HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cole's Plus/Minus: What...was that? Pens vs. Flyers

Closed Thread

Old
03-07-2013, 09:04 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
Tee-hee!!!

+ The AT&T commercials where the kids are just rambling on with the adult rep just nodding his head. ****ing hilarious.
very solid. nothing beats the basketball player blocking everything though. epic

Old
canadianguy77

+ DB for changing tactics after the 1st. I was getting so sick of the passive forecheck that he always seems to employ when playing the Floppers. You can't give those guys time and space. And we finally supported our D on the boards when trying to get out of the zone.

+ Crosby. Pretty much unstoppable right now.

- Neal. Does Hartnell invade his dreams at night?

-Engelland. I don't know if he's injured, but he has been garbage for awhile now. Would have liked to see Despres instead of him.

Old
Tender Rip
#Haz supa line mates

Not a single one here commenting on Brooks-Martin's defense even strength. Really? Massive plus to them. The PK in the first period was an abomination and they had a share, but the most important thing was that it was PASSIVE PK, giving all the room in the world not only in front of the cage, but just as much so to the forwards and blueliners. Even strength however, Brooks and Martin showed why they have been relied on as heavily as they have. +++

+++Crosby/Kunitz/Dupuis. Fabulous game except for Crosby being dominated on key faceoffs in the defensive zone. He more than made up for it of course.
+ Malkin/Beau. Looked really good out there.
+ Sutter, Cookie, Kennedy. Strong game. Extra props to Kennedy, not just for the goal, but also for some 'effort plays' and desperation. He looked like a man fighting for his roster space tonight.
++ Kris Letang. Big game from 58 at both sides of the rink.
+ Vokoun. Stood strong when needed in the third, after being carried as a passenger in the second.
+ Bylsma. Whatever he said during the first intermission. Won't fault him for Neal being an idiot tonight, but I will fault him on our PK being a wet dream for Philly, again.

- Fleury. Bad game.
- Neal. Stupid penalties and several lazy/soft plays on the wall where he refused to take hits to keep it deep. Not good enough.
- Glass. Looks worthless out there.
- Jeffrey. IMO just doesn't have what it takes desperation, skating or toughness wise to play 4C. If he is to be 4th liner, I would much prefer him playing Vitale's wing instead of Glass to make the 4th line a bit more of a weapon - Jeffrey Geno/Sid Vitale would be a decent weapon on occasion.
= Mark Eaton. He didn't hurt us tonight, but his outlet passes and mobility will be issues for us. Going forward I will be sick if Despres' sits to have Eaton play.
= Adams. One of the worst culpritts in having our 1st period PK be as passive and "Giroux watching" as it was. Saw the same when Flyers had a PP in the third. Good effort 5 on 5 though.
= Niskanen and Engelland. Niskanen suffers the tough Flyers forwards more than any other Pens defender. Engelland was solid enough defensively, but I would have really liked if he was setting the tone a little with some physicality. That should be part of his job description, and I hardly saw any of that.

Signature win, hopefully. Now get Despres in there also and get the PK sorted. This was really important - good on the lads.

Old
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
tonight was a rough one. I wonder if he realized he is just better off playing disengaged than taking stupid penalties. Not that its a good excuse...

The good news is that he can still score a goal in such a bad game
I'm not even talking about the penalties for Neal. I'm talking about his compete level. It's ****. Geno spent more time in the offensive zone this game than he has all season, and it's pretty clear that it was for two reasons:

1. Apparently, his head was concussed on straight, because his compete level the last two games has been unreal.

2. Beau-ner. I'm not kidding about that. That kid took more brutal hits to make plays and just made more nifty little plays than I've seen from any one of Geno's linemates all year. As I said in the GDT, what Dangles did tonight is what you wish Neal would be doing out there. That one play where he had a choice-- take a hit from Schenn in the offensive zone to make a play or get out of the way-- was embarrassing. Neal just got out of the way . . . the result was the 3 on 2 against where a half dead Bennett somehow got back to get a stick on Sideshow Bob's shot.

Old
03-07-2013, 09:05 PM
dogthateats

beau bennett for selke

Old
03-07-2013, 09:05 PM
TorstenFrings
Co-Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SludgeFactory View Post
+ the taste of flyers fans tears. mmmmmmmmmm
Giroux tears are my favorite and they are flowing plentyful tonight. YUM!

Old
03-07-2013, 09:06 PM
ShatteredGlass
Formerly Andy412

+ BEAU-tiful win
+ Comeback. The team realized they're better than Philly and outworked them before it was too late
+ Sidney Crosby for being the best. Simple
+ Kunitz. Everyone already summed it up

- Everything about the 1st Period
- Fleury
- Scratching Vitale/Despres
- Faceoff woes

Old
Dinfire

Gutty win by the Pens there. Would have got the monkey off their backs if it weren't for Fleury's follies. Seriously, do you start that guy against the Flyers in the playoffs?

Old
alcanalz
whys and wherefores

vCash: 560
He didn't step over the puck to avoid the hit, he stepped over it to take it on the other side away from the defenceman. Didn't work as the winger came down to help but it wasn't a bad idea... obviously didn't work though.

Old
KIRK

Oh ****, before I forget again:

+ Geno trolling Talbot

Old
03-07-2013, 09:07 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

NHL Network used the Philly feed for review. With every goal I'm pretty sure their announcers died a little more. That last one he was almost in tears.

Old
SaturdayNightSlegr

+++Mark Eaton went on a rush "behind enemy lines" for that one shift in the 2nd. He got blown up on two hits but was able to somehow keep the puck in the zone. It led to a goal.

-The Flyers are mediocre. They are as their record shows - a 10th seed. This year and last playoffs we beat ourselves with terrible goaltending, abysmal pking, and stupid penalties.

Old
Tasty Biscuits
with fancy sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidTheKid8787 View Post
I thought Jeffrey had his strongest game tonight as well.
Don't worry, he'll sit for Vitale. Can't scratch Adams, who was useless tonight.

Old
bathroomSTAAL
The halcyon days

Need a YT of Giroux tears STAT

Old
03-07-2013, 09:08 PM
alcanalz
whys and wherefores

vCash: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinfire View Post
Gutty win by the Pens there. Would have got the monkey off their backs if it weren't for Fleury's follies. Seriously, do you start that guy against the Flyers in the playoffs?
Did you watch the last time Vokoun started against Philly?

One bad period on the season, let's throw MAF off of a bridge.

Old
MtlPenFan

I put Giroux tears in my protein shake.

Old
SludgeFactory

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorstenFrings View Post
Giroux tears are my favorite and they are flowing plentyful tonight. YUM!

Old
IcedCapp
Yummy and Delicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
NHL Network used the Philly feed for review. With every goal I'm pretty sure their announcers died a little more. That last one he was almost in tears.
They were so obviously biased, too.

Listen to the Penguins 2nd goal again. They've had the puck in the Flyers zone the entire period. The 1st line is cycling them to death. Sid makes a beautiful play leading to a goal.

"Crosby. To Dupuis

goal"

Old
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathroomSTAAL View Post
Need a YT of Giroux tears STAT
Agreed I need to see it

Old
shureshot66
Global Moderator

Guys, don't pull posts from the Flyers board and bring them over here. Just leave 'em be.

Old
03-07-2013, 09:09 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasty Biscuits View Post
Don't worry, he'll sit for Vitale. Can't scratch Adams, who was useless tonight.
Agree on Adams. But this team needs Vitale's faceoffs more than anything Jeffrey brings. Both should be in though.

Old
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
Dude, one of my favorite hobbies with Gamecenter after beating a rival, is to watch every goal again with THEIR announcers. It's pure gold!!!

Old
ericfg

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFan68 View Post
Bennett is great. His scoring will come. Love seeing him in the corners and coming back on D. He needs to be able to control passes though. What's with the puck bouncing right off his stick all the time? He's tough with the puck, but seems to have such a hard time getting it.
Not that I know doodlysquat about playing hockey....but my guess would be the passes at the NHL level are faster &/or crisper than what he's seen down on the farm and he's just a bit overloaded right now adjusting to the bigs. If he's got good hands the feel for those passes will come. If he doesn't then...

+ Always a great day when Filthy goes down. Especially delightful when they blow a three puck lead in their own barn.

Old
bradshaw06

if giroux was really crying i never want to hear about crysby again.

Old
gordie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinfire View Post
Will the Flyers even be in the playoffs is the question. After that first period debacle at least they got the win but without defensive grit added to the blueline, this team is going to have serious problems come playoffs.

Closed Thread