HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan Smyth: The most useless player on the team

Old
10-04-2013, 04:24 AM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 50
Either you put Smyth into an offensive role and he produces, or you put him in the bottom six and he doesn't.

With the current injuries, it makes more sense to put him in the offensive role. With Hall shifted to center, our winger depth changes.

Just let him play his last year in style.

AlowlyOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 04:45 AM
MIL OIL

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan View Post
Either you put Smyth into an offensive role and he produces, or you put him in the bottom six and he doesn't.

With the current injuries, it makes more sense to put him in the offensive role. With Hall shifted to center, our winger depth changes.

So many thing wrong with this... Just NOOOOO!!

MIL OIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 05:23 AM
Up the Irons

vCash: 500
i dunno guys, he must bring something that Eakins likes that we, without the hockey knowledge of a professional coach, just can't see.

could it be we are imagining how bad he is because we expect him to be bad? he's good on the boards; he's good on the breakout; he knows where to be; he knows who his man is on a d-zone faceoff.

just a thought

Up the Irons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 05:58 AM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustE View Post
i dunno guys, he must bring something that Eakins likes that we, without the hockey knowledge of a professional coach, just can't see.

could it be we are imagining how bad he is because we expect him to be bad? he's good on the boards; he's good on the breakout; he knows where to be; he knows who his man is on a d-zone faceoff.

just a thought
He kills plays by not being able to receive or make a pass to the level of his linemates, he takes dumb penalties in the neutral and offensive zones, he's too slow to retrieve pucks.

He's a big bag of useless with remnants of fundamentals which don't matter when your a 1LW and playing with the teams best player. Scoring goals is made that much tougher for Hall and Hemsky by being saddled with a sub-NHL skater.

Honestly, as scared as I am by two months of Acrobello in the top-six, I would move Hall back to LW and play RNH at 1C in his place just to dismiss Smyth from the top line.

SK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 07:38 AM
MIL OIL

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustE View Post

just a thought
I don't need to be a professional coach to see that he his hurting a team. He can't keep up and he isn't a top 6 forward in the NHL. I love the guy and yes he's got some good habits but those habits don't put you in a top 6 spot and a first overall draft pick that lead the team in goals on a 3rd line. No insult to Eakins but when these injuries are over, he better make some changes cause he's going to lose support fast.

Old
10-04-2013, 07:54 AM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

vCash: 610
Torches and pitchforks it is, then.

Psycho Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 08:09 AM
MIL OIL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Dad View Post
Torches and pitchforks it is, then.
I'll give him the benefit of the doubt right now cause we are injured, but he can't honestly think Smyth is first line material??.. or can he.

Old
10-04-2013, 09:42 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
So Rainy

Quote:

The MASSIVE flaw in your logic is the idea that people are concerned about Smyth's "production".

We aren't, we're concerned that he is FINISHED AS AN NHL PLAYER AT ANY SPOT IN THE LINE UP. Can't skate, Can't Keep up, Can't make plays, takes stupid penalties.

Ryan Smyth is FINISHED, DONE, as an NHL player, the problem is no one around him has the balls to tell him what an embarrassment he's becoming.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 09:54 AM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIL OIL View Post
I'll give him the benefit of the doubt right now cause we are injured, but he can't honestly think Smyth is first line material??.. or can he.
No, Smyth isn't, Eakins knows that. But he needs veteran wingers for his very inexperienced winger-turned-center until reinforcements arrive. Read Eakins' interviews. This is temporary, to give us a chance to win without our 1C and 2C.

Blowing up at Smyth, or at Eakins, is showing a complete lack of understanding of line chemistry.

Old
10-04-2013, 10:08 AM
Alex87

What if we all agreed on this statement of facts:

- Ryan Smyth is not the player he once was
- Without a doubt, this needs to be Smyth's last year in the NHL (if not sooner)
- Ryan Smyth has played the majority of his career here, has given a lot of his blood and sweat (and teeth) for the Oilers, and has done incredible things in the community. Despite points one and two, he deserves our respect and comments like "he's an embarrassment" are classless and juvenile.

Deal?

Alex87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 10:15 AM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 128
Quote:
No, Smyth isn't, Eakins knows that. But he needs veteran wingers for his very inexperienced winger-turned-center until reinforcements arrive. Read Eakins' interviews. This is temporary, to give us a chance to win without our 1C and 2C.

Blowing up at Smyth, or at Eakins, is showing a complete lack of understanding of line chemistry.
Smyth had no chemistry on that line.

GreatKeith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 10:19 AM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
Smyth had no chemistry on that line.
It's their first regular season game together! Have a little patience! Chemistry takes time. Their attributes will eventually complement each other's.

Old
10-04-2013, 10:20 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
So Rainy

Quote:

Yup, but you know, at some point being terrible (like finished terrible) out weights anything veteran-ish. This is the main problem, even as depth in the line-up he's pretty much useless and done.

Besides, if it's just about "being a vet", they should go sign Prospal, atleast he can still play.

Last edited by Jimmi Jenkins: 10-04-2013 at 10:27 AM.
Old
10-04-2013, 11:01 AM
Hockey Buddha
Darnell Nurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex87 View Post
What if we all agreed on this statement of facts:

- Ryan Smyth is not the player he once was
- Without a doubt, this needs to be Smyth's last year in the NHL (if not sooner)
- Ryan Smyth has played the majority of his career here, has given a lot of his blood and sweat (and teeth) for the Oilers, and has done incredible things in the community. Despite points one and two, he deserves our respect and comments like "he's an embarrassment" are classless and juvenile. Deal?
I agree with the bolded part of your post, Alex87. Personally, I'm tired of all the Smyth scapegoating on these boards. There is a fine line between winning and losing, and Smyth is not chiefly responsible for this team's failures. I really think that it is in poor form to see Smyth being turned on by the fan base in this way.

I don't disagree that Smyth's coming off a sub-par season, or that he's lost a step in his skating, but he can still contribute to the team effectively. Smyth's had a very impressive NHL career to date, and he still does many of the important things well. Smyth brings elements to the table that other forwards in our line up need to emulate. As one of the few experienced, veteran players in our line up, he has an important mentorship role to play here.

Hockey Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 11:20 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Buddha View Post
I agree with the bolded part of your post, Alex87. Personally, I'm tired of all the Smyth scapegoating on these boards. There is a fine line between winning and losing, and Smyth is not chiefly responsible for this team's failures. I really think that it is in poor form to see Smyth being turned on by the fan base in this way.

I don't disagree that Smyth's coming off a sub-par season, or that he's lost a step in his skating, but he can still contribute to the team effectively. Smyth's had a very impressive NHL career to date, and he still does many of the important things well. Smyth brings elements to the table that other forwards in our line up need to emulate. As one of the few experienced, veteran players in our line up, he has an important mentorship role to play here.
Few people are blaming Smyth for this, most are pissed at Eakins for missing the painfully obvious.

Mentorship doesn't need to involve saddling our best player with an anchor around his neck. He can be a mentor from the 4th line. Or the PB.

And calling Smyth a scapegoat implies that he is a better player than the common opinion of him. He isn't. He's worse. He doesn't win puck battles reliably, can't make/receive passes, or even catch up to the play. Playing him with Hall and Hemsky hurts the team by lessening the effectiveness of some of our best weapons. Eakins needs to wake up and give Hall a better option on the wing.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 11:32 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
So Rainy

The Actually Reality is Smyth isn't a "scapegoat" for the team's failing or some other such thing, he's a problem because the team appears to be loyal to a significant fault because they, much like the player himself, refuse to read the writing on the wall.

So I get that it be Hard for many of you to watch a Hero fall so much, but this is Ryan Smyth. And I have very bad news for you, it's not going to get "better" as the season goes on. He's not going to "hit is stride" or some such thing, he's going to get progressly less useful and effective to the point where he will be a general deteriment to the team, regardless of position in the line. I know you don't want to believe this, but this is who Ryan Smyth is now. So before you decide you need to defend him, think about what you think you're defending. If it's the player now, there's nothing to defend, he's done. If it's the hero you want to remember him as, that's fine, but it's on Ryan to maintain that image not you.

Old
10-04-2013, 11:47 AM
Oiltankjob Fail

Quote:

Yes letting Smyth go out in style is more important than trying to make playoffs. Him ending his career with 25 points is what matters.

Oiltankjob Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 11:55 AM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

Quote:

We already did this last year.

This is the difference between teams that are made to win and teams that are made to make money. The best teams play their guys based on merit, and merit alone.

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 11:56 AM
randomrob7

vCash: 471
It's only been one game. We need to give both Smyth and Dubnyk a chance to redeem themselves. That being said, if Smyth continues to play the way he did on Tuesday, Eakins better do something about him. I'd suggest scratching him for a game to send him a message. He needs to know he isn't a lock on this team.

randomrob7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 12:01 PM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins

Quote:

Yes! Smyth is beyond useless in the bottom 6, and is beyond useless but at least feigns productivity on the first line. Why don't we give a legacy player who can't keep up with the play 18 minutes a night, #1 PP duties, and 80% offensive zone starts against the lowest quality of competition, playing with the highest quality of teammates, just so we can make a legacy player feel good about himself. We can let him score 30 points while dragging down our most productive players, while ruining the development of a 1st overall pick by keeping him quarantined to the 3rd line because Smyth wouldn't have a spot on the team if said 1st overall pick broke out. In fact, why don't we sign Smyth to an 8 year 8 million dollar contract for all he's done for us, and trade the players in his way on the first line like Hall, Yakupov, Perron, and Eberle because they hurt Smyth's legacy. While we're at it, why don't we bring back Wayne Gretzky or Mark Messier, they'll uhh, give the team uhh, spiritual guidance.

Trafalgar Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 12:08 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

didn't mean the whole season, just until injuries are resolved

Obviously, Smyth is bumped down to the third line as soon as Hall moves over to left wing again, and even then, I'd prefer that Joensuu plays on the third line over Smyth, and even then, I'd hope that Brown plays over Smyth.

AlowlyOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 12:14 PM
skorf

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post

Honestly, as scared as I am by two months of Acrobello in the top-six, I would move Hall back to LW and play RNH at 1C in his place just to dismiss Smyth from the top line.
I agree... especially if Hall continues to struggle at C. Get him back to LW where he belongs.

Also I'd put Nuge with Eberle and Perron... I think that should be one of our lines with everyone healthy. Let Arcobello play with Hall, they played together last year in the AHL so they'd have some chemistry
Perron/Nuge/Eberle
Hall/Arcobello/Hemsky
Joensuu/Gordon/Yakupov
Smyth/Acton/Gazdic

skorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 12:25 PM
KlimasLoveChild

If they continue trying to force feed Smyth minutes with the likes of Hall and Hemsky I see his season ending very abruptly :

KlimasLoveChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 12:36 PM
shogun99

The reason for Smyth on the first line is because he's a defensively responsable veteran. Wouldn't Perron be considered this also? He's been in the league for 6 years, played for a pretty good St.Louis team during that time in a top 6 role. I'm sure he'd do a much better job helping Hall then Smyth could. I think Smyth would be much better on a line with Arcobello and Hemsky, this way they could support the rookie center in a third line role.

Perron-Hall-Yakupov
Joensuu-Gordon-Eberle
Smyth-Arcobello-Hemsky

shogun99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 01:55 PM
Hockey Buddha
Darnell Nurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlimasLoveChild View Post
If they continue trying to force feed Smyth minutes with the likes of Hall and Hemsky I see his season ending very abruptly :

I prefer this metaphor for the season. I think Yakupov might have been driving this summer:

Hockey Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote