HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Shoulld we start being concerned about the goalies in the system?

Old
03-26-2013, 03:57 PM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 270
Shoulld we start being concerned about the goalies in the system?

We spend a lot of time looking at our current roster and the problems facing it.

Over the past week I have been looking at the system. Draft picks still in junior or overseas, OK City and down in Stockton.

Something grabbed my attention and that in Stockton right now is both Oliver Roy and Tyler Bunz, one of whom was supposed to be our goalie of the future

About 2 months ago the oilers picked up Niko Hovinen and sent him to OK city and that sent Roy to Stockton.

I thought the plan was, to have one of Roy or Bunz as the starter in OK city with Denis as the vetren back up and have the other in Stockton.

In the 2012 draft the oilers drafted two Fin goalies. Samu Perhonen and Frans Tuohimaa-- we only have so many spots for these guys to play.

The fact that both our top goalie prospects are down in the ECHL--should this be of concern to us--some of us are very concerned about the goalie situation on the oiler roster is of concern--I realize Bunz is 21 and Roy is also 21, but I am from the school where goalies need to play and having both fighting for time on the same team worries me about their development

Am I the only one?

Welcome to Edmonton Connor McDavid--the rest of you HA HA HA HA HA HA
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 03:59 PM
GDU

vCash: 500
have the oilers ever drafted or developed a goalie of serious note?

since fuhr or moog?

GDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 04:04 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

vCash: 50
To be honest, nothing about Roy or Bunz excites me. They're the same calibre as JDD or Dubynk. There's potential to be a starter, but if they end up in the NHL, odds are it's not as an elite goaltender. We really need to get a blue chip prospect, rather than just relying on quantity and hoping one of them is a diamond in the rough.

03-26-2013, 04:10 PM
Joey McMoss
5-14-6-1

vCash: 815
Yes. We've drafted a lot of goalies like Perhonen, Roy, Bunz, Tuohimma but I don't think any of them are going to pan out. Bunz or Roy have decent potential, I guess. Wouldn't mind seeing a goalie taken with one of our 2nd's this year.

Joey McMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 04:11 PM
Beerfish

I have become rather paranoid about almost every move by the Oilers organization. I see them draft some oil kings that look like they are more interested in having guys there for fan service because they own the team.

Oklahoma and other AHL teams whether they like it or not should be looked at as developmental leagues and thus at least one of Bunz or Roy should not only be there but be getting a meaningful number of games. Goalies do develop slower often but these guys for sure should be at Oka next year.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 04:32 PM
SchultzSquared*

Roy is too good for that league... it is obvious in his numbers and performance... he is a better goalie than Hovinen

Jon Quick Age 21/22:
Reading Royals ECHL 38 GP 23-11-3 2.79 GAA 0.905 Sv%

So am I concerned about a goalie being there... no... am I concerned with Bunz's performance there... yes

As for the two Finns... nothing there... not unless Tuohimaa can develop further beyond Finnish league backup

I think though this is a good subject as there are as always a couple good FAs worth pursuing... really like the looks of Antti Raanta in Finland and Julius Hudacek in Sweden...

SchultzSquared* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 04:35 PM
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!

I felt like the Oilers dropped the ball in last summer's draft. There was some good goaltenders (good enough to be drafted) that went in the 6th, 7th round and some went undrafted.

Francois Brassard - (Quebec Remparts - QMJHL). He was drafted by Ottawa in the 6th Round. Had a great year this season, top 3 goalie in the Q this year.

Matt Tomkins - (Sherwood Park Crusaders - AJHL). The guy has 0.924 Save % and was in our own back yard . Going to Ohio State next year. Went to the Blackhawks in the 7th round.

Brandon Whitney - (Victoriaville Tigres - QMJHL). This is guy has the body type of what most NHL goalies are trending towards in the future IMO. Had a massive 55 save performance a few nights ago. Chicago got this guy in the 7th round too.

Roman Will - (Moncton Wildcats - QMJHL). I thought this guy would have been perfect to go to the ECHL and start working his way up the ladder since he was a year older then the rest of the draft class. He had incredible numbers on a very average Moncton team. Good way to push Bunz and create good competition. This guy has really good numbers throughout his junior career. (http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=70390).

Here's a video of Will 45 save performace against the Sea Dogs. Sea Dogs who had Coyle and Huberdeau at the time.

I felt Chicago was really on the ball last june, snapping up two goalies in the 7th round who are doing really well this season. Ottawa always drafts well and they got a pretty good find in the late rounds. It was a good year in 2012 for goalies i thought. Oilers took 5 forwards and 2 defenseman.

Last edited by Fixed to Ruin: 03-26-2013 at 04:41 PM.
Fixed to Ruin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 04:37 PM
Ev

In bunz's first AHL game he got pulled. Let in 7 goals or something in a period. HUGE disappointment. Wouldn't mind hovinen as our next goalie call up instead of Danis.

Ev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 04:49 PM
Gone
Fire KLowe

Dubnyk was a great pick.

Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 06:56 PM
rec28

Send a message via MSN to rec28
"start"?

rec28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 07:08 PM
April McEthereal
5-14-6-1

vCash: 407
Thankfully, there are several goalies expected to go third roundish in this draft, though I figure it'll be down to Fucale and Jarry. Either of them should be damn solid goalies in the pros.

April McEthereal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 07:47 PM
BOLD MacT Trade
GoldMoldisMacTBold

We really need a top goalie prospect. I've been concerned about this for some time, our 1st rounders have all been too high to consider taking a goalie the last few years. I would have loved to have drafted Malcolm Subban last year.

BOLD MacT Trade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 10:06 PM
timekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOilersDynasty2012 View Post
We really need a top goalie prospect. I've been concerned about this for some time, our 1st rounders have all been too high to consider taking a goalie the last few years. I would have loved to have drafted Malcolm Subban last year.
That would require some creative trading to acquire another draft pick in the first round. Not confident it will done again by Tambo

timekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 11:12 PM
lakai17

Olivier Roy > Ty Bunz

lakai17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 11:23 PM
stratedge
I rigged the lotto.

vCash: 785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone View Post
Dubnyk was a great pick.
At 14th overall, he'd really have to be more than a 1b goalie to be a "great pick". He's yet to become a decent starter despite how hardly the Oilers are trying to force that to come true.

stratedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 11:29 PM
SchultzSquared*

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratedge View Post
At 14th overall, he'd really have to be more than a 1b goalie to be a "great pick". He's yet to become a decent starter despite how hardly the Oilers are trying to force that to come true.
Only two goalies from 2004 have played 100+ games in NHL... Dubnyk Rinne... and Rinne was 8th rounder... we don't even have that round anymore... only Schneider Khudobin left as legit starter "prospects"... puts it into perspective I think...

EDIT

Also if you want a laugh... how many 2004 first rounders have played for Oilers... if you said five you are right (Barker Smid Dubnyk Schremp Fistric)

SchultzSquared* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 12:24 AM
Sheikyerbouti
ShakeyerMcBooty

Developing goalies from draft to starter is almost impossible.

We've done better than most. I agree with not worried about Roy, but a little worried about Bunz.

Each year I think team's move away from drafting goalies other than late round fliers. They are just too difficult to predict. Our fliers under Macgregor have been pretty good

Previous to Dubnyk/JDD we didn't have a minors team to develop goalies, since then we've been doing OK imo. I'd like to see more college FA's and experienced Euro's signed than draft picks wasted, Raanto is a good suggestion.

Sheikyerbouti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 12:39 AM
Joey McMoss
5-14-6-1

vCash: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratedge View Post
When you look at some of the other picks in that draft it was pretty good.

Joey McMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 08:37 AM
T-Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOilersDynasty2012 View Post
I was hoping we'd do that too. Seriously, Tambo couldn't move from 32 to 24? Ugh.

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 08:54 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 3251
I'm more concerned about my goalies in the NHL. Goalie development is a freaking crap shoot, hence why I hate drafting them.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 09:39 AM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
look at a team like boston, they had thomas, rask, still have khudbidon and drafted subban.

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 09:46 AM
Beerfish

Where is Bjorn Bjoerling when you need him.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 09:47 AM
Joe Hallenback

vCash: 777
Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
look at a team like boston, they had thomas, rask, still have khudbidon and drafted subban.
3 of those guys they didn't draft. What does that tell you?

Joe Hallenback is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 09:48 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 3251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hallenback View Post
That they should re-think trading Subban

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 09:49 AM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hallenback View Post
exactly what my point was going to be, we need to snap up goalie prospects that even show glimmers of trending upwards. instead of watering the 2-4 guys we drafted and hoping they pan out.

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote