HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Gagner's size

Old
03-10-2013, 09:42 PM
Rains

vCash: 500
Gagner's size

To me Gag's doesn't look that smallish anymore. He seems to be alot beefier than previous years, 200lbs is pretty good for 2nd line center.

I just don't see a better upgrade out there folks, he seems to be finally coming into his own. The only way i could see moving him, is to the wing and getting a brute of a center via trade (Hemsky)

Rains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 10:00 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

I agree. Honestly I don't think size is at all his issue. If he has a weakness it is just skating. He still is not the best skater, though he has improved. Ideally you want a better skater at C. However, I will still take him. He has had a great year!!

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 10:01 PM
oilphan

I think we lost him with the contract we signed him to this year. Unaffordable now.

oilphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 10:04 PM
Herman72
Heaven and Hell

It'd be nice if he had any idea how to play hockey in his own end.

Herman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 10:10 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
I think its pretty clear we need a bigger replacement for Hemsky, not Gagner

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 10:26 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
I think its pretty clear we need a bigger replacement for Hemsky, not Gagner
Or a grittier guy forvHemsky. Gagner has proven he is steadily getter better each year. He changed my opinion with his new man strength and swagger. Keep Gagner, move Hemsky. Fast.

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 10:29 PM
Blue And Orange
#KevinLoweMustGo

Gagner is still a work-in-progress. He's 23, his offense has come around. Hopefully he makes improvements on defense and faceoffs.

Blue And Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 10:45 PM
Rains

I think the writing's on the wall for Hemmer, Just hope we can get a good return. Now's the year to do it or we'll get nothing more than a 2nd rounder.

Rains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 10:59 PM
Lessy

The thing with Gagner is that he's playing lights out this year and no one wants to trade him. When he goes into a rut, which all players do, we're going to be pushing him out the door while his value is lowest. Buy low sell high applies to the GM job on occasion as well. If we're trading Gagner we need to do it now.

Lessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 10:59 PM
Lessy

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotnick View Post
I think the writing's on the wall for Hemmer, Just hope we can get a good return. Now's the year to do it or we'll get nothing more than a 2nd rounder.
If/when we trade Hemmer we won't be getting a draft pick in return. We'll be getting an NHL contract back guaranteed.

Lessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 11:21 PM
Pointteen

I'm a huge Hemsky fan and would rather see him retained than Gagner. That being said, I'm slowly accepting the idea of trading him. If Hemsky goes for a big bodied left winger that can play defense and wreak havoc in front of the net then it doesn't seem so bad to keep Gagner if he stays for relatively cheap. The issue is that Horcoff isn't an elite shutdown centre.
Bolland is a free agent the year after next. But he's also small. He'd need to have two big wingers if we went that way. Ott interests me as well. Wasn't he pretty high on faceoffs? I checked NHL.com

Horcoff would have one year and probably be pretty tradeable if needed because his cap hit is much higher than his actual pay that year.

Ryan Malone would be perfect with Gagner and Yakupov next year. Though Malone's career plus/minus is -45. I don't look too much into stats but that's pretty brutal.

I've mentioned Malone a few times. What do you guys think of free agency for a third line centre? Worth the potential payoff or better to risk the trades?

Pointteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 11:29 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
Gagner isn't even small. People just have some stupid obsession with size and want a top 6 of Lucic's

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 11:53 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
Gagner isn't even small. People just have some stupid obsession with size and want a top 6 of Lucic's
Well said. It is so true.

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 12:00 AM
Oiltankjob Fail
Eakins GTFO

Gagner has points in all our 9 wins 5g 8a 13 pts 1 gwg 2 so gwg Imagine where we would be in standings without him this year , and some still wanting to ship him out.

Oiltankjob Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 12:12 AM
t0psh3lfclu7ch
Real Men Have Scars

Send a message via ICQ to t0psh3lfclu7ch
it might be easier to trade hemmer for a high draft pick and a B+/A- prospect if we take a cap dump roster player back as well which we use our buy out on, or just eat some of hemskys salary.

t0psh3lfclu7ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 12:13 AM
ohheyhemsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0psh3lfclu7ch View Post
it might be easier to trade hemmer for a high draft pick and a B+/A- prospect if we take a cap dump roster player back as well which we use our buy out on.
And this makes sense why?

ohheyhemsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 12:13 AM
t0psh3lfclu7ch
Real Men Have Scars

Send a message via ICQ to t0psh3lfclu7ch
salary cap issues of other teams 5 million is alot to swallow

t0psh3lfclu7ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 12:27 AM
loller12

Gagner a long with Horcoff is right now the heart of this team. Gagner plays bigger then almost everyone on this team.

loller12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 12:49 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedling View Post
Or a grittier guy forvHemsky. Gagner has proven he is steadily getter better each year. He changed my opinion with his new man strength and swagger. Keep Gagner, move Hemsky. Fast.
Two words. David. Clarkson.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 01:20 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohheyhemsky View Post
And this makes sense why?
We can use Hemsky's salary to pay Gagner in the offseason and maybe sign a depth free agent.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 01:44 AM
BlueChip01

I would love a guy to take hemmers place with 1/4 if the skill

BlueChip01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 02:03 AM
ohheyhemsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
We can use Hemsky's salary to pay Gagner in the offseason and maybe sign a depth free agent.
We have one more year with Hemsky. I highly doubt that with whatever Gagner's pay raise will be, the 5 mill cap hit will hinder it for next year.

The OP wanted to trade Hemsky for lesser value, which I don't see any sense behind. It must be a lateral movement for equal readiness in the NHL now.

If the idea was to move Hemsky for B+ prospects and a mid ranged draft pick, we might as well keep him and hope his value raises next year. It's risky, but it would be his contract year and you could see his value go up.

Old
03-11-2013, 02:05 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohheyhemsky View Post
We have one more year with Hemsky. I highly doubt that with whatever Gagner's pay raise will be, the 5 mill cap hit will hinder it for next year.

The OP wanted to trade Hemsky for lesser value, which I don't see any sense behind. It must be a lateral movement for equal readiness in the NHL now.

If the idea was to move Hemsky for B+ prospects and a mid ranged draft pick, we might as well keep him and hope his value raises next year. It's risky, but it would be his contract year and you could see his value go up.
But then what would we trade him for next year? Probably prospects and picks because that's the nature of team he would be traded to.

By trading him you regain assets, which may be lesser at this point in time, and you open up space for a FA signing, like Horton or Clowe.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 02:14 AM
ohheyhemsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
But then what would we trade him for next year? Probably prospects and picks because that's the nature of team he would be traded to.

By trading him you regain assets, which may be lesser at this point in time, and you open up space for a FA signing, like Horton or Clowe.
The idea of signing players like Horton and Clowe still doesn't fly into my mind so easily. Especially with all of the "Edmonton is a dead zone" hub-bub we've all had to live through lately.

If it weren't for all that junk, and the fact that we have a GM sitting on his hands 18 hours a day, still deciding what he should have eaten for lunch yesterday, I'd be open for this idea.

Next year, just by progressive and developmental standards, we should(haha) be a little more competitive. Trading Hemsky away next year when, again, hopefully he'd follow through in his contract year and his value raised, we'd get bodies to help us push onto the next level.

I see the point of draft picks in a salary cap sport, but not when we're trading an asset like Hemsky. Similar value, or bust.

..Seeing as how my avatar and name both have to do with Hemsky, I obviously don't like the idea of getting rid of him.

Old
03-11-2013, 06:57 AM
Broilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
I agree. Honestly I don't think size is at all his issue. If he has a weakness it is just skating. He still is not the best skater, though he has improved. Ideally you want a better skater at C. However, I will still take him. He has had a great year!!
If hecan improve his skating and face off skills he could be a first line center. At this point of his career he is our best center well beyond RNH and a very good 2nd line center in most of the teams in the league.

Broilers is offline   Reply With Quote