HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers Lose 3-0. Watching Paint dry

Closed Thread

Old
03-08-2013, 12:47 AM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
this team is rotten to the core...from Katz on down

Katz doesn't have the balls to fire his buddy Lowe so Lowe will kep on truckin unfortunately

Tambo should/will get the axe once this team finishes bottom 5 and they need a representative of the Oilers to show up for TSN's draft lottery show

better not see Tambo's mug there
Can you imagine seeing Tambos smile/smirk at the draft lottery again?

Good lord...what an absolute joke that would be.

What is there to say about the great savior Katz?
Somebody should tell him that changing the uniforms to the glory days colors is not enough to to recreate the glory days.

Old
03-08-2013, 12:51 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
Tambos incompetence has been hidden under the guise of patience. Honestly though it really does surprise me that more people cant seem to see through the veil and admit what the real problem is.

The man does NOTHING to put together a roster that has any chance to develop and grow into a competitive team...NOTHING. And yet he still has a job?
Frightening indeed!

I mean does Katz even remotely care about the product that will be showcased in his newly gifted building? If he did Tambo and Lowe would be out of a job.

I am glad I haven't contributed a penny to this s**t show for 2 years now. This future result was evident enough for me back then.

Katz has a new toy and gets to play with his heroes. Screw the product.
Yup. Tambellini's incompetence is ridiculously apparent. Three. Three first overall picks and he's failed to surround them with anything even remotely resembling an NHL hockey team. He's ruining them. John Tavares' situation isn't much better on Long Island but there are some, some actual NHLers on that hockey team to help him along.

Old
03-08-2013, 12:59 AM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Yup. Tambellini's incompetence is ridiculously apparent. Three. Three first overall picks and he's failed to surround them with anything even remotely resembling an NHL hockey team. He's ruining them. John Tavares' situation isn't much better on Long Island but there are some, some actual NHLers on that hockey team to help him along.
Man...as a long, long time Oiler fan this is truly very sad to witness.

Oiler fans and the once proud tradition of this team deserves much better than this.

Old
03-08-2013, 01:03 AM
Slatsmsg

This rebuild was required. The organization, and the fans, knew this. We reserved ourselves to the fact there were going to be some tough years. We have endured and held fast to the optimism of brighter days ahead with the expectations of incremental improvement season after season.

Everyone here, I would suggest, felt that this season would be different, that a playoff position was within the grasp of his team. This season, though bleak tonight, is not lost YET. With the western conference being so close in terms of points, a good run of games and these boys could still get there.

That being said, there are some truths that need to be brought to light with intellectual honesty.

Devan Dubnyk, even though he has shown some marked improvement in many respects, is not capable of being a number one goalie in this league with the defence in front of him that we have.

The organizations philosophy of asset accumulation is meaningless without proper use of those assets which includes trades to improve the team despite having to give up some of those assets that may make the organization, and fan base, uncomfortable.

Our defence can be addressed through proper asset management (see above).

Tambellini has all the talent of Maggie the Monkey. Not that I blame him solely. Kevin Lowe must shoulder a fair amount of the responsibility here. There are many posters n these boards that think Brian Burke is the way to go and I don't disagree. I think about the many post games that Burke did in TO and the outright lack of tolerance he displayed for his teams efforts. Where is Tambellini doing these interviews? Where is Lowe? No we get to see Krueger apologetically discussing the result, we need to do this better, we need to do that better....

The Oil Change needs a culture change where losing is unacceptable not part of the process! I get the feeling if I went into Katz's pharmacies and got served the wrong prescriptions that someone would be held accountable for the outcome! Why is it any different here?

I don't blame Krueger for being what he is, he's a players coach. He was hired knowing this. When Sather ran this team, and coached, he called players out for crap efforts. I still remember him and Coffey going at it in the media.

The fix:

Fire Lowe and Tambo, bring in Burke. Let him assume both roles.

Have Burke address the media and fans, hold these guys accountable!

Demote Krueger to special teams coach and hire a coach that will not baby these guys. You need to get them uncomfortable with a healthy dose of fear. I don't think Lindy is the right guy for this group. How about Larry Robinson? He served under Jacques Lemaire and played for Bowman. He understands how to win and the commitment it takes.

We will not keep all these young players forever. Hall, Ebs, RNH need to stay. One of Yak or Hemmer can be moved. Gags can move only if the return, regardless of the combination of the deal brings us a sizeable center with top 6 skill.

Marincin has played great in OKC, bring him up to take Whitney or Potter's minutes.

Get an Esa Tikkanen, Kenny Linesman type, an agitator who drives opponents nuts and can play.

This is where I stop for now, open for dialogue.

Old
03-08-2013, 01:10 AM
deep44

dudes... maybe im to sensitive ... but after being positive for so long, defending these guys for so long...watching this team and there absolute lack effort every game is heart breaking... it is so disappointing...and people who know me on this boards know .. that i don't be negative and i would pain me to say this.. but this team is a laughing stock at this point...

Old
03-08-2013, 01:14 AM
flashy
Fire Tambellini.

vCash: 360
Quote:
Last year at Christmas Tambo said he expected the Oilers to make the playoffs. The team finished 29th overall.

Tambos solution for the next season....add 2 rookies and a 6/7 dman. Yeah...that ought to do it. That should make the team more competitive.

This year at the halfway mark (approx) the Oilers sit 2 points out of 30th.

The results and Tambos expectations couldn't be further apart.

How much further evidence is required to illustrate that this man does not have the first clue about how to rebuild a hockey team?
Hey would you know where that Christmas video is, I'd like to see it.

Old
03-08-2013, 01:33 AM
McSomnii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdeol44 View Post
dudes... maybe im to sensitive ... but after being positive for so long, defending these guys for so long...watching this team and there absolute lack effort every game is heart breaking... it is so disappointing...and people who know me on this boards know .. that i don't be negative and i would pain me to say this.. but this team is a laughing stock at this point...
From a fellow optimist, totally understand where you're coming from.

Thanks to a late lecture, I only managed to catch the last 5 or so minutes of the 3rd period; if I had known that the Oilers were going to play as flat as they did (and judging from the comments in the GDT, they only played semi-decently in the 1st period), I wouldn't have bothered rushing home to catch the end of the game.

I find myself at a loss when it comes to this team. I only really started watching hockey back in 2009, and I find this year's team to be at least as disappointing as the 2009 Oilers team; this undoubtedly hinges on increased expectations on my part, but even then, I was only expecting a moderate improvement, something like a 12th place finish in the Western Conference. The way they've been playing of late, the Oilers might not even make it that high up in the standings.

I see a lot of posters here advocating a clean-sweep of upper management; maybe there's a kernel of truth to be found there. After all, plenty of players have moved on, and the Oilers have gone through several coaches in rapid succession, and yet success continues to elude the Oilers.

Old
03-08-2013, 01:40 AM
nexttothemoon
light.end.tunnel

Just looked at the final scores for the last 18 Oilers games. Only 5 times in those 18 games did they tally 3+ goals. They won 4 out of those 5 games.

13 of those 18 games they tallied 2 or less. They only won 1 of those 13.

Simple fact of the matter is that the offense isn't there. Can't blame the goalies when they are getting pelted with the most shots against in the entire NHL and your offense sucks. Every single mistake a goalie makes costs the team because there is literally zero margin for error in almost every game.

Old
03-08-2013, 01:40 AM
Everest

Not sure the reasoning behind it...but...RK started slipping Yakupov extra minutes on Gagners line after Magnus had started the game with that line.

The 1rst period...things seemed "ok" but not long after we got carried away with Yakupov's icetime....we were down 2-0.

It's no coincidence.

DET isn't the place you want to you with extra shifts for your 19 year old rookie.

Magnus was the winger I thought looked most "ready" tonight. He's been our best player the last couple games.

He should've played full time top 6. Yak should've been full time 4rth line for the entire night.

Old
03-08-2013, 01:49 AM
KarmaPolice
Antics

vCash: 8069
Send a message via MSN to KarmaPolice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insta View Post
Here come the Oilers!
Look out last place! Here we come!

Wow, so it looks like another 29th or 30th place.

30th
30th
29th
29th/30th

Great job Lowe and Tambs

Oh boy, what a sad sack of crap running the show. Inredibly sad.

