HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Realignment Offical. 16 Teams East, 14 West.

Old
03-07-2013, 08:54 PM
Pyromaniac3

vCash: 500
HBO 24/7 will be good.

Pyromaniac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 08:55 PM
Duffman955

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanese Leaf View Post
This ****ing sucks for us. By far the hardest division. Like perennially hard division, regardless of generation. I don't know how anyone can see this as positive for the Leafs.
Exactly, you basically have to be top 10 team in the league just have a chance at making the playoffs.

Duffman955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 11:26 PM
The Big D

Can anyone tell me why flipping Columbus or Detroit for Winnipeg and calling it a day isn't good enough? Sure Detroit is in the eastern time zone, but not by much, they geographically fit better with Chicago St. Louis Minnesota Nashville Winnipeg Columbus even Dallas. I don't like disrupting what seems to be a working system to appease to teams, one of them a nothing franchise.

The Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 11:34 PM
Donato
#BarSouth

so wait .. is it top 8 teams in the conference make it ?

edit.. kinda confusing, but i kind of get it now..

its worse odds than we have now..

Last edited by Donato: 03-07-2013 at 11:42 PM.
Donato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 11:35 PM
Cor
OT Thread Leader

vCash: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big D View Post
Can anyone tell me why flipping Columbus or Detroit for Winnipeg and calling it a day isn't good enough? Sure Detroit is in the eastern time zone, but not by much, they geographically fit better with Chicago St. Louis Minnesota Nashville Winnipeg Columbus even Dallas. I don't like disrupting what seems to be a working system to appease to teams, one of them a nothing franchise.
You know Detroit is the 2nd closest city to Toronto after Buffalo right? (cities that have NHL teams)

Cor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 11:39 PM
calcal798

Datsyuk is going to suck to play against.

calcal798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 12:55 AM
MoeMoney

The hardest division is this one: Carolina, Columbus, New Jersey, N.Y. Islanders, N.Y. Rangers, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Washington.

Columbus will never make the playoffs, lol.

All I care about is Detroit-Toronto 8 times a year, that is going to be very fun, the next big rivarly in the NHL. The games in Detroit will be packed with Leafs fans, 3.5 hour drive, cheap tickets, hell yeah.

MoeMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 12:56 AM
MoeMoney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromaniac3 View Post
HBO 24/7 will be good.
I don't think the Leafs-Wings are getting the Winter Classic next year which totally sucks.

Old
03-08-2013, 12:57 AM
Duffman955

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeMoney View Post
The hardest division is this one: Carolina, Columbus, New Jersey, N.Y. Islanders, N.Y. Rangers, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Washington.

Columbus will never make the playoffs, lol.

All I care about is Detroit-Toronto 8 times a year, that is going to be very fun, the next big rivarly in the NHL. The games in Detroit will be packed with Leafs fans, 3.5 hour drive, cheap tickets, hell yeah.
Detroit is to wussy of a team to have a rivalry. Rather have one with bruins or just continue pounding smurfs

Old
03-08-2013, 12:59 AM
Stephen

Columbus in the Atlantic Division just goes to show how the NHL is looking out for those Tri-State area clubs so they won't have to fly down to Florida. What a joke.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 12:59 AM
Sergei Berezin
You're Wrong

Quote:
I don't think the Leafs-Wings are getting the Winter Classic next year which totally sucks.
Why do you say that?

I'm pretty sure it was all but announced a month ago?

Sergei Berezin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 01:04 AM
Stephen

Quote:
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL.../20326491.html

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...reportedly-set

Stop thinking, it's still on...

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 01:04 AM
7even
Go on, do your duty

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big D View Post
Subtly sets the league up for an expansion to 32 teams in what I would assume to be Seattle and maybe KC/Las Vegas/somewhere else.

7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 01:05 AM
jughead42*

I don't care what anybody says about it being more difficult to make the playoffs now, who cares? The goal was never to make the playoffs in my mind at least, the goal was to win the cup. If we aren't good enough to get into the playoffs in our 16 team conference then we probably aren't good enough to win the cup anyway. Having Detroit back in our division is going to be so special, especially since that franchise is going to fall sooner tn later. Datsyuk and Zetterberg aren't going to play forever, and they are already a shell of their former glory with the retirement of Lidstrom. For all the hoopla about what a great organization they are and how awesome they are at developing NHL players, I don't see any replacements from within for those guys. Even their ability to lure free agents isn't what it used to be, and it's not going to get any better as their old team winds down. Screw the wings, I'm tired of hearing how good they are at everything. I want to kick their butts and kick them out of the playoffs, and that can happen now.

jughead42* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 01:09 AM
Kyle Doobas*

vCash: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by jughead42 View Post
I don't care what anybody says about it being more difficult to make the playoffs now, who cares?
All this means to me is that there's going to be that much more pressure on management to improve the team.

Kyle Doobas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 01:11 AM
MoeMoney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I don't know that article is from November and it had no details or confirmation from anyone it was sill happening. A few weeks ago on Hockey Hot Stove, Elliot Freedman said the League was looking at two Winter Classics next year in Yankee Stadium and Dodger Stadium.

Edit: nevermind, didn't read the second article.

Old
03-08-2013, 01:17 AM
LeafsGuru93
me & Dave Ellett

agreed. Why do we get all the hard teams in our division yearly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanese Leaf View Post
That division will be a yearly nightmare just for us to make the playoffs. I don't see why so many of you are so happy with this.

It's not how they died that made them heroes, it's how they lived, putting others safety 1st, each & every day. Thanks Toronto police for keeping us safe. -RIP Sgt. Ryan Russell, Const. Garrett Styles.
LeafsGuru93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 01:39 AM
Duffman955

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Stallone View Post
All this means to me is that there's going to be that much more pressure on management to improve the team.
Well when you haven't made playoffs in a decade, its not encouraging to look at that division

Old
03-08-2013, 01:42 AM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbs View Post
Welcome back to relevance, Detroit.

THey are coming back just in time to suck.

charliolemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 03:09 AM
AvroArrow
#CaptainMorgan

16 - 14 is kinda weird. Gonna be harder to get a playoff spot in the East, but at least its not too much of a difference just one team. Overall I like the realignment, playing detroit now is gonna be pretty awesome to see.

AvroArrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 03:26 AM
HappyGilmourr
#FireShapiro

Detroit, Boston, Ottawa and Montreal look like they could be playoff locks for a long time... Maybe one of Montreal or Ottawa will fall out and Toronto or Buffalo will make it in. Maybe Tampa Bay. Point is... playoffs are going to be damn hard to come by now... I hate not seeing the leafs in the playoffs... I'm kind of pissed but whatever.

HappyGilmourr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 07:09 AM
DatsyukianDeke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jughead42 View Post
I don't care what anybody says about it being more difficult to make the playoffs now, who cares? The goal was never to make the playoffs in my mind at least, the goal was to win the cup. If we aren't good enough to get into the playoffs in our 16 team conference then we probably aren't good enough to win the cup anyway. Having Detroit back in our division is going to be so special, especially since that franchise is going to fall sooner tn later. Datsyuk and Zetterberg aren't going to play forever, and they are already a shell of their former glory with the retirement of Lidstrom. For all the hoopla about what a great organization they are and how awesome they are at developing NHL players, I don't see any replacements from within for those guys. Even their ability to lure free agents isn't what it used to be, and it's not going to get any better as their old team winds down. Screw the wings, I'm tired of hearing how good they are at everything. I want to kick their butts and kick them out of the playoffs, and that can happen now.
You seem very envious. They are a great team and I can't wait to watch them and Toronto clash again. At least I won't have to go to Detroit every year to see them now. Toronto and Bruins are the only teams in that division that I think Detroit would have a hard time against. They are fast, big and have good goaltending.

DatsyukianDeke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 07:32 AM
Yosho
Logic

Quote:
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6...id=DL|NHL|home

Yosho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 08:00 AM
Ari91

I'm torn. I'm excited about Detroit being back in the division but I'm not excited about how much harder this format will be for the Leafs to make playoffs. Adapt or be slaughtered I guess. I just hope to God that the Leafs go with the former and not the latter.

It's incredibly stupid that they put Tampa and Florida in the NE division. They have to pass an entire division just to play games in their own division. How does that make sense? The SE teams closest to the NE should have been put in the new NE division which would mean Carolina and Washington while Tampa/Florida goes to the new Atlantic division.

And what is the format for the games? How will they be split up?

Ari91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 08:24 AM
Pilky01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman955 View Post
Exactly, you basically have to be top 10 team in the league just have a chance at making the playoffs.
So, your train of thought here is that the Leafs will never be a top 10 team?

If that is the case, then who cares what division we are in at all?! If the team is always going to suck (as you are implying), then it makes no difference what division were in.

What a defeatist attitude.

Pilky01 is offline   Reply With Quote