HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Kessel?

View Poll Results: Should Phil Kessel be traded?
Yes 194 51.60%
No 182 48.40%
Voters: 376. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-07-2013, 11:06 PM
Didact
steel is my body

vCash: 500
Can someone please tell me how many primary assist Bozak has on Kessels goals since last season. Hell, how many primary assist does Bozak have on JVR's?

Didact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 11:07 PM
keonsbitterness
Buck Faceball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cor99 View Post
Sorry, just the fact that your pic is off a pumpkin puking and you said the word puke...

carry on.
Bonus points to you for catching that.

keonsbitterness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 11:08 PM
keonsbitterness
Buck Faceball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomber0104 View Post
Sorry for speaking freely. Didn't realize calling a coward a coward was so taboo around here.
Still irrelevant.

keonsbitterness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 11:12 PM
lebdafor norris
sleepy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgruntled Observer View Post
Players get more points on the 1st line, not the 3rd line.

The extra minutes and PP time a 1st liner gets MORE than makes up for the easier defensive pairing the 3rd line sees.

If Kadri was on the 1st line, he would get MORE points, not less.
Its to premature to put Kadri on the 1st line, having success playing sheltered minutes on the 3rd line against middle-bottom pairing D doesn't always quickly translate to success playing in the 1st line as your team's big guns. How are you so sure that Kadri can maintain his play with more minutes and tougher opposition?

lebdafor norris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 11:12 PM
The_Chosen_One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
Lol you can't be serious?

I can name at least 30 guys in the league I take over Phill Kessel right now.
Yes, and they'll never be traded. I mentioned Crosby simply because he's the best player in the league.

You got Stamkos, for instance. He will not be traded. One thing for certain is that he needs a Purcell/ Louis type of guy. Kessel is a much better playmaker.

By the way, thirty, sounds outright ridiculous. He was on a slump and yet tied with Kovalchuk. We're talking roughly top 30, right now. This whinging is getting ridiculous.

The_Chosen_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 11:13 PM
Cor
BEST IN THE WORLD

vCash: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Didact View Post
Can someone please tell me how many primary assist Bozak has on Kessels goals since last season. Hell, how many primary assist does Bozak have on JVR's?
Not a whole lot.

It's been Lupul-Kessel, or JVR-Kessel. Bozak is just there. That's not to take anything away from Bozak, he makes some nice plays and all, but he picks up a lot of secondary points and feeds off of Kessel and JVR/Lupul

Cor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 11:13 PM
buntek

Quote:
He was PPG with Marc Savard as his center in the playoffs....

Next.
4 games, that's funny.

I like players that have a pulse.

buntek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 11:16 PM
buntek

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Chosen_One View Post
Yes, and they'll never be traded. I mentioned Crosby simply because he's the best player in the league.

You got Stamkos, for instance. He will not be traded. One thing for certain is that he needs a Purcell/ Louis type of guy. Kessel is a much better playmaker.

By the way, thirty, sounds outright ridiculous. He was on a slump and yet tied with Kovalchuk. We're talking roughly top 30, right now. This whinging is getting ridiculous.
You must watch an awful lot of Bolts game...

buntek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 11:21 PM
topcat986*

Quote:
He was PPG with Marc Savard as his center in the playoffs....

Next.
Also got benched 2 games mister ill informed.

topcat986* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 11:21 PM
Leafsfan1028

This is a tough one for me at least. Would I rather have someone like Perry then Kessel? Sure, but what are our chances of realistically signing him this summer. Probably not very good. If we could move Kessel for a young top end centre (for example Duchene) then I would be ok with it because I think we have a lot of good wingers already, other wise i don't really think its worth it if were getting back a lot of lesser parts in the trade.

Leafsfan1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 11:22 PM
Didact
steel is my body

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucicfist View Post
Also got benched 2 games mister ill informed.
he was just a 2nd year pro at that time. And this is why we can't have nice things. People want them gone after a while after the shine is off. ex.Kessel, Kadri, I can't wait until people put Gardiner and Rielly on the block when they make soft plays and lose defensive coverage.

Old
03-07-2013, 11:25 PM
Bomber0104

Quote:
When you try and bash someone, at least get the facts straight.

Stamkos has 13 points in 18 playoffs games.... does that mean Tampa should trade him? Because stats wise, he disappears worse then Kessel in the playoffs....

edit: Also, just because I defend Kessel doesn't mean I'm a "blow hard". So, how about you stay away from the insults there bud
Points are not everything in hockey. As someone has just pointed out..he got benched in the playoffs for playing lazy defence.

Bomber0104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 11:27 PM
topcat986*

Quote:
When you try and bash someone, at least get the facts straight.

Stamkos has 13 points in 18 playoffs games.... does that mean Tampa should trade him? Because stats wise, he disappears worse then Kessel in the playoffs....

edit: Also, just because I defend Kessel doesn't mean I'm a "blow hard". So, how about you stay away from the insults there bud
The sad part is really this. I do not doubt your love of the Leafs. But go have a discussion with Bruin fans sincerly. Kessel is a goal scorer and nothing else. He is streaky as hell and gets those cute goals when your teams already up by 2 or down by 2. You need a damn 1st line center and no teams giving them up. Carlyle has set the tone with a system that is improving your team a ton. Now do the smart thing and trade the cream puff off for 2 way players or draft picks. making the playoffs as a 7th or 8th seed does what for you long term?

Old
03-07-2013, 11:28 PM
Cor
BEST IN THE WORLD

Quote:
Points are not everything in hockey. As someone has just pointed out..he got benched in the playoffs for playing lazy defence.
No he got "benched" two games because he was a young player. They were giving him a break. Letting him watch the games from above, helps them learn, catch things they wouldn`t from the bench and on the ice. Development

If they benched him for being lazy, he wouldn't have played again.

Also funny how you assume it was bad play.

Old
03-07-2013, 11:28 PM
topcat986*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didact View Post
he was just a 2nd year pro at that time. And this is why we can't have nice things. People want them gone after a while after the shine is off. ex.Kessel, Kadri, I can't wait until people put Gardiner and Rielly on the block when they make soft plays and lose defensive coverage.
With kessel it will always be an excuse. Last one was you acquired an elite scorer for unproven kids. When does it end?

Old
03-07-2013, 11:30 PM
Bomber0104

Quote:
The sad part is really this. I do not doubt your love of the Leafs. But go have a discussion with Bruin fans sincerly. Kessel is a goal scorer and nothing else. He is streaky as hell and gets those cute goals when your teams already up by 2 or down by 2. You need a damn 1st line center and no teams giving them up. Carlyle has set the tone with a system that is improving your team a ton. Now do the smart thing and trade the cream puff off for 2 way players or draft picks. making the playoffs as a 7th or 8th seed does what for you long term?
Great post. I've had conversations with all sorts of non Leafs fans and they nearly all agree that the Kessel trade was an absolute disaster for the Leafs. Seems like a growing number of Leafs fans are catching on to this and what you said. The Leafs shouldn't build around a passenger like Kessel. If he really was as "elite" as some Leafs fans seem to think he is, maybe there is a silly GM out there who overrates Kessel just the same (like Brian Burke).

Old
topcat986*

Quote:
No he got "benched" two games because he was a young player. They were giving him a break. Letting him watch the games from above, helps them learn, catch things they wouldn`t from the bench and on the ice. Development

Chara said during season to Kessel weight room is this way. his reply was I don't do weights

Old
The_Chosen_One

Quote:
Originally Posted by buntek View Post
You must watch an awful lot of Bolts game...
Am I incorrect? Stamkos isn't that much different from a Eric Staal-esque player. In fact, he's an elite goal scoring centreman.

I think in terms of an attacking centreman, he's probably the best in the world. You give him someone like Kessel and he'd flourish. Kessel is outright elite in terms of getting in position. His shot is instantaneous

As for assists, Kessel output in that regard is equivalent to Stamkos even though the latter has very crafty goal scorers. You give him someone beyond Bozak, he'd produce more. I'm not knocking JVR or Lupul, but neither Bozak/ Kessel are similar.

The_Chosen_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 11:31 PM
Bomber0104

Quote:

He didn't play again...pretty sure he got traded in the fall.

Old
03-07-2013, 11:31 PM
Didact
steel is my body

Quote:
With kessel it will always be an excuse. Last one was you acquired an elite scorer for unproven kids. When does it end?
wonderboy Kadri was a healthy scratch under Wilson and Eakins last season and this season. It's fact. Kessel sucks defensively, we all know that, but he's not the first kid to be a healthy scratch at a young age.

Old
03-07-2013, 11:33 PM
topcat986*

Quote:
Great post. I've had conversations with all sorts of non Leafs fans and they nearly all agree that the Kessel trade was an absolute disaster for the Leafs. Seems like a growing number of Leafs fans are catching on to this and what you said. The Leafs shouldn't build around a passenger like Kessel. If he really was as "elite" as some Leafs fans seem to think he is, maybe there is a silly GM out there who overrates Kessel just the same.
Sincerly hope this is true the Leafs deserve better god your fan base has suffered enough. The corporate crap the mismanagement and clown show running the leafs in past needs to end. A great leaf team is for better of all of Canada and the NHL.

Old
cyris
On a Soma Holiday

Looking like we are about to end the longest playoff drought in the league and club history and people want to trade our best player.

And yes Kessel is still our bets player. 25 great games by Kadri are not enough to trump over 200 by Kessel.

cyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Cor
BEST IN THE WORLD

Quote:
1. Seeing as anything can happen in the playoffs, I am fine with the 7th or 8th seed (although we are projected to finish 4th or 5th)

2. Kessel is a sniper, and considering Phil Kessel had 6 gwg last year (to compare Malkin had 9 on a much better Pitty team that won many more games). So no, all his goals aren`t meaningless.

3. Trading a 24 year old elite sniper for draft picks does what for us? Maybe gets us a future 3rd liner like Tyler Biggs? Sounds great bro

4. Trade Phil Kessel for 2 way forwards? Like Mike Fisher? or like Ryan Kesler?

5. Kessel is streaky, but how much of that is because he has no center to set up him. He can't do it all himself.

Old
03-07-2013, 11:36 PM
Defense

Quote:
I'm all game for Ovechkin.... but based on your lineup, do we give up a potato for him or?
No we give up a few of our top prospects and our 1st round pick

Defense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 11:37 PM
Cor
BEST IN THE WORLD

Quote:
Chara said during season to Kessel weight room is this way. his reply was I don't do weights
1. You know this how? Chara mocked Kessel liked that?

2. If you work out you know that weights are a very small portion of working out. They aren't becoming body builders. For hockey you have to work out your core, balence, endurance. You can get stronger without weights.

That is no big deal what so ever.