Carl Soderberg | Philadelphia Flyers @ Our The Boston Bruins | *1:00 PM* | NESN

Old
03-10-2013, 10:13 AM
Alicat
Charge!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithformeragent View Post
Saw Alicat's post and hopped on NHL.com to check out the leaders.

No Bruins in the top 30 in points. They're like the Footclan in TMNT.
It really feels like the Bruins are playing under the radar and honestly, a bit under rated.

I am Boston Strong

Alicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 10:15 AM
smithformeragent

Send a message via AIM to smithformeragent
Which I'm sure is just fine with them.

From watching some away broadcasts though, I can tell you than other teams have a ton of respect for them. They are pretty much feared at this point and beating them is an accomplishment.

03-10-2013, 10:18 AM
CamFan81
Derp

Balance over personal achievements.

how do you defend against it?
You don't

CamFan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 10:20 AM
Alicat
Charge!

Quote:
Which I'm sure is just fine with them.

From watching some away broadcasts though, I can tell you than other teams have a ton of respect for them. They are pretty much feared at this point and beating them is an accomplishment.
Hopefully yesterday acts as a springboard and they start rolling. Felt like we were a complete team again.

Old
03-10-2013, 10:28 AM
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Saw Alicat's post and hopped on NHL.com to check out the leaders.

No Bruins in the top 30 in points. They're like the Footclan in TMNT.
It would be unusual for a team to win a cup without having one of the 3 best performers in the league either offensively or in the net.

BNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 10:40 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

They got the win yesterday, but I'm not sure I enjoyed it. They got out to a slow start, scored a few quick ones and the did nothing but sit back. I'm not happy about that at all. Seems to me that they lacked a killer instinct and should have put the Flyers away but didn't. Lucky for the B's that the Flyers laid down. Otherwise, it could have been what we saw in the Caps game.

LSCII is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 10:43 AM
EvilElf63

I think Tuukka's play/Clode's system have made Tuukka a contender for the Vezina.

EvilElf63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 10:47 AM
smithformeragent

Send a message via AIM to smithformeragent
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNHL View Post
It would be unusual for a team to win a cup without having one of the 3 best performers in the league either offensively or in the net.
The GAAs among goaltenders is so microscopic this year, that it's tough to quantify the best goalies. Not to mention, goals against and save percentage speak largely to defensive prowess as well as goaltending.

I think that this is one of those things that makes hockey hard to understand and talk about for the non fan. You can look at a baseball box score or stat sheet and see that ok, Joe Blow has an ERA of 2.35 and 110 strikeouts. He's a great pitcher. Or so and so is batting .245, he must really be having a rough season.

Try explaining why Patrice Bergeron is the Bruins best forward to a non fan or someone who doesn't watch the games. Try explaining Clode's system (as we saw in that thread). It's easier to just say "star players/hot goalies win cups.".

smithformeragent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 10:55 AM
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
The GAAs among goaltenders is so microscopic this year, that it's tough to quantify the best goalies. Not to mention, goals against and save percentage speak largely to defensive prowess as well as goaltending.

I think that this is one of those things that makes hockey hard to understand and talk about for the non fan. You can look at a baseball box score or stat sheet and see that ok, Joe Blow has an ERA of 2.35 and 110 strikeouts. He's a great pitcher. Or so and so is batting .245, he must really be having a rough season.

Try explaining why Patrice Bergeron is the Bruins best forward to a non fan or someone who doesn't watch the games. Try explaining Clode's system (as we saw in that thread). It's easier to just say "star players/hot goalies win cups.".
I get that but usually the SC winner has the player or players near the top of traditional offensive stats and/or goaltending. Offensively the last teams to win without those offensive qualifiers were the Bs with a historic goaltender performance and the Scott Stevens Devils with the leading scorer around 57 points. Those teams are the exception and both had defensive teams with top of the mark goaltending. These Bruins fit the abnormal but it is tougher. Reminds me of my profession where Jet Blue needs to fill their planes to capacity to make a profit,much tougher, while the other major carriers earn profits by filling first class.

Old
03-10-2013, 11:03 AM
C77

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCII View Post
They got the win yesterday, but I'm not sure I enjoyed it. They got out to a slow start, scored a few quick ones and the did nothing but sit back. I'm not happy about that at all. Seems to me that they lacked a killer instinct and should have put the Flyers away but didn't. Lucky for the B's that the Flyers laid down. Otherwise, it could have been what we saw in the Caps game.
I'm not sure what it is that needs to happen for the Bruins to be stop shutting it down offensively once they get a lead.

In a lot of games this year the Bruins end up holding on for dear life with a one goal lead in the third period.

I don't like the idea of going into the playoffs and having games like the ones against Washington with no margin for error because the Bruins can't score enough.

C77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 11:08 AM
patty59

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCII View Post
I'm afraid that with this heavy schedule, we are going to see a lot of sitting back on leads.

I don't really think they sat back quite as bad as the Caps game though. They did get some chances and hit a couple posts.

Just get the W and get out of there, I think that's how its going to be this season.

patty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 11:22 AM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty59 View Post
I'm afraid that with this heavy schedule, we are going to see a lot of sitting back on leads.

I don't really think they sat back quite as bad as the Caps game though. They did get some chances and hit a couple posts.

Just get the W and get out of there, I think that's how its going to be this season.
Agreed. If it works, great...but if that's the strategy, they aren't going to get a lot of accolades and attention around the league. I'm fine with that, but their record is better than they have played, IMO.

If the strategy is to conserve energy and do enough to win and they're winning, then I guess I can't really complain other than saying I hope they are able to flip that switch for the playoffs and play balls out for 60 minutes.

Kate08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 11:27 AM
Mike Yeos Eyebrows
We attack at 11.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate08 View Post
Agreed. If it works, great...but if that's the strategy, they aren't going to get a lot of accolades and attention around the league. I'm fine with that, but their record is better than they have played, IMO.

If the strategy is to conserve energy and do enough to win and they're winning, then I guess I can't really complain other than saying I hope they are able to flip that switch for the playoffs and play balls out for 60 minutes.
That's what this season has felt like. At least, I hope that's what they're doing. That's the only explanation for a Claude Julien team blowing 2 or 3 goal leads in the 3rd period that doesn't make me very nervous.

Mike Yeos Eyebrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 12:21 PM
Alicat
Charge!

I had major déjà vu yesterday after they took the TMMOI penalty. Up 3-0. Ill stop there.

Old
03-10-2013, 12:25 PM
Ladyfan
Miss you Savvy !

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicat View Post
I had major déjà vu yesterday after they took the TMMOI penalty. Up 3-0. Ill stop there.
We did as well.

I really wanted them to get that one more goal so it wasn't 3-0.

I didn't feel good about the game until the last min.

Ladyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 12:29 PM
Spooner st

Before the game vs the Leafs on TSN thursday, someone quote Guy Boucher
" wen you play the Bruins, you don't play against a team, you play against a culture "

Spooner st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 12:47 PM
Ladyfan
Miss you Savvy !

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooner st View Post
" wen you play the Bruins, you don't play against a team, you play against a culture "
Interesting comment.

IMO the B's aren't playing as well as I think they can.

I hope they hit their stride soon.

I worry when they don't play well for a full 60 minutes.

Ladyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 12:49 PM
bobbyorr04
Bruins fan 4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty59 View Post
Ya, I don't want to see the Rangers in the playoffs in Round 1. Tough series
I wouldn't be surprised if the Rangers missed the playoffs this year!

bobbyorr04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 12:51 PM
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Love that quote

Old
03-10-2013, 12:52 PM
RussellmaniaKW

Quote:
wow, I don't know if there's a better compliment you can give a team

RussellmaniaKW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 01:16 PM
Bi Coastal Bawse*
RIP Sam Berns

Hell yeah the Bruins are under rated. They're #4 in the whole NHL for points yet no one talks about them. On NHL tonight when they win only a few minutes is spared on them when they lose it is either the same or they focus on the team that wins.

I have talked about this for awhile but there is definetely a bias against the Bruins in hockey media. That's ok tho fly under the radar win games, get to the POs make those that dislike them have to talk about them.

Tuukka has the most goalie wins in the NHL and people barely bring him up.

Bi Coastal Bawse* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 01:18 PM
BigBadBruin8
@rsox1221

Send a message via AIM to BigBadBruin8
Quote:
Here's the blurb from the Globe...

Quote:
By Fluto Shinzawa, Globe Staff
The Bruins will play their first game of the season against the Lightning tonight. The Bruins are 5-2-0 against the Lightning in their last seven games.
“When you play Boston, you don’t just play a team. You play a culture,” Tampa coach Guy Boucher said. “It’s the same culture for a while, same core players. They’ve won. They reproduce the same good things. They have a lot of depth at all positions. There’s no flaws in that lineup. They make mistakes like everybody. But if you look at the lineup, there are no weaknesses there. You can’t expect to attack their weakness and defend against their strengths.”
Anders Lindback will start in goal for the Lightning. Tuukka Rask will get the start for the Bruins.

And the link...

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/..._earn_pra.html

This is an older quote though from Boucher, from before the first B's-Bolts game this year

"I've gotta go run some little French guys over."--Shawn Thornton

BigBadBruin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 01:57 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by C77 View Post
I'm not sure what it is that needs to happen for the Bruins to be stop shutting it down offensively once they get a lead.

In a lot of games this year the Bruins end up holding on for dear life with a one goal lead in the third period.

I don't like the idea of going into the playoffs and having games like the ones against Washington with no margin for error because the Bruins can't score enough.
For that to happen, I think we'd need a coaching change...

Julien likes to sit on a lead once he thinks they have enough of one to win. Unfortunately, I don't feel as confident in that strategy as he does. Again, it wasn't a problem yesterday, because the Flyers quit once they fell down a goal.

LSCII is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 01:58 PM
BklyNBruiN

This back to back is going to be tough. Ottawa and Pittsburgh. The Pittsburgh game is the one I really want to win.

BklyNBruiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 02:31 PM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BklyNBruiN View Post
This back to back is going to be tough. Ottawa and Pittsburgh. The Pittsburgh game is the one I really want to win.
Limit Crosby/Malkin and any team has a chance with that awful D and Fleury/Vokun between the pipes who push the Flyers duo as the worst in the league IMO

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote