HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will this team ever spend money?

Old
03-07-2013, 11:53 AM
Inquisition13

vCash: 500
Will this team ever spend money?

Hello, everyone. New to these boards. Florida transplant, and have been following the Panthers for years. Got into an argument today with a coworker regarding how the Panthers will never spend money--and how Huberdeau and Markstrom will be gone as soon as their contracts are up.

I countered with Bure, and a few others...but then realized they were trades, and not free-agent signings.

So again, will this team every spend money?

Inquisition13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 11:58 AM
King Panther
ElGrandeDbagSupreme

They absolutely will. It will be in about 3-4 years from now when we have a very good team. They will bring in one or two high priced free agents to put us over the top. You can see the model in the Blackhawks (Hossa) and the Kings (Richards, Carter). But dont expect it anytime soon.

King Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 12:00 PM
ShootIt

You mean spend up to the cap?

Who knows. We need a richer owner. Although I rather have Viner than Cohen as the majority owner.

IIRC, most of the contracts to Jovo, Flash, Upshall etc expire when Huberdeau ELC expires as well, so we'll have his services for awhile.

Markstrom, won't be commanding a high salary when his contract expires, unless he goes on an absolute tear to end the year. Even then, it would be probably higher than the new goalie in Anaheim.

Both guys are RFA's, for 4-6 more years. They won't go anywhere unless we trade them.

I only think this team will shell out more money once the guys Tallon drafted start producing. If/when Huberdeau, Bjugstad, Gudbranson, Howden etc start playing close to their potential I think Tallon can persuade Viner and Co. to open up their wallets to keep said players and grab a key FA to go further into the playoffs.

ShootIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 12:01 PM
RainingRats

We need a billionaire owner.

RainingRats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 12:10 PM
Inquisition13

Thanks for the input, guys. I really want to believe that they will. It would be nice to see hockey become extraordinarily successful down here in South Florida.

I'll be at the game, tomorrow.

Go Cats!

Inquisition13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 12:11 PM
Laus723
Future Now

This team has spent to the cap, just did it poorly and improperly.

Those two won't be gone. We'll be very similar to Chicago. We're on that path.

03-07-2013, 12:13 PM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootIt View Post
You mean spend up to the cap?

Who knows. We need a richer owner. Although I rather have Viner than Cohen as the majority owner.

IIRC, most of the contracts to Jovo, Flash, Upshall etc expire when Huberdeau ELC expires as well, so we'll have his services for awhile.

Markstrom, won't be commanding a high salary when his contract expires, unless he goes on an absolute tear to end the year. Even then, it would be probably higher than the new goalie in Anaheim.

Both guys are RFA's, for 4-6 more years. They won't go anywhere unless we trade them.

I only think this team will shell out more money once the guys Tallon drafted start producing. If/when Huberdeau, Bjugstad, Gudbranson, Howden etc start playing close to their potential I think Tallon can persuade Viner and Co. to open up their wallets to keep said players and grab a key FA to go further into the playoffs.
This FTW!

It requires us winning and thus drawing more fans in the arena. Once the average ticket prices are closer to the top teams of the league and the tickets are difficult to get, then you could see the team more willing to spend in FA. Thats always been the story though with this town so its not something new...once the team is a perennial winner and the fans are coming en mass then we will have the money to spend. For us to be a winner, we need those guys you mentioned to be leading us.

Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 12:14 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Some depends on whether Yormark gets the vegas deal done

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 09:32 PM
jol

They have to spend, estimated hockey related revenue, whole NHL, will be about $2.4 billion for current season. I believe cap is set already for next season, 2013-14, $64 million as ceiling?? but after that it will be going up. Earlier prediction, cap ceiling at the end of cba, would be at $90 million, but i think it will be much higher.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_...hPdXnsX2QvFI/0

JOL

jol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 11:50 PM
Dread Clawz
Markstrom Rules

It will take a couple of playoff runs. When Viner is assured that we are a perennial playoff team, I think he will open up the wallet.

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 07:21 AM
Blad Meaning Gud
Yu - Behr - Doe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
We need a billionaire owner.
Pretty much... Viner/Cohen are very wealthy men, but we'll never spend like the big markets, just how it is.... Lucky Tampa...

Blad Meaning Gud is offline   Reply With Quote