HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nail Yakupov

Old
03-12-2013, 02:47 PM
BowDangles

vCash: 500
Nail Yakupov

I think some one on the Oilers needs to sit down with Nail and tell him to SHOOT THE PUCK! There has been soo many chances when he comes into the zone with the puck and tries to make the pass instead of shooting, he has a lazar, use it!

I feel like he is scared to look selfish at times or something...He does tend to shoot when he is on the PP but 5on5 he always tries to make the pass instead of shooting..

Even when he does not have room to shoot he still unleashes a killer shot, in the game against Chicago there was a play where he came in cut to the middle into two dmen and got off a shot that almost fooled Emery, Emery had to make a pad save on the short side.

That shot distinctively was better than most of the guys on the Oilers can shoot in general.

SHOOT THE PUCK NAIL......please?

BowDangles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 02:51 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 50
Wish they'd stop benching him in the 3rd period.

And yeah, he should shoot more.

Hemsky is outshooting him.

HEMSKY

AlowlyOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 02:51 PM
RisingSun
McJesus. Stay Salty.

Can't shoot the puck when your rarely played.

RisingSun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 02:52 PM
worraps
Acceptance

Can't shoot the puck in the Belanger triangle. On a line with MPS and Gagner I suspect we will see him take more shots.

worraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 02:57 PM
BowDangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
Can't shoot the puck in the Belanger triangle. On a line with MPS and Gagner I suspect we will see him take more shots.
I don't think so, it seems when he plays with other talent he wants to pass the puck off to them instead of being selfish.

He needs an Ovechkin type mentality, just be selfish out there and shoot every thing that touches your stick, we have enough play makers on this team...

I know Hall is getting more points passing more but I wish he would go back to his goal scoring mentality as well... He spoke about changing his game this summer to incorporate more passing in it..

BowDangles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 03:05 PM
Seedling
Tier 7 fan (ballcap)

Putting him on the first PP would be a start.

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 03:09 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDangles View Post
I don't think so, it seems when he plays with other talent he wants to pass the puck off to them instead of being selfish.

He needs an Ovechkin type mentality, just be selfish out there and shoot every thing that touches your stick, we have enough play makers on this team...

I know Hall is getting more points passing more but I wish he would go back to his goal scoring mentality as well... He spoke about changing his game this summer to incorporate more passing in it..
I'm not disagreeing, but can you imagine what guys like Terry Jones, Jim Matheson and Mark Spector would be saying if he did? Selfish Russian, terrible teammate, etc etc and so on.

Moose Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 03:25 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

I think he's trying to avoid looking selfish too.

He took a lot of heat after the mid-ice slide after his goal against LA earlier in the year. People were calling him out then.

He's probably hyper sensitive to making sure his teammates don't feel that's the kind of player he is.

SeriousBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 03:31 PM
oilers2k10
Yak Don't Back Down

I dont think anyone thinks of Stamkos as a selfish player..and hes a Center that scores more than assists..

Coach, Captain, and Linemates need to all personally tell Yakupov that the most unselfish thing he can do Is to shoot the puck...hes hurting his team by tryin to pass everything(even though he is a good playmaker, sniping is his game)

Cmon Yak, we love you, now shoot that puck!

oilers2k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 03:32 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

2010-11
Hall - 53pt pace at age 18 with 18:12 TOI
Eberle - 51pt pace at age 20 with 17:40 TOI

2012-13
Yakupov - 43 pt pace at age 18 with 14:07 TOI

Our marquee forwards have had different sorts of "treatment" in their rookie years.

I feel Yakupov is performing right on par with Hall/Ebs in their rookie years, so I'm not worried about them.

RNH is on another level from these players, he was producing like a beast as an 18 year old. He's without doubt our most valuable asset.

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 03:34 PM
Dave
( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

I really like yak, he just seems dumb when it comes to NHL hockey. He probably has a few seasons of getting accustomed to the game. Then he'll start turning into a beast.

Too many times I've seen him get the puck and he skates around the ice looking for something to happen. But the other team just closes down on him and he eventually puts himself into a bad position. Or he'll pass at a bad time to a teammate and put them in a bad position.

It seems like he thinks he's on big INT ice with loads of space or he's still in junior where he can just take over the game with his skill and speed. He needs to simplify things, especially when he's given a chance with good linemates, make simple passes and get into open ice for shots. There's no real point in talking about his production when he's playing along side black-holes of hockey talent like symth and belanger.

Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 03:36 PM
canovin
Klefbom's charm

I'm not against Taylor Hall and N64 adding playmaking to their arsenal at this early stages of their career. More likely avoiding the OVie/Kessel scenario. And ending up one dimensional, refusing to change and adapt. I also like N64 adding a defensive side to his game. The goals and points will come for both players. I have no doubt in my mine. All about fine tuning their game right now.

canovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 03:43 PM
Matador

I think the negativity around his celebrations has deflated him a bit. He is such a positive individual and shouldn't worry about appearing too selfish or appeasing NHL veterans with a pass first mentality.

He needs to play his game. Not the game that a bunch of uptight veterans want him to play. Why make things more difficult on yourself in the first year?

Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 03:46 PM
nabob
Nuuuuuuuuuuge!!

Can't shoot the puck, coach might think it was the wrong move and bench him

nabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 03:49 PM
ChadSC
SportingCharts

Points Per 60 Min Played (Rookie Season)
  1. RNH - 2.86
  2. Yakupov - 2.21
  3. Hall - 2.13
  4. Eberle - 2.11

ChadSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 03:53 PM
Horseradish

I don't know why people are so choked about Krueger sheltering a rookie. I care about winning games and in the 3rd period, veteran scorers would FEAST on an inexperienced, defensively challenged player like Yakupov. If you care about flash and bash and 30th overall finishes and collecting 1st overall picks like their Pokemon things, go for it. I care about winning, and Yakupov shouldn't be put in a position to fail when it comes to that like Hall, Eberle, and RNH were....and the 30th place finishes that came with that.

Horseradish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 04:06 PM
Hitchslap
Losing credibility

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedling View Post
Putting him on the first PP would be a start.
Exactly. That should be his prime opportunity to shoot.

Hitchslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 04:08 PM
KarmaPolice
Antics

vCash: 8069
Send a message via MSN to KarmaPolice
I'm not sure if I subscribe to anyone shooting at every single opportunity; however, if there's one player on the Oilers who should, it's definitely Nail. He can absolutely wire wristers and slappers that are mostly dead-on accurate going for a corner from anywhere. He definitely needs to be shooting a hell of a lot more, no matter what his position is offensively, that's for sure.

KarmaPolice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 04:12 PM
nabob
Nuuuuuuuuuuge!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseradish View Post
I don't know why people are so choked about Krueger sheltering a rookie. I care about winning games and in the 3rd period, veteran scorers would FEAST on an inexperienced, defensively challenged player like Yakupov. If you care about flash and bash and 30th overall finishes and collecting 1st overall picks like their Pokemon things, go for it. I care about winning, and Yakupov shouldn't be put in a position to fail when it comes to that like Hall, Eberle, and RNH were....and the 30th place finishes that came with that.
So if he is on the bench with 5 seconds left against LA earlier in the season do we win that game with Smyth or Belanger out there in his spot? He should be put in a position to succeed (1st PP unit, 5 on 3 / 4 on 3 PP) not sitting on the bench.

Old
03-12-2013, 04:15 PM
Horseradish

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post
So if he is on the bench with 5 seconds left against LA earlier in the season do we win that game with Smyth or Belanger out there in his spot? He should be put in a position to succeed (1st PP unit, 5 on 3 / 4 on 3 PP) not sitting on the bench.
O-zone faceoff with 5 seconds left? Yeah, of course put him out there.

Tie game 5 minutes left in the 3rd on the road with a neutral zone face-off where you have no control over the match-ups?? Damn right he belongs at the end of the bench.

Horseradish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 04:27 PM
nabob
Nuuuuuuuuuuge!!

Quote:
O-zone faceoff with 5 seconds left? Yeah, of course put him out there.

Tie game 5 minutes left in the 3rd on the road with a neutral zone face-off where you have no control over the match-ups?? Damn right he belongs at the end of the bench.
playing not to lose is a concept that has become all to comfortable for Oiler fans.

Old
03-12-2013, 04:27 PM
Puritania
5-14-6-1

vCash: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRadicals View Post
Can't shoot the puck when you're rarely played.
This.

After the first period Yak gets benched or saddled with anchors. I was impressed with the line of him, Gagner, and Pajaarvi. Was pissed when he got replaced with Petrell on that line after the first.

Puritania is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 04:30 PM
Puritania
5-14-6-1

vCash: 105
Quote:
It's not like we're lighting the league up right now anyways. Yak is getting benched and sheltered and we're still losing constantly. I understand the concept, but with this team struggling so mightily to score goals I'd like to see Yak get more opportunities. Even if they are all offensive zone starts. As it stands he doesn't even get those right now.

Puritania is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 04:32 PM
nabob
Nuuuuuuuuuuge!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puritania View Post
This.

After the first period Yak gets benched or saddled with anchors. I was impressed with the line of him, Gagner, and Pajaarvi. Was pissed when he got replaced with Petrell on that line after the first.
Yep it was a classic MacRenneger move. Replace Petrell with Peterson/Reddox as needed.

Old
03-12-2013, 04:33 PM
nabob
Nuuuuuuuuuuge!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puritania View Post
It's not like we're lighting the league up right now anyways. Yak is getting benched and sheltered and we're still losing constantly. I understand the concept, but with this team struggling so mightily to score goals I'd like to see Yak get more opportunities. Even if they are all offensive zone starts. As it stands he doesn't even get those right now.
and its so frustrating!