Old
03-08-2013, 01:53 AM
bleed_oil

Quote:

Somebody should tell him that changing the uniforms to the glory days colors is not enough to to recreate the glory days.
Dear god no. Seriously, I know exactly that look you are talking about. Where he realizes he is getting a #1 and gets interviewed by the TSN panel like he has made some sort of brilliant managed decision to aquire said pick. Its like in some sort of bizarro world the man is achieving something by building one of professional sports epic failures of a franchise.

Old
03-08-2013, 01:59 AM
bleed_oil

Quote:
Man...as a long, long time Oiler fan this is truly very sad to witness.

Oiler fans and the once proud tradition of this team deserves much better than this.
the more things change the more they stay the same.

Reminds me of the late 90's when Slats would built that dynamite young team around Dougie Weight, Bill Guerin, Smytty, Grier, Marchant, BoBo Mironov, Roman Hamrlik....
The team was well built and designed, but the resources were'nt there to keep it togeather.
Here we are probably around 15 years later and resources are no longer a limitation and we cant do a damn thing...

Old
03-08-2013, 02:02 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleed_oil View Post
the more things change the more they stay the same.

Reminds me of the late 90's when Slats would built that dynamite young team around Dougie Weight, Bill Guerin, Smytty, Grier, Marchant, BoBo Mironov, Roman Hamrlik....
The team was well built and designed, but the resources were'nt there to keep it togeather.
Here we are probably around 15 years later and resources are no longer a limitation and we cant do a damn thing...
And don't forget how long it only took for Slats to build a competitive hockey club with limited resources. Three seasons. In 1993 we were garbage and in 1996 Todd Marchant was scoring an OT goal in the playoffs to upset the heavily favoured Dallas Stars.

We're three first overall picks into this... re-build, poised for another top three pick, and the club has never looked worse.

Old
03-08-2013, 02:07 AM
bleed_oil

Quote:
And don't forget how long it only took for Slats to build a competitive hockey club with limited resources. Three seasons. In 1993 we were garbage and in 1996 Todd Marchant was scoring an OT goal in the playoffs to upset the heavily favoured Dallas Stars.

We're three first overall picks into this... re-build, poised for another top three pick, and the club has never looked worse.
Forget 2 overall picks dude. I look at Gags is draft year... 2007, 6 years.
We picked 6th overall in that draft. That was a pretty damn high pick.
Team like Philly could rebuild in a year, maybe 2 tops.
Here we are languishing 7 years later.
But if you dont change the system, whats the point? Its all the same characters in charge, they just cleaned house by firing all the old Oilers trainers and equipment guys LOL. That was supposed to change the culture. Seriously?

Old
03-08-2013, 02:08 AM
nexttothemoon
light.end.tunnel

Yak bleeds goals against at an Omarkian rate.

I love his offensive potential and I'm one of the biggest Yak backers (I think he's going to score 50 in the NHL in a season to come) but at this point he's certainly a defensive liability.

He has an innate talent to pass to nowhere and has an elite ability to turn a nothing play into a solid offensive chance for the opposition. I'm sure he'd lead the team in assists if you counted his mistakes that lead to opposing teams goals.

Saying all that... it's simply growing pains and he's gotta make those mistakes either here on the Oilers or in Junior. I don't think he learns much more in Junior. He needs to be in the AHL honestly but not possible for his age... so the mistakes are going to happen where they unfortunately matter the most... in the Oilers lineup.

He certainly looks like a goat some nights but he also has been a hero at times... more goat than hero so far though... again to be expected.

You want him to get better? Play him more. Give him the rope to hang himself. Then talk to him and show him how to fix those errors. I'm hoping that's happening with the coaching dissecting his positional and passing errors.

I'm not averse to seeing him rotate all through the lineup at this stage. Some 4th line time wouldn't be the end of the world in a speedy energy role. He just might be freakily good in a spot with Eager and Brown being the bangers and making space for him on that line.

Certainly would be one hell of a speedy and unpredictable line.

Basically use him in all areas and give him a taste of all roles. Sit him in the pressbox as well for a game or two. No harm in him watching from above. No player should be immune from sitting out... goes for the 1st/2nd line core players as well.

Old
03-08-2013, 02:15 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleed_oil View Post
Forget 2 overall picks dude. I look at Gags is draft year... 2007, 6 years.
We picked 6th overall in that draft. That was a pretty damn high pick.
Team like Philly could rebuild in a year, maybe 2 tops.
Here we are languishing 7 years later.
But if you dont change the system, whats the point? Its all the same characters in charge, they just cleaned house by firing all the old Oilers trainers and equipment guys LOL. That was supposed to change the culture. Seriously?
It's Ottawa, Montreal and Toronto's improvements that have annoyed me the most...

And like I mentioned a few days ago, Montreal's ownership saw a culture problem developing last year so in the summer they tore it all down. New GM, new Coach etc. Andrei Markov, a couple of hot shot rookies and a new attitude/swagger later and they're 1st in the East.

Old
03-08-2013, 02:15 AM
April McEthereal
5-14-6-1

vCash: 407
So I take it playing video games was indeed the better option tonight?

Old
03-08-2013, 02:55 AM
bleed_oil

Quote:
It's Ottawa, Montreal and Toronto's improvements that have annoyed me the most...

And like I mentioned a few days ago, Montreal's ownership saw a culture problem developing last year so in the summer they tore it all down. New GM, new Coach etc. Andrei Markov, a couple of hot shot rookies and a new attitude/swagger later and they're 1st in the East.
Well the Oilers franchise has never been known for bold moves I supposed. We should expect no differently now.

Old
03-08-2013, 02:55 AM
KarmaPolice
Antics

vCash: 8069
Send a message via MSN to KarmaPolice
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOilRising View Post
So I take it playing video games was indeed the better option tonight?
Watching grass grow was the better option.

Old
03-08-2013, 03:48 AM
Bergeron47

vCash: 966
Quote:

Jesus if I was Tambo I would never show my face on that lottery show again. I can't imagine the feeling of embarrassment.

Though with the new lottery system I don't think TSN can do that show anymore. Each, and only, the 5 GMs on the show could have been selecting 1st overall. Unless they plan on bringing in all 14 GMs, the show just wouldn't work

Old
03-08-2013, 05:32 AM
waffen

I'm new to this but I've noticed after watching these 20 some odd games in a row.. I havn't missed a single moment and one thing is ALWAYS evident..

why do all our opponents get WIDE OPEN looks in the slot AGAIN and AGAIN..

and we NEVER DO..??

Old
03-08-2013, 05:39 AM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffen View Post
I'm new to this
I always admire a man who can jump on the bandwagon at the bottom. Welcome.
Quote:
but I've noticed after watching these 20 some odd games in a row.. I havn't missed a single moment and one thing is ALWAYS evident..
why do all our opponents get WIDE OPEN looks in the slot AGAIN and AGAIN..

and we NEVER DO..??
I think it has something to do with the number of actual NHL defencemen on the Oilers compared with the number employed by most other teams.

Old
03-08-2013, 07:05 AM
LaGu

I just want to ask an open question to anyone here who has a better idea than I do about what we are doing really, or maybe about hockey in general.

How do we play the game? Is there a game plan and in that case what is it based on; are we building the team around certain players or on a system? Do we trust talent to win the games for us (we certainly have that)? Is it based on puck possession?

I honestly can't figure out if there is a game plan and the players are just not able to follow through on it, or if it is the lack of a clear system that makes us **** up more often than not...

Either way I am moving more and more in the direction that we can't trade our way out of this mess. Player for player this may not be an elite team but it is sure as **** not a team that should fall on its face every second game (or more).

For example, during the last couple of seasons we've seen both WSH and NJD go through tough periods where they didn't seem to be able to win anything at all. At the same time, watching their games you could clearly see that they were working on a new system, a new game plan, and by sticking with it they managed to master it and turn things around in the end. That said, maybe it's more difficult to do this kind of thing when you have to work with such a young core as we have, but I just can't see any indication on what we're trying to do.

I don't pretend to understand what the right medicine is but I would just like some clear answers to why we keep on playing like this year after year...

Old
03-08-2013, 07:07 AM
Wheathead
Formally a McRib

Send a message via ICQ to Wheathead
They'll probably need to take a look at their pro scouts, too.

Old
03-08-2013, 08:04 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 3251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobs View Post
They'll probably need to take a look at their pro scouts, too.
They don't exactly make all that many additions to blame the pro scouts.

Closed Thread