HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Carl Soderberg | Philadelphia Flyers @ Our The Boston Bruins | *1:00 PM* | NESN

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-10-2013, 10:28 AM
  #776
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 14,587
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithformeragent View Post
Saw Alicat's post and hopped on NHL.com to check out the leaders.

No Bruins in the top 30 in points. They're like the Footclan in TMNT.
It would be unusual for a team to win a cup without having one of the 3 best performers in the league either offensively or in the net.

BNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 10:40 AM
  #777
LSCII
Dark Cloud
 
LSCII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Central MA
Country: United States
Posts: 29,823
vCash: 500
They got the win yesterday, but I'm not sure I enjoyed it. They got out to a slow start, scored a few quick ones and the did nothing but sit back. I'm not happy about that at all. Seems to me that they lacked a killer instinct and should have put the Flyers away but didn't. Lucky for the B's that the Flyers laid down. Otherwise, it could have been what we saw in the Caps game.

LSCII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 10:43 AM
  #778
EvilElf63
Registered User
 
EvilElf63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Vermont
Country: United States
Posts: 765
vCash: 500
I think Tuukka's play/Clode's system have made Tuukka a contender for the Vezina.

EvilElf63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 10:47 AM
  #779
smithformeragent
Moderator
 
smithformeragent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Manchester NH
Country: United States
Posts: 10,736
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to smithformeragent
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNHL View Post
It would be unusual for a team to win a cup without having one of the 3 best performers in the league either offensively or in the net.
The GAAs among goaltenders is so microscopic this year, that it's tough to quantify the best goalies. Not to mention, goals against and save percentage speak largely to defensive prowess as well as goaltending.

I think that this is one of those things that makes hockey hard to understand and talk about for the non fan. You can look at a baseball box score or stat sheet and see that ok, Joe Blow has an ERA of 2.35 and 110 strikeouts. He's a great pitcher. Or so and so is batting .245, he must really be having a rough season.

Try explaining why Patrice Bergeron is the Bruins best forward to a non fan or someone who doesn't watch the games. Try explaining Clode's system (as we saw in that thread). It's easier to just say "star players/hot goalies win cups.".

__________________
That's how it starts—the fever, the rage, the feeling of powerlessness that turns good men… cruel.
smithformeragent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 10:55 AM
  #780
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 14,587
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithformeragent View Post
The GAAs among goaltenders is so microscopic this year, that it's tough to quantify the best goalies. Not to mention, goals against and save percentage speak largely to defensive prowess as well as goaltending.

I think that this is one of those things that makes hockey hard to understand and talk about for the non fan. You can look at a baseball box score or stat sheet and see that ok, Joe Blow has an ERA of 2.35 and 110 strikeouts. He's a great pitcher. Or so and so is batting .245, he must really be having a rough season.

Try explaining why Patrice Bergeron is the Bruins best forward to a non fan or someone who doesn't watch the games. Try explaining Clode's system (as we saw in that thread). It's easier to just say "star players/hot goalies win cups.".
I get that but usually the SC winner has the player or players near the top of traditional offensive stats and/or goaltending. Offensively the last teams to win without those offensive qualifiers were the Bs with a historic goaltender performance and the Scott Stevens Devils with the leading scorer around 57 points. Those teams are the exception and both had defensive teams with top of the mark goaltending. These Bruins fit the abnormal but it is tougher. Reminds me of my profession where Jet Blue needs to fill their planes to capacity to make a profit,much tougher, while the other major carriers earn profits by filling first class.

BNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 11:03 AM
  #781
C77
Registered User
 
C77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Junior's Farm
Country: United States
Posts: 13,803
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCII View Post
They got the win yesterday, but I'm not sure I enjoyed it. They got out to a slow start, scored a few quick ones and the did nothing but sit back. I'm not happy about that at all. Seems to me that they lacked a killer instinct and should have put the Flyers away but didn't. Lucky for the B's that the Flyers laid down. Otherwise, it could have been what we saw in the Caps game.
I'm not sure what it is that needs to happen for the Bruins to be stop shutting it down offensively once they get a lead.

In a lot of games this year the Bruins end up holding on for dear life with a one goal lead in the third period.

I don't like the idea of going into the playoffs and having games like the ones against Washington with no margin for error because the Bruins can't score enough.

C77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 11:08 AM
  #782
patty59
***************
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Lethbridge, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,678
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCII View Post
They got the win yesterday, but I'm not sure I enjoyed it. They got out to a slow start, scored a few quick ones and the did nothing but sit back. I'm not happy about that at all. Seems to me that they lacked a killer instinct and should have put the Flyers away but didn't. Lucky for the B's that the Flyers laid down. Otherwise, it could have been what we saw in the Caps game.
I'm afraid that with this heavy schedule, we are going to see a lot of sitting back on leads.

I don't really think they sat back quite as bad as the Caps game though. They did get some chances and hit a couple posts.

Just get the W and get out of there, I think that's how its going to be this season.

patty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 11:22 AM
  #783
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Kate08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Medford MA
Country: United States
Posts: 18,032
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by patty59 View Post
I'm afraid that with this heavy schedule, we are going to see a lot of sitting back on leads.

I don't really think they sat back quite as bad as the Caps game though. They did get some chances and hit a couple posts.

Just get the W and get out of there, I think that's how its going to be this season.
Agreed. If it works, great...but if that's the strategy, they aren't going to get a lot of accolades and attention around the league. I'm fine with that, but their record is better than they have played, IMO.

If the strategy is to conserve energy and do enough to win and they're winning, then I guess I can't really complain other than saying I hope they are able to flip that switch for the playoffs and play balls out for 60 minutes.

Kate08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 11:27 AM
  #784
Mike Yeos Eyebrows
The O'Reilly Rule
 
Mike Yeos Eyebrows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Fall River
Country: United States
Posts: 17,972
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate08 View Post
Agreed. If it works, great...but if that's the strategy, they aren't going to get a lot of accolades and attention around the league. I'm fine with that, but their record is better than they have played, IMO.

If the strategy is to conserve energy and do enough to win and they're winning, then I guess I can't really complain other than saying I hope they are able to flip that switch for the playoffs and play balls out for 60 minutes.
That's what this season has felt like. At least, I hope that's what they're doing. That's the only explanation for a Claude Julien team blowing 2 or 3 goal leads in the 3rd period that doesn't make me very nervous.

Mike Yeos Eyebrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 12:21 PM
  #785
Alicat
City of Champions!
 
Alicat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Titletown
Country: United States
Posts: 24,353
vCash: 500
I had major déjà vu yesterday after they took the TMMOI penalty. Up 3-0. Ill stop there.

__________________
The Butler did it. In the end zone. With a pick!

I am Boston Strong
6.15.11
4.15.13

Alicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 12:25 PM
  #786
Ladyfan
Miss you Savvy !
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: next to the bench
Country: Scotland
Posts: 28,889
vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicat View Post
I had major déjà vu yesterday after they took the TMMOI penalty. Up 3-0. Ill stop there.
We did as well.

I really wanted them to get that one more goal so it wasn't 3-0.

I didn't feel good about the game until the last min.

__________________
Winter is Coming...
Ladyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 12:29 PM
  #787
Spooner st
Registered User
 
Spooner st's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,524
vCash: 500
Before the game vs the Leafs on TSN thursday, someone quote Guy Boucher
" wen you play the Bruins, you don't play against a team, you play against a culture "

Spooner st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 12:47 PM
  #788
Ladyfan
Miss you Savvy !
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: next to the bench
Country: Scotland
Posts: 28,889
vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooner st View Post
Before the game vs the Leafs on TSN thursday, someone quote Guy Boucher
" wen you play the Bruins, you don't play against a team, you play against a culture "
Interesting comment.

IMO the B's aren't playing as well as I think they can.

I hope they hit their stride soon.

I worry when they don't play well for a full 60 minutes.

Ladyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 12:49 PM
  #789
bobbyorr04
Bruins fan 4ever
 
bobbyorr04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,963
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by patty59 View Post
Ya, I don't want to see the Rangers in the playoffs in Round 1. Tough series
I wouldn't be surprised if the Rangers missed the playoffs this year!

bobbyorr04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 12:51 PM
  #790
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 14,587
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooner st View Post
Before the game vs the Leafs on TSN thursday, someone quote Guy Boucher
" wen you play the Bruins, you don't play against a team, you play against a culture "
Love that quote

BNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 12:52 PM
  #791
RussellmaniaKW
Registered User
 
RussellmaniaKW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 7,935
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooner st View Post
Before the game vs the Leafs on TSN thursday, someone quote Guy Boucher
" wen you play the Bruins, you don't play against a team, you play against a culture "
wow, I don't know if there's a better compliment you can give a team

RussellmaniaKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 01:16 PM
  #792
Bi Coastal Bawse*
RIP Sam Berns
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Bay Area, California
Country: United States
Posts: 10,281
vCash: 500
Hell yeah the Bruins are under rated. They're #4 in the whole NHL for points yet no one talks about them. On NHL tonight when they win only a few minutes is spared on them when they lose it is either the same or they focus on the team that wins.

I have talked about this for awhile but there is definetely a bias against the Bruins in hockey media. That's ok tho fly under the radar win games, get to the POs make those that dislike them have to talk about them.

Tuukka has the most goalie wins in the NHL and people barely bring him up.

Bi Coastal Bawse* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 01:18 PM
  #793
BigBadBruin8
@rsox1221
 
BigBadBruin8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Shrewsbury, MA
Country: Ireland
Posts: 8,776
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BigBadBruin8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooner st View Post
Before the game vs the Leafs on TSN thursday, someone quote Guy Boucher
" wen you play the Bruins, you don't play against a team, you play against a culture "
Here's the blurb from the Globe...

Quote:
By Fluto Shinzawa, Globe Staff
The Bruins will play their first game of the season against the Lightning tonight. The Bruins are 5-2-0 against the Lightning in their last seven games.
“When you play Boston, you don’t just play a team. You play a culture,” Tampa coach Guy Boucher said. “It’s the same culture for a while, same core players. They’ve won. They reproduce the same good things. They have a lot of depth at all positions. There’s no flaws in that lineup. They make mistakes like everybody. But if you look at the lineup, there are no weaknesses there. You can’t expect to attack their weakness and defend against their strengths.”
Anders Lindback will start in goal for the Lightning. Tuukka Rask will get the start for the Bruins.

And the link...


http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/..._earn_pra.html

This is an older quote though from Boucher, from before the first B's-Bolts game this year

__________________
"The only thing that beats winning [in Toronto] is winning in Montreal.--Aaron Ward

"I've gotta go run some little French guys over."--Shawn Thornton

BigBadBruin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 01:57 PM
  #794
LSCII
Dark Cloud
 
LSCII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Central MA
Country: United States
Posts: 29,823
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by C77 View Post
I'm not sure what it is that needs to happen for the Bruins to be stop shutting it down offensively once they get a lead.

In a lot of games this year the Bruins end up holding on for dear life with a one goal lead in the third period.

I don't like the idea of going into the playoffs and having games like the ones against Washington with no margin for error because the Bruins can't score enough.
For that to happen, I think we'd need a coaching change...

Julien likes to sit on a lead once he thinks they have enough of one to win. Unfortunately, I don't feel as confident in that strategy as he does. Again, it wasn't a problem yesterday, because the Flyers quit once they fell down a goal.

LSCII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 01:58 PM
  #795
BklyNBruiN
HFBoards Sponsor
 
BklyNBruiN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: BKLYN N.Y.
Country: United States
Posts: 11,286
vCash: 500
This back to back is going to be tough. Ottawa and Pittsburgh. The Pittsburgh game is the one I really want to win.

BklyNBruiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 02:31 PM
  #796
ODAAT
Registered User
 
ODAAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 31,739
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BklyNBruiN View Post
This back to back is going to be tough. Ottawa and Pittsburgh. The Pittsburgh game is the one I really want to win.
Limit Crosby/Malkin and any team has a chance with that awful D and Fleury/Vokun between the pipes who push the Flyers duo as the worst in the league IMO

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 02:42 PM
  #797
Numbah4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,225
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BklyNBruiN View Post
This back to back is going to be tough. Ottawa and Pittsburgh. The Pittsburgh game is the one I really want to win.
Two games in Pittsburgh this week. WTF?? Both back to back after traveling. I know we caught a break with Montreal and Toronto. Just saying. I'm looking at them as a 2 game series. Would like to split.

Numbah4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 03:42 PM
  #798
ap3lovr
Registered User
 
ap3lovr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Iqaluit
Posts: 4,516
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbah4 View Post
Two games in Pittsburgh this week. WTF?? Both back to back after traveling. I know we caught a break with Montreal and Toronto. Just saying. I'm looking at them as a 2 game series. Would like to split.
Something happened to them in that Philly series. They haven't been the same since. It is like Philly came in and they forgot how to play defense.

ap3lovr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 03:52 PM
  #799
Numbah4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,225
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap3lovr View Post
Something happened to them in that Philly series. They haven't been the same since. It is like Philly came in and they forgot how to play defense.
They had a game like that last year. Went 13-0-1 Gave up a snowman against Ottawa. Finished 5-4 but allowed 36 goals in
those 9 games. And, then the collapse against Philly 30 goals in
6 games. Let's hope for deja vu all over again as Yogi might say.

Numbah4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 04:14 PM
  #800
TCL40
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 20,516
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
Doesn`t bother me at all, never has, one of the worst stats out there if using as an indicator or trying to get a read on a game. I was watching the game and thinking that had the Flyers players focused more on playing the game rather than ALWAYS finishing their checks, their team D would be so much better. Had a stat at our Junior A game here a few weeks back where our boys, so it said was outhit almost 2:1.....Mooseheads won the game by a touchdown

I enjoy watching a player finish a check, I can`t stand when a player insists on doing so when it takes them out of position, and the Flyers seem to have it engrained within them that they have to do this. I`m sure we as fans would be mildy entertained if every Bruin finished every check, but I`ll wager we wouldn`t be as entertained watching our goalie(s) get peppered as our team would give up constant odd man chances.
I totally agree.

#1 what counts as a hit from arena to arena varies.

#2 Puck possession dominance often means your players are going to take more hits since the point of a hit is to get the puck from the guy carrying it. So being outhit can often just mean your team dominated in puck possession.

Eyeballs on the game tell you more about how physical a team is game in and game out than the hit stat.

I do think the Bruins have seemed to be less physical this season, but they have also been pretty good at backchecking and in the Flyers game at least the Bruins benefited from a ton of turnovers by the Flyers (I actually think in that game at least the Flyers were really bad with turnovers).

TCL40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:53 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.