HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 Official BST Discussion Thread Part II

Closed Thread

Old
11-03-2012, 10:06 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

vCash: 500
2012-2013 Official BST Discussion Thread Part II

Continue on

Previous edition:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=999493

11-04-2012, 12:42 AM
Brain Hemorrhage

Just got back to Boston from the game about 45 mins ago.

Nino made an awesome pass to Cizikas to kickstart the offense. Cizikas buried it backdoor. I kind of wish Nino was more active on the power play than just taking a beating in front of the net. Seems like a waste of his skill. It's like we are training him to replace Moulson. He displayed his power forward ability at one point, when driving to the net. He literally pushed the defender with one hand and knocked him on his arse. And he threw some good hits during the game, towards the end of the game he drew to penalties and should have drawn more slashing calls. I dont know exactly why the Bears were so pissed at him, didnt see him do anything malicious, but one guy slashed Nino in the ankles as he was skating away and it didnt get called. Probably because Nino didnt sell it with any pain and skated away unharmed.

Nelson is awesome. He dominated the offensive zone. He also has a nose for the net and just seems unstoppable when he wants to carry the puck into the area in front of the crease. He also rarely loses a scrum along the boards. He uses his whole body to dig the puck. He needs to do a better job cycling once he digs it out, though. Maybe that's just chemistry.

I really like Landry. He sees the ice very well and makes a great first pass. Not sure how this kid was stuck in the ECHL for so long.

I also like Persson a lot. Big, thick, for his age. Plays with lots of jam, lays the body on people. Threw a hip check like a dman. Some good passes. I see him being a very good 4th liner who can score 10 goals. Just needs to work on his weaknesses and learn his new role.

Saw Kirill as the Section 112 food stand. He was dressed dapper, was with his mom, so I did not want to bug him. A fan came up and said Kirill was his favorite "Islander" due to always talking with the fans. Uh, ok. I don't understand most fan interactions with players. How about telling a joke instead, like, "So Kirill, what magic words should I say to a Russian woman?" The fan asked Kirill how long he will be out for, and Kirill looked at the cast on his hand and said "Uh, I don't know." aka dumb question.

Last edited by Brain Hemorrhage: 11-04-2012 at 12:48 AM.
Old
11-04-2012, 06:24 AM
Ziggy16

yesterdays game and todays game are fully sold out due to the free ticket weekend promo.. if you didnt get tix and wanted to for today, your out of luck..

Old
11-04-2012, 07:31 AM
Brain Hemorrhage

You are not out of luck. Last night there were at least 5 scalpers and plenty of empty seats. Some people probably got tickets only to try to sell them. Kind of crazy. If it's just you and one other person I bet you can get 2 seats.

Old
11-04-2012, 07:54 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain Hemorrhage View Post

Nino made an awesome pass to Cizikas to kickstart the offense. Cizikas buried it backdoor. I kind of wish Nino was more active on the power play than just taking a beating in front of the net. Seems like a waste of his skill. It's like we are training him to replace Moulson. He displayed his power forward ability at one point, when driving to the net. He literally pushed the defender with one hand and knocked him on his arse. And he threw some good hits during the game, towards the end of the game he drew to penalties and should have drawn more slashing calls. I dont know exactly why the Bears were so pissed at him, didnt see him do anything malicious, but one guy slashed Nino in the ankles as he was skating away and it didnt get called. Probably because Nino didnt sell it with any pain and skated away unharmed.

Nelson is awesome. He dominated the offensive zone. He also has a nose for the net and just seems unstoppable when he wants to carry the puck into the area in front of the crease. He also rarely loses a scrum along the boards. He uses his whole body to dig the puck. He needs to do a better job cycling once he digs it out, though. Maybe that's just chemistry.

I really like Landry. He sees the ice very well and makes a great first pass. Not sure how this kid was stuck in the ECHL for so long.

I also like Persson a lot. Big, thick, for his age. Plays with lots of jam, lays the body on people. Threw a hip check like a dman. Some good passes. I see him being a very good 4th liner who can score 10 goals. Just needs to work on his weaknesses and learn his new role.

Saw Kirill as the Section 112 food stand. He was dressed dapper, was with his mom, so I did not want to bug him. A fan came up and said Kirill was his favorite "Islander" due to always talking with the fans. Uh, ok. I don't understand most fan interactions with players. How about telling a joke instead, like, "So Kirill, what magic words should I say to a Russian woman?" The fan asked Kirill how long he will be out for, and Kirill looked at the cast on his hand and said "Uh, I don't know." aka dumb question.
Good stuff! Thanks!

Old
11-04-2012, 08:55 AM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:

I'm annoyed I couldn't make the game with you. Maybe the Manchester game on Friday?

Anyway, thanks for the analysis. I am really loving what I've seen out of Nelson too. When he fills out, I think he's going to be a beast. We lack size down the middle and he could go a long way in remedying that.

Old
11-04-2012, 08:55 AM
Jester9881

Quote:
I can't agree with this. The games I've watched he's made some boneheaded outlet passes that ended up on opponents sticks. I have to say, I'm very disappointed with the defense. For something that was supposed to be a strength, I'm seeing a lot of holes. Other than Hamonic, CdH (when he was healthy) and Donovan.... they very much looked like an ECHL level defense to me.

Old
11-04-2012, 09:03 AM
luki here

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
I'm annoyed I couldn't make the game with you. Maybe the Manchester game on Friday?

Anyway, thanks for the analysis. I am really loving what I've seen out of Nelson too. When he fills out, I think he's going to be a beast. We lack size down the middle and he could go a long way in remedying that.
nelson looked very strong, especially in tight space.

BTW: yesterday i commented on how much improved the neulion ahl live streaming service got. The commentators later mentioned how the improved picture quality stems not from neulion but from the sound tigers buying better equipment to go along with the hd def score board they are getting. So all away games will continue to be in the terrible definition that we are used to...

Old
11-04-2012, 09:48 AM
luki here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester9881 View Post
I can't agree with this. The games I've watched he's made some boneheaded outlet passes that ended up on opponents sticks. I have to say, I'm very disappointed with the defense. For something that was supposed to be a strength, I'm seeing a lot of holes. Other than Hamonic, CdH (when he was healthy) and Donovan.... they very much looked like an ECHL level defense to me.
just one game, but i thought ness and donovan looked much improved yesterday. didnt you think so?

Old
11-04-2012, 09:50 AM
Jester9881

Brock Nelson is a special player, I've been saying it for a couple years now. I'm surprised he's stayed so under the radar considering how similar prospects from other systems have gotten much more hype. He's got every tool you want to see in a top prospect, he just needs some seasoning. Fantastic hands on this kid.

Old
11-04-2012, 09:52 AM
Jester9881

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasfindl View Post
just one game, but i thought ness and donovan looked much improved yesterday. didnt you think so?
Donovan, yes.

Ness seems to me like a run-of-the-mill, smallish offense first defenseman. That's fine, if you're going to put up the offensive numbers..... but I don't see it from him.

My opinion: He's not nearly good enough offensively, to make up for his defensive shortcomings.

Edit: I think Kitchton will much better fit that role.

Old
11-04-2012, 09:53 AM
scott99

Not gonna complain, especially with a 5-2 record, BUT, should the UPS line be broken up ? Ullstrom, Persson and Sundstrom are all very talented in their own rights, but they don't seem to be meshing together. I like the idea of having a Swede line, BUT if its not working, lets see what these guys can do with other linemates.

Old
11-04-2012, 09:57 AM
Jester9881

I'd leave that line alone for the time being.... I'd move Nino though. Nino needs to have a creative center on his line, and as much as I like Cizikas.... he ain't that type of player. Nino was playing real well when he was paired with Kabanov and Nelson.

Old
11-04-2012, 10:00 AM
scott99

Quote:
Brock Nelson is a special player, I've been saying it for a couple years now. I'm surprised he's stayed so under the radar considering how similar prospects from other systems have gotten much more hype. He's got every tool you want to see in a top prospect, he just needs some seasoning. Fantastic hands on this kid.
People have stated his skating as the only tool missing. And let's not forget, he only had one great college season, he went from being a high school player, to 4th line freshman (solid freshman season), to breakout sophomore season, to Pro, all in a 2 year time period. He needed to mature physically and work on his skating before he could be thought of as a top NHL prospect. He certainly seems like he's following the right path though. I love what he brings to the table. I remember watching him play college hockey last year, and on a power play, right after a face off win, he immediately went right to the front of the net screening the goalie, and I thought to myself, this kid just instinctively gets it. I'm thinking he'll play in the NHL at 6'3" 215, he could be an imposing player in the NHL.

Old
11-04-2012, 10:48 AM
Jester9881

Anyone that said his skating was bad, was looking for a negative in his game. I think you would be hard pressed to find anyone that said he didn't possess all the tools to be a blue chip prospect.

Old
11-04-2012, 10:52 AM
Jester9881

This is the only hit I got (came up multiple times) when I searched for Brock Nelson skating...

http://www.yardbarker.com/nhl/articl...risto/11255140

And even Pronman qualified it by saying there were no holes in his game.

Old
11-04-2012, 10:57 AM
scott99

Quote:
Anyone that said his skating was bad, was looking for a negative in his game. I think you would be hard pressed to find anyone that said he didn't possess all the tools to be a blue chip prospect.

Jester, surely your joking right (sorry couldn't help myself). I don't think Nelson will ever win any speed skating competition like say an Ullstrom would. But if he can be an average to above average skater, combined with that size, those hands, and his great hockey sense, oh my, he could be a very dangerous player. Like someone else here said, I'd love to see him combine with Niño full time down in the AHL, that could be a filthy combo.

Old
11-04-2012, 11:14 AM
thedonger

vCash: 50
Quote:
from my limited viewing of him in his 1st freshman and sophomore seasons, along with the wjc, i can kind of see why there are some who saw his skating as a weakness...not that i agree.

in his first season, he was all skin and bones and got pushed around pretty easily. in his 2nd season where he broke out, most of his scoring came from crashing the net, great hands and being in the right place at the right time(hockey sense)...not relying on speed per se like kreider. combine that with not quite being a plus skater(but again, not necessarily a weakness), then yeah, i can see where some people are coming from.

i think that now that he's starting to develop some of his man strength, and is becoming stronger and stronger on the puck, the same people will likely not see skating as a weakness. the neat thing is, imo, he has the tools to become a plus skater, just needs to work on strength(which will come) and technique.

Old
11-04-2012, 11:19 AM
Jester9881

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
Jester, surely your joking right (sorry couldn't help myself).

Quote:
I don't think Nelson will ever win any speed skating competition like say an Ullstrom would. But if he can be an average to above average skater, combined with that size, those hands, and his great hockey sense, oh my, he could be a very dangerous player. Like someone else here said, I'd love to see him combine with Niño full time down in the AHL, that could be a filthy combo.
I wouldn't say his skating is a strength, but it certainly isn't a weakness either. He may not be a Michael Grabner, but he's no Mark Parrish/Trent Hunter out there either.

I'd say he's a better skater than JT was when he was drafted.

JMHO

Old
11-04-2012, 02:11 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Does he get to the right spot on the ice in good time? Can a medium speed skater stay up every hit and go into traffic well? Does Dorothy Hamill have a wicked blast from the slot? I hate the skating is paramount nonsense.

Speed is an asset. So is positioning, release, shot selection and eye for passing. So, unfortunately, is strength on one's skates. So he has no holes yet can't skate faster than Messier or Coffey? Hmm....?

Old
11-04-2012, 02:57 PM
Jester9881

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
Does he get to the right spot on the ice in good time? Can a medium speed skater stay up every hit and go into traffic well? Does Dorothy Hamill have a wicked blast from the slot? I hate the skating is paramount nonsense.

Speed is an asset. So is positioning, release, shot selection and eye for passing. So, unfortunately, is strength on one's skates. So he has no holes yet can't skate faster than Messier or Coffey? Hmm....?
Huh? He's got plenty of speed..... I don't see him having trouble keeping up with anyone out there. Actually, he's solid in every single area you just brought up, with his best assets being hands and hockey IQ, with his passing and board work not far behind.

Old
11-04-2012, 03:31 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Huh? He's got plenty of speed..... I don't see him having trouble keeping up with anyone out there. Actually, he's solid in every single area you just brought up, with his best assets being hands and hockey IQ, with his passing and board work not far behind.
No doubt! I just hate how the armchair GM's dismiss talent because of skating speed. Good skating is a lot more involved than just speed. Agility, I say, is more important. (think of going to the net hard and being able to dangle and deke, rather than to go Grabner and reduce your chances every inch forward)

I don't worry about Strome's wheels, just his size and ability to take a hit in the bigs.

Old
11-04-2012, 03:41 PM
Jester9881

Ah, I got ya. I agree.... people put too much stock into that single aspect. Speed alone doesn't put the puck in the net, and it doesn't prevent the puck from going into your own.

Old
11-04-2012, 05:51 PM
Zanny

I was listening to the Bridgeport feed. It sounded like Brock Nelson's goal at the end of the game was assisted by Donovan and Nino but then the score keeper gave the first assist to Sunstrom and second to Donovan. Did the score keeper get it wrong or did Sunstrom actually get the first assist?

Last edited by Zanny: 11-04-2012 at 06:01 PM.
Old
11-04-2012, 07:48 PM
scott99

Bridgeport lost 5-3 today. Poulin was pulled after giving up 3 goals in the second period (at least I'm hoping that's what happened, hoping it wasn't an injury). Niederreiter and Nelson scored goals again, as did Persson. Ness, Donovan, Halmo, Sundstrom all had assists.

Closed Thread