HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Ryan Smyth: The most useless player on the team

Old
10-02-2013, 08:03 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Tastes like Chicken

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by VayaConDios View Post
smyth is not a 1st liner i cant believe how much ice time he had i was at the game and his penalty was an embarrassment
1st liner? He's barely an NHLer anymore. I wish those around him would help him see the writing on the wall. He's DONE, SO DONE.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 09:01 AM
jadeddog

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
1st liner? He's barely an NHLer anymore. I wish those around him would help him see the writing on the wall. He's DONE, SO DONE.
yeah, he should be a "every 2nd game 4th liner" at this point.... just a terrible, terrible hockey player at this point.... hopefully once RNH/gagner are back, smyth isn't playing very much anymore.... hard to see how jones, pitlick, eager or hamilton wouldn't be significant upgrades over smyth at this point (and that is pretty sad, considering none of them are really NHLers either)

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 09:04 AM
bsmith14

Drop Smytty and role with these lines:

Joensuu - Hall - Hemsky
Perron - Arco - Eberle
Eager/Pitlick - Gordon - Yakupov
Gazdic - Acton - Brown

I can't handle seeing #94 play anymore

bsmith14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 09:06 AM
AVE MAN

Wouldn't surprise me if Smytty announces his retirement this season. He's been a true warrior throughout his career so I hate to talk bad about the guy but unfortunately he's done.

AVE MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 09:07 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith14 View Post
Drop Smytty and role with these lines:

Joensuu - Hall - Hemsky
Perron - Arco - Eberle
Eager/Pitlick - Gordon - Yakupov
Gazdic - Acton - Brown

I can't handle seeing #94 play anymore
For now I'd simply swap Hall and Gordon. Yak needs to be with better players. He and Hall were explosive last year together, throw Joensuu out there with them and look out.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 09:09 AM
Hammer8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVE MAN View Post
Wouldn't surprise me if Smytty announces his retirement this season. He's been a true warrior throughout his career so I hate to talk bad about the guy but unfortunately he's done.
Agree 100%.

Hammer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 09:10 AM
shogun99

Smyth needs to be reduced to 4th line minutes with PP time. Either that or put him out back and give him the ol' Old Yeller.

shogun99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 09:11 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
He doesn't have enough pride to call it quits. Many players have just realized they don't have it anymore and quit the game, even half-way through seasons.

Smyth continues to grovel around with his big ego - I can't tell if it's because he thinks he's still a good player or because he wants the paycheque.

Brett Hull post-2005 lockout played 5 games with PHX before he realized he didn't have it anymore - he promptly quit. Now that's going out a hero.

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 09:17 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Tastes like Chicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perfect Human View Post
He doesn't have enough pride to call it quits. Many players have just realized they don't have it anymore and quit the game, even half-way through seasons.

Smyth continues to grovel around with his big ego - I can't tell if it's because he thinks he's still a good player or because he wants the paycheque.

Brett Hull post-2005 lockout played 5 games with PHX before he realized he didn't have it anymore - he promptly quit. Now that's going out a hero.
This is the sense I get too. It wouldn't surprise me if the Oilers decide he is as awful as he looks and he spends extended time in the pressbox that he would say something to media about not being allowed to "contribute" or some such thing

Old
10-02-2013, 09:34 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Old
10-02-2013, 09:53 AM
The Last Dynasty
Big #1 C

Yak playing less than old-man Smyth is inexcusable

The Last Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 09:57 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

FWIW we still have one amnesty buyout available right now...signing available UFA's becomes an easier option with ~2.5M freed up. Here's who's available:

Wellwood, Miettinen, Connolly, Nichol, Langenbrunner, Fedotenko, Gagne, Knuble, Latendresse, Ponikarovsky, Anthony Stewart, Prospal, Kobasew, Mayers, LaRose, Hecht, Pandolfo, Lombardi, Dvorak, Steckel

Old
10-02-2013, 10:22 AM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellacious View Post
There is many teams in pro sports that hire their own!

cry me a river!

Smyth is what he is, an ageing vet warrior. People who call him horrible should step on the ice and get introduced to the reality of he is way better at it then you ever well.

So cry me a river!
Pro sports teams that hire their own are terribly managed

And the second statement is some of the worst logic I've ever read on this forum

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 10:31 AM
FlameChampion

It wouldnt be so bad if they just reduced his role. Like played him on the 4th line.

Problem is that just play him way too much. I mean he wasnt having a great game, and Eakins just kept throwing him out there. Same as they did with Horcoff. They would throw Horcoff out on the powerplays, last minute of play when trying to tie it up. I just dont understand the coaching staff for this team. I was hoping Eakins would be better, but hes already making bonehead decisions. Just 1 game, hopefully better against Vancouver.

FlameChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 10:41 AM
frag2

I hope he gets waived when Nuge is back...and Calgary picks him up.

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 10:43 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 688
Quote:
FWIW we still have one amnesty buyout available right now...signing available UFA's becomes an easier option with ~2.5M freed up. Here's who's available:

Wellwood, Miettinen, Connolly, Nichol, Langenbrunner, Fedotenko, Gagne, Knuble, Latendresse, Ponikarovsky, Anthony Stewart, Prospal, Kobasew, Mayers, LaRose, Hecht, Pandolfo, Lombardi, Dvorak, Steckel
But the amnesty period is over until next summer.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 10:44 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Tastes like Chicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameChampion View Post
It wouldnt be so bad if they just reduced his role. Like played him on the 4th line.

Problem is that just play him way too much. I mean he wasnt having a great game, and Eakins just kept throwing him out there. Same as they did with Horcoff. They would throw Horcoff out on the powerplays, last minute of play when trying to tie it up. I just dont understand the coaching staff for this team. I was hoping Eakins would be better, but hes already making bonehead decisions. Just 1 game, hopefully better against Vancouver.
Yeah, no he won't be better, because he's DONE as a player, he was done 2 years ago.

The rest of that argument is a cop-out because you're a fan of what he "was", yes he gets out there, but at some point he might have be able to look in the mirror and say "Holy **** I can't keep up and this getting to hard for me", which he has shown a total lack of ability to do. For **** sakes, as recent as 2 years ago he thought of himself as a top-6 forward. He's awful and a millstone on the team. The only way he can salvage his season is retire.

Ryan Smyth can't keep up and Ryan Smyth is Done as an NHL hockey player.

Old
10-02-2013, 10:44 AM
Red Deer Rebel

Quote:
It would surprise me.

Eakins has been giving Smyth first line minutes all preseason, and has referred to Smyth-Hall-Hemsky as our "best line". He has publicly stated that Smyth is the 'best at doing this' and the 'best at doing that'.

He receives more ice time than Yakupov, and the same amount of PP time as Perron and Eberle.

Eakins has stated publicly that he can't understand the criticism of Smyth, and has now handed him an "A" to reward him for a 'great preseason'.

Smyth is pulling in $2.25 million, the coach loves him, and he is being showered with butter minutes on our top line.

Why would he retire?

Red Deer Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 10:46 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Tastes like Chicken

THe Oilers, once good players come back, need to possible do what Tampa did to Dave Andyrchuk (their Freakin' Captain) a year after they won the Cup, he wasn't good enough, they waived him and he retired a hero.

If a team can do that to their Captain a year after he hoisted the Cup (technically 2 years, lockout blah blah), then the Oilers can do it to Smyth and not look back.

Old
10-02-2013, 10:46 AM
NugeFan

Quote:

Love the idea!

NugeFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 11:24 AM
Gord
Go Esks!

vCash: 1546
Quote:
I would be shocked if he retired during the season as if Smyth was that self aware, he would have retired last year.
I don't think he gets how much his skills have eroded compared to what he thinks he can still do.

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 11:35 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by NugeFan View Post
Love the idea!
Not possible. No more free buyouts until the summer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
I would be shocked if he retired during the season as if Smyth was that self aware, he would have retired last year.
I don't think he gets how much his skills have eroded compared to what he thinks he can still do.
Agreed. Smyth still has an ego and thinks he's got stuff in the tank. I bet he wants another contract after this one. I hope MacT has the stones to tell him no.

And that Eakins wises up to how bad he was last night. Benching Yakupov and playing the **** out of Smyth was inexcusable, even for a rookie head coach.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 11:37 AM
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire

vCash: 157
maybe theyre trying to shame smyth into retirement?

BoldNewLettuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 11:39 AM
CornKicker
Locked Out

vCash: 50
as someone who has a ryan smyth jersey from the 90's i wish he would just retire. its not a coincidence that hall played his worst games tied to that schlub.

peace out ryan thanks for everything

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 11:42 AM
ZenOil
Russian Pride

Smyth isn't going to retire, nor will his crap play result in him loosing his roster spot. There is a reason the Oilers have been a joke of a franchise for the better part of 20 years.

ZenOil is offline   Reply With Quote