HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

New York Islanders Midseason Report Card

Old
03-12-2013, 09:41 AM
Slashers98

vCash: 500

http://thehockeywriters.com/new-york...n-report-card/

Agree or disagree?

Slashers98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 09:54 AM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slashers98 View Post
http://thehockeywriters.com/new-york...n-report-card/

Agree or disagree?
I think they are being very generous with that coaching grade.

bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 10:00 AM
Isles Junkie

I say

Offense - C-
Defense - D+
PP - A-
PK - B
Goaltending - C+
Coaching - F-

Offense - We just do not generate anything 5 on 5. We're lucky the PP is so good, because if it wasn't, we'd never win any games.

Defense - The D is just really lousy. The only thing keeping it from being a F is Hickey & Finley have proven to be useful (albeit flawed) bottom pairing guys.

PP - really solid. Well the 1st unit is at least. The 2nd unit is pretty forgettable. I wonder how many goals that 2nd unit has scored this year.

PK - was really solid, but they've slipped quite a bit. Missing Strait probably hurts them a lot. and Hamonic doing his best Scott Lachance impersonation these days & having so many goals go off of him isn't helping matters.

Goaltending - For the most part, Nabokov has done a good job, and he has stolen us a few points/games here and there. But he's also given up way too many softies. I'm not so sure I want to bring him back, but I'm not sure if Poulin/Nilsson are ready either. I still worry you know who will make it back any day now.

Coaching - We have a whole thread dedicated to the head coach needing to be fired. That says it all right there. Weight & Thompson seem to be really good assistants though.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 10:09 AM
blitzkriegs

The horses may not be there, the roster is flawed, but this "youth" is stagnating due to the terrible coaching staff the Isles have.

I don't expect the isles to be a true contender on Wang's buck, but t the very least dont undermine the rebuild by cheaping out on the coach. Much like players will not
Come to isles due to organizational dysfunction (it's not the friggin building), neither will a coach that knows the owner will not put the horses on the ice for him to be successful.

The on I've product is a reflection of Wang as a owner.

So, an F all around.

blitzkriegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 10:19 AM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 400
I pretty much agree with everything isles junkie says..

They're way too generous on the offense this team has no secondary scoring and is awful on 5v5..

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 10:19 AM
redbull
game on

Not the best article, it's generic and not very accurate. I understand this is just a blog and I'm not expecting any real insight, but to group Cizikas and Ullstrom and suggest they've both been inconsistent is way off base.

Cizikas has been excellent. Ullstrom started off well, has tailed off and has been re-assigned to the AHL.

Strait was hardly the "best Isles dman by far" - he was solid, better than expected for a waiver pick-up but he's not Erik Karlsson and frankly, I don't think the Isles miss him that much. Martinek & Hickey haven't played badly - problem is, the Isles have no answers for many of the top forwards in the NHL, especially ones with size.

You cannot give a mid-season report card on the Isles without talking about how horrible they are 5on5, especially the top line. How they are 29th in the league in GAA.

This team would be dead last without Tavares

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 12:24 PM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
Not the best article, it's generic and not very accurate. I understand this is just a blog and I'm not expecting any real insight, but to group Cizikas and Ullstrom and suggest they've both been inconsistent is way off base.

Cizikas has been excellent. Ullstrom started off well, has tailed off and has been re-assigned to the AHL.

Strait was hardly the "best Isles dman by far" - he was solid, better than expected for a waiver pick-up but he's not Erik Karlsson and frankly, I don't think the Isles miss him that much. Martinek & Hickey haven't played badly - problem is, the Isles have no answers for many of the top forwards in the NHL, especially ones with size.

You cannot give a mid-season report card on the Isles without talking about how horrible they are 5on5, especially the top line. How they are 29th in the league in GAA.

This team would be dead last without Tavares
Strait at least had somewhat of a physical game which, other than Harmonic, is completely absent from our defense. Strait is second in hits on D with 25 in 15 games to Harminics 34 through 26 games . Is he a top pairing Dman? Absolutely not, but we really don't have a top pairing Dman at our disposal. Everyone on this team with the exception of Tavares has been placed in a position beyond what they are capable of. So Strait being used as a second pairing Dman and playing very well defensively was a big loss.

Last edited by bigd: 03-12-2013 at 02:14 PM.
bigd is offline   Reply With Quote