HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cole's Plus/Minus: Penguins vs. Leafs in a Pond Hockey Game

Closed Thread

Old
03-09-2013, 09:19 PM
KIRK

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
I didn't think I could be this mad after a Pens loss. Can this team ever win without giving up 3+ goals a game? Pathetic. This will absolutely not cut it in the postseason. If this keeps up, it's another 1 and done.
You're getting worse than I am . . .

. . . of course, you're right, but be happy, we won . . .

Old
03-09-2013, 09:19 PM
Jag68Sid87

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
And yet he keeps on playing. Let's be honest . . . if the two guys who sit tomorrow are based on the merits alone, then #10 and #5 sit.
Yup. Although I did love the big hit by Engelland late in the game. It's badly needed on this club. He just needs to do more of it to keep his spot on this team, because there's no way he's a better defender than any of Despres, Eaton or Bortuzzo.

No. 10 doesn't even need to be addressed anymore. Until he out-scores Frazer McLaren he's not worth discussing.

But at the end of the day, I would feel comfortable betting good money on tomorrow's scratches: Bortuzzo, Despres and Jeffrey. Book it.

Old
03-09-2013, 09:20 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
And yet he keeps on playing. Let's be honest . . . if the two guys who sit tomorrow are based on the merits alone, then #10 and #5 sit.
I don't think Engelland was bad at all. It was scrambly in the 3rd, but the Leafs had something like 5 shots on goal.

DB's a guy that needs to have his toys taken away. I get in this day and age you have to roll 4 lines or you're kinda ****ed, but Jesus Christ....

Shero needs to just bow his head and admit that someone ****ed up BADLY in the pro scouting department. Tanner glass is next to worthless.

Old
03-09-2013, 09:20 PM
KaylaJ
Tungsten!

-Maf was Ok. I didn't think he got a good look at the 1st goal and maybe it'd be nice if his penalty killers weren't standing around trying to play goalie and hit something
-special teams need a lot of work. I shouldn't feel the other team will score on every PP chance nor should I think the PP will kill any momentum
-trolls on the board
-Glass being on the ice, but esp on a PK FO
-good games for Bennett & Crosby
-Geno being kept out as precautionary is a nice improvement of "it's just a flesh wound" days.

Old
03-09-2013, 09:21 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
Yup. Although I did love the big hit by Engelland late in the game. It's badly needed on this club. He just needs to do more of it to keep his spot on this team, because there's no way he's a better defender than any of Despres, Eaton or Bortuzzo.

No. 10 doesn't even need to be addressed anymore. Until he out-scores Frazer McLaren he's not worth discussing.

But at the end of the day, I would feel comfortable betting good money on tomorrow's scratches: Bortuzzo, Despres and Jeffrey. Book it.
BOOKED (assuming Malkin is o'k)

Can't blame him on Despres . . . kid needs to learn to be consistent like Orpik and Engo.

Old
03-09-2013, 09:21 PM
SEALBound

+'s

Sid: Great game, enough said. Loved the shootout snipe. Gave me tingles.
Kunitz/Duper: Both were great tonight. The whole line was great.
Bennett: Liking this kid and he's only gonna get better. He's the best 3rd wheel we've found for Geno's line yet and I'm good with that. Still suspect for the playoffs though, IMO.
Geno/Neal: Good game outta this line. Both scoring lines did well.
Letang: Great game. Not $7-7.5mil great, but still great.
Despres: There is NO reason why this kid should sit another game. If you have to sit Engo, you do it. Despres needs to stay here.

-'s
MAF: Not his best game ever but made the saves he needed to save.
PP: Just couldn't get it going
Third line: Terrible tonight
Fourth line: Liability out there tonight
Defense: Overall just not a good showing

1. Like Despres, Vitale should NEVER sit another game. Glass-Jeffrey-Adams does not work for what we need. Sit one of them. Doesn't matter who, just keep Vitale in.

2. Despres. Stays.

3. I still think we need another top 6 winger. Bennett is doing great but I'm still not sure about him in a Top 6 role in the playoffs. You know DB will be switching the lines up if he's in...and thats just not something I want to have happen. Injuries also happen so I think Bennett needs to be our #1 depth guy.

Old
03-09-2013, 09:22 PM
Jag68Sid87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
++ Not listening to Steigy and Errey in what was one of the most entertaining games all year if not the most entertaining. Hughson is a boss; Mario needs to make him an offer / build him a big house in Pittsburgh. The color guys for CBC are always Leaf homers but they were in check most of the night and either way light years ahead of Errey. I frickin' love most of these NHL Network / NBC games. I think I've had to listen to Steigerdunce and Err-head twice all year.
Hughson is great, as long as Vancouver isn't playing. Then he turns into Homerasaurus Rex. I can't listen to him when the Canucks are playing. Otherwise, he's great.

Old
03-09-2013, 09:23 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
I don't think Engelland was bad at all. It was scrambly in the 3rd, but the Leafs had something like 5 shots on goal.

DB's a guy that needs to have his toys taken away. I get in this day and age you have to roll 4 lines or you're kinda ****ed, but Jesus Christ....

Shero needs to just bow his head and admit that someone ****ed up BADLY in the pro scouting department. Tanner glass is next to worthless.
That toy could be resolved with one personnel move. It's called a waiver.

Do hope Malkin is back ASAP. Leaving aside the 'you want him back' thing, he's played his best hockey all year since returning from the concussion (almost as if he'd been concussed into thinking it was last January).

Old
Hello Newman*

Not only does the 4th line not even do anything offensively. I don't even want them to get goals, but at least create some chances so we gain momentum. But they are absolutely atrocious defensively too.

Tanner glass -9
Vitale -8
Glass -5

By far the worst on the team by this trio. I like what Vitale brings more so than the other way, at least he can fore check hard and cycle a bit.

The scrubs on the 4th line completely neutralize whatever skill Jeffrey brings.

Old
cashisking

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
I didn't think I could be this mad after a Pens loss. Can this team ever win without giving up 3+ goals a game? Pathetic. This will absolutely not cut it in the postseason. If this keeps up, it's another 1 and done.
Calm down. It could be worse...we could be the Flyers

Old
bambamcam4ever

Quote:

I can't remember the last Pens player I disliked as much as Glass. He gets paid over $1M per year, yet contributes almost nothing. Also, why does he get to play on the PK? I'd honestly rather have Kennedy on there because at least he can skate.

Old
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

If Geno's out long term...

I just want this team to get some consistency. On and off the ice.

Also tired of the beat reporters tweeting out, "winger lolzozlozlzolzolz defense and PK"

1) wingers might help that

2) with the exception of Simon Despres (who was criminally underused tonight, imo) this is the same defensive personnel that was part of a top-10 PK.

The personnel is NOT the issue.

3) I thought Despres was great, made a few nice plays against an offensive dynamo like Kadri. He was physical, strong on the puck. Can't wait for him to sit again.

4) Sid.

Old
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Folks remember... do not respond to trolling. Just report it so the mods can take care of business.

Old
03-09-2013, 09:24 PM
Jag68Sid87

Quote:

Absolutely.

Old
03-09-2013, 09:24 PM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
MALKIN UPDATE: Upper body injury on Malkin. Not a head injury. He was kept out for precautionary reasons.
per @Penguins

Old
03-09-2013, 09:25 PM
MtlPenFan

Orpik almost purposely passes off the mark.

He's also as dumb as **** when it comes to ringing the puck around the boards. Martin will be 10 feet away, and he'll rip it up the ice to "OMG GET THE PUCK OUT!!!"

I don't think people realize how many enemy forechecks are sustained because this guy is a moron and is too afraid or too stupid to make a short pass to an open man.

Old
66-29-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
Folks remember... do not respond to trolling. Just report it so the mods can take care of business.
But...but....but....ok, that's all i got.

Old
bambamcam4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hello Newman View Post
Not only does the 4th line not even do anything offensively. I don't even want them to get goals, but at least create some chances so we gain momentum. But they are absolutely atrocious defensively too.

