HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nazem Kadri: Ready to take the next step?

Old
01-18-2013, 02:48 PM
Neil Hamburger
Five Bagger!

vCash: 50
Nazem Kadri: Ready to take the next step?

This will be the first time Naz will be starting the season with the big club. He's under a new coach in Randy Carlyle who seems to like him a great deal more than Wilson. After a slow start to the year, he's played great recently with the Marlies and is in mid-season form already while many players won't quite be ready after the lockout. The kid just turned 22 in October, and is of an age where many players break into the league. I think there's a good chance that if Kadri performs for Carlyle this season he could make someone like Macarthur expendable around the deadline in order to pick up some assets while making room in the top-six for Kadri, and top-nine for Frattin.

Is this going to be the year Kadri finally becomes a full-time Leaf?

Neil Hamburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 02:48 PM
SteveV*

vCash: 500
Yes I believe this is the year since he made the team.

SteveV* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 02:50 PM
stakesishigh
how swede it is

vCash: 1857
Certainly hope so.

stakesishigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 02:51 PM
darrylsittler27

Things couldn't be going better for the kid.

He gets a fresh slate.He is here to stay. Wilson couldn't develop young talent, Carlyle is a former Norris defensmean with a cup.Pinch yourself Naz and give 'em hell.

darrylsittler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 02:56 PM
huge*

Send a message via MSN to huge* Send a message via Skype™ to huge*
Doubt it

huge* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 02:57 PM
Jerkini

It looks like he's going to get the opportunity, so really his future is in his hands.

Jerkini is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 03:00 PM
eyeball11

Yes, I would think so. He's right on pace with where you would expect for someone selected in his range. It's really this year and next year for him to show he belongs. I believe he does. NHL calibre skill was always there. If he had Frattin's physique he'd have already been in the show. Glad they took their time with him though and thrilled they're doing what I hoped and letting him grow in a 3rd line role with less pressure.

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 03:04 PM
Pi

Yes and I am so excited that we traded for JvR.

Asking Kadri to perform with Lombardi and Connolly on his line is basically like telling him, "We don't care about you."

Thank you Nonis. I highly doubt Burke would have been able to send Connolly down.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 03:04 PM
FireEverybody*

I think we are about to find out.

FireEverybody* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 03:09 PM
HockeyGuruPitka

I definitely do. Carlyle would have kept him last year if he wasn't an emergency call up. Carlyle is giving him a fresh start. Kadri will start showing his potential, LOVE that hes on the opening day roster.

I mean i think the organization knows that IF Kadri stays in the minors, his value just washes away. If hes in pro hockey and shows half of what hes capable of I.e 35-40 points. He gains value. Regardless i think he will be a leaf for a long time. Always have.

SOOO PUMPED FOR TOMORROW.

HockeyGuruPitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 03:10 PM
Lebanese Leaf

Like I said in the other thread, he is certainly being put in a position to succeed (finally). JVR-Kadri is a match made in heaven on paper, a big goal scoring winger with sky high potential, Centred by a nifty handed skilled C with good vision. JVR never got to play with Giroux in Philly (Hartnell was there at LW last year), so this will be the next closest thing for him, and he is poised to breakout as well.

Lebanese Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 04:12 PM
WildcatMapleLeafs28

I think so and the Connolly/Lombardi moves say so.

WildcatMapleLeafs28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 04:23 PM
Crispy Crust

http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/20...HL-development

excellent article.

Crispy Crust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 04:29 PM
leafsfuture

I am hoping for 40 points from Naz.

He has 19 points in 51 career NHL games (of which 1 was a CHL call up), and of course this came during 5 different NHL stints of various lengths (ranging from 17 games to 2 games). This included time mainly on the 4th line, and he spent significant time 2 years ago with Boyce and Crabb. Now he has JVR, and to start Komarov

leafsfuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 04:33 PM
Epictetus
YNWA

vCash: 150
It's not so much if he's ready; but it's that he has to be ready.

Epictetus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 04:34 PM
dimi78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanese Leaf View Post
Like I said in the other thread, he is certainly being put in a position to succeed (finally). JVR-Kadri is a match made in heaven on paper, a big goal scoring winger with sky high potential, Centred by a nifty handed skilled C with good vision. JVR never got to play with Giroux in Philly (Hartnell was there at LW last year), so this will be the next closest thing for him, and he is poised to breakout as well.
Actually they did play together in the playoffs and were Philly's best 2 forwards that lead to the contract JVR signed and the trades of Richards's and Carter in the off season...

I agree JVR with Kadri is setting both up to succeed and with a guy like Komorov next to them will play IMO a huge role to them having success if the 2 can find chemistry which is the key. Komorov will do a lot of dirty work, puck retrieval , screens in front of the net etc. but he's also skilled enough to make plays with these 2. I got to say it my expectations of this line if chemistry is found it will be more dangerous than the MGK line.

Really excited about that line.

dimi78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 04:56 PM
MapleLeafs9
We're almost ready.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimi78 View Post
Actually they did play together in the playoffs and were Philly's best 2 forwards that lead to the contract JVR signed and the trades of Richards's and Carter in the off season...

I agree JVR with Kadri is setting both up to succeed and with a guy like Komorov next to them will play IMO a huge role to them having success if the 2 can find chemistry which is the key. Komorov will do a lot of dirty work, puck retrieval , screens in front of the net etc. but he's also skilled enough to make plays with these 2. I got to say it my expectations of this line if chemistry is found it will be more dangerous than the MGK line.

Really excited about that line.
Not really sure how I feel about JvR playing on the 3rd line though. Was almost certain he was brought in here for a top 6 role.

MapleLeafs9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 04:57 PM
AddMan3001
Don't poke the bear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispy Crust View Post
Good read. Funny how two prospects can be so similar yet viewed so differently.

with that said, Kadri looks ready and sounds ready. I couldn't be happier to see what a prospect of ours can do when they are slowly brought along and not thrown into the NHL at 18 or 19. (edit: or traded for that matter)

AddMan3001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 05:00 PM
JAMmer124
Independent Living

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleLeafs9 View Post
Not really sure how I feel about JvR playing on the 3rd line though. Was almost certain he was brought in here for a top 6 role.
Kessel/Lupul line is #1, Grabo line 2A, JVR line 2B. Whichever is clicking best gets the extra minutes, that's how I see it anyway.

JAMmer124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 05:10 PM
dimi78

Quote:
Well your mistake is numbering lines. He was brought in for his size and offensive skills, he's playing with the 2nd most skilled forward in the entire organization in Kadri 2nd only to Kessel. That line will be asked to provide offense, the better they play the more ice time they will get and stay intact... Within the 3 lines on almost all teams 5-5 ice time is relatively the same through those lines, It's special teams like PP minutes where top 6 forwards earn that tittle with the added ice time. Make no mistake JVR will be on one of the two PP units

dimi78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 05:11 PM
Hockeylaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funk Volume View Post
Kessel/Lupul line is #1, Grabo line 2A, JVR line 2B. Whichever is clicking best gets the extra minutes, that's how I see it anyway.
Me too. We'll see what Carlyle does.

And yes, I think Kadri is ready to take the next step, but I'm not expecting anything truly exceptional from him.

Hockeylaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 05:13 PM
Carlton St Cashbox

I am so glad that Kadri made the team! I am so pumped for tomorrow's game. You watch, if he gets the proper playing time then he will have a decent season. Go Leafs Go!

Carlton St Cashbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 05:15 PM
Fogelhund

Quote:
I think people get too focused on defining which line is which. If this is like 10/11, you could have argued the Grabo line was the #1 line. Last year, you could argue that the Kessel line was #1. This year, the line that performs that best will be #1.

It is expected that JvR, Kessel and Lupul will be the forwards on the PP, so he'll get plenty of icetime. I'm not sure who will take the faceoffs in this situation though.

Think about this Kadri line though... Kadri was claimed to be the best forward in camp, in midseason form and on a roll, JvR new with the team and something to prove, and Komorov in midseason form, a ton of speed, goes to the dirty areas and was stuck in the KHL playing with Ovechkin and Backstrom as his linemates. Komorov can play with talent.

It isn't impossible that we will be rolling three lines of scoring threats, if the chemistry is found.

Fogelhund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 05:36 PM
BlueBaron

I think in Carlyle's way of thinking, the 2nd line is a shut down line so the third is free to generate some offense. Grab will deal with the Crosby types .

BlueBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 05:41 PM
Darylman

40 points? Maybe in an 82 game season. I think 20-25 would be great.

Darylman is offline   Reply With Quote