HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Joey Hishon: What's the deal?

Old
06-07-2013, 01:39 PM
Colorado Avalanche

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPadStack View Post
He hasn't been able to stay healthy playing competitive hockey at any level over the past 3 years.

I would be downright shocked if Joey Hishon started the season on the pro roster.

Skills are there, but he needs A LOT of seasoning as a pro. Back to the Monsters.
Sad, but true. I don't think he has business playing in NHL next season. He just needs to stay healthy for ONE SEASON before even talking about NHL.

Colorado Avalanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 01:41 PM
GamingGiant

I would like to see Joey complete an entire season with the Monsters before giving him a shot.

GamingGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 01:56 PM
Mystic MacK
Foppa2118

Quote:
He hasn't been able to stay healthy playing competitive hockey at any level over the past 3 years.

I would be downright shocked if Joey Hishon started the season on the pro roster.

Skills are there, but he needs A LOT of seasoning as a pro. Back to the Monsters.
I don't know, from the Monsters games I saw he had NHL level awareness and vision, and looked like he was thinking a step ahead of all the other AHLers out on the ice.

He may need some more games, but that's just for him to get comfortable and confident again IMO. Not because he needs to work on all that much with his game.

Mystic MacK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 01:58 PM
BrickAHL
Terry Balboa

vCash: 50
I wouldn't mind Hishon in the NHL. Joey is a smart player and I believe that he will be able to easily adjust to the NHL.

BrickAHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 02:30 PM
Huis Clos*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamingGiant View Post
I would like to see Joey complete an entire season with the Monsters before giving him a shot.
I'd like to see Hishon play an entire season in the AHL to prove he can stay healthy.

Huis Clos* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 03:48 PM
chet1926

I guess it really comes down to a couple things:

1. What kind of shape he is in?

2. Does he mesh well with particular line mates?

From the sounds of it he is good buddies with ROR and will probably train with him over the summer. So assuming this is the case, I would bet he is in good shape coming into camp.

As for camp if he is given the opportunity to play with some of the big boys like ROR or Duchene on one their wings and there is some chemistry he might be given a shot to stick around. If we bring in some UFA wingers to fill some spots and he is placed on a lower line in camp he will go to the AHL for some big minutes.

Ideally I'd like to see him in the AHL at first, and then maybe give him a call up if/when there are some injuries.

chet1926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 03:59 PM
henchman24
Mr. Meeseeks

I don't get the idea of keeping him in the minors to 'prove' he can stay healthy. Somebody please explain this logic to me.

Players get hurt in both leagues... I would actually argue that the AHL may be more dangerous (more goons and goon-like hockey). If he is ready for the NHL in September, play him in the NHL... if he isn't ready, send him down. Seems pretty simple to me.

henchman24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 04:03 PM
Holyhell
'Crumblers'

I'd love to see him play with any of our centres on the LW at some point next year.
LW is definitely a weak point on this roster right now with Landeskog being the only legitimate offensive threat IMO (McGinn is just too streaky and not a naturally gifted offensive player). Setting up Hishon next to Stastny, Duchene or O'Reilly would add something to those lines I think and give McGinn a more conventional 3rd line role as an energy guy that can put the puck in the net once in a while.

Holyhell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 04:06 PM
Mystic MacK
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
I don't get the idea of keeping him in the minors to 'prove' he can stay healthy. Somebody please explain this logic to me.

Players get hurt in both leagues... I would actually argue that the AHL may be more dangerous (more goons and goon-like hockey). If he is ready for the NHL in September, play him in the NHL... if he isn't ready, send him down. Seems pretty simple to me.
I agree. You're much more likely to see a hit like the one career minor leaguer Joey Tenute knocked Joey out with in the AHL, where there's more undisciplined and reckless players trying to make a huge flashy hit.

The only thing that evens it out in the AHL is the slower pace, so hopefully they'll be able to get their head up in time. Hopefully

Last edited by Mystic MacK: 06-07-2013 at 05:52 PM.
Mystic MacK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 04:11 PM
Joe Sakic
#1 ROR Fan

Well just looking at the stats 6 points in 9 games isn't bad at all after a year and a half of not playing hockey.

Would like to see him get a good look next year, but a full season in the AHL is probably what's best for him at this point.

Joe Sakic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 04:30 PM
PAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post

It's not so much as to 'prove' healthy as opposed to relying on him to be in the lineup. After another concussion, his conditioning is going to be suspect, we don't know what type of player will be coming back, and we don't know if he'll be 100%. He's barely played hockey these past few years, he probably has played more NHL 13 than actual hockey.

Pencilling him into the lineup means if he goes down there will be a void there. That's the exact reason why we let Flash + Mueller go, there's no logical reason to think Hishon will start in the NHL or should.

PAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 04:37 PM
henchman24
Mr. Meeseeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAZ View Post
It's not so much as to 'prove' healthy as opposed to relying on him to be in the lineup. After another concussion, his conditioning is going to be suspect, we don't know what type of player will be coming back, and we don't know if he'll be 100%. He's barely played hockey these past few years, he probably has played more NHL 13 than actual hockey.

Pencilling him into the lineup means if he goes down there will be a void there. That's the exact reason why we let Flash + Mueller go, there's no logical reason to think Hishon will start in the NHL or should.
That will be quickly known in camp, and you make the determination from there. Nobody is saying he should start in the NHL or be penciled into a roster spot.. he will have to earn it in camp and prove that he deserves a shot (he will have to be very good to earn a spot IMO). My overall point is that his injury history shouldn't be a factor if he is healthy and ready for the NHL, he should play in the NHL. If he isn't, then he needs to get sent down.

This is the first summer he has had to get in good shape in 2 years, so, he should come into camp in the best shape he has in a long while. I expect him to show well, but show he is still a step behind and start in Lake Erie because of it.

henchman24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 04:38 PM
The Mars Volchenkov

vCash: 127
Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAZ View Post
I highly doubt the Avs have any plans of penciling him into the lineup this summer.

However, he's been healthy for a month now and will be able to train all summer with Duchene and his trainer. If he comes into camp and plays great there and in preseason, should the Avs just send him to the AHL simply because he hasn't played a ton of games the last two years? Like I said, I doubt the Avs have any idea of penciling him into the opening night lineup, but if he earns the spot, which he has the talent to do, I say give him a chance. This team could use the talent infusion.

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 05:31 PM
Freudian
Clearly deranged

I think on some instinctual level you want to wrap him in bubble plastic for a while and stick him in the AHL and learn to dodge worse players before you give him the chance in the NHL.

But if you're cleared, you're cleared. If he earns a spot in camp, he should have it.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 08:01 PM
Frenchy
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Even if Hishon has a good camp I hope to God we don't start him in the NHL, it would be like a fly in a frog farm.

Let him spend a few years in the AHL and get more physically dominate to withstand a flying elbow from Chara.
Agreed , let him play a full season in the AHL , if not two , no need to rush the kid

Frenchy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 09:11 PM
chet1926

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
I think on some instinctual level you want to wrap him in bubble plastic for a while and stick him in the AHL and learn to dodge worse players before you give him the chance in the NHL.

But if you're cleared, you're cleared. If he earns a spot in camp, he should have it.
100% agree. It shouldn't be assumed he get a spot but if he plays well and earn its then he should get it. Cleared is cleared.

I think there are more dangers playing the AHL than the NHL. Players in the AHL are way more reckless than the players in the NHL.

chet1926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 10:28 PM
Orwell1984

NHL? No way.
With his recent history is contract is almost certainly uninsurable, the Avs won't put themselves in a position to be on the hook for NHL money if he's hurt again. It will be a simple business decision.

Orwell1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 10:43 PM
RockLobster
Damnit, Jian Yang!

vCash: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwell1984 View Post
NHL? No way.
With his recent history is contract is almost certainly uninsurable, the Avs won't put themselves in a position to be on the hook for NHL money if he's hurt again. It will be a simple business decision.
Are you alluding that they'll simply let him walk after his contract is up? By the way...does anyone know when his current deal is up?

There's only one thing I hate more than lying: skim milk, which is water that is lying about being milk.
RockLobster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 11:23 PM
RoyIsALegend
Gross Misconduct

vCash: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
Are you alluding that they'll simply let him walk after his contract is up? By the way...does anyone know when his current deal is up?
Next summer. $1.2m qualifying offer.

RoyIsALegend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 11:33 PM
Freudian
Clearly deranged

Quote:
Next summer. $1.2m qualifying offer.
The salary is only $900k (at the NHL level) on an ELC.

Edit: looking it up in the CBA, Avs can give him a two-way QO if he plays less than 60 games in the NHL next year.

"A Club's Qualifying Offer must be a One-Way Qualifying Offer if the
applicable Player has: (A) actually played (excluding games missed for
injury, illness or disability) 180 or more NHL Games in the previous three
(3) NHL Seasons, (B) played at least sixty (60) NHL Games in the
previous NHL Season, and (C) not cleared Waivers in the period between
the 12th day prior to the commencement of the previous Regular Season
and the end of a Club's previous Playing Season. For purposes hereof
only, a goaltender is deemed to have played an NHL Game when he was
dressed and on the bench as a backup. In all other cases, a Qualifying
Offer may be a Two-Way Qualifying Offer.
"

Last edited by Freudian: 06-07-2013 at 11:42 PM.
Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2013, 07:50 AM
Orwell1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
Not necessarily, just that he won't be on the roster coming out of camp. Perhaps a callup later in the year or trade if he is healthy and playing well. Pretty simple in my mind, take a wait and see approach and digest the 65K if things don't go well. They won't roll the dice with a million bucks on the line. It will take more than a two week camp to prove he can compete physically at the pro level. Won't matter how much skill he shows.
The guy to focus on is Vincour imo. I see him with an opening day roster spot ahead of any other Lake Erie player.

Orwell1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2013, 09:03 AM
raistlin76

If Joey has stellar camp I think Roy will keep him in big club and try him on wing, probably with Staz or Dutchy. He is first round pick AVS were very high on him since they draft him little off-board and they passed on guy like Etem. If he didn't do Wells in first few games they just send him down.

raistlin76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2013, 11:42 AM
The Kingslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by raistlin76 View Post
If Joey has stellar camp I think Roy will keep him in big club and try him on wing, probably with Staz or Dutchy. He is first round pick AVS were very high on him since they draft him little off-board and they passed on guy like Etem. If he didn't do Wells in first few games they just send him down.
He was way off the board not a little

The Kingslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2013, 11:58 AM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kingslayer View Post
He was way off the board not a little
Just a little, Vancouver was rumored to want him in the early 20's.

I also don't see Hishon making the Avs no matter what he does. He needs to play a full AHL season before I'd even consider him up here, Sgarbossa is next in line for a scoring call-up and Malone for a checking call-up.

Lonewolfe2015 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2013, 12:02 PM
tucker3434

So is he healthy now? Is he training? I was afraid we'd never see him again after that last injury.

tucker3434 is online now   Reply With Quote