Tanner glass -9
Vitale -8
Glass -5

By far the worst on the team by this trio. I like what Vitale brings more so than the other way, at least he can fore check hard and cycle a bit.
And not surprisingly they were on the ice for the tying goal.

Old
03-09-2013, 09:27 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

MTLPenFan hit on something during the game... our breakout had a nice new wrinkle to it. We had a guy coming back to the play on the stretch which opened up a back supporting lane. It was working well. It was a shorter pass with a short chip. We gained the zone with speed.

Old
03-09-2013, 09:27 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEALBound View Post
+'s

Sid: Great game, enough said. Loved the shootout snipe. Gave me tingles.
Kunitz/Duper: Both were great tonight. The whole line was great.
Bennett: Liking this kid and he's only gonna get better. He's the best 3rd wheel we've found for Geno's line yet and I'm good with that. Still suspect for the playoffs though, IMO.
Geno/Neal: Good game outta this line. Both scoring lines did well.
Letang: Great game. Not $7-7.5mil great, but still great.
Despres: There is NO reason why this kid should sit another game. If you have to sit Engo, you do it. Despres needs to stay here.

-'s
MAF: Not his best game ever but made the saves he needed to save.
PP: Just couldn't get it going
Third line: Terrible tonight
Fourth line: Liability out there tonight
Defense: Overall just not a good showing

1. Like Despres, Vitale should NEVER sit another game. Glass-Jeffrey-Adams does not work for what we need. Sit one of them. Doesn't matter who, just keep Vitale in.

2. Despres. Stays.

3. I still think we need another top 6 winger. Bennett is doing great but I'm still not sure about him in a Top 6 role in the playoffs. You know DB will be switching the lines up if he's in...and thats just not something I want to have happen. Injuries also happen so I think Bennett needs to be our #1 depth guy.
Agree, agree, and agree with 1, 2, and 3.

Just one minor correction: I'm not sure if Beau-ner is Geno's third or second wheel right now. It's how BB is playing, not Neal, that has opened things up for Geno to be more aggressive out there. Don't get me wrong: Neal was moving his feet tonight, which is nice, but it's BB's situational awareness (and awareness for when Geno is going to go for it) that is making the bigger difference.

As I said before, BB gets what Geno is going to do. Just like I said last game was Geno's best against Philly in a while, this was his best against Toronto in a while.

Old
03-09-2013, 09:28 PM
plaidchuck

Well with this kind of D things are just looking peachy against the Islanders who have been scoring a bunch of goals..

Old
03-09-2013, 09:28 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

I don't want to get into a huge debate about Vitale - but come on guys. Nobody here can actually make a solid argument that Vitale isn't our best 4th liner. It's a joke.

But he didn't play so I don't want to waste this thread. DB playing them in late periods is a JOKE.

Old
03-09-2013, 09:29 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
Ah....You just couldn't stay away any longer, huh.

Like a little tick.

Old
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
Absolutely.
They looked great the first 2 periods, and it was sort of controlled chaos on the 3rd, and it was a bad bounce that led to what was essentially an open net.

PK needs worst, but Jesus MAF, you have to make a save or 2.

I don't want to hear about the JVR goal. It was a deflection, but there's a difference between a deflection from 5 feet away, and 1 foot away. He was STILL too late going down, and it looks like on the replay it STILL would have gone in.

Old
Jag68Sid87

Quote:
Orpik almost purposely passes off the mark.

He's also as dumb as **** when it comes to ringing the puck around the boards. Martin will be 10 feet away, and he'll rip it up the ice to "OMG GET THE PUCK OUT!!!"

I don't think people realize how many enemy forechecks are sustained because this guy is a moron and is too afraid or too stupid to make a short pass to an open man.
This is what I mean when I tell people on the History of Hockey board that players in the 70's and 80's had more hockey sense than those of today. Unfortunately, they're coached that way. To robotically whack the puck off the glass, never mind that there's three Leafs hanging onto the glass like gorillas, and your D partner is wide open 5 feet away. Nah, ring it off the glass big guy.

Closed Thread