4+ mil when he becomes a free agent.
Playing around with Capgeek it seems it comes down to Stalberg or Bolland...

Last edited by ice2seeyou: 03-07-2013 at 04:49 PM.
ice2seeyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 04:28 PM
zytz
lumberjack

I feel like there will be a lot of turnover in the next two years.... too many guys needing to be re-upped, and too many guys knocking at the door in Rockford.

I have a bad feeling Bolland won't be a Hawks lifer... which is too bad as I like the guy a lot.

I think over the next two years we see Bickell, Stalberg, Mayers, Frolik, Bolland one of Leddy or Hammer and Emery leave the team, and we'll see Pirri, Morin, Smith, maybe Danault and a couple UFAs join us.

I think Stan like to think long-term, and I think he will want to be good and ready to throw big contracts at Toews and Kane when the time comes... I can def see him keeping salary down by using young guys on ELCs over the next couple years.

zytz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 04:58 PM
ice2seeyou

Quote:
Originally Posted by zytz View Post
I feel like there will be a lot of turnover in the next two years.... too many guys needing to be re-upped, and too many guys knocking at the door in Rockford.

I have a bad feeling Bolland won't be a Hawks lifer... which is too bad as I like the guy a lot.

I think over the next two years we see Bickell, Stalberg, Mayers, Frolik, Bolland one of Leddy or Hammer and Emery leave the team, and we'll see Pirri, Morin, Smith, maybe Danault and a couple UFAs join us.

I think Stan like to think long-term, and I think he will want to be good and ready to throw big contracts at Toews and Kane when the time comes... I can def see him keeping salary down by using young guys on ELCs over the next couple years.
You're right. The problem comes down to which young guys do you keep and who do you let walk. I have a feeling Bickell will walk after this year. It's going to be very interesting to see what Stan does.

ice2seeyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 09:48 PM
zytz
lumberjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice2seeyou View Post
You're right. The problem comes down to which young guys do you keep and who do you let walk. I have a feeling Bickell will walk after this year. It's going to be very interesting to see what Stan does.
I'll really like what Bickell has done this year.... but Im still not sold that this is the real Bickell were seeing. Unfortunately I think he will go the way of Skille, whom I also like a lot.... players with great sets of tools that just can't put it all together...

zytz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 11:51 PM
EbonyRaptor

Trade Montador before the TDL this year and buyout Olesz and Frolik or trade Frolik this summer and buyout Olesz and Montador. Then go with this roster for 2013/14:

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Brandon Saad ($0.894m) / Jonathan Toews ($6.300m) / Marian Hossa ($5.275m)
Patrick Sharp ($5.900m) / Dave Bolland ($3.375m) / Patrick Kane ($6.300m)
Bryan Bickell ($1.750m) / Andrew Shaw ($0.565m) / Viktor Stalberg ($3.000m)
Phillip Danault ($0.994m) / Marcus Kruger ($1.750m) / Jimmy Hayes ($0.875m)
Daniel Carcillo ($0.825m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Duncan Keith ($5.538m) / Brent Seabrook ($5.800m)
Johnny Oduya ($3.383m) / Niklas Hjalmarsson ($3.500m)
Nick Leddy ($2.500m) / Adam Clendening ($0.925m)
Sheldon Brookbank ($1.250m) /
GOALTENDERS
Corey Crawford ($2.667m)
Henrik Karlsson ($1.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,284,295; BONUSES: $527,500
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $543,205

EbonyRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 12:09 AM
sup bro*

I know it's been stated but Emery ------> $3.5 million....is that a joke? Based on what, ten games?

sup bro* is offline   Reply With Quote