HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Kessel?

View Poll Results: Should Phil Kessel be traded?
Yes 194 51.60%
No 182 48.40%
Voters: 376. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-08-2013, 12:31 AM
Defense

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by black charger View Post
Kessel is and always has been a cherry picker.Wilson let him get away with it and that's what has padded his stats.

Carlyle is trying to stop him that's why his production is down.

When has kessel blocked a shot or took a hit.He lets everyone else do the work and waits around for a pass.He's open alot because he stays away from the play while the work is being done.

Playing against top defenders is about as lame as an excuse as they come.The whole idea of being on the top line is that you are good enough to overcome the opponents best players.

Trade him!!!
So your saying we don't need offensive forwards? Kessel is 2nd on the team in scoring, where do we look to replace his goals? Some players are just skilled and meant to do the scoring while others line mates and defense back them up.

Saying to trade Kessel, is like wanting to trade a defensive dman because he puts up zero points and sucks offensively. Or heck trading Gardiner because he is only better offensively then he is defensively.

Defense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 12:35 AM
The Beyonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Chosen_One View Post
Sounds sort of like Teemu Selannne! If Randy was so black-and-white, I don't see why he was on the cup winning squad. There is a reason why he is forty plus and playing.

You can't like Gilmour or as careless as Lindros for long. Both would fit quite well in Randy's system. Too bad, the primary scoring was the rather soft Teemu - the Finnish lightning - Selanne.
Did you just compare Teemu to Philip?

Teemu has heart and compete. Phil does not. I don't think you need to play like Lindros or Dougie, but the way Phil played tonight, and most nights, is inexcusable. You have to compete and not be afraid to get hit to the point where you're a determent to your team; this is hockey FFS.

The Beyonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 12:36 AM
Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beyonder View Post
I don't think Caps do Rielly and a 1st anyways. They'll probably set with Ovi and wait for him to bounce back, and if their selling him, it's going to be really high price, and I don't think we would be willing to give up the price.
Yeah he is the face of that hockey club. But sometimes its time for a player to move on if his play reclines. If he asks for a trade, i think it could be done, or if Nonis called them up with them knowing they are out of a playoff spot and maybe taking a new direction with one of Jones, MacKinnon or Drouin, I'm sure they'd consider a package of quality futures, and getting rid of that lengthy contract.

Old
03-08-2013, 12:36 AM
morrielly

vCash: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defense View Post
Both Richards right? Wasn't it reported Flyers wanted Schenn and Kulemin for Mike Richards? Anyways your right, every player rumoured available and every free agent lands at Pearson airport for beginning of training camp....

Either way, the big trades are the trades nobody expects. We got Phanuef... probably not a good time to bring him up after tonights loss, but still we picked up a top pairing D-man for scraps.

Perry would be great but what do we do when we miss out on the Perry sweepstakes?
i swear every other post is "trade him for a young star centre and then just sign perry !"
and then they go on to give the lineup

morrielly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 12:37 AM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Both Richards right? Wasn't it reported Flyers wanted Schenn and Kulemin for Mike Richards? Anyways your right, every player rumoured available and every free agent lands at Pearson airport for beginning of training camp....

Either way, the big trades are the trades nobody expects. We got Phanuef... probably not a good time to bring him up after tonights loss, but still we picked up a top pairing D-man for scraps.

Perry would be great but what do we do when we miss out on the Perry sweepstakes?
While I love perry and would LOVE to have him I see no issue with Kessel JVR, Lupul Horton, or Clarkson, asour wingers in the top 6

JVR/Lupul ? Kessel

JVR/Lupul Kadri, Clarkson/Horton eitheway wing looks great to me

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 12:41 AM
pucci2001

I said no the the poll but that doesn't mean I would never trade him.
I would definitely package him and Gardiner and our first(maybe more) for a guy like Malkin, maybe that is a deal we could look at next year since Kessel and Malkin are both needing to be resigned.
We should spend as much as it takes to get Perry this off season if he comes available, that would make Kessel a little easier to part with or they would just be an amazing line since Perry brings what Kessel doesn't to the table.

That being said Kessel is amazing but we have so much untapped potential playing him with Bozak only...last year he was brilliant with Lupul I think we are missing out on his true potential by not having someone that compliments what he is capable of. Kid is young and a real threat every time he gets the puck on the opponents end, people need to admit that, he is an elite talent though not as well rounded as we would like, I would say he is Pat Kane-esque except this season he is shying away from the net a lot more than he was last year.

pucci2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 12:41 AM
Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
While I love perry and would LOVE to have him I see no issue with Kessel JVR, Lupul Horton, or Clarkson, asour wingers in the top 6

JVR/Lupul ? Kessel

JVR/Lupul Kadri, Clarkson/Horton eitheway wing looks great to me
Yeah glad we got some optimism here. We got a nice looking depth chart with JVR, Lupul, Kadri, Frattin, Kessel, Bozak, Grabovski, Kulemin, MacArthur, McClements, Komarov, who all can play in the top 9 and 2 of our top scorers are out and its very noticeable. Lupul and Frattin play hard nosed hockey.

Old
03-08-2013, 12:42 AM
Kyle Doobas*
#groovystats

vCash: 159
Quote:
Wasn't it reported Flyers wanted Schenn and Kulemin for Mike Richards?
IIRC it was Kadri + Kulemin

Kyle Doobas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 12:45 AM
ponder

No, I don't want to trade him, not unless we could get at least a Bobby Ryan level player back, which wouldn't happen. Kessel has A LOT of major flaws, he's arguably the softest player in the league, but he also has some incredible strengths. I do think that he'll eventually put it together, toughen up a bit, and start to have an actual star level impact on the game, instead of star level offense, but a fairly "meh" positive impact due to his soft play. Basically, his potential is too high to give up on, especially when the return for him would probably be very disappointing given that he becomes a UFA in 2014.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 12:46 AM
Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Stallone View Post
IIRC it was Kadri + Kulemin
Thanks. Glad we didn't make that trade. But we did end up making a deal with the Flyers, JVR for Schenn and it has been a win-win trade for both teams. A good hockey trade.

That said it would be stupid to trade Kessel, who would we replace him with on the right wing...

Old
03-08-2013, 12:54 AM
jughead42*

Everyone is excited by Cory Perry, but he's putting up pretty much the same numbers as Kessel is right now for what that's worth.

jughead42* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 12:54 AM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Yeah glad we got some optimism here. We got a nice looking depth chart with JVR, Lupul, Kadri, Frattin, Kessel, Bozak, Grabovski, Kulemin, MacArthur, McClements, Komarov, who all can play in the top 9 and 2 of our top scorers are out and its very noticeable. Lupul and Frattin play hard nosed hockey.
I don't think Mac will be back myself that is why I see us going after a Clarkson, Clowe or Horton, type I also think Kuli could dealt but if you can add a Clarkson, or Horton, or Clowe you almost don't need them cause you'd have Kessel Lupul JVR, Clarkson/Horton/Clowe, Frattin, McClements who plays C and wing. We got some nice parts now we gotta augment what we got.

Old
03-08-2013, 12:56 AM
The_Chosen_One

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beyonder View Post
Did you just compare Teemu to Philip?

Teemu has heart and compete. Phil does not. I don't think you need to play like Lindros or Dougie, but the way Phil played tonight, and most nights, is inexcusable. You have to compete and not be afraid to get hit to the point where you're a determent to your team; this is hockey FFS.
Seriously? You don't think Phil has no heart. It's obvious that people don't remember the high-scoring pre-lockout NHL. Seems like Selanne won the Selke consecutively or something.

The fact is that he was a premier goal scorer. That was his role when he represented the world. In fact, even during his 96 peak, I don't remember him starting on West in the All Star games. He did when representing the world vs North America, but for obvious reasons.

I am not knocking Selanne. He is elite. I just don't see why we're giving him attributes that isn't part of his game. He is very similar to Kessel, another very elite player. In fact, Kessel looks like a rather capable playmaker as well despite being in league where points have significantly deflated.

The_Chosen_One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 01:00 AM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jughead42 View Post
Everyone is excited by Cory Perry, but he's putting up pretty much the same numbers as Kessel is right now for what that's worth.
worth nothing

Old
03-08-2013, 01:09 AM
Squiffy
Victims, rn't we all

Good lord no, I can count on one hand I imagine the number of players Phil's age that can put up 50 goals. What Phil needs is a centre so he can stop being our best player (short perhaps of Dion) and comfortably dominate the secondary role he's made for.

R.I.P. Darryl buddy... it was too soon.. too soon
Squiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 01:15 AM
KPower

We lost,

The world is ending,

Trade whoever played bad.

This place is hilarious.

KPower is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 01:16 AM
The_Chosen_One

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
worth nothing
And last season Kessel out produced the guy. That year was when level of parity increased drastically.

