HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

#25 – Sabres at Devils – Thu Mar 7 – 7:00PM ET – TV: MSG-B – Radio: WGR-AM

Old
03-06-2013, 07:40 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
#25 – Sabres at Devils – Thu Mar 7 – 7:00PM ET – TV: MSG-B – Radio: WGR-AM

GDT #25: SABRES (9-13-2) at DEVILS (10-8-5) – THU MAR 7 – 7:00PM ET – TV: MSG-B – RADIO: WGR-AM

3.05 – Devils fall to Lightning, as Hedberg is pulled for Kinkaid (Rich Chere – The Star-Ledger)

3.05 – Sabres’ faults look familiar (John Vogl – The Buffalo News)

3.05 – Devils' DeBoer: 'I'm hoping this is rock bottom' (Rich Chere – The Star-Ledger)

3.06 – Sabres notebook: Miller maintains pace as duty calls (John Vogl – The Buffalo News)

3.06 – Devils' Frazee hopes to get a chance at his first NHL game (Rich Chere – The Star-Ledger)

3.06 – Devils' Lamoriello: No setback for Brodeur (Rich Chere – The Star-Ledger)

3.07 – Carryover effect may lead to sizzling rematch (John Vogl – The Buffalo News)

3.07 – Sabres notebook: Leino, in high spirits, plans his return (John Vogl – The Buffalo News)

3.07 – Halfway through disappointing season, Sabres’ playoff chances slim (Bill Hoppe – Olean Times Herald)
BUFFALO SABRES

Projected Lineup

26 Thomas Vanek ("A") - 19 Cody Hodgson - 29 Jason Pominville ("C")
9 Steve Ott - 63 Tyler Ennis - 42 Nathan Gerbe
82 Marcus Foligno - 12 Kevin Porter - 65 Brian Flynn
32 John Scott - 25 Mikhail Grigorenko - 21 Drew Stafford ("A")

10 Christian Ehrhoff - 57 Tyler Myers
24 Robyn Regehr - 44 Andrej Sekera
33 TJ Brennan - 6 Mike Weber

1 Jhonas Enroth
30 Ryan Miller

Lineup News & Notes

Patrick Kaleta (SSPD), Ville Leino (IR; hip), Jordan Leopold (IR; hand), Adam Pardy, John Scott and Alexander
Sulzer (IR; LBI) were scratched in Tuesday's 4-3 loss to Carolina. Kaleta remains out, as he serves game two of
his five-game suspension. Jhonas Enroth will start in goal, while Jochen Hecht is scratched in favor of John Scott.

Weekly Transactions

Buffalo recalled Brian Flynn last week, as Jordan Leopold was placed on injured reserve retroactive to Feb 19.

According to the Stats

Buffalo were 1-3-0 in four games versus New Jersey last season, with Ryan Miller starting three games, stopping
74 of 81 shots against (1-2-0, 2.29 GAA, .914 SV%). Jordan Leopold, with two goals and one assist, and Tyler
Myers, with two goals, were their leading scorers in the season series.
NEW JERSEY DEVILS

Projected Lineup

12 Alexei Ponikarovsky - 19 Travis Zajac - 17 Ilya Kovalchuk ("A")
26 Patrik Elias ("A") - 14 Adam Henrique - 23 David Clarkson
15 Stefan Matteau - 21 Andrei Loktionov - 18 Steve Bernier
20 Ryan Carter - 11 Stephen Gionta - 25 Tom Kostopoulos

24 Bryce Salvador ("C") - 2 Marek Zidlicky
6 Andy Greene - 29 Mark Fayne
28 Anton Volchenkov - 10 Peter Harrold

1 Johan Hedberg
31 Jeff Frazee

Lineup News & Notes

Martin Brodeur (IR; back), Peter Harrold, Stefan Matteau, Anton Volchenkov and Dainius Zubrus (IR; left wrist)
were scratched in Tuesday's 5-2 loss to Tampa Bay. Johan Hedberg will start in goal, with Harrold, Matteau and
Volchenkov also drawing back in. Krystofer Barch, Adam Larsson and Henrik Tallinder are scratched.

Weekly Transactions

New Jersey returned Tim Sestito to Albany last week, as Ryan Carter was activated from injured reserve. Bobby
Butler failed to clear waivers on Monday and was claimed by Nashville. Cam Janssen and Keith Kinkaid were
reassigned to Albany yesterday, as Jeff Frazee was recalled to back up Johan Hedberg. Tom Kostopoulos was
also added to their roster, as he was claimed off waivers from Pittsburgh.

According to the Stats

New Jersey were 3-0-1 in four games versus Buffalo last season, with Martin Brodeur playing every minute and
stopping 93 of 99 shots against (3-0-1, 1.47 GAA, .939 SV%). Patrik Elias, with two goals and four assists, and
Ilya Kovalchuk, with four goals and one assist, were their leading scorers in the season series.

A/V CLUB

3.02 – Highlights of Buffalo's 4-3 SOW over New Jersey. <5:15>

3.05 – Highlights of New Jersey's 5-2 loss to Tampa Bay. <4:05>

3.05 – Peter DeBoer speaks with the media following New Jersey's 5-2 loss to Tampa Bay. <2:30>

3.05 – Highlights of Buffalo's 4-3 loss to Carolina. <4:24>

3.05 – Ron Rolston speaks with the media following Buffalo's 4-3 loss to Carolina. <3:01>

3.06 – Peter DeBoer speaks with the media following New Jersey's practice. <6:16>

3.06 – Ron Rolston speaks with the media following Buffalo's practice. <4:26>

3.06 – Ryan Miller speaks with the media following Buffalo's practice. <2:46>

3.06 – Ville Leino speaks with the media following Buffalo's practice. <1:21>

3.06 – Jordan Leopold speaks with the media following Buffalo's practice. <0:55>

3.07 – Peter DeBoer speaks with the media following New Jersey's morning skate. <4:28>

3.07 – Ron Rolston speaks with the media following Buffalo's morning skate. <6:08>

GAMEDAY CHAT

IRC Server: irc.esper.net .. Channel: #sabres .. If you have questions: FYI - Sabres Chat

GAMEDAY STREAMS

GameCenter Live (subscription required) – ATDeeFirstRowWiziwig

Last edited by Woodhouse: 03-07-2013 at 05:44 PM.
Woodhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 08:10 PM
Clock

Oh man it's gonna be a BLOODBATH! Revenge game!

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 08:25 PM
Mr Orangeshirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
Oh man it's gonna be a BLOODBATH! Revenge game!
No Kaleta takes a lot of the drama out of it, unfortunately.

Mr Orangeshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 08:25 PM
TheyAreGoodScaryGood

If enroth starts we lose

TheyAreGoodScaryGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 08:36 PM
dma0034

vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
If enroth starts we lose
Copy and Paste for all remaining games

dma0034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 08:51 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
If enroth starts we lose
Enroth in for Mackinnon??

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 09:11 PM

Quote:
If enroth starts we lose
Hope he starts then

1972 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 10:44 PM
SwordsgoneWild

I sure hope the people of New Jersey hide all their kids,belongings,and pissy hockey fans,because the big bad Sabres are coming to town

SwordsgoneWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 11:25 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

Note: OP Additions - News

3.07 – Carryover effect may lead to sizzling rematch (John Vogl – The Buffalo News)

3.07 – Sabres notebook: Leino, in high spirits, plans his return (John Vogl – The Buffalo News)

3.07 – Halfway through disappointing season, Sabres’ playoff chances slim (Bill Hoppe – Olean Times Herald)

Woodhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 11:38 PM
Taro Tsujimoto

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Taro Tsujimoto
Swords 5, Evil Beings 3

Taro Tsujimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 12:07 AM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Really hope the Ott-Clarkson feud boils over. Devils are on a losing streak, Sabres need to start out strong and not let them get going.

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 12:13 AM
Tank For Reinhart
HFBoards Sponsor

Officially half way through the season and have to win 3 out of every 4 to make the playoffs. Count me in the category that hopes we lose. =/

Tank For Reinhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 01:13 AM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Stop winnin' for MacKinnon!

Taelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 06:25 AM
cardiffgiant
Race to the bottom!

Any chance that Ron Wilson puts Scott in the line up tonight? He does nice work down low.

cardiffgiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 07:14 AM
BowieSabresFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stop Winnin View Post
Enroth in for Mackinnon??
Not that I'm into this, but a better slogan I think would be...

Enroth in for Mackinnon win!!

Carry on.

p.s. I do hope the Devils don't cower in their locker rooms from the dirty, thuggish Sabres.

BowieSabresFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 07:34 AM
Duddy
Everyday is

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiffgiant View Post
Any chance that Ron Wilson puts Scott in the line up tonight? He does nice work down low.
I really doubt he uses him on his fantasy team.

Duddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 08:11 AM
Wisent42

Since this should be a physical and (hopefully) angry game, I hope Scott is in. With Gerbe's puck control (or lack thereof) in the last game, I'd prefer Scott. Atleast he's not as easy to move. Don't get me wrong, I love Gerbe, but his performance against the Bad Weather was nowhere near good. I was starting to wonder if he had borrowed someone else's skates and stick.

Prediction: Long Knifes 3, DeVilles 1
Goals: Vanek, Weber, Ott, Zach Paris Hilton

Wisent42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 08:11 AM
RattleYourSabre

I gotta tell you... I'm not a fan of seeing people cheering for this team to lose.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no fool (well, at least in this matter...or then again, maybe I am ). I know that losing could net us a VERY good player in Jones, MacKinnon, Drouin, Barkov, Lindholm, etc...

Having said that, how can you actively root for your team to lose? It hurts me inside to do that.

I'm of the mindset that wins are great and enjoyable, and losses aren't the end of the world due to the possible result of landing a great prospect. For me, it's gravy at this point.

And yes, I realize all fans are different. And no, I don't question your fanhood if you want the team to lose. I just don't comprehend how anyone could actually cheer for their team to lose. *shrug*

RattleYourSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 08:19 AM
cardiffgiant
Race to the bottom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddy View Post
I really doubt he uses him on his fantasy team.
He should consider it. Especially if the league has scoring categories like:
-Things that are really nice
-Moving your feet
-Doing the little things
-Talking and being active
-Working down low

Old
03-07-2013, 08:22 AM
cardiffgiant
Race to the bottom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RattleYourSabre View Post
I gotta tell you... I'm not a fan of seeing people cheering for this team to lose.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no fool (well, at least in this matter...or then again, maybe I am ). I know that losing could net us a VERY good player in Jones, MacKinnon, Drouin, Barkov, Lindholm, etc...

Having said that, how can you actively root for your team to lose? It hurts me inside to do that.

I'm of the mindset that wins are great and enjoyable, and losses aren't the end of the world due to the possible result of landing a great prospect. For me, it's gravy at this point.

And yes, I realize all fans are different. And no, I don't question your fanhood if you want the team to lose. I just don't comprehend how anyone could actually cheer for their team to lose. *shrug*
I agree with this completely. I can't be happy to see the team lose at all and continue to enjoy every win.

Old
03-07-2013, 08:25 AM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RattleYourSabre View Post

Watching this team before Rolston came around hurt me inside.

This is the same thing people that root for losing do, at least what I do anyway. I'd prefer getting Jones/Mackinnon/Drouin over getting the 9th seed(which is what is more likely to happen than making the playoffs). This team needs more talent, It's the perfect year to tank and getting a guy like Mackinnon would go a long way for this franchise.

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 08:40 AM
RattleYourSabre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stop Winnin View Post
Watching this team before Rolston came around hurt me inside.

This is the same thing people that root for losing do, at least what I do anyway. I'd prefer getting Jones/Mackinnon/Drouin over getting the 9th seed(which is what is more likely to happen than making the playoffs). This team needs more talent, It's the perfect year to tank and getting a guy like Mackinnon would go a long way for this franchise.
I do agree that I'd rather be awful than mediocre. Mediocrity begets mediocrity. But I just can't personally bring myself to cheer/hope this team loses.

I guess on my scale of what I'd like to see my teams be it's:

1) At the top (AKA: Playoff bound in any way, shape or form)
2) At the bottom (AKA: Solid draft selection)
3) Mediocre (No where near the top of the draft and just missing out on playoffs. This is purgatory and is NO good!)*

*= This is acceptable if you dealt a player to a poor team who in turn gave you a high first rounder.

Having said that, I still can't root for the team to lose.

RattleYourSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 08:45 AM
kirby11

RE: Rooting for the team to lose...I think people don't want to see the sabres become like the bills: They suck too much to make the playoffs, but not enough to draft elite talent (or if you're the bills, you get the 3rd pick in a draft and take mike williams ) and are trapped in an endless cycle of mediocrity.
Personally, I'm rooting for them to show signs of progress and I'll take whatever results come with that. I'd prefer they tank out this year, as they only have 24 games left at the moment, but I'm not hoping they lose. If they win more and are clearly playing better hockey, and Miller's not just stealing games for us, that's not a bad thing. If we play well but lose a lot and get a high pick, i'm not complaining about that either. I just want to see good hockey from them for a decent portion of the second half of the year.

Red Fiery Hell Creatures 4 (PPG by Kovalchuk, Zajac, Clarkson, Salvador)
Bayonets 2 (Hodgson, Ennis)

kirby11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 08:46 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Phew, thank God that Kaleta is suspended. I was scared to see Kovy or Henrique "smash his face in."

Anyways, I have little desire to watch two teams ranging from bad (us) to eminently mediocre (Devils). I'm currently searching for alternatives, and probably won't even DVR this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiffgiant View Post
Is that you, Rayzor?

Zip15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 09:04 AM
cardiffgiant
Race to the bottom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Is that you, Rayzor?
All I'm saying is that we might as well put a guy in the line up that can get things going down low (nicely). I mean, it's not like we have to worry about Steve Nash scoring on the powerplay tonight.