HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Wild owner speaks of post-lockout business and more

Old
03-13-2013, 05:21 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

vCash: 500
Wild owner speaks of post-lockout business and more

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nhl/stor...hl-realignment

Quote:
"We didn't really know what to expect coming out of the lockout, but I'm happy to tell you that the fan support has been nothing short of incredible. … Our business is as good as it's ever been," said Leipold while speaking at the Saint Paul Area Chamber of Commerce's monthly member meeting on Wednesday.
— Ticket sales are "as high as they can possibly be," Leipold said, noting that the Wild's average crowd is exceeding Xcel Energy Center's capacity. (The team ranks 12th in the NHL with average attendance of 18,569, up from from 17,772 last season.)

— The Wild's merchandise sales rank among the top five NHL teams.

— The club has sold more than 2,500 Zach Parise jerseys since he signed with the club on July 4. The previous high for an individual player during an entire season was approximately 530 for Cal Clutterbuck in 2010-11.

— Food and beverage sales are the highest they've been.

— TV ratings are "absolutely out of sight," Leipold said, noting that the season opener set a franchise record.

— Online traffic at wild.com is up 200 percent and generated more hits than any other team on the day the lockout ended.

— The NHL's planned realignment, which will move the Wild from the Northwest Division to the new Midwest Division, will save the club between $800,000 and $1 million in annual travel expenses.

—Leipold says the Wild expects to see a Winter Classic outdoor game played in Minnesota, and "see it very soon." If and when it does happen, he says NBC will probably lead the decision on whether the game would be played at Target Field or TCF Bank Stadium.

— The Wild continue to lobby at the state Capitol for a new practice facility across the street from Xcel Energy Center, and Leipold believes the proposal is starting to gain traction.

$800k-$1m in travel savings is significant.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 05:25 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_...cup?source=rss

102% attendance

Quote:
The lockout cost the Wild about $17 million. To turn a profit this season, Leipold said, the team needs extra gate revenue from a deep playoff run, which teams do not have to share with the players. But he insisted the long-term stability from the new collective bargaining agreement, plus an improved, in-demand product, should offset short-term losses.
Leopold not concerned with Falcone (owns 39% of team) with issues he's fighting through SEC. "He's still a good partner."

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 05:28 PM
Dado

vCash:
2500 Parise jerseys...is that a typical number for NHL jersey sales? Seems really low....?

As a frame of reference, I read somewhere that 300,000(!) Beckham jerseys were sold when he moved his past-prime self to MLS. Think i also read somewhere that they sell well over 1 million Messi jerseys every year.

Old
03-13-2013, 05:39 PM
tsanuri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
2500 Parise jerseys...is that a typical number for NHL jersey sales? Seems really low....?

As a frame of reference, I read somewhere that 300,000(!) Beckham jerseys were sold when he moved his past-prime self to MLS. Think i also read somewhere that they sell well over 1 million Messi jerseys every year.
I'm thinking that is the number that they sold in their own store. And it could only include the ones that they already made up and not those that were bought and customized by them. And they wouldn't have numbers on blank jerseys that others went and did themselves.

tsanuri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 06:46 PM
Acesolid
The Illusive Bettman

That's great news, but honestly the big new players and the high hopes for the Wild this year can also help explain the big numbers.

However, if we look league wide, we can see that thankfully it doesn't look like the lockout hurt much at all.

Acesolid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 06:55 PM
njdevil26
I hate avocados

Lockout didn't hurt at all in New Jersey. It's not like Devils fans were sitting around twiddling their thumbs. There's the Yankees, Mets, Nets, Knicks, Giants, Jets, and Red Bulls to keep us occupied.

Devils have had 13 home games and sold out 11 of them.

njdevil26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 06:56 PM
Realm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsanuri View Post
I'm thinking that is the number that they sold in their own store. And it could only include the ones that they already made up and not those that were bought and customized by them. And they wouldn't have numbers on blank jerseys that others went and did themselves.
That is correct, like they said before the highest was Clutterbuck with 600 jersey's in 2010-11, obviously just an in arena seller. You can include me for that one, but that is because I had a free $200 to spend in the store for having season tickets that year.

Realm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 07:00 PM
njdevil26
I hate avocados

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realm View Post
That is correct, like they said before the highest was Clutterbuck with 600 jersey's in 2010-11, obviously just an in arena seller. You can include me for that one, but that is because I had a free $200 to spend in the store for having season tickets that year.
Oh sweet something nice the team does for you that the Devils would never think of doing. Very nice!

njdevil26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 11:06 PM
aemoreira1981

On the issue of travel expenses, I wonder if teams in the current Atlantic may see travel costs go up, since they will have to now fly for division games not in Pittsburgh. (As an example, the Rangers take buses to Devils and Islanders games, and trains to Flyers games.)

aemoreira1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 11:25 PM
danishh

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by aemoreira1981 View Post
On the issue of travel expenses, I wonder if teams in the current Atlantic may see travel costs go up, since they will have to now fly for division games not in Pittsburgh. (As an example, the Rangers take buses to Devils and Islanders games, and trains to Flyers games.)
DC is still do-able by train i think (3.5-4hrs), but they'd probably fly because the cost savings arnt worth the 'travel day'.
carolina and columbus need to be flown.

overall, i guess yeah, travel costs go up a bit for them.

the bigger factor is probably having to visit each of the western conference teams now.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 11:46 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
http://aol.sportingnews.com/nhl/stor...hl-realignment

Quote:
The Wild continue to lobby at the state Capitol for a new practice facility across the street from Xcel Energy Center, and Leipold believes the proposal is starting to gain traction.

So more corporate welfare. Why does a team hauling in as much money as the Wild do need the government to build them a practice facility?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_...cup?source=rss

102% attendance

The lockout cost the Wild about $17 million. To turn a profit this season, Leipold said, the team needs extra gate revenue from a deep playoff run, which teams do not have to share with the players. But he insisted the long-term stability from the new collective bargaining agreement, plus an improved, in-demand product, should offset short-term losses.
Really? How much did they "save" in not having to pay players during that time?

Also-- did Leipold say that or is that just incredibly ignorant on the part of the writer? Playoff reciepts, last time I checked, are considered hockey-related revenue-- unless it's ice dancing out there.

Edit: Adding for Franchise Sales notes:
Quote:
In April 2008, Leipold and minority owner Phil Falcone purchased a 95 percent stake in the franchise, which founding owner Bob Naegele Jr. sold for $225 million.
Falcone, who owns about 39 percent of the Wild, has denied any wrongdoing in court filings and is fighting the SEC's lawsuit in New York.
So the franchise was valuated at roughly $237 MM; and Falcone came up with 41% of the $225 MM. Who has the remaining 5%?

Fugu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 02:03 AM
Killion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
So the franchise was valuated at roughly $237 MM; and Falcone came up with 41% of the $225 MM. Who has the remaining 5%?
11 Limited Partners.... who receive cash calls from Craig fairly frequently. $10M or so just last November, during a Lockout. As for Phil Falcone, seems he forgot to set aside money to pay his taxes in 09, "borrowing" about a hundred million dollars from a gated Hedge Fund that he'd somehow managed to get control of, seriously upsetting investors, the SEC.

Then some crazy deal with a company called MAAX, a tile manufacturing company, Phil buying up all their paper then re-selling it back to himself so that at one point he was trading more Bonds to himself as both vendor & purchaser than actually existed; pumping up the value artificially before dumping them back into the market, value sinking like a wounded U-Boat to the very bottom of the Mariana Trench.... more depth charges raining down from the SEC & so on.

Back in 2011 the HockeyNews printed a story, a pretty solid rumour actually, that Falcone had in fact lent Leipold money to purchase the Wild. THN had to retract it and printed an apology upon threat of legal action. Just what exactly the status is of the split between minority holders Falcone & the rest of them is unclear as he (Falcone) was rumoured to have sold portions to the investors as he needed the equity, the cash back to pay back the loans, pay for lawyers, fines etc, at one time even reported he wanted out of Minnesota ownership altogether.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 02:53 AM
MartysBetterThanYou

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
DC is still do-able by train i think (3.5-4hrs), but they'd probably fly because the cost savings arnt worth the 'travel day'.
carolina and columbus need to be flown.

overall, i guess yeah, travel costs go up a bit for them.

the bigger factor is probably having to visit each of the western conference teams now.
DC's only an extra hour or two by train compared to Philly and Union Station is much closer to the hotels/Verizon Center than National or Dulles. I am going to assume NYR/NJD (and maybe NYI though their proximity to JFK and somewhat-long distance to an Amtrak station makes short distance plane travel more attractive for them) will be chartering trains to DC. Philly might train it to DC too. For downtown-to-downtown travel in the Northeast, Amtrak is better than flying hands-down.

MartysBetterThanYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 03:03 AM
Wingsfan2965*

Did Leipold talk about how he outbid other profitable teams for Parise and Suter, then hardballed in the lockout because his team wasn't making enough money, and now gets more money in revenue sharing from the profitable teams he outbid who now pay for his player's contracts?

Wingsfan2965* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 03:33 AM
RedWinger10

Hey Leipold, have fun with the salary cap drop off next season. How's the Parise Suter deal looking to you now? Hahah

RedWinger10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 04:02 AM
No Team Needed

Quote:

Futbol is the most popular sport in the world.

No Team Needed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 07:05 AM
Pilky01

Does it really matter what any owner says? We know how the game is played. Everything is beautiful...until the CBA expires. At that point, it will be revealed that everything is actually horrible and he's about to go bankrupt.

Pilky01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 08:30 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

vCash: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post
Futbol is the most popular sport in the world.
And their jerseys are 50% cheaper.

It's discouraging to see an owner bragging about his huge profit margins, and then a reference to public subsidy in the next breath. If he wants a new practice facility, what's wrong with taking out a loan?

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 09:07 AM
Pilky01

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
And their jerseys are 50% cheaper.

It's discouraging to see an owner bragging about his huge profit margins, and then a reference to public subsidy in the next breath. If he wants a new practice facility, what's wrong with taking out a loan?
Frankly, I find the pricing on soccer shirts to be even more egregious than the pricing on hockey sweaters. At least with hockey sweaters there is some weight to them, and there are some nice big embroidered logos, and stitched numbers and names.

A soccer shirt is just a light, thin, piece of cloth with a sponsors logo ironed on, a small patch on the chest, and maybe some nylon numbers glued to the back. And they still try and charge about $100 for them.

They're both a complete rip off, but the soccer shirt thing I just find is simply outrageous.

Old
03-14-2013, 10:57 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilky01 View Post
Frankly, I find the pricing on soccer shirts to be even more egregious than the pricing on hockey sweaters. At least with hockey sweaters there is some weight to them, and there are some nice big embroidered logos, and stitched numbers and names.

A soccer shirt is just a light, thin, piece of cloth with a sponsors logo ironed on, a small patch on the chest, and maybe some nylon numbers glued to the back. And they still try and charge about $100 for them.

They're both a complete rip off, but the soccer shirt thing I just find is simply outrageous.
And people still try to argue that NHL jerseys will be cheaper if they have sponsor logos on them.

Old
03-14-2013, 11:01 AM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 117
Quote:

Well Messi is arguably the greatest player to ever play the most popular sport on the planet.

One would think the popularity of arguably the Wild's best player will be signifcantly lower.

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 11:04 AM
Pilky01

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
And people still try to argue that NHL jerseys will be cheaper if they have sponsor logos on them.

Yep. I love when people try to argue that putting more money in the owners pockets will help reduce the costs to fans.

Ah...to be young and naive.

Old
03-14-2013, 12:07 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
One would think the popularity of arguably the Wild's best player will be signifcantly lower.
Well, of course! I was just a little surprised by the size of the multiplier.

Old
03-14-2013, 12:22 PM
IceAce
Strait Trippin'

vCash: 13477
Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevil26 View Post
Lockout didn't hurt at all in New Jersey. It's not like Devils fans were sitting around twiddling their thumbs. There's the Yankees, Mets, Nets, Knicks, Giants, Jets, and Red Bulls to keep us occupied.

Devils have had 13 home games and sold out 11 of them.
Uh, you get 24 home games instead of 41 this year. The lockout hurt the Devils and every other team because they get 17 less home dates. Your disposable income getting spent on other local sports franchises is exactly what hurts the NHL teams.

IceAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 12:25 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Well, of course! I was just a little surprised by the size of the multiplier.
I would have thought that the NHL sold more jerseys. But I suppose it does kind of make sense when you consider what the data really represents, and that the market for authentic jerseys really isn't that huge even among hardcore fans. I only own one Hurricanes jersey myself, and wouldn't really consider buying another until the current one gets worn down.