HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Kessel?

View Poll Results: Should Phil Kessel be traded?
Yes 194 51.60%
No 182 48.40%
Voters: 376. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-09-2013, 11:55 AM
roosterman

vCash: 500
yes... if calgary was willing to give up a 1st and 3rd for ROR then i say we trade kessel and something else for calgary's first in 13 and 14

roosterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 12:10 PM
namttebih

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosterman View Post
yes... if calgary was willing to give up a 1st and 3rd for ROR then i say we trade kessel and something else for calgary's first in 13 and 14
Kessel doesn't play center

namttebih is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 12:14 PM
ACC1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosterman View Post
You can bet any amount of money you have that IF Kessel were to be moved it won't be for Picks.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 01:24 PM
black charger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
He certainly creates far more goals than he causes.
He's a - player,means he's on the ice for more goals against than for.Considering he gets no PK time and lots of PP time the numbers are ever worse than the stats show.

black charger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 01:31 PM
black charger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
No way in heck I would trade Kessel except for an overwhelming offer. He is a damn good player and it is very unlikely that we will get a return on him that will be better or equal to what he brings to the team.
And why would that be?

Old
03-09-2013, 01:34 PM
Orbital

Yes!
ANA:Kessel + Kulemin
TOerry

Orbital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 01:36 PM
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by black charger View Post
He's a - player,means he's on the ice for more goals against than for.Considering he gets no PK time and lots of PP time the numbers are ever worse than the stats show.
Special teams goals don't count against +/-, sport. You'd have to add those PP goals to that stat to generate a "net goals produced" number. That means the numbers would be even better than the stats show. Quite the opposite of what you just stated.

Diamond Joe Quimby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 01:41 PM
sangreale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Joe Quimby View Post
Special teams goals don't count against +/-, sport. You'd have to add those PP goals to that stat to generate a "net goals produced" number. That means the numbers would be even better than the stats show. Quite the opposite of what you just stated.
Do you think he changed his stance on Kessel?

sangreale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 01:44 PM
black charger

Quote:
Originally Posted by theIceWookie View Post
What about last year? And the last three years? How many of those players have put up multiple 30 goal seasons with little to no offensive support and led their team in points three years running?

I know Leaf fans are sensational and love "what have you done for me recently" thinking, but you honestly can't be tat ignorant?
if you look up "cherry picker" in the dictionary you will see a picture of Kessel.The definition reads: A term used fro a hockey player that is unwilling to work hard for the betterment of his team.A player that stands away from the play,and lets his teammates do all the work to recover the puck.When said puck is recovered he is in an area of the ice with no other players present.The puck is passed to this player hopefully creating a scoring chance.

This may be a good tactic for scoring goals,but,puts his team in a shorthanded situation quite often.

Wilson allowed Kessel to be a cherry picker and Carlyle won't.That is why his production is way down under Carlyle.
Carlyle must be pulling his hair out watching this guy play.

Old
03-09-2013, 01:51 PM
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by sangreale View Post
Do you think he changed his stance on Kessel?
I don't know...I'm really excited to find out though

Diamond Joe Quimby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 01:51 PM
Thee Implication
Gaaaaary Roberts!

vCash: 50
If we were to trade him, it would almost certainly be to the West no?

Thee Implication is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 01:53 PM
black charger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Joe Quimby View Post
I was not aware ST goals are not counted.Tha stats then speak for themselves.

Old
03-09-2013, 01:54 PM
KPower

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedsToronto View Post
If we were to trade him, it would almost certainly be to the West no?
Why?

Is he going to haunt us the way he does to Boston?

Btw, I don't think we should trade him, his trade value is too low right now.

KPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 03:03 PM
leafspring*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonsofPuppies View Post
It's embarrassing to cheer for a team that has this creampuff on their roster from time to time? Are you not ever embarrassed occasionally by the Leafs' play? Like last year when we lost 7-0 at home to Boston and Seguin had a hat trick? Or when Montreal beat us 5-0 on Mats Sundin Night?
You shouldn't let a couple bad games cloud your judgement i think.

leafspring* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 03:15 PM
leafspring*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
Why don't people want to trade Kessel?

I guess because he puts up points? Why do the points he gets matter at all?

Tell me one thing Kessel is good at besides the points?

Backcheck? He acts like he just has no gas and skates slowly near one of the boards.

Forecheck? Is this a joke? He'll never go after the puck, he wants it on his stick. He's never going to hit somebody...the guys who count the hits probably feel bad for him and just give him a free hit here and there.

Going for the rebound? You're kidding...Kessel shoots the puck and skates right away because he wants no part of trying to get a loose rebound because those tough D's might just drop him to the ice while he's trying to score.

Defense? Yeah, he plays good defense, if we forget what it means.

Board battles? No. Kessel is just too good for that.

Can we face the truth: Kessel's playmaking and sniping aside, he brings NOTHING to the table.

How quickly did the Bruins trade him? They lost a 36 goal scorer...and didn't get any roster player back for him but they still traded him away.

We will get a good return for Kessel because what he does, he does good. He can easily fetch more than Jeff Carter and Staal...

I am hoping Nonis knows that Kessel is not worth giving 8 year deals to...
Don't believe everything you hear! His effort has been superior to previous years he has been here,and i personally think he is trying to do to much this year to fit into Carlyles system.

The fact of the matter is its neither Carlyles fault or Kessels fault things aren't going well on the goal scoring front by Phil to this point. Carlyle hasn't put Kadri with Phil yet,so don't be to quick to write options off.

When Lupul gets back i have a sneaky suspicion Kadri will be centering them. Bozak can not be afforded all these minutes he gets just because he is a decent face-off man.

Kessel has atleast a dozen posts now too. Half of them went in ,and we wouldn't be talking about this right now.

Old
03-09-2013, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbital View Post
Yes!
ANA:Kessel + Kulemin
TOerry
I don't know if I'd go that far. But Kessel + Colborne or a mid-level prospect certainly.

080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 04:22 PM
threeGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafspring View Post
Don't believe everything you hear! His effort has been superior to previous years he has been here,and i personally think he is trying to do to much this year to fit into Carlyles system.

The fact of the matter is its neither Carlyles fault or Kessels fault things aren't going well on the goal scoring front by Phil to this point. Carlyle hasn't put Kadri with Phil yet,so don't be to quick to write options off.

When Lupul gets back i have a sneaky suspicion Kadri will be centering them. Bozak can not be afforded all these minutes he gets just because he is a decent face-off man.

Kessel has atleast a dozen posts now too. Half of them went in ,and we wouldn't be talking about this right now.
carlyle better do this. I wish he would atleast give kadri some time with kessel every few games or so to see what they can do. Right now he doesn't even attempt to put them together so he has no idea if Kadri can handle 1st line duties. Keeping bozak there will just enable bozak to command more money this offseason. Play him 3rd line minutes and the guy can't go asking for 4mil+

threeGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 04:44 PM
will13

A wings fan mentioned on the main board that they would trade Nyquist, filppula, a 2013 1st round pick and a conditional 2nd for him. What would be the consensus about a deal like this?

will13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 04:52 PM
johnny_rudeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by will13 View Post
A wings fan mentioned on the main board that they would trade Nyquist, filppula, a 2013 1st round pick and a conditional 2nd for him. What would be the consensus about a deal like this?
Hell yes.

johnny_rudeboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 04:57 PM
leafspring*

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeGo View Post
carlyle better do this. I wish he would atleast give kadri some time with kessel every few games or so to see what they can do. Right now he doesn't even attempt to put them together so he has no idea if Kadri can handle 1st line duties. Keeping bozak there will just enable bozak to command more money this offseason. Play him 3rd line minutes and the guy can't go asking for 4mil+
There is interest in Bozak around the league but Nonis can't trade away that face-off ability before he replaces it.The interest around the league was mentioned on HNIC last week.

Bozak can go shake his pillow if he thinks he will get anywhere close to 4bills in salary imo.

Did you notice Chara being matched against Kadri in the Bruins game? He is already drawing attention now from teams.Carlyle can't hide him now so he has to promote him for a look seems to be the option that makes sense.

Old
03-09-2013, 05:31 PM
MakeTheIronSing

Quote:
Originally Posted by will13 View Post
Kessel in a Red Wings jersey along with Datsyuk and Zetterberg is a pretty scary idea considering the Leafs will have to play them somewhere around 6 times every year soon enough

MakeTheIronSing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 08:15 PM
Rizzy13

You know what's wrong? Whoever Leafs get, Leaf fans will complain about that person. We just have an issue with every player. Everyone's in love with Kadri right now, we'll jump on him if things go even a bit astray. We just can't accept "elite" talent.

If we get Perry, we will FIND things that are wrong with him no matter how amazing he is. Last 3 seasons, he was 3rd, 4th and 8th in Minor penalties for a season. He'll be taking those stupid penalties here and we'll complain about that. We could get Crosby, Leaf fans will find something wrong with him.

Last edited by Rizzy13: 03-09-2013 at 08:16 PM. Reason: wording
Rizzy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 09:21 PM
leafs1habs0
Burn the Boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzy13 View Post
You know what's wrong? Whoever Leafs get, Leaf fans will complain about that person. We just have an issue with every player. Everyone's in love with Kadri right now, we'll jump on him if things go even a bit astray. We just can't accept "elite" talent.

If we get Perry, we will FIND things that are wrong with him no matter how amazing he is. Last 3 seasons, he was 3rd, 4th and 8th in Minor penalties for a season. He'll be taking those stupid penalties here and we'll complain about that. We could get Crosby, Leaf fans will find something wrong with him.
I believe we all accepted #13 for 13 years with no complaints.. I guarantee you that if we acquire Perry, that no one will complain about his game, because like #13, there's nothing to hate and everything to love about this player.

leafs1habs0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 09:22 PM
Sonny21
Registerd User

Lets see the posts of, "where are the Kessel haters now?? zomg!" If people actually carefully read Kessel's critics, it's not about hating anyone. Kessel is a great player with great skillets.

However he can be easily shutdown when teams play actual good d on him and take his space away. His also very soft, as he won't take the hit to make a crucial play and even get out of the way even if it results in giveaway instead of taking the hit.

One of my own reasons for wanting to trade him, it's not because his soft or etc etc. It's simply because you gotta have some foresight. Not everything is about hindsight 20/20. Kessel's NTC kicks in the off season. We could argue back and forth on what we think he will sign for, but I am willing to bet with anyone it will be $7+ million. That's far too much to pay for more of a complimentary piece then franchise piece.

If someone were to tell me, we could have Kessel re-signed for $6 million or less, then we'd be crazy to trade him. However that is unlikely. So before anyone makes the assumption that people who suggest Kessel to be traded, just because of "one bad game" or etc etc then you're not paying attention.

Just my .02 cents.

Sonny21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 09:24 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafs1habs0 View Post
I believe we all accepted #13 for 13 years with no complaints.. I guarantee you that if we acquire Perry, that no one will complain about his game, because like #13, there's nothing to hate and everything to love about this player.

IF you believe that then you are too young to remember the uproar about trading our HEart and soul Wendel Clark for him.

Then he was unfit as a Captain after Gilmour.

Sundin was not accepted for years. Even at the end of his carreer there are Leafs fans who still didn't llike him.

charliolemieux is offline   Reply With Quote