HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How bad is Tanner Glass?

Closed Thread

Old
03-10-2013, 08:31 AM
maroon 6
Live and let live

vCash: 179

Old
03-10-2013, 08:40 AM
pensfansince88

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by maroon 6 View Post
we still have another year of this dammit

Old
03-10-2013, 08:53 AM
Fire Shero*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules Winnfield View Post
Glass really sucks. By far the worst FA signing for Shero IMO. Overpaid and doesn't contribute solidly anywhere.

That said, the PK sucks this year not because of Glass. This is on Shero. Shero moved Staal and Michalek, who were both #1 for Forwards and #1 for Defensemen for the Pens for SH TOI. We didn't really replace Michalek with anyone and we now have Glass/Sutter for Staal. What did he expect would happen?
Agreed. I know Shero can do nothing wrong in most fans eyes, but the 3rd and 4th lines are atrocious this year. Since the pk is composed primarily of those players it's not surprising,

I hate disco, but how can anyone coach Glass? Please try not to suck so hard today Tanner. Maybe disco should be criticized since he continues to play Glass and other dead weight over guys like Vitale and Jeffrey.

I'm starting to think maybe disco gets blamed for Shero's mistakes.

Old
03-10-2013, 08:59 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Get Dupuis onto the third line and I think that line is good. I really do want to replace Glass with someone though. I don't care if they don't score. But they need to be able to cycle and make hits that are actually noticeable. Glass has a lot of hits, but do they have any effect? Right now, I'd rather Jeffrey in that spot. At least he has some talent. As is, our 4th line just has no identity. What does it do?

Old
03-10-2013, 10:23 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grave77digger View Post
I hope ray pulls the trigger on that entire 4th line. Theres no excuse for playing guys like adams and glass any more...
Leave Vitale and swap in Kennedy. Then the Cullen fans can be appeased.

Kunitz - Sid - Trade
Beauner - Geno - Neal
Cooke - Sutter - Dupuis
Jeffrey - Cullen - Vitale

Win.

Old
03-10-2013, 10:46 AM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Oh really? I'd like to see some proof of this. Why would the Pens mess with a top 3 PK from last year if it was working?

It's the same system minus two very important players that ate up PK minutes. Plus add in that Adams has lost any of his worth and here we are.
You mean proof besides actually watching the games and using your eyes to see the painfully obvious difference?

Old
03-10-2013, 01:28 PM
wgknestrick

The thing that irks me with Pens management signing Glass is that he is playing no different than he has shown in his 3 previous years in the NHL. Its not like he suddenly started playing poorly (ala Fedotenko, or Poni) despite decent success in the past. He has always sucked. ALWAYS. His stats are red flags everywhere. Pens sign him for not just 1 year, 2 years at a ridiculously high cap. This guy is a textbook replacement player.

If I was able to quickly scourer behindthenet.ca and determine he had the worst Corsi (on a bad WPG team), almost zero point production, and the worst +- / min played on each of his last 2 teams.....What the hell did the Penguins think they were getting, and why sign him for anything more than league min? The Pens had to know that he was worthless, right? I mean that I'm just some guy that follows hockey as a hobby. I saw this coming prior to a single game with Tanner Glass as a Penguin. The Pens should know more than us (the fans), right?

Hits are mf-ing value-less. They do nothing to help you win. Tanner Glass is the poster boy at understanding this fact.

Old
03-10-2013, 02:52 PM
lastcupever75
NY Roadkill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
He skates well, can play on the PK and he hits hard and often. What the hell did people want from a 4th liner? "

this board cracks me up. for years when we had GL,goddard,Mac we would hear "i dont want a goon who cant play hockey and is only seen in staged fights, we need someone who can keep up with the play, hit and stick up for teammates"

thats what we have now in glass and people are still B8tching

Old
03-10-2013, 02:54 PM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
You mean proof besides actually watching the games and using your eyes to see the painfully obvious difference?
I NEED A HANDWRITTEN AND SIGNED CONFESSION FROM BYLSMA THAT THE SYSTEM IS MORE PASSIVE THIS YEAR.

Or Else.

Old
03-10-2013, 02:56 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastcupever75 View Post

this board cracks me up. for years when we had GL,goddard,Mac we would hear "i dont want a goon who cant play hockey and is only seen in staged fights, we need someone who can keep up with the play, hit and stick up for teammates"

thats what we have now in glass and people are still B8tching
he isn't good at cycling the puck. he's not very good defensively. and he might hit often, but he doesn't seem to hit very hard. He just doesn't contribute much of anything. I'm not looking for a Goddard to replace him. I'd be happy with Vitale though.

Old
03-10-2013, 03:03 PM
lastcupever75
NY Roadkill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
he isn't good at cycling the puck. he's not very good defensively. and he might hit often, but he doesn't seem to hit very hard. He just doesn't contribute much of anything. I'm not looking for a Goddard to replace him. I'd be happy with Vitale though.
vitale needs to be in there, i agree. not in place of glass though.

we're already one of the more softer teams near the top of the league

Old
03-10-2013, 03:19 PM
ObsessedCreative
I hate Dan Bylsma.

I was shocked when RS handed out 1.1 mil for TWO years to the likes of this guy, but I gave Shero the benefit of the doubt.

With the way he has looked / played / contributed to this team... this was an even bigger head scratching mistake.

Too much money being tied up with ineffective 3rd& 4th line players.

hell, i'd rather have a guy like Sill here in his place who can actually be a guy who is hard to play against.

Old
03-10-2013, 03:23 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

This thread has taught me there are few things in life more worthless than arguining about 4th line hockey players.

Old
03-10-2013, 03:26 PM
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!

Can't even begin to explain how bad this guy is. Even for 4th line role player he's absolutely useless. At least Craig Adams can kill penalties and is willing to block shots with his face if need be. Aside from occasionally dropping the gloves Glass I can't think of one reason as to why Glass has held a regular roster spot.

Old
03-10-2013, 03:32 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
vitale needs to be in there, i agree. not in place of glass though.

we're already one of the more softer teams near the top of the league
then over who?

Old
03-10-2013, 03:35 PM
Jules Winnfield
I gives no ****s!!!

Quote:
its not the same system. its way more passive this year. We just try to clog lanes and block shots. But we don't do it. It was aggressive last year. 3rd in the league in short handed goals.
Again, major contributors to the PK last year have changed. Two players that contributed 36% of the short handed goals on the team last year are no longer here.

Old
03-10-2013, 03:36 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Again, major contributors to the PK last year have changed. Two players that contributed 36% of the short handed goals on the team last year are no longer here.
and the other 64%? And Sutter is pretty good himself. He can help give some of that back.

Old
03-10-2013, 03:38 PM
Jules Winnfield
I gives no ****s!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
Yeah, you know with something like context or proof? What I see is obviously different than what you see.

Do you have any interviews where the staff said they changed the PK?

Old
03-10-2013, 03:59 PM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
Yeah, you know with something like context or proof? What I see is obviously different than what you see.

Do you have any interviews where the staff said they changed the PK?
You seriously don't see them playing a passive box that never pressures the man with the puck?

Old
03-10-2013, 04:03 PM
Jules Winnfield
I gives no ****s!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
You seriously don't see them playing a passive box that never pressures the man with the puck?
The PK never pressured anyone last year either the way some of you are making it seem. Our PK has never looked like Philly's or other teams who pressure the hell out of other teams. It'd be great to see Bylsma use weapons like Geno and Sid on the PK to do this but he doesn't.

I haven't seen any difference in the style of the PK this year from last year other than the two most important personnel eating up SH TOI being gone which I think has made a big difference. I think we're underestimating how important Staal and Michalek (Michalek being more of an issue since he wasn't really replaced).

Old
03-10-2013, 04:06 PM
Jules Winnfield
I gives no ****s!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
I NEED A HANDWRITTEN AND SIGNED CONFESSION FROM BYLSMA THAT THE SYSTEM IS MORE PASSIVE THIS YEAR.

Or Else.
Funny but I'm not even asking for anything like that. With all the issues on the PP earlier in the season, it was well documented from numerous reporters that the Pens were experimenting with changes at practices, etc. There were players and coaches quoted on it.

I haven't seen anything mentioned regarding the PK changing.

Is that too much to ask for or are we going to continue to make funny remarks to hide behind?

Old
03-10-2013, 04:08 PM
lastcupever75
NY Roadkill

Quote:
then over who?
jefferry or adams

put jeffery on the 3rd line and sit TK

Old
03-10-2013, 04:09 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

I haven't heard them mention it, no. they are playing differently though. They just are. I don't know what more you want.

Old
03-10-2013, 04:09 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
jefferry or adams

put jeffery on the 3rd line and sit TK
TK really is the only other person I'd maybe sit in favor of Glass.

Old
03-10-2013, 04:19 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Only thing I've heard about the PK system change was from Errey. He said the Pens are doing some different things this year but I can't remember exactly what. He said it was brought on by the struggles against Philly's PP last season but he said the Pens aren't adjusting well to the changes that have been made to the PK so far. It sounded like he thought they should go back to their old way of pk'ing in this shortened season even though they got shredded by the Flyers in the playoffs last year playing that way too.

Closed Thread