HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ducks Re-Sign Getzlaf extension [8 Years/$8.25 million AAV, NMC]

Old
03-08-2013, 02:05 PM
Hagged

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelation View Post
Only concern is with his age. With his style of play, will he still be effective durring the latter years of the contract? But for the next 3-4 years, I don't think the contract is that bad.
Well, if you look at Selanne, Getzlaf could still have 15 years of his prime left.

Hagged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 02:05 PM
JeffMangum
~anger~

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hello Newman View Post
haha wow, only 500k less than Crosby... what an overpayment.
Crosby makes more in the first 8 years of his deal than Getzlaf.

03-08-2013, 02:06 PM
EdAVSfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk41 View Post
Show me a long-term UFA deal with a cap hit of $9 million.

I know the retort will be that teams cannot do cap circumventing deals now. Right, but if teams couldn't do those deals and couldn't get reasonable cap hits, they wouldn't have paid those massive front loaded salaries in the first place.
Nooooo. The players would just have signed with another team who COULD offer a big cap hit. The point of the back-diving deals is to give teams flexibility with their cap management.

Under this new cba, that management will just become much harder.

EdAVSfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
flameaholic

Sweet Moses. This is the kind of contract I would have expected Feaster to have offered him.

He already looks like a 40 year old, Ducks fans better hope he doesn't start playing like one.

flameaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 To Stanley View Post
ELC's don't last eight years.
We don't need them to.

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 02:07 PM
Ari91

I know the Ducks have the cap space but that's a mighty big cap hit. I wonder if this may have a trickle down effect with star players on other teams.

I was willing to bet money he would stay in Anaheim. Perry seems more like the wildcard but I wouldn't be surprised at all if he stayed put as well. I have a habit of thinking of Perry and Getzlaf as a package deal (don't ask me why).

Ari91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 02:08 PM
oXo Cube
Termite

Send a message via Skype™ to oXo Cube
Malkin and Crosby still aren't good comparables

Both could (or could have in Sid's case) get the league max if thats what they want.

oXo Cube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 02:09 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs_24x View Post
Malkin is going to get what he deserves...can Getzlaf say the same?

Not to mention they are not in the same stratosphere.
You do realize that Getzlaf actually signed at a discount, right?

Malkin is gonna be making as much as Suter, Parise, Weber, Richards, Kovalchuk, which is ~10 million. Except in their cases that 10 million is displayed as a 6.7 or 7.5 due to cap gimmicks. In Malkin's case it will be displayed as exactly what it is. Getzlaf is making a couple hundred k more than Hossa in terms of real money and most people would argue that it's warranted. He's barely making more than Luongo FFS.

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
zytz
lumberjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafettish View Post
thye never spend to the cap and they can still afford perry. but yea this deal ****s up everybody especially chicago lol
How does this affect Chicago?

zytz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Flowzak
I saw, I conquered.

Oh Getzlaf, how can you do this to us Leaf fans after suggesting this entire time you were going to come here?

Flowzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
kasper11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 To Stanley View Post
I agree, the deal is legitimate, but it brings up some serious concerns I have. For example, teams that home grow there guys and if they become big stars, they should be able to keep them.

I think there should be something like the NBA has where you can sign them but it doesn't kill all your cap space. Teams shouldn't be losing guys they are responsible for developing.
The owners wanted a hard cap....every team has a limit on what they can spend.

Teams do have one big advantage with their own players, you can sign them to 8 year deals instead of 7 (taken from the NBA I believe).

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
kihei

vCash: 3125
That's a stunner of a cap hit.

kihei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 02:10 PM
SmellOfVictory

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorstenFrings View Post
Uhm, no. The had deflated cap hits before due to the cheat years at the end. Say what you will about this contract, but it seems to be a rather fine example of the cap hit matching the salary matching his FA market value, there is not much inflated about it.
I think the thing is that those artificially low cap hits allowed players to be overpaid, at least with the current salary distribution in the NHL. You can't build a killer team when the core players on a 20 man team are each getting ~12% of the salary cap AAV (Pittsburgh excepted).

Either the elite players will have to get a little bit less in real dollars than they did post-lockout, or the middle/lower class guys in the league are going to get squeezed and we'll see even bigger gaps between the top 100 or so players and the other 500. The distribution does have to change somehow, in terms of real dollars. I think we'll see some stupid contracts given out in the next season or two, followed by a bit of a correction once GMs realize they just can't afford, on a real salary basis, to pay players what they would've gotten prior to the lockout.

SmellOfVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 02:11 PM
DeuceMN
Really?

Ouch...

Good for the Ducks though. Would have been worse had he left.

DeuceMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 02:12 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieAVS View Post
Considering hed probably be getting 80 M over the first 8 years, and then peanuts at the end, does it really make a difference.

What changes now is not being able to hide those cap hits, and being unable to stack your team with artificial hits.

Owners pay out 50%. The cap hits are irrelevant. The only thing that changes is how teams can build up their rosters, not the actual money they dish out.

People need to not lump everything together.
Its amazing how many people are missing this.

Lets say for example he gets an equal value $66M deal under something we might see in the old CBA:

10 Year deal with salary each year:

10,10,9,8,8,7,6,4,2,2 = 66 Million

Dividing this number to give us the avg. and thus CAP HIT gives us: 6.6M, a relative steal and a number more in line with what we might have seen under the old CBA.

BOTH of these contracts are worth the same amount of dollars. This contract is a great example of why the lockout was needed to fix these cap circumvention issues.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Slick Eller

Holy overpayment.

Slick Eller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
c4rcy
Power lvls over 9000

So much lol in this thread. Everyone instantly became so knowledgeable about Getzlaf's play this season, or any season prior to last.

c4rcy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 02:13 PM
dirk41

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieAVS View Post
Nooooo. The players would just have signed with another team who COULD offer a big cap hit. The point of the back-diving deals is to give teams flexibility with their cap management.
Just because another team would have had more cap space doesn't mean it would have offered more money. A lot of teams have self-imposed caps that are lower than the league's.

The point of the back-diving deals is to LOWER the cap hit. The lower cap hit leads to more flexibility.

dirk41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
Yeah Getzlaf certainly didnt sign at a discount. It's a tad expensive even for a quality player like him but you've gotta do it. Cant afford to lose your best player and that caphit certainly isnt out of the world.

Grats duck for retaining your captain =)

vippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Adirondack Flames
Unofficial

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorstenFrings View Post
Uhm, no. The had deflated cap hits before due to the cheat years at the end. Say what you will about this contract, but it seems to be a rather fine example of the cap hit matching the salary matching his FA market value, there is not much inflated about it.
Christ, you just said the same thing I did, maybe you should have read my entire post before disagreeing based on 1 word, because in comparison to what people are used to it will seem inflated.

Adirondack Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 02:15 PM
Petes2424

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs_24x View Post
Malkin is going to get what he deserves...can Getzlaf say the same?

Not to mention they are not in the same stratosphere.
Pittsburgh has to be screaming at the top of their lungs right now. Malkin just made a killing with this Getzlaf contract.

Petes2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 02:16 PM
Selanne138

Too all the fans of other teams stunned with the cap hit.

Wait until your stars get there. This is the new norm for cap hits with the circumventions taken out. Youre gonna be right in our shoes when youre paying your star players the same types of salaries.

Selanne138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 02:17 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes2424 View Post
Pittsburgh has to be screaming at the top of their lungs right now. Malkin just made a killing with this Getzlaf contract.
He was going to anyway. With the new rules, no way Malkin was going to sign for $64 million or so when many lesser players get that. He was and will be getting paid either way.

Gibsons Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
mightyquack
Rekordtorschütze!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes2424 View Post
Malkin is getting paid in the old CBA or new CBA.

Difference is that Pittsburgh can't throw a few low money years at the end of his contract to reduce the cap hit in the new CBA.

mightyquack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
Its amazing how many people are missing this.

Lets say for example he gets an equal value $66M deal under something we might see in the old CBA:

10 Year deal with salary each year:

10,10,9,8,8,7,6,4,2,2 = 66 Million

Dividing this number to give us the avg. and thus CAP HIT gives us: 6.6M, a relative steal and a number more in line with what we might have seen under the old CBA.

BOTH of these contracts are worth the same amount of dollars. This contract is a great example of why the lockout was needed to fix these cap circumvention issues.

If you actually compare it to the recent big name retirement contracts, you'd get an even bigger discrepancy. Parise, Suter and Weber are effectively 13 million dollar a year players over Getzlaf's term. If Getzlaf could have been signed under the old CBA, he'd have a 7-7.5 million cap hit with 13 million a year over the next 8 years. This closer to Hossa and Luongo, which were pressed way way down. If Getzlaf wanted this 8.25 million dollar base under the old CBA his retirement cap hit would be just north of 5.5 million.

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote