HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL draft thread: Don't need an appraiser, we're taking Lazar!

View Poll Results: Who do you want?
Seth Jones 162 52.60%
Nathan MacKinnon 17 5.52%
Jonathan Drouin 11 3.57%
Sasha Barkov 43 13.96%
Elias Lindholm 5 1.62%
Sean Monahan 30 9.74%
Valeri Nischushkin 5 1.62%
Darnell Nurse 9 2.92%
Curtis Lazar 23 7.47%
Ryan Pulock 3 0.97%
Voters: 308. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
03-21-2013, 11:12 PM
bsmith14

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Decent list... I'd have Pulock above Morrissey for the Oilers though.
I have read a few things about Pulock saying he is pretty suspect in his own end. That can change though..

Old
03-21-2013, 11:31 PM
puckfan13

I'm not saying this as a joke, but the guys I find to be the most intriguing prospects in each round (approximately) are black. Probably three of my favorite prospects from all of major junior this year.

Rd. 1 - Darnell Nurse
Rd. 2 - Jordan Subban
Rd. 3 - Nick Baptiste

Old
03-21-2013, 11:39 PM
knockoutpanda
Oilers Fan

vCash: 788
You think Subban will last till the second round?

Old
03-21-2013, 11:42 PM
puckfan13

Quote:
Originally Posted by teganandsara View Post
You think Subban will last till the second round?
Well it was just approximate, anything can happen. He's on an upwards trajectory for sure after being ranked like around 90 (NA skaters only) if I recall for Central's midterm rankings. If Belleville has a huge playoff he could sneak into late 1st, especially considering his bloodlines, but I'd say 2nd is as good a guess as any.

Old
03-22-2013, 12:01 AM
McDNicks17
McDavid Has Arrived

vCash: 50
I think Subban will slip to the 2nd because of his size.

He'll be a steal for someone.

Arguably the most skilled defenseman in the draft, imo.

Old
03-22-2013, 12:03 AM
Niet

I have a feeling (no actual evidence) that Darnell Nurse is gonna be better than Jones.

Old
03-22-2013, 12:29 AM
puckfan13

WHL is interesting this year, towards the end of the draft I MIGHT like Greg Chase, Jackson Houck, Myles Bell or JC Lipon from 5-7 and maybeee a 7th round flyer on Colby Cave if there's nobody better floating around from other leagues.

The season is already done, but I still don't know exactly what I think about Klimchuk and Bowey. I think I like both of them but not sure how much. Bowey's upside is so tantalizing but I still wonder about his IQ, his tools are amazing though and he could take it to another level next year. Klimchuk and Theodore will likely be at U18's so I'll be very interested to see how they do there. I probably like Theodore in the third range and Eric Roy in 4th, but they both won't last until then. Heatherington I probably have above both of those guys. Petan is a definite 1st for me but can't find myself sold on Bjorkstrand quite yet, not sure I have him in the 2nd range personally but he'll also be gone by the 3rd so not much point discussing that.

I've asked for a bit more info on the prospects board, but from the digging around I've done and game highlights, Marc-Olivier Roy from the Q looks like a decent value pick at the 3-4 range. Creative, quick, skilled winger (has played C) who has dangles and a great shot but also willing to mix it up, he's a skinny kid though without a pro body right now. Like the potential from the sounds of it. Could flash somewhere from Dupuis to Versteeg if he pans out.

Old
03-22-2013, 12:44 AM
McDNicks17
McDavid Has Arrived

Nick Moutrey and Carter Verhaege are a couple of other guys from the OHL that I'd look at along with Baptiste in the 3rd+.

Old
03-22-2013, 12:53 AM
puckfan13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Nick Moutrey and Carter Verhaege are a couple of other guys from the OHL that I'd look at along with Baptiste in the 3rd+.
Re: Moutrey. I've never seen him play, but I'm typically not as sold on "power forward" type prospects in general after round 2. If that's your kind of thing I could definitely see him being attractive there, lots of intriguing qualities.

Old
03-22-2013, 01:23 AM
McDNicks17
McDavid Has Arrived

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
Re: Moutrey. I've never seen him play, but I'm typically not as sold on "power forward" type prospects in general after round 2. If that's your kind of thing I could definitely see him being attractive there, lots of intriguing qualities.
Yeah, I kind of agree with that.

Although it's the potential powerforwards like a Kale Kessy that I'd shy away from. The ones who are physical and scrap, but need to improve skating and learn to play hockey.

Moutrey is actually pretty skilled. He's just been playing behind Trocheck, Locke and now Lodge, so he hasn't really been able to showcase it.

I'm starting to think he might not actually make it out of the 2nd round.

Old
03-26-2013, 07:05 AM
Hockey Buddha
Darnell Nurse

Based on team need and current drafting position (6th or so), these players are on my radar:

Defenseman:
Darnell Nurse or Nikita Zadorov

Power Forward Potential:
Valeri Nichushkin or Anthony Mantha

Obviously, I don't think that Jones, Drouin, or MacKinnon will still be available at that draft position.

Old
03-26-2013, 07:17 AM
Soundwave

Nichuskin intrigues me to be honest. Especially if he can go back to play center.

So does Nurse, but I don't know as much about him. He seems like he'd be more physical than even Seth Jones though.

Both are big kids (6'4) that would fill a huge need.

Last edited by Soundwave: 03-26-2013 at 07:23 AM.
Old
03-26-2013, 07:39 AM
LaGu

I though Ristolainen would be on this list or has he been tanking lately?

Anyway, I screwed up my vote. My melted down brain thought it was Hampus Lindholm (6th last 2012) instead of Elias Lindholm up there so I voted for him... Sorry. Although it seems as if the end result won't change because of my vote so I guess we're fine

Old
03-26-2013, 08:46 AM
CornKicker
Tied with Lander G's

Quote:
WHL is interesting this year, towards the end of the draft I MIGHT like Greg Chase, Jackson Houck, Myles Bell or JC Lipon from 5-7 and maybeee a 7th round flyer on Colby Cave if there's nobody better floating around from other leagues.

The season is already done, but I still don't know exactly what I think about Klimchuk and Bowey. I think I like both of them but not sure how much. Bowey's upside is so tantalizing but I still wonder about his IQ, his tools are amazing though and he could take it to another level next year. Klimchuk and Theodore will likely be at U18's so I'll be very interested to see how they do there. I probably like Theodore in the third range and Eric Roy in 4th, but they both won't last until then. Heatherington I probably have above both of those guys. Petan is a definite 1st for me but can't find myself sold on Bjorkstrand quite yet, not sure I have him in the 2nd range personally but he'll also be gone by the 3rd so not much point discussing that.

I've asked for a bit more info on the prospects board, but from the digging around I've done and game highlights, Marc-Olivier Roy from the Q looks like a decent value pick at the 3-4 range. Creative, quick, skilled winger (has played C) who has dangles and a great shot but also willing to mix it up, he's a skinny kid though without a pro body right now. Like the potential from the sounds of it. Could flash somewhere from Dupuis to Versteeg if he pans out.
if myles bell is still around in the 3rd 4th we have to take him, the kid is an elite talent that made some really poor decisions. I actually met the guy a year or so ago and he looks to have got his head straightened out. I feel for the girls family and him as well. the kid is too good to not get a chance.

Old
03-26-2013, 08:49 AM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Or Ether.

We can all have a selly..

Do it up Fear and Loathing Las Vegas style

There is nothing more depraved than HF-Oilers on the depths of an ether binge.

Old
03-26-2013, 08:58 AM
BarDownBobo

vCash: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaGu View Post
I though Ristolainen would be on this list or has he been tanking lately?

Anyway, I screwed up my vote. My melted down brain thought it was Hampus Lindholm (6th last 2012) instead of Elias Lindholm up there so I voted for him... Sorry. Although it seems as if the end result won't change because of my vote so I guess we're fine
We're probably going to be picking in the 3-6 range, and RR is likely to go somewhere from 8-12, with some believing he'll slide. He'd be a good pick, but odds are we'd be reaching.

Old
03-26-2013, 09:07 AM
workedforme

My list for our first
Jones
McKinnon
Barkov
Drouin
Monahan
Lindholm
Nichushkin
Nurse
Zadorov

Barring Jones or McKinnon I just really want to get one of these big centers. I'd love to get a late first and come away with Monahan and Horvat, 2 great FO guys with good size for 17 year olds.

Old
03-27-2013, 12:52 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Barkov broke his wrist in the playoffs.

Old
03-27-2013, 01:00 PM
McDoused

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
Now he's gonna drop to our second

Old
03-27-2013, 01:29 PM
BarDownBobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
Now he's gonna drop to our second

I'd be happy if that caused him to fall to our first haha. Still think he goes top 4.

Old
03-27-2013, 01:35 PM
BarDownBobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
One player I'm hoping the Oilers can grab in the 2nd is Slovakian forward (playing in Sweden) Peter Cehlárik.

He's a 6'2 LWer who's put up points in every level he's played, even had 6 points in 8 SEL games this year and just scored his first playoff goal today.

video
Interesting for sure, would be worth a shot. Rather spend a pick on a guy like that than what was picked last season.

Old
03-27-2013, 01:40 PM
Neilio
Navi-X, Google it

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
If he dislocated his shoulder, I'd be convinced we will take him. Now I'm not so sure.

Old
03-27-2013, 01:48 PM
McOkMcgoMcoil

I think the best fit for out team would be Monahan. He has elite 2/3 line C written all over him. Gags, Nuge, and him down the middle would be great.

Also buy out horcoff this summer.

Old
03-27-2013, 01:57 PM
McJadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
I think the best fit for out team would be Monahan. He has elite 2/3 line C written all over him. Gags, Nuge, and him down the middle would be great.

Also buy out horcoff this summer.
i agree that monahan would be a great pick if we could get him... i'd be happy with any of the "lesser centers" or lindholm, barkov or monahan

there is no way that horcoff gets bought out this summer, not going to happen... next year maybe, but we aren't in cap trouble this summer and we simply don't have anybody that can replace horcoff's minutes at this point

Old
03-27-2013, 02:05 PM
The Nuge
Global Moderator
Some Say...

Quote:

I too have concerns about Bowey. He seems like one of those guys that just might not ever put it all together,

Theodore probably goes in the 2nd

Klimchuk isn't a great fit for us imo.

Houck won't be available then. He'll be a 3rd or 4th round pick

I agree with taking a flyer on Bell and Lipon. Bell is my first choice of the 2, but it's hard to go wrong with Lipon if he falls to the last couple rounds

Closed Thread