HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leafs Roster analysis - Defense - Dion Phaneuf

View Poll Results: What is Dion Phaneuf?
Elite Defenseman 12 11.21%
1A Defenseman 54 50.47%
1B Defenseman 30 28.04%
2A Defenseman 11 10.28%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
03-10-2013, 02:43 PM
zeke
#freewilly

vCash: 500
In fact, I'm not sure Weber is even capable of doing what Dion did last night.

Old
03-10-2013, 02:46 PM
leach11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hero View Post
This is a bit ridiculous. This has been discussed to death.

Phaneuf is in the 30-35 range in best D in the league. He's one of the best 1B in the league.
You have got to be kidding me. He's top 15 at the very least.

Old
03-10-2013, 02:54 PM
Duffman955

If phaneuf was consistent and had a reliable partner, he would be better than weber.

Old
03-10-2013, 03:09 PM
thewave

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
In fact, I'm not sure Weber is even capable of doing what Dion did last night.
Weber is elite, Ottawa possibly has a generational talent on their hands, super elite may be fitting. Dion has been a spotty 1a D but this year is back in elite form.

Old
03-10-2013, 03:09 PM
Pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman955 View Post
If phaneuf was consistent and had a reliable partner, he would be better than weber.
People don't get this stuff though..

Weber plays in a very defensive system..they will defend a 0-0 lead to the shoot out to win.

Phaneuf plays in a system that values defense just as much as offense.

Did anyone see Crosby last night? He was BUZZING. He could have had 4-5 points yesterday if not for Phaneuf.

Anyone who doesn't think Phaneuf is a top 15 D is insane.

Tell me 15 defenseman that put up 40-45 points, play 25+ mins a night against tough competition, do good on PP, PK and ES all while playing with partners like:

Aulie, Komisarek, Beauchemin, Holzer, Kostka etc...the best defenseman he was partnered with was Gunnar.

Old
03-10-2013, 03:10 PM
number72

A prime Markov was able to carry Komisarek into the all star game and throughout the playoffs.

This is something Phaneuf has not managed when paired with the lesser dman such as - komisarek, Aulie, Kostka or (AHLer hozler) etc. Phaneuf has looked best with Gunnarson but Gunnar can carry a 2a/b pairing and is better defensively then Komisarek. This shows there is more ground for Phaneuf to improve before he can be considered a true 1A or elite defender. [I don't consider Markov elite and more of a 1A and so this has me view Phaneuf as 1B]. That is, Phaneuf is an average top pairing defender but not enough to carry a team/partner like others can.

Also, it should be mentioned that he has improved his defensive game since joining the leafs (but at the cost of his offensive #s something that prevents him from being elite) so Phaneuf is on the high side of 1B and on the low side of a 1A defender and definitely improving his game. But I don't think he is a good enough defender on his own for a stanley cup team on his own like say a Chara. However, if paired with another 1B or better then that pairing will be more effective and what is required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hero View Post
This is a bit ridiculous. This has been discussed to death.

Phaneuf is in the 30-35 range in best D in the league. He's one of the best 1B in the league.
I think he is cusp 1B/1A player. Maybe too good for 1B but not good enough for a 1A. He has improved his defensive game considerabley (but at the cost of his offensive #) though if he continues to improve his defence he maybe considered a 1A in a couple years.

Last edited by number72: 03-10-2013 at 03:16 PM.
Old
03-10-2013, 03:16 PM
johnny_rudeboy

A 1B d-man. But he have lots of years to improve his game. Think him becoming a legit #1 d-man is just around the corner.

Old
03-10-2013, 03:17 PM
Pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by number72 View Post
A prime Markov was able to carry Komisarek into the all star game and throughout the playoffs.

This is something Phaneuf has not managed when paired with the lesser dman such as - komisarek, Aulie, Kostka or (AHLer hozler) etc. Phaneuf has looked best with Gunnarson but Gunnar can carry a 2a/b pairing and is better defensively then Komisarek. This shows there is more ground for Phaneuf to improve before he can be considered a true 1A or elite defender. [I don't consider Markov elite and more of a 1A and so this has me view Phaneuf as 1B]. That is, Phaneuf is an average top pairing defender but not enough to carry a team/partner like others can.

Also, it should be mentioned that he has improved his defensive game since joining the leafs (but at the cost of his offensive #s something that prevents him from being elite) so Phaneuf is on the high side of 1B and on the low side of a 1A defender and definitely improving his game. But I don't think he is a good enough defender on his own for a stanley cup team on his own like say a Chara. However, if paired with another 1B or better then that pairing will be more effective and what is required.

I think he is cusp 1B/1A player. Maybe too good for 1B but not good enough for a 1A. He has improved his defensive game considerabley (but at the cost of his offensive #) though if he continues to improve his defence he maybe considered a 1A in a couple years.
Please...Komisarek was carried by the Hab fans into the All star game.

Also, Komisarek wasn't some scrub, he was a 7th overall pick that played good hockey, then fought Lucic...and had a shoulder injury.

Old
03-10-2013, 03:32 PM
TheKule

Phaneuf can hold down the fort for 27 minutes a game, getting as many scoring chances as he gives up, against some of the games best scorers. He's a number 1 dman, which necessarily makes him top 30 at the position. Add in his powerplay mastery and leadership, I think you could make an argument for him being top 20.

Old
03-10-2013, 03:39 PM
KesselLooksLikeRadar*
The People's Champ

When we got Phaneuf, I knew that his play had slightly diminished, so, I never thought he'd be the be all and end all for us. However, watching him play now, I couldn't have asked for anything better. That trade that got him was sheer robbery

Old
03-10-2013, 03:44 PM
Dreakmur

I'm probably harder on Phaneuf than most. I've said for a long time that he's not a legit #1 defenseman.

He is, however, a legit top pairing guy. Maybe he's not a #1, but there's no way you can argue that he isn't a very good #2. That easily makes him a 1A.

Old
03-10-2013, 03:54 PM
number72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
Please...Komisarek was carried by the Hab fans into the All star game.

Also, Komisarek wasn't some scrub, he was a 7th overall pick that played good hockey, then fought Lucic...and had a shoulder injury.
That is the question on Komisarek - did Makov carry him or did Komi somehow just get worse and even below holzer AHL level post injury. From what I have seen Markov carried komisarek and this is something that Phaneuf has never accomplished with comparable talent. That said he looks good with better talent like gunnar but that is not a reliable stanley cup top pairing. Phaneuf needs help and that has me label him a 1B.

Old
03-10-2013, 03:59 PM
sgupca

He's a top pairing dman who's lacking a big, reliable stay at home dman.

It's a shame Komi sucks, because he'd be perfect in that #2 spot.

Old
03-10-2013, 05:22 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

1B because he's inconsistent

Old
03-10-2013, 05:30 PM
leafspring*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
1B because he's inconsistent
I just posted special team report that he is a large part of and they are top 10 average in the league. Top 9.5% combined actually.

Old
03-10-2013, 05:32 PM
firstemperor

1b/2A on a contending team. I wouldn't even say he's an established 1A on this team, he's just getting preferential treatment and has the reputation to boot. But in terms of actual play? Can anyone here, who has watched all leaf games and a handful of other hockey games (at the very least) say with a straight face he's a 1A defenseman?

Old
03-10-2013, 05:35 PM
leafspring*

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstemperor View Post
1b/2A on a contending team. I wouldn't even say he's an established 1A on this team, he's just getting preferential treatment and has the reputation to boot. But in terms of actual play? Can anyone here, who has watched all leaf games and a handful of other hockey games (at the very least) say with a straight face he's a 1A defenseman?
First off this is a contending team holding its own in the standings league wide.

Old
03-10-2013, 05:44 PM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

15ish Dman.

LOL at 30-35.

He's at around Yandle/EJ level. Above the Burns/Campbell level.

Old
03-10-2013, 05:53 PM
rdawg1234

Needs a better partner, I thought he was great in the pittsburgh game, making alot of smart moves but his partner holzer was turning over the puck like crazy.

Who can we potentially target? or who could be his partner internally?

Old
03-10-2013, 06:13 PM
oneoftheseyears

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdawg1234 View Post
Needs a better partner, I thought he was great in the pittsburgh game, making alot of smart moves but his partner holzer was turning over the puck like crazy.

Who can we potentially target? or who could be his partner internally?
This definitely needs to be addressed soon.
I was looking through some other teams rosters and a name that stood out to me was Kevin Klein. No idea if he's available though.

Old
03-10-2013, 06:17 PM
thewave

This place is confusing, a 1c is considered someone like Mats and is elite yet with D a 1a (d) is not considered elite so...just kinda make it up as you go along i guess

Old
03-10-2013, 06:21 PM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

1A in my books. A very good defenseman who has a lot on his plate every night. And he's been doing it all with rookies as his partner (Kostka, Holzer). Not an easy job, and yet the Leafs are one of the best goal differential teams in the league and are in the top half for GA.

Old
03-10-2013, 07:06 PM
firstemperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafspring View Post
First off this is a contending team holding its own in the standings league wide.
I wouldn't be so fast to say that, we haven't exactly earned that distinction yet. Irregardless, let's say you are correct (hypothetically), Dion isn't even the best defenseman on this team. And in your own words, we are a "contending team".

Old
03-10-2013, 07:46 PM
Tie Domi Esquire
;;

Quote:
I wouldn't be so fast to say that, we haven't exactly earned that distinction yet. Irregardless, let's say you are correct (hypothetically), Dion isn't even the best defenseman on this team. And in your own words, we are a "contending team".
Who is better than Phaneuf on the Leafs?

Old
03-10-2013, 07:49 PM
Pyromaniac3

Quote:
Tell me who it is so so I can laugh. No one comes close, not even Gardiner or Reilly, to Phaneuf in being the best defenseman in the organization.

Closed Thread