HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

It's Time To #FireTambo & #FireLowe

Old
03-12-2013, 04:13 PM
MetaOil1993

vCash: 450
Regardless on what happens I still want Tambellini and Lowe fired.

MetaOil1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 04:39 PM
rec28

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to rec28
In my opinion, Tamblowe are being very deliberate in their (in)actions. Has there been a single word uttered by management re: this season's failures? They have a plan and they are sticking to it, come hell or high water. We can disagree as to whether it's the right plan or not, but everything they are doing/not doing right now is deliberate. And since everyone from Katz on down have bought in, no one is going to be fired anytime soon. I worry about the damage being done in the meantime, but it seems clear to me that they made up their minds several years ago.

That said, I get the sense that this trade deadline is when the levee breaks and they jump back into the game. At that point they'll have a top 5 pick, the big 5, Hemsky, and Gagner as high value trading chips, along with Whitney/Eager/etc as filler - that's a LOT of attractive assets to play with and fill some obvious holes without mortgaging the future. Given that it's expected to be a seller's market this year, I'm betting they finally turn off the cruise control and get serious. Whether they are actually successful or effective at it is an entirely different question, but I think some change is a comin in the next few weeks, and regardless of the outcome no one will be fired.

rec28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 04:40 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rec28 View Post
In my opinion, Tamblowe are being very deliberate in their (in)actions. Has there been a single word uttered by management re: this season's failures? They have a plan and they are sticking to it, come hell or high water. We can disagree as to whether it's the right plan or not, but everything they are doing/not doing right now is deliberate. And since everyone from Katz on down have bought in, no one is going to be fired anytime soon. I worry about the damage being done in the meantime, but it seems clear to me that they made up their minds several years ago.

That said, I get the sense that this trade deadline is when the levee breaks and they jump back into the game. At that point they'll have a top 3-5 pick, the big 5, Hesmky, and Gagner as high value trading chips, along with Whitney/Eager/etc as filler. Given that it's expected to be a seller's market this year, I'm betting they finally turn off the cruise control and get serious. Whether they are actually successful or effective at it is an entirely different question, but I think some change is a comin in the next few weeks, and regardless of the outcome, no one will be fired.
What plan? There isn't any plan.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 04:51 PM
rec28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Build through the draft in the most literal sense possible. Let the chips fall where they may while they leverage the inevitable teething problems associated with a very young team (i.e. poor finishes & high draft picks) in order to get to a spot where they have the assets to compete.

I didn't say it was a good plan, and certainly not a satisfying one for the fans, but it's clearly their intent, imo...

Old
03-12-2013, 04:57 PM
stoff

Quote:
A five year rebuild to acquire top end talent.

They have done the first three years perfectly(3 1st overalls) and starting now or this summer they have to supplement it.

This team isn't going to be a contender because of a trade or two they will by the young stars getting older and adding complementary pieces. Management, whether you agree with the plan or not, has shown great patience and long term vision.

The time to judge Tambo is on the next year or phase. He has done exactly as asked for the first phase.

stoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 05:10 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

vCash: 50
We can't control where the team finishes... they'll obviously finish wherever their play takes them in the 2nd half. Hopefully in the running for a playoff spot.

Fortunately, only thing we can be certain of is another #1 pick.

#winningforlosing

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 05:13 PM
Skm

vCash: 1551
I'm sorry Gone, but if you'd rather make a (irrelevant) point than let a under-priviliged kid experience an NHL game then I pity you.

On to the topic at hand, while I have been in the "clean house in the front office" camp for years now, it will never happen. Just accept it. Lowe and Katz are good enough of friends that Katz would rather keep that than build a winning NHL organization.

Skm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 05:17 PM
Up the Irons

vCash: 480
Quote:

That said, I get the sense that this trade deadline is when the levee breaks and they jump back into the game. At that point they'll have a top 5 pick, the big 5, Hemsky, and Gagner as high value trading chips, along with Whitney/Eager/etc as filler - that's a LOT of attractive assets to play with and fill some obvious holes without mortgaging the future. Given that it's expected to be a seller's market this year, I'm betting they finally turn off the cruise control and get serious. Whether they are actually successful or effective at it is an entirely different question, but I think some change is a comin in the next few weeks, and regardless of the outcome no one will be fired.
i agree with that they intended to draft and develop, but i think this year they intended to be better. their inaction is beginning to haunt them. if Tambo does nothing at the deadline, and the team is in the bottom, and still remains employed, it is proof positive they are blatantly tanking.

it is sickening how inept he has been. I can just see him smiling at the podium saying: 'the Edmonton Oilers are so pround to select Jonathan Drouin.' He fits the Oilers' profile; 5'10', 180 and really fast and nifty.

Up the Irons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 05:48 PM
rec28

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustE View Post
i agree with that they intended to draft and develop, but i think this year they intended to be better. their inaction is beginning to haunt them. if Tambo does nothing at the deadline, and the team is in the bottom, and still remains employed, it is proof positive they are blatantly tanking.

it is sickening how inept he has been. I can just see him smiling at the podium saying: 'the Edmonton Oilers are so pround to select Jonathan Drouin.' He fits the Oilers' profile; 5'10', 180 and really fast and nifty.
I have to wonder how much of that is wishful thinking and projection on the part of the fans. I know I expected them to be better and I know a lot of others did too, but I'm not convinced the mgmt team did. Or if they did, they expected purely organic growth but weren't otherwise interested in doing anything to nurture it (and if those expectations didn't pan out - no biggie - they have the long game in mind ). If they expected a substantial improvement, I would have expected a deliberate effort to bring in a proper supporting cast for the kids. Didn't happen. From chasing Hossa & Heatley to offer sheeting Penner & trading for Pronger, the management team obviously isn't afraid of making big splashes (not interested in how these moves turned out - only the fact that they happened). The fact that they've been SO completely inactive and non-responsive in the face of such clear and acute failure tells me it's by design.

It sucks as a fan, but from an objective standpoint it makes a lot of sense for a franchise with poor to mediocre talent (pre-rebuild), (formerly) poorly-stocked cupboards and a historical organizational handicap when it comes to attracting free agents. Nothing of value to trade, UFA won't come here, and the farm is unreliable at best - that only leaves one option: scorched earth & build from the draft until they have a high-talent core and a collection of tradeable assets.

Re: "blatantly tanking", I think there's a subtle but important distinction between deliberately making the team worse in the pursuit of a #1 pick and starting from scratch and letting nature take its course in the pursuit of long term, organic improvement (while doing nothing to improve the team in the short term). Some will see no difference and that's fine, but I think it's significant.

Last edited by rec28: 03-12-2013 at 06:20 PM.
Old
03-12-2013, 05:52 PM
Gone
Fire KLowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skm View Post
I'm sorry Gone, but if you'd rather make a (irrelevant) point than let a under-priviliged kid experience an NHL game then I pity you.

On to the topic at hand, while I have been in the "clean house in the front office" camp for years now, it will never happen. Just accept it. Lowe and Katz are good enough of friends that Katz would rather keep that than build a winning NHL organization.
Really, don't be so quick to judge a posters charitable efforts based on his desire to see the Oilers get better. For this, i pity you.

Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 06:02 PM
BlueChip01
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

I agree with this. If they never had their plan set they would be sucking up to the fan base. I think they don't mind a last year of picking top 5 and then they will start moving assets.

I don't really like it, but it makes sense.

BlueChip01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 07:10 PM
Up the Irons

Quote:
I have to wonder how much of that is wishful thinking and projection on the part of the fans. I know I expected them to be better and I know a lot of others did too, but I'm not convinced the mgmt team did. Or if they did, they expected purely organic growth but weren't otherwise interested in doing anything to nurture it (and if those expectations didn't pan out - no biggie - they have the long game in mind ). If they expected a substantial improvement, I would have expected a deliberate effort to bring in a proper supporting cast for the kids. Didn't happen. From chasing Hossa & Heatley to offer sheeting Penner & trading for Pronger, the management team obviously isn't afraid of making big splashes (not interested in how these moves turned out - only the fact that they happened). The fact that they've been SO completely inactive and non-responsive in the face of such clear and acute failure tells me it's by design.

It sucks as a fan, but from an objective standpoint it makes a lot of sense for a franchise with poor to mediocre talent (pre-rebuild), (formerly) poorly-stocked cupboards and a historical organizational handicap when it comes to attracting free agents. Nothing of value to trade, UFA won't come here, and the farm is unreliable at best - that only leaves one option: scorched earth & build from the draft until they have a high-talent core and a collection of tradeable assets.

Re: "blatantly tanking", I think there's a subtle but important distinction between deliberately making the team worse in the pursuit of a #1 pick and starting from scratch and letting nature take its course in the pursuit of long term, organic improvement (while doing nothing to improve the team in the short term). Some will see no difference and that's fine, but I think it's significant.
well said. i guess that's the 'glass half full' view. the 'long plan'.

but, i'm still concerned that, by not surrounding the youth with better players, by design or not, they run the risk of these players souring on the organization. what this long plan means to me is: don't expect to win with at least 2 of current big 5. this is a plan that will not yeild results for at least 5 years, and probably closer to 7. the core is Nuge, Yak, Klef, and the player they pick this year. Ebs and Hall may well need to traded (near the end of their contracts) to supplement said core.

Old
03-12-2013, 07:36 PM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

vCash: 1507
Quote:

but, i'm still concerned that, by not surrounding the youth with better players, by design or not, they run the risk of these players souring on the organization. what this long plan means to me is: don't expect to win with at least 2 of current big 5. this is a plan that will not yeild results for at least 5 years, and probably closer to 7. the core is Nuge, Yak, Klef, and the player they pick this year. Ebs and Hall may well need to traded (near the end of their contracts) to supplement said core.
Their 'plan' only works if they have a competant scouting program. It's been very plain for years the Oilers do not. Therefore, they now do not have the 'assets' required to probably build a team. After 3 years of 1st overall plus 31/61/91, etc, they should have plenty of assets. The Hamiltons, Pitlicks, etc, of the world are not going to allow them to fine tune this team, either with themselves or trade the high end drafts for secondary pieces they need.. By the time they're picking their 9th overall, the first 5 will be gone..and so on. I think the highest they're going to get with this plan is fighting for 8th again.
This management group, including the great Stu, cannot build a proper championship team.

Oilfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 07:45 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilfan2 View Post
Their 'plan' only works if they have a competant scouting program. It's been very plain for years the Oilers do not. Therefore, they now do not have the 'assets' required to probably build a team. After 3 years of 1st overall plus 31/61/91, etc, they should have plenty of assets. The Hamiltons, Pitlicks, etc, of the world are not going to allow them to fine tune this team, either with themselves or trade the high end drafts for secondary pieces they need.. By the time they're picking their 9th overall, the first 5 will be gone..and so on. I think the highest they're going to get with this plan is fighting for 8th again.
This management group, including the great Stu, cannot build a proper championship team.
It's still better than sending down Nuge, Hall and Eberle to the AHL.

Tad Mikowsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 08:34 PM
rec28

Quote:

I guess the sort of easy answer there is that if Hall and Eberle need to be traded due to those concerns, they are still high end assets that will bring back substantial return and sustain or build on their growth and success. This is something the pre rebuild Oilers simply couldn't do.

I worry more about the big 5 being ruined by having been thrown into the deep end too soon and treading water without adequate support for too long.

Last edited by rec28: 03-12-2013 at 08:43 PM.
Old
03-12-2013, 08:42 PM
rec28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilfan2 View Post
Disagree. The Oilers are no less bound by the later draft round success probabilities than any other team. The salient point is that they now have legitimate (if raw) high end talent that can either serve as core players moving forward or be moved to fill other needs. The pre-rebuild Oilers simply didn't have this option. They essentially had crap to trade for... other crap, no success with UFAs, and a shallow and unimpressive prospect pool. They've now solved two of those problems (top end talent & prospect pool), and the third is showing signs of turning around as well (J Schultz).

Old
03-13-2013, 11:00 AM
Up the Irons

it's interesting that, yesterday, Tambo held a presser and an interview on Ched's game broadcast and Sportsnet. a little crowd control, no doubt.

it's not just fickle fans like us questioning the Oiler's futility. Many pundits are suggesting that the Oilers should be better. Tambo's years of inaction are being exposed.

Tambo said they will be aggressive at the deadline, but he had a hardtime saying it and stuttered several times. he doesn't believe his own words.

he doesn't have a lot of options, either; he has created this situation by being so inept and passive for so long.

Old
03-13-2013, 11:02 AM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
Quote:
it's interesting that, yesterday, Tambo held a presser and an interview on Ched's game broadcast and Sportsnet. a little crowd control, no doubt.

it's not just fickle fans like us questioning the Oiler's futility. Many pundits are suggesting that the Oilers should be better. Tambo's years of inaction are being exposed.

Tambo said they will be aggressive at the deadline, but he had a hardtime saying it and stuttered several times. he doesn't believe his own words.

he doesn't have a lot of options, either; he has created this situation by being so inept and passive for so long.
I'm pretty sure he said he is ALWAYS aggressive at the deadline. That is my concern lol.

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 11:06 AM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Quote:

Even Matheson is saying this isn't Krueger's fault, that the roster has many problems and the team needs to be better. That's pretty harsh coming from Matty.

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 12:13 PM
oilfaninvan

Tambo thinks being aggressive means pounding the keys when dialing other GMs. He also said he wouldn't give up youth.... So good luck being "aggressive" getting a 7th rounder for Khabi.

I'll give Tambo credit when he's earned it, but dancing out in front of the media yesterday was just insulting.

oilfaninvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 01:25 PM
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...

Quote:

Booya42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 12:07 AM
Vagabond

Send a message via MSN to Vagabond
*bump*

Might as well give this thread a nudge.. you know somebody was gonna do it.. so it might as well be me. ;P

Somebody should turn this into a poll.

These firings will only happen I'm afraid if it effects Katz' wallet. If Katz was a true fan as well as a billionaire Owner; he'd see what we as the common fan sees. Kevin Lowe lost his marbles and Tambi cant hire a coach or make a GOOD major trade! Kevin Lowe hires all his blast form the past buddies and bathe in the glory of losing and selecting top 5 picks for what seems eternity!

I still cant get over how inept the upper management is as well as this putrid head coach in Krueger.

I have to say it; "Am I in the twilight zone..?? Dr. Phil

Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 03:16 AM
Real_Estate-Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoff View Post
A five year rebuild to acquire top end talent.

They have done the first three years perfectly(3 1st overalls) and starting now or this summer they have to supplement it.

This team isn't going to be a contender because of a trade or two they will by the young stars getting older and adding complementary pieces.
Management decided to end up last in the league for years? Shafting season ticket holders paying big bucks to be entertained? This is your justification for giving Kevin Lowe a large paycheck.....

If the plan was to let the young stars get older while compiling additional #1 picks - why did Kevin Lowe play them in the NHL immediately? Burning a year from their entry level contracts along the way?

If the plan was to end up last in the NHL year after year after year, any poster here - or Kevin Lowe could achieve that result!

Real_Estate-Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 03:33 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real_Estate-Agent View Post
Management decided to end up last in the league for years? Shafting season ticket holders paying big bucks to be entertained? This is your justification for giving Kevin Lowe a large paycheck.....

If the plan was to let the young stars get older while compiling additional #1 picks - why did Kevin Lowe play them in the NHL immediately? Burning a year from their entry level contracts along the way?

If the plan was to end up last in the NHL year after year after year, any poster here - or Kevin Lowe could achieve that result!
Actually, I'm not so sure. Finishing 30th once takes a special kind of ineptitude. Finishing last twice... wow. Being this close to last place four years in... that takes skill. The Blue Jackets are trying to cultivate a better environment, a winning environment but you better believe that they have designs on last or second last this year... unfortunately their players have different ideas and they're kind of ruining those plans (at the moment).

It's extremely tough to assemble a team that's as bad as this one for four straight years. A lot of things need to go wrong and fall into place.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 11:07 AM
rosemount289

Look at Montreal............?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
Even Matheson is saying this isn't Krueger's fault, that the roster has many problems and the team needs to be better. That's pretty harsh coming from Matty.
Did Montreal Canadians finish out of the playoffs last year? Did they not draft right after we did? Did they not change GM and the coaches? What place are they in the standings today?

So we have been doing this (out of playoffs) for at least 5 years..........no more excuses.......we have some good players, changed coaches......the only constant is the management..........do I have to say any more?

rosemount289 is offline   Reply With Quote