HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cole's Plus/Minus: What...was that? Pens vs. Flyers

Closed Thread

Old
03-08-2013, 12:12 PM
SUBdrewgANS
born into trouble

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SUBdrewgANS
+ Last minute decision to go to this game.. dropped $200 on 2 tickets..
- Immediately regretted going after that 1st period (Shots at the end of 1 was 18-4 Philly)
+ Seeing all the flyer fans that were saying that the flyers are a much better team than the penguins and then witnessing them all crawl back into their holes and only come out to blame the refs for the loss and to chant Crosby Sucks.
+ Watching an epic come back.

Old
03-08-2013, 12:20 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
http://video.flyers.nhl.com/videocen...ed-share-video

Claude, Tom Hanks would like a word with you.

Yeah, Giroux crying was quite funny to see. Technically not crying but you could see the marks on his face. Makes their chants about "Crybaby Crosby" hilarious.

Old
03-08-2013, 12:21 PM
HotCoffey

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
A mean streak implies it's just part of his usual game and, more often than not, helps him be as effective as he is. That's not the case here. He runs around and takes dumb penalties. That's the extent of it and it's not a good thing. It wouldn't be as glaring an issue if he were doing more when not scoring but he isn't, at least not nearly as much as he's capable of. His penalties are very much a reason they have not won certain games or had a tougher time than they should have.
His first penalty was questionable at best, the Hartnell thing was atrocious on the refs for letting Hartnell skate towards him coming from the box and ended up in a PP for us. I'd say getting outshot 18-4 in a single period and being unreliable on D is a bigger reason we were losing as opposed to an offensive minded forward taking a penalty.

Old
03-08-2013, 12:25 PM
plaidchuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotCoffey View Post
His first penalty was questionable at best, the Hartnell thing was atrocious on the refs for letting Hartnell skate towards him coming from the box and ended up in a PP for us. I'd say getting outshot 18-4 in a single period and being unreliable on D is a bigger reason we were losing as opposed to an offensive minded forward taking a penalty.
I'm not as big of a basher as some people are on Neal but he shouldn't be playing the pest role when they play the Flyers...

Old
03-08-2013, 12:32 PM
PensFan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidchuck View Post
I'm not as big of a basher as some people are on Neal but he shouldn't be playing the pest role when they play the Flyers...
I wouldn't say he was being a pest. He pushed Giroux after he let go of the puck, and tried to pry the puck loose after Bryz stopped it (not to mention standing up for himself vs Hartnell). Things that happen on a regular basis in every NHL game.

Old
03-08-2013, 12:41 PM
NastyNick

Old
03-08-2013, 12:49 PM
NastyNick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragamuffin Gunner View Post
Don't bother, he's prolly the biggest MAF hater on these boards.

MAF wasn't great last night but to hand TV the starting job (again) after one game is a bit premature to say the least.
My dislike for Fleury took a long time to get too. I use to be a big fan. Just like everyone else here i use to blindly defend him against fans around the league. With nothing to back it up, but i was devoted.

The Montreal series was a bit of an eye opener, but i figure the team was due for a let-down after 2 straight finals appearance. Crosby and Malkin weren't spectacular either.

The Tampa series shocked me. I know we didn't have the big guns, but going up 3-1 and losing like that.. being outplayed by Dwayne friggin Roloson.. that was when i started to have doubts. He was terrible for stretches in the regular season too.

Then the Flyer series. That was the moment that i decided i was not on team Fleury any more. That series proved that this team cannot score enough goals to make up for his lapses. He did not have the consistency nor the mental capacity to hold it together in the NHL playoffs anymore. It proved that the team, because of its blind devotion to this guy, had a long painful journey ahead as it tried to move past him. They are literally handcuffed.. and i resent that. Vokoun might have not been the right guy, but at least they tried. He was the best option available for the price they could pay.

FWIW I didn't just start disliking Fleury yesterday. It actually took me a lot longer to come the same conclusion that every other expert around the league has drawn with Fleury. Hes not an elite goalie.

Old
03-08-2013, 12:56 PM
Dying Alive
Not a man, man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Yeah, Giroux crying was quite funny to see. Technically not crying but you could see the marks on his face. Makes their chants about "Crybaby Crosby" hilarious.
I'm sure when Giroux cries it's a manly cry.

Old
03-08-2013, 01:07 PM
Pghkev
Soixante-six

I'm sick of how everyone must all agree on things on this board. FYI, Kennedy is a very solid third line wing. Neal's play was fine, the pim against Giroux was a terrible call. Fleury has been good this year.

Old
03-08-2013, 01:11 PM
TheSniper26
No cure for being...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragamuffin Gunner View Post
Don't bother, he's prolly the biggest MAF hater on these boards.

MAF wasn't great last night but to hand TV the starting job (again) after one game is a bit premature to say the least.
Agreed. I've been critical of Fleury, but he's been very good so far this season and one game doesn't change that. If this becomes a trend or if it's an issue in the playoffs again, then that's different. But for now, I'm happy with the way he's played for the most part. Every goalie has the occasional off night.

Old
03-08-2013, 01:12 PM
spcastlemagic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyNick View Post
Claude your tears taste so sweet Claude!

Old
03-08-2013, 01:13 PM
plaidchuck

So it's obvious Vitale needs to be in from now on for faceoffs alone, Pens got torched last night which led to 2-3 goals.

Old
03-08-2013, 01:15 PM
Jag68Sid87

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidchuck View Post
So it's obvious Vitale needs to be in from now on for faceoffs alone, Pens got torched last night which led to 2-3 goals.
Not at the expense of Jeffrey. I like what Jeffrey brings to the team. His versatility is nice on a fourth line.

Old
03-08-2013, 01:17 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins

vCash: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
Not at the expense of Jeffrey. I like what Jeffrey brings to the team. His versatility is nice on a fourth line.
It shouldn't be Jeffrey or Vitale switching spots. Really, it should be either Tanner Glass or Craig Adams. They're the exact same player, with the exact same flaws. No need to have both guys playing.

A fourth line of Jeffrey/Vitale/Adams would actually have a bit of offensive punch, while still being solid defensively. The only thing it would lose would be the physicality Glass brings over Jeffrey. But really, that should be offset by the improved puck possession of that line.

Old
03-08-2013, 01:29 PM
Sour Shoes
lol u mad cam?

roo crying bro?

Old
03-08-2013, 01:31 PM
plaidchuck

Also the PK needs to improve right quick and in a hurry..

Old
03-08-2013, 01:39 PM
NeedleInTheHay

This team really needs a nasty stay at home d man to clear the front of the net, if that requires trading Niskanen to get it, so be it.

Old
03-08-2013, 01:40 PM
Bengui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Crying ? He's just sweating leadership.

Old
03-08-2013, 01:48 PM
Puckie09

Quote:
Mind if I use that for my avatar?

Old
03-08-2013, 02:01 PM
vodeni

need to chime in on Kunitz. He is a different player, the majority of his goals were basically carbon copy Neal's goals, when he picks the spot and buries the puck. He is much more confdent in his shot, not looking to pass to Sid at every occasion as he used to do, but he still kept some of that sand paper that he had while playing with Geno although he has become more of a sniper with Duper doing more of a dirty work and Sid focusing on two way game and setting him up more than scoring or shooting himself.

And this is he way he is playing now. When Sid was at 50% at the beginning of the season and Koon was also battling some sicknes he was terrible, so that was what this board for the most part acknowledged. I still think he should not be on PP at least not as a net presence, he could play up higher to use his newly discovered skill positioning for a good one timer.

Old
03-08-2013, 02:02 PM
Sour Shoes
lol u mad cam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo sad bro View Post
Mind if I use that for my avatar?
i implore you to do this.

Old
03-08-2013, 02:14 PM
Puckie09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sour Shoes View Post
i implore you to do this.
Done...hope you don't mind NastyNick

Old
03-08-2013, 02:25 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFan68 View Post
I wouldn't say he was being a pest. He pushed Giroux after he let go of the puck, and tried to pry the puck loose after Bryz stopped it (not to mention standing up for himself vs Hartnell). Things that happen on a regular basis in every NHL game.
I agree the Bryz one was tacky but it's not one single play. He's taken 8-10 clear cut selfish, pointless penalties this year amongst others.

Old
03-08-2013, 02:32 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:

I knew that was coming.

Old
03-08-2013, 02:39 PM
MtlPenFan