HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

It's Time To #FireTambo & #FireLowe

Old
03-26-2013, 05:08 PM
MrBigglesworth

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya42 View Post
#MrBigglesworthWorstPostInHFBoards

How is it the fans fault for Eager's failings? The guy didn't bring what was expected, and he didn't contribute the way he should have. So you blame Edmonton fans?
Uh...where did I say anything about Eager...?

MrBigglesworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 05:15 PM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBigglesworth View Post
More as in Unrealistic and Whiny. 'Dumbest' could be correct as well.

We kicked off a from-the-ground-up rebuild in 2010...common sense ought to say that it's going to take some time. But somehow every year at around the mid-way point when we're not sitting comfortably in a playoff spot, people completely lose their ****. It's been 2.5 seasons, folks- we're not going to be world beaters any time soon so you might as well strap yourselves in or jump ship.
The Oiler fans are not expecting world beaters in the slightest. What we do expect is consistent effort from the team and holes to be filled by management.

Neither of those 2 things are being adequately dealt with by this organization.

Last edited by Dorian2: 03-27-2013 at 07:35 PM.
Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 05:15 PM
Halibut

Quote:
More as in Unrealistic and Whiny. 'Dumbest' could be correct as well.

We kicked off a from-the-ground-up rebuild in 2010...common sense ought to say that it's going to take some time. But somehow every year at around the mid-way point when we're not sitting comfortably in a playoff spot, people completely lose their ****. It's been 2.5 seasons, folks- we're not going to be world beaters any time soon so you might as well strap yourselves in or jump ship.
So why is this team still run by the geniuses who got them into that 2010 state that required the burn it to the ground rebuild? What signs have we seen that their is light at the end of the tunnel? If their is light how long is this tunnel, another 2 years, 3, 5?

Halibut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 05:23 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
#YEGWorstFansInSports
Yup. The worst fans in sports who continuously invest themselves emotionally in a perennial last place team and sell out every home game. Man, what **** fans.

Give your head a shake.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 05:28 PM
MrBigglesworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
The Oiler fans are not ecpecting world beaters in the slightest. What we do expect is consistent effort from the team and holes to be filled by management.

Neither of those 2 things are being adequately dealt with by this organization.
Agree to disagree on the former. I'd argue the compete level is miles beyond where it was right around the time Whitney got here, where the players would absolutely crumble after a bad goal or when down by a couple.

The latter- I don't know what people expect there. Despite HF popular opinion, management is not clueless. They 100%, without a doubt, recognize the same holes all of us do. They can't just decide to go out and get a franchise defenseman or a 6'5/240lbs all-star 2nd line center.

Halibut: The sign was the decision to rebuild. They could have chosen to Feaster or Burke the team for the past 2.5 years to try and satiate fans- they didn't do that. Looking at past rebuilds, imho, we're another 2-3 years away. It stinks, but it is what it is- there's no magic quick fix.

Old
03-26-2013, 05:53 PM
Up the Irons

vCash: 408
Quote:
Agree to disagree on the former. I'd argue the compete level is miles beyond where it was right around the time Whitney got here, where the players would absolutely crumble after a bad goal or when down by a couple.

The latter- I don't know what people expect there. Despite HF popular opinion, management is not clueless. They 100%, without a doubt, recognize the same holes all of us do. They can't just decide to go out and get a franchise defenseman or a 6'5/240lbs all-star 2nd line center.

Halibut: The sign was the decision to rebuild. They could have chosen to Feaster or Burke the team for the past 2.5 years to try and satiate fans- they didn't do that. Looking at past rebuilds, imho, we're another 2-3 years away. It stinks, but it is what it is- there's no magic quick fix.
that still doesn't excuse Tambo's O-fer record on free agents signings; not one has worked out. he has not made a single solitary trade that has actually improved the team. he is using this entire season to 'evaluate'; wasting an entire season!!!! He genuinely believes he can fill each and every roster position with a drafted prospect. He is hesitant at the trade deadline and on the Draft floor, missing out on many possible deals. While other teams seem to be able to aquire decent NHLers for 2nd and 3rd round draft picks, Tambo always has the excuse: 'a deal just wasn't there'. Could Doug Murray have help this club? I don't know, but I know our 2nd (35th) and 3rd (65th) is a better deal than then Pittsburg's two 2nds. But where is Tambo? who knows. out to lunch somewhere, waiting for someone to phone him.

No matter how you slice it, this core should be better supported at this point and be further along in the rebuild. they are not for one reason and one reason only: incompetent and hesitant management.

Up the Irons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 08:04 PM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:

That's a terrible comparison and you know it.
Why is it a terrible comparison? You brought it up .... using the waiver clear to "substantiate" your argument.
Oh well, I'm sure you were one of the guys saying two years ago that Souray was non-NHL player.

Here ... have a laugh smilie

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 01:39 AM
Real_Estate-Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilexport View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post

Ben Eager and top six do not mix
Dave Semenko says hi...
Since this thread is temporarily sidetracked (hopefully only temporarily), Cement-head only played top six against certain teams & usually only for a few shifts. And always on Gretzky's line for protection.

I remember Sather testing Semenko on the PP for a few weeks; his role was to stand in front of the net to screen the goalie. If memory serves me correct, Dave scored three goals in a week. Every goal was Gretzky deflecting the puck off his body - not one puck touched Semenko's stick...

Real_Estate-Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 09:47 AM
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
Why is it a terrible comparison? You brought it up .... using the waiver clear to "substantiate" your argument.
Oh well, I'm sure you were one of the guys saying two years ago that Souray was non-NHL player.

Here ... have a laugh smilie
Care to point out how Eager's and Souray's situations are the same?

Eager was put on waivers because he wasn't playing the way he was expected to (with his strengths), and Brown effectively made him redundant.

Souray was put on waivers for being a ***** and throwing management under the bus. He would have been a poison in the locker room.

Besdies being put on waivers, how are they in any way similar? I challenge you to find the similarities.

Fail sauce for you too? All you had to do was ask...

Here's a laugh smilie right back at you.

Booya42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 11:10 AM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Care to point out how Eager's and Souray's situations are the same?
I never said they were "the same".
My only comment was directed at your little "observation" .... "its telling after he makes it through waivers after he was sent down".
You make this statement as if to say that clearing waivers is the ultimate confirmation of a players worthlessness.
Another poster comes along and points out that good players sometimes clear waivers for reasons other than their ability to play the NHL game (ie injuries or over paid).
You then proceed to ridicule the poster with some over the top rhetoric and a heaping helping of the little smilies you love so well.
Its frankly ridiculous.

Quote:
Souray was put on waivers for being a ***** and throwing management under the bus. He would have been a poison in the locker room.
Yeah he put management squarely where they belonged all right - too bad the bus driver missed them.
The "poison" in this organization is management. Looking back at it now they probably couldn't take the risk of having a player on the team with any pride whatsoever given their plan to lose on purpose.

Souray was certainly no poison in Dallas - He has been a force and hes been a guy in the locker room that took charge and we needed that, Dallas coach Glen Gulutzan said. Hes been a real positive guy for our group right from Day One. The Ducks seem to like him just fine too.

Quote:
Besdies being put on waivers, how are they in any way similar? I challenge you to find the similarities.
The fact that injuries played a part in both of these players ending up on waivers surely can't be escaping you can it? I doubt either player has many nice things to say about the dumbest man in hockey either. So there's two similarities for you ... enough?

Quote:
Fail sauce for you too? All you had to do was ask...
Here's a laugh smilie right back at you.

Keep toeing that management line.

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 11:42 AM
MrBigglesworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustE View Post
that still doesn't excuse Tambo's O-fer record on free agents signings; not one has worked out. he has not made a single solitary trade that has actually improved the team. he is using this entire season to 'evaluate'; wasting an entire season!!!! He genuinely believes he can fill each and every roster position with a drafted prospect. He is hesitant at the trade deadline and on the Draft floor, missing out on many possible deals. While other teams seem to be able to aquire decent NHLers for 2nd and 3rd round draft picks, Tambo always has the excuse: 'a deal just wasn't there'. Could Doug Murray have help this club? I don't know, but I know our 2nd (35th) and 3rd (65th) is a better deal than then Pittsburg's two 2nds. But where is Tambo? who knows. out to lunch somewhere, waiting for someone to phone him.

No matter how you slice it, this core should be better supported at this point and be further along in the rebuild. they are not for one reason and one reason only: incompetent and hesitant management.
I thank you for actually using a recent trade example- it's a rarity around here. But is that Murray deal really something you'd have wanted us to pull the trigger on? By most accounts Pittsburgh overpaid...why would you want Tambellini to beat an over payment? He's a 2nd/3rd pairing UFA to be...makes sense for Pittsburgh but not for us, at a cost of ~2 2nd round picks.

As for not signing great free agents and trying to fill spots with draft picks...aren't those things pretty key in a rebuild? 1) Don't tie the team down with bad contracts, and 2) let your guys play so you get an accurate picture of what you have, develop them, and decide whether they belong?

Old
03-27-2013, 12:28 PM
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
I never said they were "the same".
My only comment was directed at your little "observation" .... "its telling after he makes it through waivers after he was sent down".
You make this statement as if to say that clearing waivers is the ultimate confirmation of a players worthlessness.

Another poster comes along and points out that good players sometimes clear waivers for reasons other than their ability to play the NHL game (ie injuries or over paid).
You then proceed to ridicule the poster with some over the top rhetoric and a heaping helping of the little smilies you love so well.
Its frankly ridiculous.

Yeah he put management squarely where they belonged all right - too bad the bus driver missed them.
The "poison" in this organization is management. Looking back at it now they probably couldn't take the risk of having a player on the team with any pride whatsoever given their plan to lose on purpose.

Souray was certainly no poison in Dallas - “He has been a force and he’s been a guy in the locker room that took charge and we needed that,” Dallas coach Glen Gulutzan said. “He’s been a real positive guy for our group right from Day One.” The Ducks seem to like him just fine too.

The fact that injuries played a part in both of these players ending up on waivers surely can't be escaping you can it? I doubt either player has many nice things to say about the dumbest man in hockey either. So there's two similarities for you ... enough?

Keep toeing that management line.
Bolded 1. Fair enough, and let me elaborate on my original post..it was to indicate that his passing waivers was due to his inability/refusal to play to his strengths that caused him to be waived. He was brought on to hit, agitate, and occasionally pot some goals. He failed to do this effectively, and was replaced by Brown who brings those things and more. Having a 1.1 million price tag surely did not help Eager's case when he won't do what he needs to in order to have a NHL job. If he came cheaper, i have no doubt that he would have been picked up.

Bolded 2. Over the top rhetoric? Heaping helping of smiles - how is one or two smilies constitue "heaping helping"(actually it was only one). Who's using over the top rhetoric here? You're right...that it is ridiculous in how you describe your own post.

Bolded 3. It's amazing how a "heaping helping" of humble sauce can change players attitudes huh? I'm actually happy that Souray turned his game around and is back in the league. Keep in mind that before that whole fiasco, Edmonton's management was the 2nd team he had thrown under the bus...he made some bad comments about Montreal after leaving too.

Bolded 4.
Do you seriously believe that injuries played a part in Souray being waived? Really???

Lastly...you must have missed the edit i did to my post a bit back, so here's a recap for you:

Quote:
#MrBigglesworthWorstPostInHFBoards

How is it the fans fault for Eager's failings? The guy didn't bring what was expected, and he didn't contribute the way he should have. So you blame Edmonton fans?

Come to think of it, how it the fans fault for any of management's decisions? This roster has serious holes that need filling, but i just can't see it happening anytime soon. Tambo's on his last legs here IMO, and his hanging around was dependent upon how we did this season. If we end up in the bottom 3 again, he'll be done IMO. We were expected to be pushing for the playoffs - not the first overall pick again.

Would you like some fail sauce with those fries?
Gee, i guess i should stop tooting Tambo's horn so much...

Last edited by Booya42: 03-27-2013 at 12:38 PM.
Booya42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 06:20 PM
Up the Irons

vCash: 408
Quote:
I thank you for actually using a recent trade example- it's a rarity around here. But is that Murray deal really something you'd have wanted us to pull the trigger on? By most accounts Pittsburgh overpaid...why would you want Tambellini to beat an over payment? He's a 2nd/3rd pairing UFA to be...makes sense for Pittsburgh but not for us, at a cost of ~2 2nd round picks.

As for not signing great free agents and trying to fill spots with draft picks...aren't those things pretty key in a rebuild? 1) Don't tie the team down with bad contracts, and 2) let your guys play so you get an accurate picture of what you have, develop them, and decide whether they belong?
I don't put alot of value in 2nd rounds picks. I suppose the 'rental' aspect of Murray does make that particular deal unattractive. I agree that not signing big ticket free agents was probably the way to go. but, of the FAs Tambo did sign, not 1 worked out. I can give him a pass on some of them, or even most of them, but not all of them.

when one breaks down each if Tambo's signings/non-sigining/deals/non-deals, it is possible to excuse him. but, when you look at the whole body of work, IMO, it becomes obvious that he has little to show for.

I still stand by the notion that this team should be better by now and are at least 1 or 2 years behind because of poor management. Can a leopard change his spots? Can Tambo become aggressive and start taking risks? sure he can. we shall see in the next week. if he trades Hemsky and/or Smid for prospects/picks, we will know the answer.

Last edited by Up the Irons: 03-27-2013 at 06:28 PM.
Up the Irons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 07:15 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilexport View Post
Dave Semenko says hi...
It's 2013. What enforcer plays top six minutes?

Dave had some guy named Wayne playing.

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote