HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

Around the NHL III: Playoff Push Edition

Closed Thread

Old
04-18-2013, 08:56 AM
xX Hot Fuss
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring Back GLR View Post
I never said CBJ was a joke I'm just stating we should beat them and beat them good. I don't want to be so afraid to make statements about who we should beat for fear of us losing and looking arrogant, confidence isn't necessarily cockiness.
Agreed. This team has been the best team in the NHL from start to finish. We should absolutely expect to be going very far in the playoffs, meaning there's no reason for us as fans to not expect the hawks to beat most teams we play.

That doesn't mean we think any series will be easy, or a guaranteed win, but to be "afraid" or "worried" about any opponent is a little unrealistic IMO.

Old
04-18-2013, 09:10 AM
Hawkaholic

I still don't believe in CLB, they are hot, their goalie is playing far above where he normally would, and they are giving it their all every night just to make the playoffs. Not too worried about them.

Old
04-18-2013, 09:49 AM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
A hard working team with a white hot goalie? We played one of those last year.

Old
04-18-2013, 10:00 AM
BronYrAur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
I'm confident enough in this team that I go as far as saying there is no team in the west that will beat us in a 7 game series
That's foolish since LAK may very well still be the best team in the West.

Old
04-18-2013, 10:58 AM
madgoat33

we've given it to the kings this year....

Old
04-18-2013, 11:05 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by BronYrAur View Post
That's foolish since LAK may very well still be the best team in the West.
and they don't even win their conference with Quick not playing on the level he did last year.

We beat them over the course of this season and yes I'm confident enough to say this again. I don't see a team beating us in a 7 game series. That's not being arrogant, but anything short of the WCFinals will be a huge disappointment after the season we had

Old
04-18-2013, 11:37 AM
Sevanston

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
That's what I keep thinking too.

Old
04-18-2013, 12:04 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
A few big differences though,

the Hawks of 2013 > Hawks of 2012
Toews healthy
Hossa healthy
PK much improved
Defense much improved

Old
04-18-2013, 12:41 PM
Chris Hansen
Team Tyrion

Over his last 101 regular season games (two seasons), Toews has scored at a 40.6 goals per 82 games pace.
Didn't realize he'd been quite that good.

Old
04-18-2013, 01:25 PM
BronYrAur

Quote:
Originally Posted by madgoat33 View Post
we've given it to the kings this year....
Kings are the best puck possession team in the league. They were last year, they were in the playoffs last year, and they still are now.

The nonsense about Quick carrying them is nonsense. They scored 27 more goals than their opponents in 20 games in the playoffs.

Old
04-18-2013, 01:26 PM
BronYrAur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
and they don't even win their conference with Quick not playing on the level he did last year.

We beat them over the course of this season and yes I'm confident enough to say this again. I don't see a team beating us in a 7 game series. That's not being arrogant, but anything short of the WCFinals will be a huge disappointment after the season we had
Some folks will never understand the RANDOMNESS of the salary cap NHL.

Old
04-18-2013, 01:34 PM
madgoat33

Quote:
Kings are the best puck possession team in the league. They were last year, they were in the playoffs last year, and they still are now.

The nonsense about Quick carrying them is nonsense. They scored 27 more goals than their opponents in 20 games in the playoffs.
and we're right up there with them in possession. add in the fact we are faster and have a better d top to bottom and the only way the lak should scare us is if their struggling goalie catches fire.

Old
04-18-2013, 01:55 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:

In 10 of those games, they gave up 1 or 0 goals. In those 10 games they scored 2 or less goals (not counting EN goals) in 7 of those games. In 2 additonal games, Quick gave up 2 goals and the Kings won by 1 goal (not including empty net goals). That big goal differential comes from 2 4-0 shutouts and a 6-1 blowout in the Cup clinching game. The Kings were far from dominant winning 10 games by 1 goal (not including empty netters where they won by 2). Quick put up the 4th highest save% in the playoffs in NHL history but did it over 20 games (1-3 did it in 7 of less games). There's a reason he won the Conn Smythe trophey.

Old
04-18-2013, 02:09 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
I still don't believe in CLB, they are hot, their goalie is playing far above where he normally would, and they are giving it their all every night just to make the playoffs. Not too worried about them.
Care to explain how Bobrovsky a 3rd year (2nd year as starter) goalie at age of 24 should be normally?

Here is simple fact

Bobrovsky showed in KHL elite talent and good potential as rookie with Flyers ,, Getting away from Philly has finally allowed the kid to show his stuff

I assume in your eyes the Kings had no shot because Quick was playing above what he normally would as 26 yr old?

Simple fact is that Philly is to goalies what Chicago is to QB"s ,,, Bobrovsky won the lotto getting out of there

Old
04-18-2013, 02:12 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
I agree completely. The guy is an elite goaltender.

Old
04-18-2013, 02:14 PM
BronYrAur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Care to explain how Bobrovsky a 3rd year (2nd year as starter) goalie at age of 24 should be normally?

Here is simple fact

Bobrovsky showed in KHL elite talent and good potential as rookie with Flyers ,, Getting away from Philly has finally allowed the kid to show his stuff

I assume in your eyes the Kings had no shot because Quick was playing above what he normally would as 26 yr old?

Simple fact is that Philly is to goalies what Chicago is to QB"s ,,, Bobrovsky won the lotto getting out of there
Crawford is having a similarly excellent season and Bob & Crawford have very similar career NHL numbers (Bobrovsky slightly better sv%, however has played fewer games). But nobody worries about Crawford? Fact is, Bobrovsky has let in some laughers in big moments, but folks worry about Crawford but act like Bob is going to be this year's Mike Smith.

Certainly possible, and you don't really want to tempt fate playing the guy who seems to be on fire & in the zone right now. But on the other hand, his numbers will regress sooner or later.

IMO the more worrying aspect of CBJ is that they seem to be playing a bit better as a team. They looked pretty strong against Anaheim last night.

Old
04-18-2013, 02:18 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:

Here is simple fact

Bobrovsky is hot right now, just like Quick last year, Mike Smith last year, Thomas the year before that, etc.

%'s like that are not sustainable over the course of a full season. He is playing lights out right now, it's not likely to continue for too long of a stretch.

I don't know what the rest of your post has to do with anything.

Old
04-18-2013, 02:19 PM
Illinihockey

I worry about Columbus because they got better at the deadline and already have played us close.

Old
04-18-2013, 02:21 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
I worry about Columbus because they got better at the deadline and already have played us close.
Ya, they added Marian "MIA for the playoffs" Gaborik.

Old
04-18-2013, 02:57 PM
xX Hot Fuss
HFBoards Sponsor

I'm less nervous about a team like Columbus largely in part how we tend to play teams with little offensive skill. We usually keep the shots against really low against NSH, DAL, PHX, CBJ.

Bob will play great but the Hawks are simply better

Old
04-18-2013, 06:28 PM
Tone King
Atomic Punk

vCash: 50
Quote:

Here is simple fact

I think Laviolette is a demotivating coach who gets less out of his players rather than more by his coaching style.

Old
04-18-2013, 06:35 PM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanny View Post
I think Laviolette is a demotivating coach who gets less out of his players rather than more by his coaching style.
I can't just blame Laviolette, the Flyers have had goalie issues for decades, so instead of being a rare case Bob is just another goalie who failed to play up to his expectations in Philly.

Old
04-18-2013, 07:04 PM
Chris Hansen
Team Tyrion

Not really feeling the Columbus worry that a lot of others seem to have.

I don't think there's a team in the running for eighth that can beat the Hawks in a series, barring a ridiculous rash of injuries or something. I would rather avoid St. Louis though. Hawks would win the series but come out of it pretty beaten up.

After the first round is where my confidence is much lower. But really, that's just how it is in the NHL... or in any professional league aside from the NBA

Old
04-18-2013, 07:09 PM
Tone King
Atomic Punk

vCash: 50
I think we will be fine in the first round. Not so worried about that. If we lose in the first round it will be something goalie related on the Hawks

Old
04-18-2013, 07:35 PM
Sevanston

Minnesota's AHL team is moving next year from Houston to Des Moines.

Good for the Wild, good for Des Moines, and good for me when I visit my family near there because Ames is a horribly boring place, especially around the winter holidays.

Closed Thread