HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Could Martin St. Louis ask for a trade?

Old
03-10-2013, 03:34 PM
Crabby Williams

vCash: 500
Could Martin St. Louis ask for a trade?

The thread on the trade board got me thinking... Does anyone think Marty would quietly ask Yzerman for a trade? He is ultra competitive, and he's getting up there in age...

Last edited by LightningStrikes: 03-10-2013 at 04:54 PM. Reason: separate thread
Crabby Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 04:24 PM
LightningStrikes
VL4ever

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabby Williams View Post
The thread on the trade board got me thinking... Does anyone think Marty would quietly ask Yzerman for a trade? He is ultra competitive, and he's getting up there in age...
Could be. When he re-signed with us wasn't one of his requirements that the Lightning become/stay a playoff team?

LightningStrikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 05:00 PM
HoseEmAllAround
Extend Matt Carle

I do recall him saying that if he believed this team couldn't make the playoffs, he would have considered playing somewhere else.

Well, we haven't made the playoffs in two years. About when his comment was made I think.

So...

I really hope not, but I would definitely understand. We would likely get good pieces back. It's kind of frustrating that a team that looks this good on paper is so bad.

Everyone says our D is suspect, but it has definitely improved from last year, and we are WORSE than last year right now. And our D is really not that bad.

Sigh. Don't go Marty.

HoseEmAllAround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 05:04 PM
LightningStrikes
VL4ever

Déjà vu: http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hocke...-trade/1087242 (2010)

LightningStrikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 05:22 PM
warlord6

Hate to say it or see it. I'd be ok with it. I totally understand. Have to wonder what Vinik is thinking right now.

warlord6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 05:25 PM
Crabby Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningStrikes View Post
Could be. When he re-signed with us wasn't one of his requirements that the Lightning become/stay a playoff team?
I believe it was. I hope it doesn't happen, but like Klinkhammer said, I would understand if he wanted another chance at winning while he is still putting up elite seasons.

Crabby Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 05:51 PM
Jacko95

Well I think it would be a tough decision for him, most likely leaving his family down in Tampa. ANd I would really hope, he will retire as a Bolt. bBut somehow I think he doesn't want to leave. His family is in Tampa, he played their for over a decade and has already a Stanley Cup championship.
If I would be in his position, I would decide to stay, every year only one team wins the Cup, so how likely it's the team he would be send to? And I wouldn't want to leave my family/ force them to live somewhere else.
Is a team really willing to give up, what he is worth? He is 37, but a team gets on of the top3 playmakers in the league. I can't see that many teams are able to pay what I would want as a return.
I would be willing to give hiim up for a top5 pick, but no playoff team has a top5 pick And no team would be willing to part with a top D.

Something I could see would be from Nashville, but I doubt he would be willing to go to Nashville.
I think Roman Josi and a first plus a top prospect could work (my opinion) Maybe Watson as the prospect

Jacko95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 06:31 PM
CC321

If we are going to consider Marty leaving, then Salo has to be considered also. Sami came here thinking we were going to have a bounce back, cup contending team. Anything is possible, but that doesn't look likely anymore. At age 38, he would probably like to have a shot at winning a championship.

CC321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 06:49 PM
The Macho Man
Fire Cooper

vCash: 134
Not happening. It's not like we're tanking, here. We're underperforming, but we're putting talent on the ice. I don't think Marty goes anywhere.

The Macho Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 06:55 PM
CC321

A lot of things likely depend on how we do in these last 3 weeks before the trade deadline.

Old
03-10-2013, 07:05 PM
The Macho Man
Fire Cooper

vCash: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC321 View Post
A lot of things likely depend on how we do in these last 3 weeks before the trade deadline.
Marty isn't a deadline deal guy. He's under contract for a few years, so he's not a rental. Even if we're last in the league, that doesn't mean he's being moved, and even if he asked for a trade that doesn't mean SFY would be in a rush to move him at the deadline. This isn't going to happen, at least not this season.

The Macho Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 07:12 PM
CC321

You may be right, but the conversation was about the possibility of Marty asking for a trade to a contender. We are just guessing at possibilities here.

Old
03-10-2013, 07:33 PM
Bolts4Life91

I don't see why Marty would want to leave. He has a cup and won it with the team who give him a shot. Don't know why he'd want to leave.

Bolts4Life91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 07:40 PM
HoseEmAllAround
Extend Matt Carle

Do you guys think SFY talks to the players to find out about the coaching? Does he ask Vinny and Marty and Stammer what they think of Guy? I would have to assume yes. I would also have to assume they wouldn't say anything bad about Guy.

HoseEmAllAround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 07:46 PM
bassassin

He could, hence why I created that thread, IMO if it happens it happens this season. He has a couple of elite seasons left, I doubt we make the playoffs. He is an ultra-competitive guy. Can you blame him if he wants to leave?

If he doesn't ask for it this season I reckon he is here for the long haul, I really hope that is the case. But given all he has done for the Lightning from his role when we won the cup, through all the ****** times after, to being there to help Stammer become the player he is now. I could only sadly understand if he asked to be traded, given the type of player he is and what he leaves on the ice the team around him has rarely lived up to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Klinkhammer View Post
Do you guys think SFY talks to the players to find out about the coaching? Does he ask Vinny and Marty and Stammer what they think of Guy? I would have to assume yes. I would also have to assume they wouldn't say anything bad about Guy.
Vinny, Marty and Stammer are key parts of the team I would assume yes.

To go with the coaching thing, can anyone else see Marty taking up coaching once he retires as a player? Just from the way he is always handing out advice to the rookies (how often do you see him chatting with Killorn/Conacher etc this season/Stamkos regularly since he broke into the league) to the chats to Boucher and the way he seems to set the on ice tempo screams coach to me.

bassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 08:51 PM
HoseEmDown

If he does ask for a trade hopefully it's to Columbus so we can get their 1st and draft Jones and either Drouin/MacKinnon.

HoseEmDown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 09:50 PM
IdealisticSniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoseEmDown View Post
If he does ask for a trade hopefully it's to Columbus so we can get their 1st and draft Jones and either Drouin/MacKinnon.
Lol yes in sure it will be to Columbus. Makes the most sense.

IdealisticSniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 09:59 PM
MattM92

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealisticSniper View Post
Lol yes in sure it will be to Columbus. Makes the most sense.
Are they not contenders?

MattM92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 10:21 PM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattM92 View Post
Are they not contenders?
They're on a hot streak, anything's possible!

However, all their draft picks will be mid to late first round (Rangers and Kings have been under performing but could go far in the post-season a la the Kings last year). If Columbus continues to win with their crap roster, they'll just end up screwing themselves with their pick.

The Wyzerhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 04:00 AM
garmonbozia

I don't think he asks to be traded, nor that he will be traded.

You can't get fair value in return, you can only hope you get something with high enough potential to maybe some day contribute a quarter of what Marty will be able to over the rest of his contract...if we're lucky.

He's not part of the problem. He is an integral part of the solution. If you need to move Marty to build a contender you're doing it wrong. The idea of Yzerman honoring some request to go play for a 'real' contender spits in the face of the very vision he must maintain a confidence in. Why is he going to admit he's unable to build a contender around Stamkos and St.Louis?

garmonbozia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 06:49 AM
Maelmoor

Send a message via MSN to Maelmoor
Since he already won the cup I don't think he is as urgent as guys who got one last chance to win it.

03-11-2013, 09:50 AM
Steve Yzerman
A New Season Begins

I don't see him moving - he has become a clear part of the organization. Whenever anyone thinks of Tampa Bay Lightning, they think of Stamkos, St. Louis, and Lecavalier. I think he retires with TBL and gets a job into the organization from the day he retires.

Steve Yzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 05:05 PM
Stamkos Intolerant
Here comes the $$$

Marty wouldn't give up on this team. He knows what is going on in the locker-room and on the ice more than us. It's not like Yzerman hasn't done anything to make this team competitive. I wouldn't be angry at him if he did request a trade, he's done more than enough for this city and franchise.

Stamkos Intolerant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 05:07 PM
Sky04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelmoor View Post
Since he already won the cup I don't think he is as urgent as guys who got one last chance to win it.
No it's not urgent, but the guy will get tired of spending his last few years out of the playoffs, Tampa is a gong show right now.

If he asks for a trade I definitely would not hold it against him and I highly doubt his image will be effected at all.

Sky04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 05:11 PM
Mr Underhill

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky04 View Post
No it's not urgent, but the guy will get tired of spending his last few years out of the playoffs, Tampa is a gong show right now.

If he asks for a trade I definitely would not hold it against him and I highly doubt his image will be effected at all.
Exactly.

Mr Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote