HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pittsburgh Penguins after 24 games (2013)

Old
03-08-2013, 07:08 PM
PitPenguin

vCash: 500
Pittsburgh Penguins after 24 games (2013)

This is my first post, so feel free to critique me in any way. If you think I said anything wrong, please tell me. But for now I want to talk about the Penguins, at the mid season point this year.

Pros, so far…
The positives are pretty obvious; Sidney Crosby has become the player people expected him to be whenever he returns from his time away from hockey. Chris Kunitz has shown this in his production level. He has always been one of my personal favorites & he has shown Crosby what he learned while Crosby has been gone, by playing with Malkin. By taking a page out of James Neal’s play book scoring from everywhere.
Crosby 39 points leading the League. Neal – 16 goals, Kunitz 15 goals. Outstanding.
-(Also, MAF has played well this year as well, the playoffs will tell a lot however.)
-Paul Martin has played at a higher level than I think I expected him to be at when we first signed him and that is great considering the first two years. He was Ok when he got here however everyone knows about last year and I gain respect for him for not wanting out.
-Simon Despres is becoming an outstanding Defensive men in the NHL, the Pens have a 2:1 win ratio with him in the lineup and a below .500 record without him. Now I do not think it is all him, but this stat can only help his confidence after being a healthy scratch a few times this year. Finally, Robert Burtozzo has also been a pleasant surprise as well considering he is making it hard for Disco Dan to make him the scratch every night.
Cons
Everyone in Pittsburgh knows the big elephant, I mean pig, and in the room is obvious Tyler Kennedy. Only having 3 goals so far after 24 games doesn’t even make me that upset either. Considering that stat it would be about 12 or 13 goals in an 82 schedule and that’s what I expect from him. But before that 3rd goal in Philly, he has taken bad penalties, forced dumb turnovers, and has clogged areas on the ice slowing down his own teams offensive possessions making it difficult to play their game. I feel the only reason he is still in the lineup is due to the fact Dan loves TK.
-Next the Tanner Glass experiment has been a failure, no points, no real grit, nothing really helping the team. He has had some entertaining fights and performances but nothing to really help contribute. Finally a personal favorite, Engo. Oh how I have enjoyed his team here, but it’s become pretty apparent he has either already lost a step or his head isn’t in the game. He hasn’t fought as much, he hasn’t hit as much, he’s on the ice for almost every goal with his face looking like he is a deer in the headlights, he doesn’t win battles in the corners, need I go on.
-To conclude the last person I would like to discuss is Brooks Orpik, now some has said his play has diminished and I would agree, but I do not think it is all on him. He is getting old but he knows what time of the year it is and I believe he will turn it on in the Playoffs. He is 2nd in the league is block shots and plays a lot of minutes a night. However he is HEALTHY and in shape so my trust factor is still there for him when push comes to shove.

Next, I will talk about a couple things: What I think the Lines should be, what decisions management has made so far this year, and what I think is in store for the future.

What I think the lines should be:
Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Bennett-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Sutter-Jeffrey
Adams -Vitale-Kennedy
Letang – Orpik
Martin – Eaton
Niskanen – Burtozzo
(Engelland)
MAF
Tomas Vokoun

Since the Flyers Eliminated Pittsburgh last Year…
Ben Lovejoy (5th round pick) – Not a big fan. He plays over 17 minutes a game in Anaheim with 6 assists and a +3 +/- since joining the team. I am glad he is getting a chance to play for a playoff contender at the moment. But after seeing him develop here and knowing Shero’s past trade record, just disappointed in what we got in return. (He’s no GoGo, but Neal and Nisky was spectacular just hoping for a player on par with Benny not another pick.)
Eric Tangradi – (That Other pick) Now, no one is saying Eric is working out well in WPG only having 1 goal in 12 games with about half of those games playing under 8 minutes on the Ice. A 7th rounder seems fair after witnessing his stint here in Pittsburgh. Eric has a lot of potential with his size, strength and skill set, yet if you ask me something is missing there. He neglected going to the front of the net and only felt willing at times to go into the corners, so this one felt right. But there is another player on the team I would have rather sent there in his place.
Tanner Glass – (Oh boy) 24GP = 0G, 0A & a -8. I’m not expecting much but still. If I was a GM I would be sadly disappointed in what I have seen. No matter what how much he does for you in the locker room or on the ice keeping everyone in check, he has not done anything really to help the team win. He even got time earlier in the year with Malkin and Neal and that didn’t help much either. Like I said before I wish we could have kept Tangradi on the 4th line and shipped Tanner back to WPG.
Tomas Vokoun – We pretty much have seen what we are going to see. It’s either hit or Miss with this guy. He is a perfect 1A goalie and that’s all we can ask for. He has been a constant goalie in the league for over a decade and every place he goes they say the same things about him, He’s either on or awful. Pittsburgh has already seen both and for a 7th rounder, I can accept that for at least 2 years.
Future
Jarome Iginla – Now his presence alone would help a lot & his skill level and chemistry with Crosby would make without a doubt the best two lines in Hockey, but for the cost and him being a rental. I am not a fan of this. Pittsburgh is already FIRST in the league with goals and there are rumors Iginla is willing to go somewhere for this year and then resign back in Calgary for less the year after. Is that worth a pick or defensive prospect, I do not think so?
Jack Johnson – You’re silly; Columbus and Pittsburgh would not do this. (Simon is the future unless someone over pays greatly, looks to have too much chemistry with Letang at the moment)
Matt Cullen – I’d like it more than Devin Setoguchi but I would never over pay for him. I’m talking draft picks and a lower tier prospect, not worth it.
Jordan Leopold – Pittsburgh has enough 5 and 6 Dmen, they need more of a top 4.

With the money have they Left
there are two needs I feel Pittsburgh has to improve, if they want to win Lord Stanley. The first is a given, a top 4 Dman and not a puck moving one. They need a new Rob Scuderi type to fill in the gaps. Every other game, I am beginning to notice 4 to 5 minutes (Maybe not in a row) every period where the Pens Defense just decides to play the puck and not the man. Another Defensive minded presence would at least take a chunk out of that time to the point where it’s not noticeable anymore. The other, has to be a new Veteran presence in the locker room. The Penguins did great when they were the underdog/kids with Billy Guerin, Gary Roberts & Sergi Gonchar leading the way. But ever since they become the favorites, they haven’t had the play that has been there done that before in this situation to help keep everyone level headed in the hard times.
*Keeping my Fingers Crossed maybe they can grab one player that fills both of those roles.

Players I hope the Penguins go after:
Keith Yandle & Dustin Byfuglien - Do Not Think This Will Ever Happen! But one can dream
Mark Streit, Stephane Robidas & Shane O'Brien – Realistic as long as they are not over paid for.
Ryan Whitney & Robyn Regehr – If desperate on Deadline day.

Deadline Day: (Rental Potentials)
Kyle Okposo: Not Veteran, but still would like it.
Pierre-Marc Bouchard, Ray Whitney or Milan Hejduk

What do you think?

PitPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 07:24 PM
solitary

Nice analysis. As someone who doesn't usually venture onto the team boards it is nice to have this kind of insight from someone who follows the Pens alot.

I think Iginla as a Penguin would be a dream. Glass does have to go, Kennedy on the third line would be better imo.

solitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 07:29 PM
domaug*
Flahr Pahr

solid first post (technically it's your first post) and welcome to HFBoards

don't worry about the main board "regulars". the Pens are one of the more hated teams on this site and that's apparent on the main board.

i agree with just about everything in your post except the deadline-day rental wish list. i don't think the Isles will consider moving Okposo to a division rival. Hejduk is almost a lock to stay with his team as is Ray Whitney (i think). also, i wouldn't be interested in PMB unless he was cheap enough to acquire and he wasn't their plan A guy.

domaug* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 07:34 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

I think you can go on about Manbearpig & the lines all you want. The number one problem is defense.

We are bad on defense & bad on the PK. We are 23rd in the league in Goals Against Per Game Part of it is because of the 20th ranked PK. Bottom line if the team, not just Orpik & Kennedy don't start pulling it together defensively we will be darn lucky to get past the 1st round.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 07:53 PM
Noah23

Despres - Letang
Martin - Orpik
Nisky - Bortuozzo

Noah23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 08:03 PM
PensBandwagonerNo272
the march

Good analysis dude.

The Pens have a good thing going.

Now all I want is Iggy.

PensBandwagonerNo272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 08:03 PM
Ogelthorpe
Who do you play for?

Very solid post.

Personally, I don't want to see a Ryan Whitney part Deux. Also, I would like to see Setoguchi and Clutterbuck if we make a deal with Minnesota.

My lines would look like this.

Kunitz Crosby Seto
Bennett Malkin Neal
Cooke Sutter Clutterbuck
Adams Jeffrey Dupuis

Despres Letang
Martin Orpik
Eaton Engo

This would assume Nisky and TK Going to Minnesota. I would be up for trading Orpik instead of Nisky, if we could get a defensive dman who can be tough in front in a deal somewhere. I think Dumoulin is ready to be the "new Orpik" next year.

All in all great post....welcome!

Ogelthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 08:27 PM
Long Duk Dong
Sammich King

Hell of a first post. Bravo sir.

Long Duk Dong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 08:30 PM
HotCoffey

I'm curious as to why you don't put Despres in the lineup? "winning record" with him in the lineup aside, we absolutely NEED him against quicker teams. I think he's been our 2nd best defensive outside of what Paul Martin was doing earlier in the year and he could easily be a top pairing with Letang.

Orpik's played stronger with Martin this year, although he still isn't playing great hockey. He's looked out of it when paired with Tanger. My honest opinion is put him on the 3rd pairing and let Despres finally come up, that leaves Engo and Bort on the bench which I think is only acceptable for Bort right now in his career. Safe to say some move has to be made, or see what you can get for Orpik in the trade market. I'm sure the opposite will happen and we'll let despres or bort go for a winger, and keep the vets dan likes.

But I could be wrong.

Last edited by HotCoffey: 03-08-2013 at 08:32 PM. Reason: +
HotCoffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 08:52 PM
plaidchuck

Cons:

Nonexistent defense.

plaidchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 10:00 PM
PitPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotCoffey View Post
I'm curious as to why you don't put Despres in the lineup? "winning record" with him in the lineup aside, we absolutely NEED him against quicker teams. I think he's been our 2nd best defensive outside of what Paul Martin was doing earlier in the year and he could easily be a top pairing with Letang.

Orpik's played stronger with Martin this year, although he still isn't playing great hockey. He's looked out of it when paired with Tanger. My honest opinion is put him on the 3rd pairing and let Despres finally come up, that leaves Engo and Bort on the bench which I think is only acceptable for Bort right now in his career. Safe to say some move has to be made, or see what you can get for Orpik in the trade market. I'm sure the opposite will happen and we'll let despres or bort go for a winger, and keep the vets dan likes.

But I could be wrong.
I do not think our Defense is bad, I think they lack that individual or catalystistic event that brings them to realize how they have to play. Hopefully last night in Philly was the moment, but who knows. I still think we need a top 4 Dman though for the playoffs. If they don't...

-If Orpik is on the roster for the playoffs, I believe he has to be with Martin only way he can play at a high level (it appears lately)
-Matt Nisky, is a great 5. As much as I enjoy watching him, if he is your 5th then your D core is solid.
-Letang (could get Despres honestly) if there isn't a better option at the deadline, I believe the Pens need to start using the pairing now if they hope to make it great by the playoffs though.
-& Burtozzo has to be the 6th man. Engo, hasn't performed this year and Burtozzo is steadily improving more and more to the point where he could be top 4 on another team.

I would love Despres to be in the line up, if they don't do anything at the deadline for their D. I just don't like how they are using him, if he is not in the Top 4 he should be on the Baby Pens getting those minutes. The competition might not be the same but the workout is and that's what is most important right now. Basically, if he is not with Letang developing that chemistry, he needs to be sent down.

Old
03-08-2013, 10:26 PM
PitPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
I think you can go on about Manbearpig & the lines all you want. The number one problem is defense.

We are bad on defense & bad on the PK. We are 23rd in the league in Goals Against Per Game Part of it is because of the 20th ranked PK. Bottom line if the team, not just Orpik & Kennedy don't start pulling it together defensively we will be darn lucky to get past the 1st round.
Well who do you think we should get then?

*ALL PLAYERS FROM TEAMS THAT ARE non-RIVAL (EXCEPT DEVILS & ISLES)
Possible D Providers

Won't Happen - Jay Bouwmeester & Dustin Byfuglien (Way to much in price)
Dream Scenario - Keith Yandle (Cost to much, but one can dream right)

Dislikes, Every person I've heard on the block -
Jordan Leopold, Lubomir Visnovsky, Ryan Whitney, Matt Greene, Scott Hannan, Henrik Tallinder, Roman Polak, John-Michael Liles, Michael Komisarek
(All overrated, to old, or on the team they are on for a reason)

Possible, REAL PLAYERS I BELIEVE SHERO HAS ALREADY TALKED ABOUT
Ron Hainsey, Ladislav Smid, Robyn Regehr, Derek Morris

I'd like to see them try - Maybe a secret trade no one is talking about
Bryan Allen - Reunite the insurance line from TEAM USA at the Olympics with Brooks Orpik
Niklas Hjalmarsson - Bhawks have 8 strong Dmen right now and Johnny Oduya took his place in their top 4 last year
Shane O'Brien - Just resigned in Colorado, however having a subpar year and see a Nisky change in him, if he is moved to the right team and a young Brooks Orpik like potential in his play.
Stephane Robidas - Old veteran with a run or two left in him, plus with his contract being up soon, won't be as expensive to resign. (PLUS Morrow and Roy have expiring contracts there to, be easy to get one of them as well in a deal.)
Clayton Stoner - BIG shot blocking Dman is exactly what he need and not to mention the other players we could negotiate for with the Wild since we have a great relationship and needs for one another.
Doug Murray/Dan Boyle - (I think Boyle would cost to much) but face it eventually the Sharks will have to rebuild. I'd give up a pick or two for Murray and a prospect/pick for Boyle. Either one would help for different reasons. Murray can provide that protective like aura around the crease while Boyle could bring the Veteran presence Gonchar took with him.

WE BETTER NOT BRING BACK SERGI GONCHAR THOUGH.... WAY TO OLD!