HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL draft thread: Don't need an appraiser, we're taking Lazar!

View Poll Results: Who do you want?
Seth Jones 162 52.60%
Nathan MacKinnon 17 5.52%
Jonathan Drouin 11 3.57%
Sasha Barkov 43 13.96%
Elias Lindholm 5 1.62%
Sean Monahan 30 9.74%
Valeri Nischushkin 5 1.62%
Darnell Nurse 9 2.92%
Curtis Lazar 23 7.47%
Ryan Pulock 3 0.97%
Voters: 308. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-11-2013, 03:21 AM
  #176
Lay Z Boy GM
Registered User
 
Lay Z Boy GM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: West coast
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,462
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltankjob 4 93 64 View Post
29 more points in 4 more games than Mackinnon really kinda stands out to me , also the wjc Drouin looked way better than Mackinnon as well.
At this point I almost find it laughable to say Mackinnon is better than Drouin. They're both huge talents but I think Mackinnon is more of a Hall calibre talent and Drouin could be pushing into Crosby territory. I doubt Drouin will be as complete as Crosby, but his skill and intelligence looks generational. Supreme talent.

I'd still rather have Jones. But if we got Drouin I think we should sell some offensive talent to shore up the defense. Although the top 6 would look incredibly appealing.

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Drouin-Gagner-Yakupov

As talented as that lineup is, I don't think they would succeed because there's no balance.

Lay Z Boy GM is offline  
Old
03-11-2013, 03:37 AM
  #177
Oiltankjob Fail
Registered User
 
Oiltankjob Fail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 6,693
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lay Z Boy GM View Post
At this point I almost find it laughable to say Mackinnon is better than Drouin. They're both huge talents but I think Mackinnon is more of a Hall calibre talent and Drouin could be pushing into Crosby territory. I doubt Drouin will be as complete as Crosby, but his skill and intelligence looks generational. Supreme talent.

I'd still rather have Jones. But if we got Drouin I think we should sell some offensive talent to shore up the defense. Although the top 6 would look incredibly appealing.

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Drouin-Gagner-Yakupov

As talented as that lineup is, I don't think they would succeed because there's no balance.
I think if a team passes over Drouin for Mackinnon they are going to regret it big time.

Oiltankjob Fail is offline  
Old
03-11-2013, 03:47 AM
  #178
Ice Whole
Registered User
 
Ice Whole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,761
vCash: 500
I doubt we will be in a position to pick Jones but I think Drouin is the best player in this draft. However, I know it may sound silly but I don't think the Oilers pick top 3. Top 5? Maybe. I want Monahan if we can't get Jones, Drouin or Mackinnon. A two way center with size and busts his ass off every time. He's the perfect player for us IMO.

Ice Whole is offline  
Old
03-11-2013, 03:55 AM
  #179
Lay Z Boy GM
Registered User
 
Lay Z Boy GM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: West coast
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,462
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Whole View Post
I doubt we will be in a position to pick Jones but I think Drouin is the best player in this draft. However, I know it may sound silly but I don't think the Oilers pick top 3. Top 5? Maybe. I want Monahan if we can't get Jones, Drouin or Mackinnon. A two way center with size and busts his ass off every time. He's the perfect player for us IMO.
Anywhere in the top 10 is going to get you a pretty great player. I think the top 3 Jones/Mackinnon/Drouin could all be #1's in other drafts. The rest of the top 10 looks like a typical top 5 to me.

Lay Z Boy GM is offline  
Old
03-11-2013, 04:01 AM
  #180
puckfan13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,649
vCash: 500
Drouin could be the best player in the league one day if he shows a true dedication to get better and the will to win of a champion. We'll see how he battles and performs in playoffs but this kid is OFF the charts, just wow.

puckfan13 is offline  
Old
03-11-2013, 04:54 AM
  #181
puckfan13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,649
vCash: 500
New thread so thought I'd beat people over the head with my views once again. 1st round, I'd flip the draft table over for Darnell Nurse if we aren't top 3. I'm gonna keep saying that, this kid is unbelievable and a raw beast with unbelievable size, athleticism, raw power and innate understanding of the game.

Early 2nd round range, I'd flip the table over for Horvat, Hartman or Jordan Subban. I love all three of these players. If you can skate, compete your ass off, and think the game fast you are on my list. Horvat and Hartman are rated as late first rounders but should be higher and Subban is lower, but rising. Another player is Nic Petan, even though he's a small skilled player I don't really care because he is going to play in the NHL and be a productive player. If you're lucky enough to get him in the 2nd round he's worth it as an asset alone. With a strong playoff run, I doubt he'll last past 25.

puckfan13 is offline  
Old
03-11-2013, 07:51 AM
  #182
McDoused
Registered User
 
McDoused's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Katy <3
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,558
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
Drouin could be the best player in the league one day if he shows a true dedication to get better and the will to win of a champion. We'll see how he battles and performs in playoffs but this kid is OFF the charts, just wow.
While I agree that he could be the best forward in the draft, I just don't see us adding a player of his style into the linrup. Having Hall, Eberle and Yakupov already on the wings hurts his odds of Getting drafted by the Oilers. We have to start looking at what we need in our lineup. If I'm the Oilers I'm taking Barkov and MacKinnon over Drouin.

McDoused is offline  
Old
03-11-2013, 07:53 AM
  #183
McDoused
Registered User
 
McDoused's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Katy <3
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,558
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
New thread so thought I'd beat people over the head with my views once again. 1st round, I'd flip the draft table over for Darnell Nurse if we aren't top 3. I'm gonna keep saying that, this kid is unbelievable and a raw beast with unbelievable size, athleticism, raw power and innate understanding of the game.

Early 2nd round range, I'd flip the table over for Horvat, Hartman or Jordan Subban. I love all three of these players. If you can skate, compete your ass off, and think the game fast you are on my list. Horvat and Hartman are rated as late first rounders but should be higher and Subban is lower, but rising. Another player is Nic Petan, even though he's a small skilled player I don't really care because he is going to play in the NHL and be a productive player. If you're lucky enough to get him in the 2nd round he's worth it as an asset alone. With a strong playoff run, I doubt he'll last past 25.
If we're choosing between Nurse and Monahan, were gonna have a tough choice to make IMO.

McDoused is offline  
Old
03-11-2013, 07:57 AM
  #184
n00b1AnPr1nc355
Registered User
 
n00b1AnPr1nc355's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,663
vCash: 500
I suspect we finish in 29th and we will pick 3rd after some random team wins the lottery and we pick behind them and colombus.

It will be:

1. Jones
2. Drouin - Colombus
3. Mackinnon - Oilers

n00b1AnPr1nc355 is offline  
Old
03-11-2013, 08:25 AM
  #185
oilersfan11
Registered User
 
oilersfan11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 12,090
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by n00b1AnPr1nc355 View Post
I suspect we finish in 29th and we will pick 3rd after some random team wins the lottery and we pick behind them and colombus.

It will be:

1. Jones
2. Drouin - Colombus
3. Mackinnon - Oilers
Hopefully,if we don't get Seth Jones,we trade down and draft Alex Barkov.


We need the big centerman.


Just imagine a top-six centerman that is 6'3 and over 210 pounds.

oilersfan11 is online now  
Old
03-11-2013, 09:08 AM
  #186
McDoused
Registered User
 
McDoused's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Katy <3
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,558
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
Hopefully,if we don't get Seth Jones,we trade down and draft Alex Barkov.


We need the big centerman.


Just imagine a top-six centerman that is 6'3 and over 210 pounds.
Hall-Nuge-Eberle
Clowe-Barkov-Hemsky
PRV-Gagner-Yakupov
Brown-Horcoff-Jones

Any way we can afford that up front?

McDoused is offline  
Old
03-11-2013, 09:09 AM
  #187
oilersfan11
Registered User
 
oilersfan11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 12,090
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
Hall-Nuge-Eberle
Clowe-Barkov-Hemsky
PRV-Gagner-Yakupov
Brown-Horcoff-Jones

Any way we can afford that up front?
I think we can.

oilersfan11 is online now  
Old
03-11-2013, 09:31 AM
  #188
McCanovin
Oil Dynasty
 
McCanovin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: 780
Posts: 2,580
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
Hall-Nuge-Eberle
Clowe-Barkov-Hemsky
PRV-Gagner-Yakupov
Brown-Horcoff-Jones

Any way we can afford that up front?
The fact PRV has developed slowly makes this making of a team possible. His next contract will likely be cheap.

I would change a few things.

Hall-Barkov-Hemmer
Clowe-Nuge-Eberle

I just think Barkov can carry a bigger task than Nuge can.

McCanovin is offline  
Old
03-11-2013, 09:43 AM
  #189
Oilfan2
Oil the way..
 
Oilfan2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,014
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by canovin View Post
The fact PRV has developed slowly makes this making of a team possible. His next contract will likely be cheap.

I would change a few things.

Hall-Barkov-Hemmer
Clowe-Nuge-Eberle

I just think Barkov can carry a bigger task than Nuge can.
Hmmm, wonder if Barkov speaks Russian? (son of Aleksander Barkov, a former Russian hockey player, and also holds Russian citizenship).

If so, the perfect linemate for Yakupov..

Hall-Barkov-Yakupov
Clowe-RNH-Eberle
MPS-Gagner-Hemsky

Oilfan2 is offline  
Old
03-11-2013, 10:06 AM
  #190
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit
 
dustrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 6,576
vCash: 500
This is the point where you figure Tambo could start drafting for need, but if Drouin or MacKinnon are available would he really be able to pass on them?

It really depends who is available in a trade for a 2C or top 4 D.

You draft Mackinnon, trade Gagner?

You draft Drouin and dangle one of our star wingers in a trade?

dustrock is offline  
Old
03-11-2013, 10:28 AM
  #191
doubledown99
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,770
vCash: 500
Wow is Mack underrated on these boards. Kid has total package. If he was 2inches taller people would be saying he is the big center we need. He is the grittiest forward in the top 10.... Has speed, acceleration and balance that few players possess (Hall wishes he had Mack's balance). His defensive game is right up there with Monahans and Lindholms. He's great on the dot......I don't see a weakness except his style of play could catch up to him........but they said that aboutbSid too with his size. NHL caliber shot. One of the youngest players in the draft.

Yeah don't draft this guy with the 2nd pick if we get the chance. And anybody that says product of Drouin I say you haven't watched Mack. He did pretty well without him on his line last year

doubledown99 is offline  
Old
03-11-2013, 10:34 AM
  #192
thomast
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,725
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilfan2 View Post
Hmmm, wonder if Barkov speaks Russian? (son of Aleksander Barkov, a former Russian hockey player, and also holds Russian citizenship).

If so, the perfect linemate for Yakupov..

Hall-Barkov-Yakupov
Clowe-RNH-Eberle
MPS-Gagner-Hemsky
Barkov speaks russian as native language. His dad is a former national team player and his mother was a national team basketball player for soviet union. Barkov speaks fluent finnish and he is full product of finnish hockey system. Red wings tried to get Barkov senior to the NHL and offered him big money after couple of years in Finland but Barkov senior was satisfied moving to Finland from messed up soviet union and Barkov jr was just born. They just wanted to settle down in safe Finland.

thomast is offline  
Old
03-11-2013, 12:29 PM
  #193
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(
 
Mr Forever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: COLLEGE
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,273
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by n00b1AnPr1nc355 View Post
I suspect we finish in 29th and we will pick 3rd after some random team wins the lottery and we pick behind them and colombus.

It will be:

1. Jones
2. Drouin - Colombus
3. Mackinnon - Oilers
I would hope we choose Barkov over Mackinnon.

Mr Forever is offline  
Old
03-11-2013, 12:35 PM
  #194
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood
 
CornKicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,587
vCash: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledown99 View Post
Wow is Mack underrated on these boards. Kid has total package. If he was 2inches taller people would be saying he is the big center we need. He is the grittiest forward in the top 10.... Has speed, acceleration and balance that few players possess (Hall wishes he had Mack's balance). His defensive game is right up there with Monahans and Lindholms. He's great on the dot......I don't see a weakness except his style of play could catch up to him........but they said that aboutbSid too with his size. NHL caliber shot. One of the youngest players in the draft.

Yeah don't draft this guy with the 2nd pick if we get the chance. And anybody that says product of Drouin I say you haven't watched Mack. He did pretty well without him on his line last year
I agree, Mackinnon is everything gagner is at a higher speed and skill level, he is an amazing player and like grigorenko last year he has been at or near the top so long that people are trying to pluck holes in his game. there isnt very many imo, Barkov has greta upside but nothing compared to Mackinnon, in my opinion there is a top 3 for this draft then a next 4 and then the typical drop off. if the first 3 picks arent Jones/Mackinnon/Drouin i would be very surprised.

CornKicker is offline  
Old
03-11-2013, 01:24 PM
  #195
monkeywrench
Registered User
 
monkeywrench's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 879
vCash: 50
Is it better for us too finish at the bottom this season?

I know this may be horrible to say, but I am starting to root for us to finish in the bottom 3 of the league this season.
My reasoning is if we do not finish in the bottom of the standings there is going to be no changes in Oil Country. Katz will think every thing is golden here and not change his upper mangement and coaches. I think most of us can agree that we need a change of management and maybe the coaching staff.
I just truly believe when will never become a top contending with Tambo and Kruger running the show. We are the only team that will fire a coach because where we finish and then promote within I just do not get that.
Another positive to finishing in the bottom is that we can get a good draft pick. Drafting Jones or one of the top centers.

What are your guys thoughts? Am I wrong, or making sense?

monkeywrench is offline  
Old
03-11-2013, 01:26 PM
  #196
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters
 
jumptheshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Grumpier OLD MAN inn
Country: United Nations
Posts: 60,945
vCash: 50
WE HAVE HAD THREE TOP PICKS IN A ROW

lets get over high draft picks and start working on developing the fracking prospect we have already

too many on this board are in love with high draft picks

__________________
"If the Detroit Red Wings are defying gravity" by consistently contending without the benefit of high draft picks, "the Edmonton Oilers are defying lift.

Welcome to Edmonton Connor McDavid--the rest of you HA HA HA HA HA HA
jumptheshark is offline  
Old
03-11-2013, 01:28 PM
  #197
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(
 
Mr Forever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: COLLEGE
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,273
vCash: 500
No. A top 10 pick will suffice. We need depth players now.

Mr Forever is offline  
Old
03-11-2013, 01:31 PM
  #198
Pointteen
Registered User
 
Pointteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,266
vCash: 500
As amazing as a top pairing of Jones and Schultz could be, I don't think that should be our goal.

Though if we get another lucky lottery ball I'd draft Jones unless someone is offering an established number one defender for the pick and a prospect or something.

Pointteen is offline  
Old
03-11-2013, 01:37 PM
  #199
doubledown99
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,770
vCash: 500
Yeah Mack is awesome. I'm not comparing playing style but the attributes - Mack is Toews with better skating ability (and can't speak about Mack's leadership abilities as I have no clue). That is the type of player I expect him to become like but maybe a touch more offensive ability.

doubledown99 is offline  
Old
03-11-2013, 01:38 PM
  #200
Halibut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,602
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
WE HAVE HAD THREE TOP PICKS IN A ROW

lets get over high draft picks and start working on developing the fracking prospect we have already

too many on this board are in love with high draft picks
Go back and check his reasoning. It's not about the draft picks it's about changing management. If we show any signs of improvement it'll be back to patiently waiting and doing nothing in the meantime.

Halibut is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:44 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.