HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Pittsburgh @ Toronto | 9th March @ 7:00PM @ Air Canada Center

Closed Thread

Old
03-09-2013, 04:35 PM
Jag68Sid87

vCash: 500
I would absolutely dress Steve MacIntyre most nights. It's too bad he's hurt, I didn't know that. I would try to acquire John Scott from Buffalo now that their interim coach seems to have forgotten about him.

Let's go over this again...

- With a MacIntyre/Scott in the lineup, Crosby and Malkin take more five-on-five shifts with the fourth line. Neal, too. Anybody else going well, too. Mac gets 2-3 minutes, that leaves about 7 of Glass's useless minutes to someone good/great.

- With a MacIntyre/Scott in the lineup, things do tend to calm down. Sure, MacIntyre/Scott wouldn't have been on the ice when Gudbranson hit Malkin. But would the hit ever have happened? Would it have happened exactly the same way? Gudbranson's a tough SOB so probably, but then the temperature of the game would have gone up. We would have responded, and the message sent would have been clear: don't touch 87 or 71 or else it's going to be a bad night for you guys.

- With a MacIntyre/Scott in the lineup, guys tend to grow an inch...if not grow a pair entirely. Someone else ON the ice may have done something to Gudbranson, knowing full well we have a closer on the bench in case this thing REALLY escalates.

- When you have investments like Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin, you're telling me it's not worth $525,000 to give them a little added protection? But we're OK with paying a guy $1.1 million to do absolutely nothing on the ice?

- Ask any enforcer who did the job in the NHL...they serve a purpose and they can influence the outcome of games. Ask players, skilled players, if they love having them in the lineup and in the room.

I've probably forgotten a few things, but those are the main points. Everybody wants another Zdeno Chara. I get that. Everybody wants Chris Neil. Everybody wants Milan Lucic. Everybody wants the next Bob Probert, Cam Neely, Wendel Clark or Rick Tocchet. I GET THAT.

But when you don't have that, is it better to have Tanner Glass or Steve MacIntyre.

To me, it seems obvious. In fact, if you're in a tough conference and have to get through a certain team to win it all, as we will likely have to do against Boston and maybe LA, perhaps one big enforcer isn't enough. As Toronto has figured out.

Old
03-09-2013, 04:37 PM
bathroomSTAAL
The halcyon days

GDT is already in "trailing mid-game" form I see.

Old
03-09-2013, 04:37 PM
domaug*
Flahr Pahr

Quote:
Originally Posted by black charger View Post
If you guys want some toughness,maybe we can make a deal.Any three of our players for Crosby.
no, that's fine. the Leafs don't have any combination of players that could even get the Pens to briefly entertain the thought of considering trading Crosby for even a femtosecond

Old
03-09-2013, 04:39 PM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zatch88 View Post
are you aware that the pens are currently 1st in the division and 2nd in the conference?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
dude, we should be more like the leafs.
I prefer having Crosby and Malkin, but the Leafs have some nice depth and structure and are really hard to play against. There's nothing wrong with how that team is currently built, other than their lack of a #1C and a true top#1D

Old
03-09-2013, 04:39 PM
bathroomSTAAL
The halcyon days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin View Post
Shhhhh. Being tough is just a myth. It means nothing. Much better to have a team of small, soft, fast guys, like Zach Boychuk and Tyler Kennedy. We need 4 lines and 6 d'men that can skate and score. There's no place in the league for things like checking, hitting, agitating, fighting, intimidating, etc.
yeah man, this board is stuffed with people who love Boychuk and Kennedy. Honestly the praise for Kennedy is a little over-the-top.

Old
03-09-2013, 04:40 PM
TheStinger
Non Omnis Moriar

What is all this McIntyre talk about? He is an ape who has somehow figured out the manual dexterity with which to pick up a stick, but aside from that he brings nothing positive to a team whatsoever.....except for being able to go ******* when he feels like it. And that is not always helpful.

We don't need a goon. We need tough players who can actually play and despite all the negativity towards him around here, I think Glass can actually play.

Old
03-09-2013, 04:40 PM
Fordy
the kid signify

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
I would absolutely dress Steve MacIntyre most nights. It's too bad he's hurt, I didn't know that. I would try to acquire John Scott from Buffalo now that their interim coach seems to have forgotten about him.

- With a MacIntyre/Scott in the lineup, Crosby and Malkin take more five-on-five shifts with the fourth line. Neal, too. Anybody else going well, too. Mac gets 2-3 minutes, that leaves about 7 of Glass's useless minutes to someone good/great.

- With a MacIntyre/Scott in the lineup, things do tend to calm down. Sure, MacIntyre/Scott wouldn't have been on the ice when Gudbranson hit Malkin. But would the hit ever have happened? Would it have happened exactly the same way? Gudbranson's a tough SOB so probably, but then the temperature of the game would have gone up. We would have responded, and the message sent would have been clear: don't touch 87 or 71 or else it's going to be a bad night for you guys.

- With a MacIntyre/Scott in the lineup, guys tend to grow an inch...if not grow a pair entirely. Someone else ON the ice may have done something to Gudbranson, knowing full well we have a closer on the bench in case this thing REALLY escalates.

- When you have investments like Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin, you're telling me it's not worth $525,000 to give them a little added protection? But we're OK with paying a guy $1.1 million to do absolutely nothing on the ice?

- Ask any enforcer who did the job in the NHL...they serve a purpose and they can influence the outcome of games. Ask players, skilled players, if they love having them in the lineup and in the room.

I've probably forgotten a few things, but those are the main points. Everybody wants another Zdeno Chara. I get that. Everybody wants Chris Neil. Everybody wants Milan Lucic. Everybody wants the next Bob Probert, Cam Neely, Wendel Clark or Rick Tocchet. I GET THAT.

But when you don't have that, is it better to have Tanner Glass or Steve MacIntyre.

To me, it seems obvious. In fact, if you're in a tough conference and have to get through a certain team to win it all, as we will likely have to do against Boston and maybe LA, perhaps one big enforcer isn't enough. As Toronto has figured out.
Look at that, someone actually provided real reasons for why they think we should have enforcers. I guess it's not as hard as people make it look.

Old
03-09-2013, 04:41 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
I don't think Mac is the answer, just because he isn't proactive enough. Even when he was healthy, he'd usually just stand around and glare at people. Get involved, pull someone out of a scrum, shove someone, do something.

I'm not saying he needed to go Beruzzi or Simon on someone, but at least let them know you're there. Why is 5'10 180 lb Bobby Farnham fighting Jay Rosehill while Mac just stands there?

Old
03-09-2013, 04:42 PM
black charger

Quote:
Originally Posted by domaug View Post
no, that's fine. the Leafs don't have any combination of players that could even get the Pens to briefly entertain the thought of considering trading Crosby for even a femtosecond
i can dream,can't I.

Old
03-09-2013, 04:43 PM
Terrapin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordy View Post
You seriously say this EVERY TIME someone disagrees with you. It wasn't funny or clever the first time. Every person that doesn't think the same way as you is not some caricature and exaggerating everything everyone says in response to you doesn't make you right.

Play a new record for once.
I'm honored that you follow and memorize my posts. And whenever there's a mention of the lack of toughness on this team, you're right on cue to promote your pacifist point of view. Again, I'm honored.

Old
03-09-2013, 04:43 PM
MichiganWolverines
Big Mac Attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStinger View Post
What is all this McIntyre talk about? He is an ape who has somehow figured out the manual dexterity with which to pick up a stick, but aside from that he brings nothing positive to a team whatsoever.....except for being able to go ******* when he feels like it. And that is not always helpful.

We don't need a goon. We need tough players who can actually play and despite all the negativity towards him around here, I think Glass can actually play.
Who is McIntyre?

Old
03-09-2013, 04:46 PM
TheStinger
Non Omnis Moriar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganWolverines View Post
Who is McIntyre?
Sorry, MacIntyre. Shows how far from my mind this guy is. I don't even know how to spell his name correctly.

Old
03-09-2013, 04:46 PM
Fordy
the kid signify

The whole "more minutes for the stars" thing has kind of piqued my interest. Anything to get Glass out of the lineup really.

Old
03-09-2013, 04:49 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:

After PP's it's crucial to have a 4th line that can eat up time while the top 6 rests. You just can't play those two forever.

Yes the hit still would have happened. All Mac could have done is take a bad instigator in which doesn't help us win

How does having him on the bench protect anybody? Players are still going to do what they do.

Maybe if you ask some one from the 80's

I think you're in denial that the era of the enforcer had ended. The game is too fast for them to take regular shifts. They can't go after the guys who take the cheap shots because it would result in a penalty if not more. It's run it's course. They really don't deter anything anymore. They just provide a side show.

Old
03-09-2013, 04:49 PM
Fordy
the kid signify

Quote:
I'm honored that you follow and memorize my posts. And whenever there's a mention of the lack of toughness on this team, you're right on cue to promote your pacifist point of view. Again, I'm honored.
Not at all actually, there's just been so many of them that they start to look familiar. And as a matter of fact I just made a post changing my mind because someone else made the argument you weren't capable of.

Nice try.

Old
03-09-2013, 04:50 PM
MichiganWolverines
Big Mac Attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Arcade View Post
I don't think Mac is the answer, just because he isn't proactive enough. Even when he was healthy, he'd usually just stand around and glare at people. Get involved, pull someone out of a scrum, shove someone, do something.

I'm not saying he needed to go Beruzzi or Simon on someone, but at least let them know you're there. Why is 5'10 180 lb Bobby Farnham fighting Jay Rosehill while Mac just stands there?
I am pretty sure that he was trying to fight Pierre-Luc Leblond, perhaps the coaching staff told him to play with more discipline. But, who knows? Maybe he has lost his adrenaline.

Old
03-09-2013, 04:53 PM
Terrapin

Quote:
Not at all actually, there's just been so many of them that they start to look familiar. And as a matter of fact I just made a post changing my mind because someone else made the argument you weren't capable of.

Nice try.
Those reasons have been posted tons of times before. Guess you missed them.

Old
03-09-2013, 04:54 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganWolverines View Post
I am pretty sure that he was trying to fight Pierre-Luc Leblond, perhaps the coaching staff told him to play with more discipline. But, who knows? Maybe he has lost his adrenaline.
He asked PL3 to fight politely and then gave up when he declined, George Laraque style.

I think MacIntyre has lost his edge, if you're going to fight twice a year, why bother?

I don't think it's on the coaching staff, because they have no problem sending other guys out there to stir things up.

Old
03-09-2013, 04:54 PM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Whether or not enforcers have a place is moot, this organization has clearly put an end to fights for fighting sake.

Not giving a judgment either way, merely stating my opinion (as a fact) based on what has transpired since the Islanders debacle.

Old
03-09-2013, 04:55 PM
domaug*
Flahr Pahr

Quote:
Originally Posted by black charger View Post
i can dream,can't I.
i suppose you could. i don't even really blame you either.

Old
03-09-2013, 04:55 PM
Fordy
the kid signify

Quote:
Those reasons have been posted tons of times before. Guess you missed them.
I guess they must have been your alt accounts. I'm extremely sorry for never hearing them before, I'll make sure to browse the literature before responding to you again.

Old
03-09-2013, 04:57 PM
Terrapin

Quote:
I guess they must have been your alt accounts.
Guess so.

Old
03-09-2013, 05:01 PM
bathroomSTAAL
The halcyon days

You guys shake hands now, y'hear?

Old
03-09-2013, 05:15 PM
Fordy
the kid signify

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathroomSTAAL View Post
You guys shake hands now, y'hear?
Haha it got heated for a sec.

Old
03-09-2013, 05:22 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Didn't MacIntyre have a stint last year and he tried to fight people but no-one wanted to?

Closed Thread