HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Free Agent Frenzy
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Free Agent Frenzy Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Zack Smith To Edmonton?

Old
03-07-2013, 11:30 AM
Bryanbryoil

vCash: 500
Zack Smith To Edmonton?

I honestly haven't seen much of this guy but he appears to be a good skating big body that can scrap and chip in some offense. What would it take to get him away from Ottawa and into an Oilers jersey?

03-07-2013, 11:36 AM
BK201

He was just extended and Ottawa would loose a lot of toughness with out him. He's also our third line center and a decent one. Skates and battles hard.

His value is pretty high to Ottawa as he's 1 of only 6 players on our roster with more than 2 seasons in the NHL...

It's not that he's not available it's that he would likely only be moved as part of a bigger trade fur a young top 6 forward... Or young mid pairing D.

That's what we need and that's why Ottawa has also been unsuccessful at trading this year.

BK201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 11:52 AM
Dick Whitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
I honestly haven't seen much of this guy but he appears to be a good skating big body that can scrap and chip in some offense. What would it take to get him away from Ottawa and into an Oilers jersey?
We don't have an excess of those kinds of players so I don't think Ottawa could realistically move him unless it drastically improved the team.

Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 11:53 AM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK201 View Post
He was just extended and Ottawa would loose a lot of toughness with out him. He's also our third line center and a decent one. Skates and battles hard.

His value is pretty high to Ottawa as he's 1 of only 6 players on our roster with more than 2 seasons in the NHL...

It's not that he's not available it's that he would likely only be moved as part of a bigger trade fur a young top 6 forward... Or young mid pairing D.

That's what we need and that's why Ottawa has also been unsuccessful at trading this year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Whitman View Post
We don't have an excess of those kinds of players so I don't think Ottawa could realistically move him unless it drastically improved the team.
Would a deal around Hemsky make any sense? He'd add another gamebreaking player to the team up front.

Bryanbryoil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 12:03 PM
Dick Whitman

Quote:
Would a deal around Hemsky make any sense? He'd add another gamebreaking player to the team up front.
Would depend on what other pieces are involved, I suppose. I personally don't think Ottawa should add any salary this season based on their injury troubles but I'd think that if Murray thought he could re-sign Hemsky after next season, he'd be interested.

Old
03-07-2013, 12:03 PM
BK201

Quote:
I doubt it. Not that Hemsky is terrible, and I think that their would be interest in hemsky but I don't see Smith leaving for a Hemsky.

Old
03-07-2013, 12:09 PM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

Hemsky doesnt make sense for us. I'd do Smith + Bishop for Edmonton's 1st. Besides that, really nothing I'm too interested in. Wouldn't do Smith for Pajarvi, Gagner doesnt fit on our team and would require more than Smith, Hemsky just isn't appealing considering his contract (sad, I hyped him as a future top 10 player not too long ago)... I'd also consider Smid but I figure that ship has sailed with the acquisition of Methot.

wubwubwubwub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 12:09 PM
Bryanbryoil

Is there anything on our club other than the usual non starters that would interest you?

Bryanbryoil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 12:17 PM
BK201

Quote:
Originally Posted by The OttoMan Lion View Post
Hemsky doesnt make sense for us. I'd do Smith + Bishop for Edmonton's 1st. Besides that, really nothing I'm too interested in. Wouldn't do Smith for Pajarvi, Gagner doesnt fit on our team and would require more than Smith, Hemsky just isn't appealing considering his contract (sad, I hyped him as a future top 10 player not too long ago)... I'd also consider Smid but I figure that ship has sailed with the acquisition of Methot.
Even smith plus Bishop for a first is not great for what the team actually needs we need to keep our good center depth and need actual NHL players not prospects we still have 3 first round pics in junior.

We're around the same stage as Edmonton in our rebuild maybe/probably a little further.

They have Shultz and RNH 3wingers maybe a decent goaltender, they need a great goaltender stater, better center depth, and better defensive depth

We have #1center (good center depth) 1-3 defenseman and a #1 goalie. we need wingers.

Old
03-07-2013, 12:28 PM
Kezia
egg

vCash: 50
Makes no sense for the Sens to trade him.

Kezia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 12:57 PM
MinnesotaFats

vCash: 50
Quote:
Im sure any Sens fan would, but even our half-wit GM would laugh in Murray's face for that. You'd need to put Zibanejad, Silfverberg, or Cowan's name on the table to even start a discussion about our 1st. It will be top 10 this year, likely top 5.

Also disagree that Gagner doesnt fit the Sens. Gagner can play both C and RW. Alfie won't be around forever and Gagner would be a solid pick up to fill a hole on the RW. C depth is never a bad thing which is exactly why Edmonton shouldnt give him up unless there is an overpay.

MinnesotaFats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 01:09 PM
HockeySens

I think sens fans are asking for a pretty high return since zack smith is one of the few players in ottawa who has 3rd line skill but also adds some grit and toughness. He also plays in the checking line. He is the type of player(grit, toughness, energy) that oilers needs and makes the difference between a playoff team and a 10-13th place team.
Nontheless to pry smith from ottawa oilers have to give back someone like MPS ++

Im sure with that value the oilers will not agree, so this trade is not likely to happen,

HockeySens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 01:12 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
And what else?