I understand Perry is a huge guy. He's nasty, but he's been criticized for not skating hard before by Randy.Trading Kessel for him doesn't solve anything.

Sign him in the upcoming free agency. That would be something that I'd heavily support.

The_Chosen_One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 01:44 AM
Terrence

vCash: 1026
Typically, good teams try to re-sign their best players. Craziness, I know.

Terrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 01:52 AM
Defense

Mhm lets not trade Kessel...

As i posted in the trade sticky thread

What players helped cup winning teams... they include

Horton, Hossa, Richards, Carter... heck a Kaberle trade happened not like he helped the B's or anything. But blockbuster trades and big ticket free agent signings are made to add those final pieces to try and win the cup.

Trading Kessel creates a hole. Why not bolster our roster with more forward depth... who can we add to

Kessel
Lupul
Kadri
Bozak
Frattin
JVR
Grabovski
Kulemin
MacArthur

Who comes in who goes out?

Old
03-08-2013, 02:05 AM
AvroArrow

Depends on the return. Can't really answer this question properly without knowing what we get back. Whether were getting a player of equal skill level, worse, better, depth players, picks all factor in.

AvroArrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 02:06 AM
SmoggyTwinkles

Wow, long thread.

What would Kessel do in playoffs for us? Would he man up a bit? I could see it happening.

I'm definitely scared about his next contract though. Hate the idea of trading him considering what we gave up. At the same time, it's not in our hands (obviously) and if Nonis decided to trade him, you'd have to assume they did some contract talk and Nonis didn't like the numbers he saw.

Right now I say don't trade Kessel, but being honest with myself I think i'd be relieved if he were traded even for high picks etc. if he's gonna be getting $7m into his 30's. I just question the guys long term dedication to becoming a better player. He seems to break down mentally pretty easily, just think to him saying him and Ron don't talk much and maybe it's time for a change etc. I'm pretty sure he was begging for an out.

SmoggyTwinkles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 02:13 AM
legendinblue
Trust in Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DionPhaneuf3 View Post
Depends on the return. Can't really answer this question properly without knowing what we get back. Whether were getting a player of equal skill level, worse, better, depth players, picks all factor in.
Yep. I'm not opposed to trading him for the right return.

legendinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 02:27 AM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Mhm lets not trade Kessel...

As i posted in the trade sticky thread

What players helped cup winning teams... they include

Horton, Hossa, Richards, Carter... heck a Kaberle trade happened not like he helped the B's or anything. But blockbuster trades and big ticket free agent signings are made to add those final pieces to try and win the cup.

Trading Kessel creates a hole. Why not bolster our roster with more forward depth... who can we add to

Kessel
Lupul
Kadri
Bozak
Frattin
JVR
Grabovski
Kulemin
MacArthur

Who comes in who goes out?

Mac goes, Bozak NEEDS to go I have never liked him, Kuli is traded

Mac and Kuli are replaced on wing maybe

JVR ? Kessel

Lupul Kadri, Horton, /Clarkson

Frattin, Grabovski Ryder

Komarov McClements Maclern

Is it realistic? Hard to say depends on what Ryder wants but I do feel if he hits UFA we have a great shot at Clarkson.

Old
03-08-2013, 02:28 AM
William Hylander
There can be only 1

vCash: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneBone03 View Post
Here are a couple of videos depicting why I have a bit of comtempt for Kessel as of late:

Giveaway on Gionta's empty-net goal against the Habs:

Weak boardplay against the Sens leading to Alfy's goal:

I was actually SO pissed when Alfredsson scored that goal. He's on the boards and is frightened to death someone is going to initiate contact, gives it away, then goes from his wing to the opposite wing chasing Zach Smith.
The worst was today on the first goal. He was afraid to battle for the puck so he just watched the play, let the bruins win it and didn't cover for anyone.

Kessel plays an extremely frustrating game on a team with few quality first liners. You put him into a situation like Boston was the year they traded him, and that is the perfect role. A scoring first liner who doesn't do anything else but put up points. At this point I see a light at the end of the tunnel by trading Kessel and addressing a need like #2 defenseman, closer than the tunnel where we build around him as the best forward on the team.

William Hylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 02:36 AM
Belak Attack
:walrus:

Send a message via MSN to Belak Attack
Yes, let's trade one of our best players just because we can.

If we continuously come to stupid decisions like this, we'll never have a solid team.

Belak Attack is offline   Reply With Quote