HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Kessel?

View Poll Results: Should Phil Kessel be traded?
Yes 194 51.60%
No 182 48.40%
Voters: 376. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-08-2013, 10:47 AM
The Apologist
Where's JVR?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cor99 View Post
1. One play MacArthur made doesn't mean he was noticeable all game. That play didn't need much work, I could have done it. He picked up a loose puck, skated down the ice and made a pass to Kadri.

2. Grabo does do it WAY more then Kessel. If you want to criticize Kessel in the offensive zone, criticize the pull back move he does.

3. Why do I get the feeling you are one of the one's that bashed MacArthur into no end when he was with Grabo and Kulemin earlier in the year, and near the end of last season?

MacArthur is a giveaway master

The Apologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 10:48 AM
slozo

I selected no, since I don't think at this point in his career you'd get fair value for him. He's had his 80 point season, but no team will overpay for him as a franchise player, or one with so many intangibles as to make it worth it to overpay.

THE DEFINITION OF IRONY
Games Played in a Leafs Uniform: 259
Goals Scored in a Leafs Uniform: 105
Points Scored in a Leafs Uniform: 221
Number of "trade Kessel" Threads on HOF Boards Started After a tough/bad loss to the Bruins: 1
Number of "trade Kessel" Threads on HOF Boards during a goal drought / bad game: too many to count

The feeling for fans when Phil the Thrill is finally in the playoffs for the Maple Leafs this spring: Priceless.

For everything else, there's Hall of Fame Boards!

slozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 10:48 AM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

Absolutely yes, With a contract expiring next year and him seemingly not fitting in with our style we might as well get something before we lose him for nothing. JVR provides us what Kessel does anyway for a fraction of the cost and shortcomings.

Woodman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 10:49 AM
TonsofPuppies*

Quote:
1st Video: Doesn't work... good work

TonsofPuppies* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 10:50 AM
The Apologist
Where's JVR?

Quote:
1st Video: Doesn't work... good work

2nd Video: That goal was barely Kessel's fault. He went to clear it, stick hit the boards, and the play went on, it happens several times a game and all around the league, by almost every player. This time it lead to a goal. In fact, that was more Bozak for not covering Alffy.

edit: 1st video started to work, (embarrassing) he tried to bank it off the boards, didn't work. Again, a play you see happen in a lot of games, by a variety of players. If we didn't have an empty net, this is a non issue
First one agreed. He tried to bank it, which he does 50 times a game with great success (many of his goals come that way).
Second one even I threw the remote at the tv.

Old
03-08-2013, 10:52 AM
Cor
OT Thread Leader

vCash: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonsofPuppies View Post
You completely ignored the majority of my post. Reread it. Actually, I'll make it easy for you:
You notice someone because they are in Boston's end?

You are are reaching now, essentially trying to say that MacArthur is better Kessel.

Cor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 10:53 AM
The Apologist
Where's JVR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman19 View Post
Absolutely yes, With a contract expiring next year and him seemingly not fitting in with our style we might as well get something before we lose him for nothing. JVR provides us what Kessel does anyway for a fraction of the cost and shortcomings.
NO he really doesn't. He actually complements Kessel's game. Thanks for playing though

Old
03-08-2013, 10:54 AM
LeafsJaysRaptors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolboss View Post
Kessel has had his bad share of games not just one or two. If we ever make it to the playoff, Kessel will be floating so basically useless. Way too soft of player, he belongs to TML Chess club if anything.
I'd suggest his point-every-game would be useful in the playoffs.

LeafsJaysRaptors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 10:55 AM
The Apologist
Where's JVR?

Quote:

You are are reaching now, essentially trying to say that MacArthur is better Kessel.
Hes been reaching this whole time. Why argue with someone whos whole argument was "Because I say so"

I posted many facts and reasons why you don't trade Kessel earlier in the thread. Still waiting for a legitimate counter argument.

Old
TonsofPuppies*

Quote:

By continuously putting words into my mouth, you're making yourself look bad. I'm saying that MacArthur was far more noticable last night because when he was on the ice, positive things were happening for Toronto, where as when Kessel was on the ice, nothing was happening for Toronto, as is so often the case when we play Boston and I find that unacceptable for someone dubbed "our best player".

Old
The Apologist
Where's JVR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsJaysRaptors View Post
I'd suggest his point-every-game would be useful in the playoffs.
Doesn't count if hes not slamming people into the boards like EVERY OTHER PPG PLAYER DOES

Old
03-08-2013, 10:56 AM
Cor
OT Thread Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Apologist View Post
NO he really doesn't. He actually complements Kessel's game. Thanks for playing though
100% Correct.

Lupul/JVR get so many points with Kessel because they open up room for Kessel. They go into the corners so Kessel (rightfully) doesn't have to and Kessel can get into scoring position.

Old
03-08-2013, 10:57 AM
The Apologist
Where's JVR?

Quote:
100% Correct.

Lupul/JVR get so many points with Kessel because they open up room for Kessel. They go into the corners so Kessel (rightfully) doesn't have to and Kessel can get into scoring position.
Weird how that works eh?

Old
Cor
OT Thread Leader

Quote:
By continuously putting words into my mouth, you're making yourself look bad. I'm saying that MacArthur was far more noticable last night because when he was on the ice, positive things were happening for Toronto, where as when Kessel was on the ice, nothing was happening for Toronto, as is so often the case when we play Boston and I find that unacceptable for someone dubbed "our best player".
So because MacArthur had a good game (better then Kessel), Kessel can't be our best player and we should trade him?

Old
I Like You
Didact is MIA maggot

Quote:
you look bad by yourself, in fact you embarass yourself.

...Anyone remember the turnover Mac did in the last minute. Anybody?

I Like You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 10:58 AM
TonsofPuppies*

Quote:
Doesn't count if hes not slamming people into the boards like EVERY OTHER PPG PLAYER DOES
The number of illiterate people in this thread is staggering. I'll say this once more, for the last time, since I've said it countless times already in this thread and on these boards. Kessel doesn't need to be a physical presence out there. He just has to not puss out when there's a chance someone might bump into him.

Old
03-08-2013, 11:00 AM
The Apologist
Where's JVR?

Quote:
So because MacArthur had a good game (better then Kessel), Kessel can't be our best player and we should trade him?
Did you see the last game, the one where Kessel had three points and MacArthur had none? Glad we didn't trade him then.

Old
03-08-2013, 11:02 AM
The Apologist
Where's JVR?

Quote:
What fact?

Here are some actual facts for you:
Phil Kessel has 20 points this season in 25 games. He currently sits 32nd in League scoring.
Phil Kessel finished 6th in League scoring last year.
Phil Kessel has scored 30 plus goals every season he's been a Leaf
Phil Kessel has a better Gva vs Tka than John Tavares, and is very comparable to many other 'defensive' forwards.
Phil Kessel has never indicated he wants to leave Toronto.
Phil Kessel is a two time all star as a Maple Leaf.
Phil Kessel has 28 Gwg in his career to date, including 2 this season already.
Phil Kessel is PpG for his career in the playoffs.
Phil Kessel is 25.

These are all facts. Given all of the above, I dare you to find me a similar player in the NHL who is apparently on the trading block.
What facts back up your argument?
I say again....

Old
03-08-2013, 11:03 AM
Cor
OT Thread Leader

Quote:
The number of illiterate people in this thread is staggering. I'll say this once more, for the last time, since I've said it countless times already in this thread and on these boards. Kessel doesn't need to be a physical presence out there. He just has to not puss out when there's a chance someone might bump into him.
He doesn't... I showed you a video.

If i felt like it, I could likely find more. And there are more non-big hits he takes not on youtube.

You take one instance and act like he does it all the time

Old
03-08-2013, 11:04 AM
TonsofPuppies*

Quote:
Kessel can't be our best player because he's unable to elevate his game when the going gets tough. I'll tell you one thing and I'm interested to see if you'll agree with this or not:

The Toronto Maple Leafs will never be a successful post season team if Kessel is our best player.

Old
03-08-2013, 11:05 AM
LeafsJaysRaptors

Quote:
Firstly, your posts are not interesting enough for me to go back and read through them, so saying something "countless" times is meaningless to me. Secondly, does the idea that he "pusses" out really affect his overall play? Who really cares about this? I would rather Kessel avoid getting hit certainly.. if he was injured, it would have a terrible impact on the team, because of his offensive production. Are there really that many instances of "taking a hit to make a play" being available to him throughout the games? I mean, seriously? I feel like I'm talking to a staplegun hahah

LeafsJaysRaptors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 11:07 AM
I Like You
Didact is MIA maggot

Mods shut this down please.

I Like You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 11:08 AM
Cor
OT Thread Leader

Quote:
Kessel can't be our best player because he's unable to elevate his game when the going gets tough. I'll tell you one thing and I'm interested to see if you'll agree with this or not:

The Toronto Maple Leafs will never be a successful post season team if Kessel is our best player.
No, but not for the reasons you would like.

I think in order to be successful (which I assume you mean a Stanley Cup) your goalie needs to be your best player.

Old
03-08-2013, 11:08 AM
TonsofPuppies*

Quote:
I say again....
And I say again...

Quote:
Kessel might put up some points. I'm not denying that he's an offensive threat. He has great speed (despite his obesity) and he has an unbelievable wrist shot. His pure offensive capabilities are not the problem. The problem is that 95% of the time, he uses his speed to fly up the wing and uses his wrist shot to fire a puck off the defenders stick/shin pad and up into the screen.

He's also ridiculously soft. Try to name one player in the NHL that's softer than Kessel. Not even Semin is as bad. He pulls off his disappearing act any time we face a big physical team. Since CrazeeEddie is such a stats nerd, pull up Kessel's career points (as a Leaf) against the trio of Boston/NY Rangers/Flyers and tell me what his offensive output is. He pads his stats against the poor teams which overshadows the fact that he's a complete no show more often than not. You can't honestly say it doesn't upset you when you watch Kessel bail on the puck whenever there's an opposing player near it and there's a chance for physical contact. It's disgusting.

Old
03-08-2013, 11:13 AM
TonsofPuppies*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsJaysRaptors View Post
Firstly, your posts are not interesting enough for me to go back and read through them, so saying something "countless" times is meaningless to me. Secondly, does the idea that he "pusses" out really affect his overall play? Who really cares about this? I would rather Kessel avoid getting hit certainly.. if he was injured, it would have a terrible impact on the team, because of his offensive production. Are there really that many instances of "taking a hit to make a play" being available to him throughout the games? I mean, seriously? I feel like I'm talking to a staplegun hahah
Getting hurt is part of the game. It happens. If Kessel has to endure a few bumps and bruises to not look like the biggest b***h in the NHL, I'm fine with that. There have been plenty of times this season where Kessel completely avoided contact with the opposition and gave up the puck because of it. That's not how hockey should be played, at least in North America. Ray Ferraro even called him out for it in that game against the Flyers.