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 01:19 PM
The Fuhr*

Quote:
If Edmonton did not suck so much then that would make sense... that team could end up with the 1st overall pick again... that team is just beyond brutal.

If that 1st was around 20 then it would make a lot more sense.

I think Smith is a fantastic fit in Ottawa but I would prob move him for MPS + Oilers 2nd (prob around 31-35th ovr)

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 01:46 PM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Below View Post
If Edmonton did not suck so much then that would make sense... that team could end up with the 1st overall pick again... that team is just beyond brutal.

If that 1st was around 20 then it would make a lot more sense.

I think Smith is a fantastic fit in Ottawa but I would prob move him for MPS + Oilers 2nd (prob around 31-35th ovr)
I'd definitely do that as well. Doubt Oil would.

But I wouldn't trade Bishop + Smith for a 20th pick. Picks after 12-15 start losing value pretty rapidly for me as you might not even be getting a top 10-15 guy on your list. Whereas in the top 15 you have a shot at getting someone who was top 5 (Ceci). I actually thought Edmonton was around 12 right now, didn't realize quite how badly theyre still doing.

Old
03-07-2013, 02:09 PM
BK201

I actually thought they were a lot higher in the standings too.

I think the most movable center we have is Regin.

But I think he would be pretty good for edmonton's bottom 6.

Old
03-07-2013, 02:14 PM
BonMorrison
Always on fleek.

Ottawa doesn't do this, from what I can tell, Sens fans value Smith like Oilers fans value Ryan Jones.

BonMorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 02:24 PM
Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

A 1st Round Pick. No? Okay, I guess we'll keep him.

Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 03:00 PM
Dick Whitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manked View Post
A 1st Round Pick. No? Okay, I guess we'll keep him.
Same value as Mike Fisher? A guy who has 1 goal this year? Look, I like Zack Smith as much as the next guy but it'd cost less to get him.

Old
03-07-2013, 03:14 PM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
Same value as Mike Fisher? A guy who has 1 goal this year? Look, I like Zack Smith as much as the next guy but it'd cost less to get him.
Would you trade Smith for Fisher? I wouldnt.

Old
03-07-2013, 08:19 PM
IranCondraAffair

Not getting traded for anything Edmonton would be willing to part with.

IranCondraAffair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 08:25 PM
Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

Quote:
Have you ever heard of the difference between trade value and organizational value? The Ottawa Senators made it clear that Zack Smith was part of the core moving forward by signing him to a 2 year contract, and then only one year later signing him to a long term contract extension.

His trade value is lower than it has been lately, so why are the Sens trading him when his value is lowest? Mark my words, Zack Smith will be an "elite" checking center within 3 years and I sure as hell wouldn't want the Sens to trade him for "insert team x's struggling player here". His value isn't a 1st Round Pick, but that's what would be needed for the Sens to make it feel worth while. Make sense?

Also, Mike Fisher had less time remaining on his contract, and was acquired for more than a 1st Round Pick.

Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 08:47 PM
Jaromir Jagrbombs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manked View Post
Have you ever heard of the difference between trade value and organizational value? The Ottawa Senators made it clear that Zack Smith was part of the core moving forward by signing him to a 2 year contract, and then only one year later signing him to a long term contract extension.

His trade value is lower than it has been lately, so why are the Sens trading him when his value is lowest? Mark my words, Zack Smith will be an "elite" checking center within 3 years and I sure as hell wouldn't want the Sens to trade him for "insert team x's struggling player here". His value isn't a 1st Round Pick, but that's what would be needed for the Sens to make it feel worth while. Make sense?

Also, Mike Fisher had less time remaining on his contract, and was acquired for more than a 1st Round Pick.
100% agreed. He may be snake-bitten offensively as of late, but he is the perfect 3rd line center for us now as well as going forward.

Jaromir Jagrbombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 08:55 PM
SoulAssassin

Muzzin + Fraser for Smith from LA... Would like this guy to be our 3rd line center this year. His wheels help LA, his style of play, big body, physicality and toughness suit Sutter's system as well.

Muzzin provides you with a young, middle pairing D who has size and offensive upside. Fraser is signed to a cheap contract, adds some NHL experience and can play on the bottom line. Has 2 cup rings, willing to fight, has some wheels.

SoulAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 09:13 PM
BK201

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulAssassin View Post
Muzzin + Fraser for Smith from LA... Would like this guy to be our 3rd line center this year. His wheels help LA, his style of play, big body, physicality and toughness suit Sutter's system as well.

Muzzin provides you with a young, middle pairing D who has size and offensive upside. Fraser is signed to a cheap contract, adds some NHL experience and can play on the bottom line. Has 2 cup rings, willing to fight, has some wheels.
I don't think this will be worth it fir us we actually have a but load of young defenseman and bottom 6 centers.

This kid holds a lot of value to us. I'm not trying to blow him up into some overrated center or anything but he brings a lot to the table especially for his cap hit and everything for the senators.