HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Jake Gardiner to the Oilers

Old
03-10-2013, 07:56 AM
AlMo

vCash: 500
Whats with all these "conditions" placed in deals? A lottery protected 1st rd pick? A top 3 protected first rd pick? What is this the NBA? There will be no conditions placed on first round picks, until today I don't recall ever seeing such a condition.

If the Oilers did want Gardiner, it would cost them. Your 1st rounder is the most logical, since the "big 4" forwards won't be moved, and you don't get choose if that's a first overall or 10th overall.

AlMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 08:04 AM
416Leafer

I dont really see a good trade between these teams. Toronto needs upgrades at centre and on the blueline... Same as Edmonton...

People are talking about Toronto trading for Yakupov? WHY would the Leafs do that? If theyre giving up a package of that calibre, its not going to be for a small defensively liable winger, regardless of skill level. Its going to be for a Centre or D.

416Leafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 08:26 AM
CarknerCountry

Leafs over value once again lol..If Gardiner can land Edmonton's potential top 5 pick and Yaks i would hate too see what Karlsson can get lol...

Gardiner is not WORTH a top 10 pick as we speak..One 30 point season does not make you a star..

Wonder what Hamilton or a Bodin is worth.. They hold way more value then Gardiner..And Hamilton wouldnt get you a top 5 pick and a yaks..

CarknerCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 08:33 AM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Podium View Post
Gardiner + 2013 1st for Eberle if it at the deadline we are in a playoff spot. However that would cause more of a log jam at W. Id also be open to Gardiner for a likely top 10 pick, but thats risky and likely not the type of deal Nonis should be pursuing.
or the oilers could draft a top d- prospect and keep Eberle. Leafs pick could be around 20+ if they keep things up.

HOW about Colborne, Gardiner and your first for Eberle and two seconds?

03-10-2013, 08:36 AM
TMLFC
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeder9 View Post
It'd be interesting to see how an actual GM would react if you copped an attitude like that with them
I'm not an actual GM, and neither is anyone here.

How is that attitude? It seemed pretty diplomatic when I was typing it.

I'll play along:

Other GM: "Hey, we were looking at Gardiner....your NHL club looks good defensively and Gardiner is sitting in the AHL, care to move him?"
Leafs: "I don't refuse a proposal, what are you thinking?"
Other GM: "Well, considering he hasn't stuck with your NHL team this year, we can offer someone with similar value on Offense? lets say [AHLer with upside] and [a pick]."
Leafs: "Sorry Mr. GM, our value of Gardiner and your value of him seem to be quite a bit different; As it sits we don't have any intention on moving Jake unless it's something that helps our team now and in the future. We aren't looking for a sideways move, But thanks for the proposal.

Better?

TMLFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 09:23 AM
ashs

Leafs should trade phaneuf for Magnus. Then trade gardiner for edm 1st pick this year. Then trade kessel for their #1 center.

Leafs have a closet full of d, we definitely need to move some. Gardner is a stud, I don't mind trading to edm if we can get Drouin

ashs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 09:25 AM
TieClark

It doesn't work imo... the Leafs would want a young forward with just as much upside. The Oilers wouldn't deal anything they have now that fits that bill and I doubt they'd be willing to trade their 1st even if it's top 5 protected.

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 09:28 AM
ashs

What about Sam gagne + 1st for phaneuf and gardiner

Old
03-10-2013, 09:30 AM
TMLFC
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashs View Post
What about Sam gagne + 1st for phaneuf and gardiner
Log jam of 2nd line Centers.

Old
03-10-2013, 09:31 AM
jokerboysmith

Gagner for Gardiner straight up

jokerboysmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 09:32 AM
ashs

Well regardless I would want phaneuf and Gardner traded as I'm more excited about Reilly and Percy .

Old
03-10-2013, 09:39 AM
TMLFC
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerboysmith View Post
1st line.Bozak
2nd line. Kadri
3rd line. Gagner
4th line. Grabovski
5th line. McClement
6th line. Steckel

Just a couple more 'average' centers away from icing 2 teams.

Old
03-10-2013, 09:41 AM
TieClark

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashs View Post
Well regardless I would want phaneuf and Gardner traded as I'm more excited about Reilly and Percy .
... why wouldn't you just keep all of them? You need 6 of them to ice a team

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 09:46 AM
calcal798

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerboysmith View Post
Leafs wouldn't accept Gagner for Bozak, why would we accept that.

calcal798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 10:02 AM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
or the oilers could draft a top d- prospect and keep Eberle. Leafs pick could be around 20+ if they keep things up.

HOW about Colborne, Gardiner and your first for Eberle and two seconds?
So Colborne for 2 seconds? OK!

The Podium is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 10:05 AM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarknerCountry View Post
Leafs over value once again lol..If Gardiner can land Edmonton's potential top 5 pick and Yaks i would hate too see what Karlsson can get lol...

Gardiner is not WORTH a top 10 pick as we speak..One 30 point season does not make you a star..

Wonder what Hamilton or a Bodin is worth.. They hold way more value then Gardiner..And Hamilton wouldnt get you a top 5 pick and a yaks..
Give me one poster who said top 5 pick + Yakupov

BTW even though Gardiner is not worth a top 10 pick what do you propose we do, give him away so Leaf fans dont look stupid on HF? Think logically man, we dont need Gagner, we dont need Klef, we dont need Hemsky, we arent getting 1 of the big 5 unless we add significantly, so when an Edmonton fan asks what we want for Gardiner a Top 10 pick or Gardiner + for one of the forwards is the most feasible answer.

The Podium is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 10:32 AM
htpwn

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnoctophas View Post
Jake Gardiner seems to be the victim of the numbers game right now in Toronto, and while I certainly believe he has more value to the Leafs than Mike Kostka and Leo Komarov, I doubt many Leafs fans consider him "the future anchor of the defense" anymore. With the way Franson, Phaneuf, and to a lesser extent Gunnarson are playing right now, the Leafs defense is in pretty good shape. With Morgan Reilly potentially gobbling up a spot next season, Jake Gardiner could find himself playing as the #4/5 dman again next season. However, on the Oilers Gardiner would be the perfect defence partner for Justin Schultz, and it'd be much easier for him to beat out Nick Schultz and Ladislav Smid for a top pairing spot than Phaneuf, Reilly, and Franson.

Leafs fans know exactly which 5 players not to ask for, and lets be honest, even the biggest homers can see that his value isn't enough for any of them. That being said, everything else on the Oilers is on the table for him including Sam Gagner and the Oilers 1st round pick (unless top 4). What would it take to pry Gardiner away from the Leafs?
Far, far more than Oilers fan seem to be willing to pay.

Gardiner will not be traded for older players, he will not be traded for quantity over quality. If you want a young, blue-chip prospect, then offer up one in return.

htpwn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 11:01 AM
ashs

Gardiner for edm 1st it is then

Old
03-10-2013, 11:08 AM
Trafalgar McLaw
Waive Dallas Eakins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rielly4 View Post
No one on your team would be worth trading Jake for... Except the Nuge... Jake has all the tools and is a high end talent.
I feel Gardiner can become a high end talent, but Nonis would do backflips in the street if the Leafs could do even Gardiner in a package for one of Hall, Eberle, or Yakupov, let alone straight up.

Trafalgar McLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 11:27 AM
cyris
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlMo View Post
Whats with all these "conditions" placed in deals? A lottery protected 1st rd pick? A top 3 protected first rd pick? What is this the NBA? There will be no conditions placed on first round picks, until today I don't recall ever seeing such a condition.

If the Oilers did want Gardiner, it would cost them. Your 1st rounder is the most logical, since the "big 4" forwards won't be moved, and you don't get choose if that's a first overall or 10th overall.
Picks have conditions placed on them all the time.
The pick going to Cbus from LA in the carter trade had conditions on it.
As did the pick in the Johnson/Stewart trade the year before.

cyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 11:29 AM
cyris
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy8920 View Post
1st line.Bozak
2nd line. Kadri
3rd line. Gagner
4th line. Grabovski
5th line. McClement
6th line. Steckel

Just a couple more 'average' centers away from icing 2 teams.
LOL and Colbourne can center the 7th line too. Centers we have, #1 center not so much.

cyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 11:34 AM
Crisp Breakout

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlMo View Post

The Blues top ten protected their first round pick in the Erik Johnson trade.

The Kings playoff protected their 2012 first in the Jack Johnson trade.

It happens.

Crisp Breakout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 11:51 AM
KesselLooksLikeRadar*

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnoctophas View Post
I feel Gardiner can become a high end talent, but Nonis would do backflips in the street if the Leafs could do even Gardiner in a package for one of Hall, Eberle, or Yakupov, let alone straight up.
Eh, probably not. In a vacuum, sure, those players would be nice; but right now, we have such a surplus of wingers it's a little funny

KesselLooksLikeRadar* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 12:22 PM
Riellyfan04

Gardiner for Edm first and something. That pick will be a top 10 pick and thats a solid return for Gards. Lots of leafs fan are overrating Gards.. He will never get u any of the top 4 from Oilers....

Riellyfan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 12:26 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

vCash: 126
Fans think they can get him on the cheap because they don't see him playing in the NHL, unfortunately for them that won't be happening. Once he's up he'll showcase his talents all over again and these threads where hes undervalued can die down.

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote