HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Kessel?

View Poll Results: Should Phil Kessel be traded?
Yes 194 51.60%
No 182 48.40%
Voters: 376. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-08-2013, 11:48 AM
Cor
Me Troll? Never

vCash: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonsofPuppies View Post
He slowed down as soon as he saw the Flyers defender racing after the puck with him and then spun away from the player and the puck once he lost the race. Like I said, Ray Ferraro called him out for it and showed it on replay.
Like I said, I would have to watch it. I don't put much stock into what Ray Ferraro says

Cor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 11:49 AM
LeafsJaysRaptors
Rookie User

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cor99 View Post
Like I said, I would have to watch it. I don't put much stock into what Ray Ferraro says
And Getzlaf signs for 8 years.. hahaha

LeafsJaysRaptors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 11:51 AM
BlueBaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLegend28 View Post
I never got how Kessel isnt a fit for this system but Perry is.. Perry has like 14 or 18 hits, Kessel has 7, Perry has like 14 blocked shots, Kessel has 12..

Perrys goals (on a better team) 32-27-50-37
Kessels goals (on a bottom feeder) 36 (boston)-30-32-37

so with the exception of 1 great yr, Kessel has tied or more goals than Perry. Also Kessel is 2 yrs younger (remember when fans wanted prospects?)

So then we come down to the tiebreaker to fans on this forum

Kessel = American
Perry = Canadian

oops, thats why
Nah, most of our HF fans are just trade happy. They want the new shiny toy and overlook the obvious stupidity of trading Kessel. These are the same people who said Kadri is a bust and moan we traded for Kessel instead of drafting Seguin (using psychic hindsight genius) despite Kessel being the superior player and both playing the same position. There are some smart people here and then there are those with the attention span of a fly who think our goalie is a Vezna winner after a shut out and a bust after a 4-2 loss. You just have to consider the source.

BlueBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 11:51 AM
Cor
Me Troll? Never

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsJaysRaptors View Post
And Getzlaf signs for 8 years.. hahaha
I don't get how that affects what I said?

Old
03-08-2013, 11:52 AM
Kibago

Toronto's fetish for hard work over skill is absolutely inexplicable to me. I know it's nice to have 'good old Canadian boys who finish their checks' but I'd rather have star players and be a Cup contender, thanks.

Every player has a hole. Kessel's never going to be a tough power forward. But he racks up points and can break defenses with his moves. If we lost him, we'd miss him.

There are a lot of people on here who shouldn't post after losses.

Kibago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 11:54 AM
LeafsJaysRaptors
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibago View Post
Toronto's fetish for hard work over skill is absolutely inexplicable to me. I know it's nice to have 'good old Canadian boys who finish their checks' but I'd rather have star players and be a Cup contender, thanks.

Every player has a hole. Kessel's never going to be a tough power forward. But he racks up points and can break defenses with his moves. If we lost him, we'd miss him.

Cheers to that haha

Old
03-08-2013, 11:56 AM
egd27
#freethebigpicture

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneBone03 View Post
On two separate occasions I saw Kadri come up the ice on the right side and Chara was there. Kadri went right at him. He's not afraid. He's a ****ing gamer and a beauty.
And on two separate occasions Chara took the puck off of him and the play went back the other way.

I'm not knocking Kadri here, I'm praising Chara.

egd27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 11:57 AM
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibago View Post

Or at all, for that matter.

Diamond Joe Quimby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 11:59 AM
TonsofPuppies*
#ThePriceIsRight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cor99 View Post
Unless you can find the entire game online somewhere, you won't be able to see it. But here are some posts from the GDT:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...359923&page=11

Quote:
Kessel, ugh.
Quote:
Wow, Kessel totally bailed on that.
Quote:
Kessel craps himself at the thought of going into the corner first
Quote:
hahahaha.. ... we all saw that.. typical Kessel.
Quote:
and it leads right to a rush for the Flyers. Need to fight for those possessions.

TonsofPuppies* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 12:03 PM
Rizzy13

Quote:
His defensive game is appalling. When he bailed on the puck for fear a hit against Brian ****ing Gionta, a few games ago leading to the empty netter that capped off his brilliant -4 effort, that stuck with me in a very negative way. He should be embarrassed by his gutless play. Hockey players, like all athletes are generally very competitive people. How he can go into the TD Garden year after year game after game, and get constantly outplayed by Tyler Seguin and embarrassed by 18,000 chanting "Thank You Kessel" shows how completely heartless he is. He is a disgrace not only to the Toronto Maple Leafs, but to the game of hockey itself.
It's a TORONTO VS. BOSTON game, not a Kessel vs. Seguin or Kessel vs. Boston game. Do you even know Leafs record against them? Even if he potted a few against Boston over the past few seasons, it would make no difference, we'd lose anyway and someone would still be talking about trading Kessel.

And how does another team's chant show that a player is a disgrace? Is that even possible?

Understand that it's a team game. Seguin might outplay Kessel every time, but Boston also outplays Toronto badly every time as well. If Boston outplays Toronto badly every time, there's a MUCH higher chance that Seguin will automatically outplay him. When you play a team like Boston whose always at the top, you can't just expect one player to carry the team on your back. You have to play a team game. Phaneuf sucked last night really bad, make a poll about trading him (for the record I like Phaneuf).

Rizzy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 12:06 PM
Cor
Me Troll? Never

Quote:
Unless you can find the entire game online somewhere, you won't be able to see it. But here are some posts from the GDT:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...359923&page=11
Posts in the GDT are useless. Everyone crucifies people if their stick breaks for crying out loud.

Thanks, but like I said, I would have to see it for myself.

It still wouldn't change my opinion. The whole trade Phil Kessel for a 1st and a 2nd because he isn't a defensive juggernaut is an idiotic proposition.

He is easily our best offensive player. He would be on a lot of teams. People say he is on a slump yet he 32nd in league scoring. That shows you it.

People need to get the thought of Kessel's defense out of their head. Focus on how he plays, not on how others play.

Old
03-08-2013, 12:06 PM
TonsofPuppies*
#ThePriceIsRight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzy13 View Post
It's a TORONTO VS. BOSTON game, not a Kessel vs. Seguin or Kessel vs. Boston game. Do you even know Leafs record against them? Even if he potted a few against Boston over the past few seasons, it would make no difference, we'd lose anyway and someone would still be talking about trading Kessel.

And how does another team's chant show that a player is a disgrace? Is that even possible?

Understand that it's a team game. Seguin might outplay Kessel every time, but Boston also outplays Toronto badly every time as well. If Boston outplays Toronto badly every time, there's a MUCH higher chance that Seguin will automatically outplay him. When you play a team like Boston whose always at the top, you can't just expect one player to carry the team on your back. You have to play a team game. Phaneuf sucked last night really bad, make a poll about trading him (for the record I like Phaneuf).
I don't expect him to carry the team on his back. I just expect him to show up.

Old
03-08-2013, 12:07 PM
Platinum Seat Leafs

Phil Kessel to Nashhville Predators for (D) Ryan Ellis + (C) Colin Wilson

Platinum Seat Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 12:08 PM
Rizzy13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman19 View Post
Absolutely yes, With a contract expiring next year and him seemingly not fitting in with our style we might as well get something before we lose him for nothing. JVR provides us what Kessel does anyway for a fraction of the cost and shortcomings.
Yep, that's exactly it. Because JVR can snipe it from the hashmarks consistently just like Kessel. And he can score goals outside of 10-20 feet from the net just like Kessel. Oh wait he can't, he scores all his goals from in and around the net. He can't really do anything Kessel does and Kessel can't score those close to the net rebound goals. Why not just keep them both?

Last edited by Rizzy13: 03-08-2013 at 12:24 PM. Reason: quoted wrong person
Old
03-08-2013, 12:09 PM
Kessely Snipes
Great White North

I say no, as soon we trade him we are looking for a goal scoring winger.

Kessely Snipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 12:13 PM
Rizzy13

Quote:
Kessel can't be our best player because he's unable to elevate his game when the going gets tough. I'll tell you one thing and I'm interested to see if you'll agree with this or not:

The Toronto Maple Leafs will never be a successful post season team if Kessel is our best player.
You haven't even seen us in the playoffs and you're making this assumption. Give the guy and the team a chance. Holy.

Old
03-08-2013, 12:13 PM
MakeTheIronSing

again, this thread is ridiculous

why are we talking about the lack of "physicality" of a 1st line RW

does he not hit enough? who cares, go check out the RW hit leaders and mention someone that is a realistic replacement for phil kessel

does he not block enough shots? he's in the same ball park as perry, giroux, ryan, st louis, read, okposo

does he not steal the puck off players enough? well, he's as good as once again giroux, shaw, kovalchuk, jagr, kassian, brown

does he give the puck up too much? well, just as much as, again giroux, kane, stafford, eberle, alfredsson, erat

this is all nonsense, the grass aint getting much greener here fellas, unless you want a team of komarovs and kulemins on this team, be thankful you have a guy like kessel and move on

MakeTheIronSing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 12:20 PM
Rizzy13

Quote:
I don't expect him to carry the team on his back. I just expect him to show up.
So why don't you just say you want him to show up instead of bringing in a Seguin comparison in a team game AND against a team that Toronto always loses too? While we're on the topic of showing up, tell most of the other Leaf players to show up too against Boston.

Old
03-08-2013, 12:21 PM
JamesVanDreamsdyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
The guy just played his worst game possibly in his time in a Leafs uniform, and you're telling me this isn't a reaction thread? Bull ****.
Each game against boston is progressively the worst game of this career. When we need to him show up, he cowers.

JamesVanDreamsdyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 12:23 PM
Deebo
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MZ335i View Post
Each game against boston is progressively the worst game of this career.

This seems like an unfounded statement.

Deebo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 12:30 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
My argument is what Kessel did last year production wise doesn't make me hard this year, especially considering we finished as the fifth worst team in the league last year. Interestingly enough, the team is doing much better this year with Kessel performing much more poorly than last year, which shows that he doesn't really contribute to either the success or the failure of our team. He's just... there. Not the type of guy you pay upwards of 7M+ per season.

Last year our goalies were **** and we had of ******* of a coach but lets put the blame on Kessel makes perfect sense:he lp:

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 12:31 PM
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALDAL View Post
Phil Kessel to Nashhville Predators for (D) Ryan Ellis + (C) Colin Wilson
Why?

Diamond Joe Quimby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 12:40 PM
TonsofPuppies*
#ThePriceIsRight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzy13 View Post
So why don't you just say you want him to show up instead of bringing in a Seguin comparison in a team game AND against a team that Toronto always loses too? While we're on the topic of showing up, tell most of the other Leaf players to show up too against Boston.
Because, the Seguin comparisons will always be there. It's just the way it is. We have Phil Kessel and because of us having Kessel, they have Tyler Seguin. If Kessel was constantly hot against Boston and we always won, and Seguin was always invisible, would you not gloat about how we won that trade?

Also, It would be nice if Kessel carried the team on his back at least once in awhile. Since so many posters here like to label Kessel "elite", it's what he should do from time to time. The truly elite players in the game carry their teams. Think Crosby, Stamkos, Tavares and Giroux (he has been inconsistent this year and his team has done the same). If Kessel and his agent are expecting a $7M+/yr contract (a type of contact that "elite" players command), then he should perform at that level.

Old
03-08-2013, 12:44 PM
LeafsJaysRaptors
Rookie User

Quote:
Because, the Seguin comparisons will always be there. It's just the way it is. We have Phil Kessel and because of us having Kessel, they have Tyler Seguin. If Kessel was constantly hot against Boston and we always won, and Seguin was always invisible, would you not gloat about how we won that trade?

Also, It would be nice if Kessel carried the team on his back at least once in awhile. Since so many posters here like to label Kessel "elite", it's what he should do from time to time. The truly elite players in the game carry their teams. Think Crosby, Stamkos, Tavares and Giroux (he has been inconsistent this year and his team has done the same).
Who is comparing Kessel with Crosby, Stamkos, Tavares, and Giroux? He's a player that will usually average a point per game, again, that's what he is. He isn't going to carry a team on his back. You're asking an apple to be an orange.

Old
03-08-2013, 12:45 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:

Also, It would be nice if Kessel carried the team on his back at least once in awhile. Since so many posters here like to label Kessel "elite", it's what he should do from time to time. The truly elite players in the game carry their teams. Think Crosby, Stamkos, Tavares and Giroux (he has been inconsistent this year and his team has done the same). If Kessel and his agent are expecting a $7M+/yr contract (a type of contact that "elite" players command), then he should perform at that level.
He carried us against Ottawa with a 3 point

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote