HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Yakupov's treatment is reminiscent to Stamkos' first season under Melrose

Old
03-07-2013, 11:18 PM
crazy Kassian
The North Remembers

vCash: 500
Yakupov's treatment is reminiscent to Stamkos' first season under Melrose

I think there is many parallels to be drawn with these two former OHL dynamic scorers.

One, is how heavily underutilized and mismanaged they are in their first season.

Anyone watching Oilers games (probably not, it's painful), can see who's actually trying out there... Well apparently not.

Yakupov has nearly as much points and twice as much points as Hall and RNH on the PP who, along with Horcoff are getting more than a minute of ice time.

I'm not even going to talk about how he's handled on even strength situations.

crazy Kassian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 11:20 PM
sailorjerry96

some of his play in the D-zone and neutral ice is brutal though. He always tries to skate through people and the play dies. He does have a great shot, speed, and energy though.

sailorjerry96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 11:20 PM
wingowango

at least coach ain't calling him out

melrose is an *******

wingowango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 12:05 AM
alphafox

As much as I don't like Yakupov I think most of this is growing pains from Junior to the NHL. Yakupov can't muscle his way through or around guys 5 years+ ahead of him in development. He also is getting exposed cheating toward the offensive end as he did in junior. He was a great scoring winger with an incomplete game, (he hit in junior, which is not the same thing as playing D) that is being exposed right now.

alphafox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 12:15 AM
Wizeman*

If they didnt mismanage the oilers they would have never got Hall , RNH or Yakupov in the first place so they are just doing what they do.

They are mismanaging to get Seth Jones this year.

Wizeman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 12:42 AM
Sky04

Haven't seen too many Oilers games this year as opposed to others, are they really mismanaging him or are they just trying to shelter the kid?

I caught some of the early games and he didn't look to strong on the puck and was iffy defensively, I can understand why they wouldn't want him against top-Dman from the other teams.

Stamkos was literally stuck on the 3rd/4th line for half the season without any chance of moving up the lineup, but then again, I can't complain, he took all his growing pains in half a season as an 18 year old and hasn't looked back since.

Sky04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 07:58 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Boy, does that seem like a long time ago. I remember the "bust" discussion around Stamkos. Kind of hard to believe looking back, but at the time it was just so painful to watch.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 08:05 AM
umwoz

Not even an Edmonton fan but if given the option of firing anyone from the Management or Coaching Staff in that organization I say pull the trigger.

The team seems complacent out there, now I'm not trying to blow things out of proportion but that's a sign of a losing atmosphere. Either that or the coach doesn't have the team's attention(the Lindy Ruff scenario).

umwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 08:58 AM
Johnny Bravo
Avi until he's fired

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky04 View Post
Haven't seen too many Oilers games this year as opposed to others, are they really mismanaging him or are they just trying to shelter the kid?

I caught some of the early games and he didn't look to strong on the puck and was iffy defensively, I can understand why they wouldn't want him against top-Dman from the other teams.

Stamkos was literally stuck on the 3rd/4th line for half the season without any chance of moving up the lineup, but then again, I can't complain, he took all his growing pains in half a season as an 18 year old and hasn't looked back since.
Definitely being mismanaged. He's playing with Smyth and Belanger; both of them have no offensive instinct whatsoever. Plus Krueger has not Yak the last 10 minutes of the 3rd period, for the last 10 games or so.

Johnny Bravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 09:01 AM
clayton magnet
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by umwoz View Post
Not even an Edmonton fan but if given the option of firing anyone from the Management or Coaching Staff in that organization I say pull the trigger.

The team seems complacent out there, now I'm not trying to blow things out of proportion but that's a sign of a losing atmosphere. Either that or the coach doesn't have the team's attention(the Lindy Ruff scenario).
I couldn't agree more. As an oilers fan I am embarrassed. I am so sick and tired of losing and getting high picks just to have to continually watch a ****** on ice product. Managament needs to go.

clayton magnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Turrican*
Not a homer

Hard to succeed with Smyth and Belanger on your line.

Realllllllly hard.

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
dookers9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorjerry96 View Post
some of his play in the D-zone and neutral ice is brutal though. He always tries to skate through people and the play dies. He does have a great shot, speed, and energy though.
Yup.

PP points have come when he's had space and/or been positioned for a 1-timer. Goal mouth scrambles 'n such. Then these points skew the rest of his performance.

He has a lot to adjust to 5-5 where there's less room and he needs to work within a system. He's far too often tried to go on his own, made poor passes, or been caught out of position defensively.

Krueger's justified in reining him in - Oiler fans (of which I am one) just have a lot to complain about right now, so everything under the sun becomes an issue.

dookers9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 09:14 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

they weren't/aren't mismanaged
Melrose was bringing Stamkos along slowly and was trying to win games, it's hard to trust an 18/19 year old in tight games

this is part of the process, as we can see, Melrose did not hurt Stamkos development at all

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 09:21 AM
Oscar Acosta
Bat Country

Well, he has to learn to play like the great Horcoff first. That's what all Oiler players have to strive for.

No team needs a house cleaning more. Also great to see the fans finally fed up and sick of this notion of a rebuild. Lowest point in the Oilers last decade is right now.

Oscar Acosta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 09:23 AM
ViD
Arty vs Nash 22:25

It's a shame he got to the Oilers, had he been selected by the Jackets, he would of been playing top line right now

ViD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 09:33 AM
BLASPHEMOUS
**** THE KING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
Definitely being mismanaged. He's playing with Smyth and Belanger; both of them have no offensive instinct whatsoever. Plus Krueger has not Yak the last 10 minutes of the 3rd period, for the last 10 games or so.
Sounds like Yakupov is getting the Seguin treatment. Unfortunately, unlike Julien I cannot vouch for Krueger's ability to teach him the ways, and I am certainly not going to suggest that the Oilers organization has a clue.

BLASPHEMOUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 09:49 AM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endersoldier View Post
Sounds like Yakupov is getting the Seguin treatment. Unfortunately, unlike Julien I cannot vouch for Krueger's ability to teach him the ways, and I am certainly not going to suggest that the Oilers organization has a clue.
They do not.

Old
03-08-2013, 09:56 AM
Psychoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViD View Post
It's a shame he got to the Oilers, had he been selected by the Jackets, he would of been playing top line right now
lol I love Yakupov so much i'd be willing to give him to you guys just so I can see him succeed properly.

He's the only guy on the team that, when he''s happy, i'm happy. I honestly don't even care if we lose every game for the rest of the year, if Yakupov scores 25 goals, i'll be the happiest oiler fan there is

if he scores big with the jackets, i'd still be happy

Psychoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 09:56 AM
TreeSapLlama

Quote:
Why, so you guys could show them how to REALLY manage a top Russian draft pick?

TreeSapLlama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 09:58 AM
JayKing
Go Habs Go

vCash: 591
Quote:
I have to say, he would've looked good next to Anisimov.

JayKing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 10:10 AM
StupidityKills

Quote:
Originally Posted by dookers9 View Post
Yup.

PP points have come when he's had space and/or been positioned for a 1-timer. Goal mouth scrambles 'n such. Then these points skew the rest of his performance.

He has a lot to adjust to 5-5 where there's less room and he needs to work within a system. He's far too often tried to go on his own, made poor passes, or been caught out of position defensively.

Krueger's justified in reining him in - Oiler fans (of which I am one) just have a lot to complain about right now, so everything under the sun becomes an issue.
When playing with Smyth and Belanger going in alone seems like the best option..

StupidityKills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 10:11 AM
TOML

Quote:
And likely hurt.

TOML

TOML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 10:20 AM
SchultzSquared

Stamkos- 0.29 GPG, 0.29 APG, 14:56 TOI/G, 11:58 ES TOI/G, 2:50 PP TOI/G
Yakupov- 0.26 GPG, 0.26 APG, 14:08 TOI/G, 11:27 ES TOI/G, 2:59 PP TOI/G

I would say they are very close from the stats alone... let alone what we see on the ice in terms of mismanagement

SchultzSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 11:18 AM
doubledown99

I'm not really sure what they are doing with Yak. The game against CLB he didn't see the ice in OT. Which boggles my mind because he would be more effective with more space out there with his speed and skill. The talent is obvious....what the Oilers are doing with him (or the "plan") I'm not sure about

doubledown99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 11:28 AM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledown99 View Post
I'm not really sure what they are doing with Yak. The game against CLB he didn't see the ice in OT. Which boggles my mind because he would be more effective with more space out there with his speed and skill. The talent is obvious....what the Oilers are doing with him (or the "plan") I'm not sure about
Krueger is being a ****ing idiot.
He is our BEST pure shooter and is not being used on a 4 on 3 PP in OT... Like come on.