HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Joey Hishon: What's the deal?

Old
11-15-2013, 09:35 AM
Avsboy
#TheStructure

vCash: 500
If we don't resign Stastny I'd like to give Hishon the #3 spot next year, if he can stay healthy. Then we spend top dollar on D and fix the mess back there.

Avsboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2013, 10:21 AM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsboy View Post
If we don't resign Stastny I'd like to give Hishon the #3 spot next year, if he can stay healthy. Then we spend top dollar on D and fix the mess back there.
The way Pauls going I dont see a scenario where we dont re-sign him at this point.

The Kingslayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2013, 10:22 AM
Mystic MacK
Foppa2118

I still think Joey is too small to be a center at the NHL level. He'll lose too many battles defensively, and on faceoffs.

I think he could be a very good winger though that could play all over the ice the way Forsberg would on the wing. He's a very smart and tricky player.

Mystic MacK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2013, 11:16 AM
AvsfanJack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
I still think Joey is too small to be a center at the NHL level. He'll lose too many battles defensively, and on faceoffs.

I think he could be a very good winger though that could play all over the ice the way Forsberg would on the wing. He's a very smart and tricky player.
ROR-Duchene-PAP
Lando-Staz-Tangs
McGinn-MacK-Hishon
McLeod-Cliche-Bordy

How about that?

AvsfanJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2013, 11:21 AM
agentblack

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsfanJack View Post
ROR-Duchene-PAP
Lando-Staz-Tangs
McGinn-MacK-Hishon
McLeod-Cliche-Bordy

How about that?
I do like the idea of Hish with Mack. Hell lets do this now

agentblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2013, 11:38 AM
The Merchant
Whaddaya buyin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsfanJack View Post
ROR-Duchene-PAP
Lando-Staz-Tangs
McGinn-MacK-Hishon
McLeod-Cliche-Bordy

How about that?
That would be a very, very threatening line...when they're not chasing the puck in their own zone.

The Merchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2013, 11:40 AM
bohlmeister
Moves Like Malkin

Hishon wouldn't last 2 shifts against a team like the Blues, Sharks, or Kings. Just preemptively put him on a stretcher after warm ups.

bohlmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2013, 11:42 AM
Avsboy
#TheStructure

Maybe we can wrap Hishon in bubble wrap

Avsboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2013, 11:49 AM
henchman24
Mr. Meeseeks

Hishon needs to learn how to protect himself. Not saying any of his injuries were his fault, but he has put himself in bad situations where bad things have happened. Hishon in the AHL scares me because it is much more of a goon league where players are more reckless because they are trying to prove themselves to the organization.

Once he gets his sea legs back and if he is still producing at a high level (not a doubt in my mind he will), I would love to see him called up as the 13th forward. Play him in the top 9 against softer teams on the road, and play him a lot at home because he can be sheltered away from the dirtier players. With his skill he wouldn't be out of place offensively and could contribute to the power play in a big way.

henchman24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2013, 11:55 AM
Mystic MacK
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
Hishon needs to learn how to protect himself. Not saying any of his injuries were his fault, but he has put himself in bad situations where bad things have happened. Hishon in the AHL scares me because it is much more of a goon league where players are more reckless because they are trying to prove themselves to the organization.

Once he gets his sea legs back and if he is still producing at a high level (not a doubt in my mind he will), I would love to see him called up as the 13th forward. Play him in the top 9 against softer teams on the road, and play him a lot at home because he can be sheltered away from the dirtier players. With his skill he wouldn't be out of place offensively and could contribute to the power play in a big way.
Definitely. His concussion at the end of last year was a result of a hit from a goon like that. I forget the player but I remember looking him up, and he was a guy that basically bounced all around the AHL, and Europe his whole career, and made a reckless and dirty hit that clanged Joey's head off the glass.

Much dirtier than the McNabb hit IMO, which I think we over react to a bit too much in terms of dirtiness.

Old
11-15-2013, 12:15 PM
Orwell1984

Quote:
Definitely. His concussion at the end of last year was a result of a hit from a goon like that. I forget the player but I remember looking him up, and he was a guy that basically bounced all around the AHL, and Europe his whole career, and made a reckless and dirty hit that clanged Joey's head off the glass.

Much dirtier than the McNabb hit IMO, which I think we over react to a bit too much in terms of dirtiness.
Just to clarify something.
He was not concussed at the end of last year. The team sat him for the remaining two games as a cautionary measure given that they were meaningless games.
When the season ended he was thoroughly examined by the doctor who supervised the recovery from his former concussion and was given a clean bill of health.
Hope that helps for future discussion.

Orwell1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2013, 12:19 PM
Mystic MacK
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwell1984 View Post
Just to clarify something.
He was not concussed at the end of last year. The team sat him for the remaining two games as a cautionary measure given that they were meaningless games.
When the season ended he was thoroughly examined by the doctor who supervised the recovery from his former concussion and was given a clean bill of health.
Hope that helps for future discussion.
That's good to hear, thanks for the info. Was it a similar situation with this latest "neck injury?" A very conservative decision just to be safe?

Old
11-15-2013, 12:33 PM
Orwell1984

Quote:
That's good to hear, thanks for the info. Was it a similar situation with this latest "neck injury?" A very conservative decision just to be safe?
To some extent yes. You can't really blame the team for being overly cautious imo.
The missed games this year have been due to strength and conditioning concerns for the most part.

Old
11-15-2013, 12:38 PM
Mystic MacK
Foppa2118

Quote:
To some extent yes. You can't really blame the team for being overly cautious imo.
The missed games this year have been due to strength and conditioning concerns for the most part.
No, I think it's better that they are cautious rather than not, despite how aggravating it is for fans, and surely for Joey.

I wonder though why strength and conditioning was a problem early on with the groin injury. He seems like a character kid who's a bit of a rink rat like O'Reilly, and probably trains hard as well. Had the whole summer to train and get the occasional tips from Andy O'Brien.

I get why conditioning was a problem in recent weeks after missing camp, and not being able to do too much with the groin injury, but seems odd that it was a problem coming into camp, and potentially leading to the groin injury like it often does. I figured that was a result of him maybe pushing too hard in the offseason, rather than maybe not pushing enough.

Old
11-15-2013, 12:53 PM
cgf
Fire [new coach]

Quote:
Originally Posted by EternalBlue View Post
That would be a very, very threatening line...when they're not chasing the puck in their own zone.
Lol my first thought as well. In time that line could be deadly but MacK would need a few more years of growing into his body and this league first. ROR and Dutchy could be a fit though. Stick Parenteau next to Landy and Staz so McGinnon can play with Tangers.

cgf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2013, 12:59 PM
Orwell1984

Quote:
No, I think it's better that they are cautious rather than not, despite how aggravating it is for fans, and surely for Joey.

I wonder though why strength and conditioning was a problem early on with the groin injury. He seems like a character kid who's a bit of a rink rat like O'Reilly, and probably trains hard as well. Had the whole summer to train and get the occasional tips from Andy O'Brien.

I get why conditioning was a problem in recent weeks after missing camp, and not being able to do too much with the groin injury, but seems odd that it was a problem coming into camp, and potentially leading to the groin injury like it often does. I figured that was a result of him maybe pushing too hard in the offseason, rather than maybe not pushing enough.
They wanted him to bulk up.
O'Brien thought that was a bad idea. As an example Duchene was about 205 when he started training with O'Brien, now he's around 195 but feels he's stronger and faster.
Joey has a tough time putting on pounds. O'Brien is all about strength and flexability not bulking up just to be heavier. Frustrating for everyone involved.

Old
11-15-2013, 01:07 PM
henchman24
Mr. Meeseeks

Quote:
O'Brien thought that was a bad idea. As an example Duchene was about 205 when he started training with O'Brien, now he's around 195 but feels he's stronger and faster.
Joey has a tough time putting on pounds. O'Brien is all about strength and flexability not bulking up just to be heavier. Frustrating for everyone involved.
I don't like hearing this. Not being on the same page with a prospect when it comes to their training is a bad signal to me.

henchman24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2013, 01:11 PM
Orwell1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
I don't like hearing this. Not being on the same page with a prospect when it comes to their training is a bad signal to me.
For what it's worth, I agree.

Old
11-15-2013, 01:19 PM
Spender

I'd love to see him get a chance on Avs this season. I think he could contribute offensively and he'd probably be safer here as well.

Spender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2013, 01:20 PM
Nihiliste

Quote:

Very interesting, does "they" mean Sakic and Roy, or Billington, or the staff in Erie?
I certainly agree that it's not all about weight but when I watch him Hishon does seem awfully light for the NHL. I can only think of a handful of players who are that slight, Dekeyser coming to mind for one.

Nihiliste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2013, 01:45 PM
Mystic MacK
Foppa2118

Quote:
That's interesting. I guess it depends on where he's at right now. I understands both points of view.

With Duchene he was already at a decent weight, but Joey is listed at 170, and I think that was the same weight when he was drafted. I imagine he probably lost some muscle mass not being able to lift too strenuously with his concussion syptoms, so I doubt he's much bigger than that.

I'm no expert so I can't really say O'Brien is wrong, but it would seem like another 10-15 lbs would serve him well, to put him around 5'10" 180-185. It's really tough to play in the NHL at 170, let alone avoiding injuries when you have a history of concussions.

After all, St Louis is shorter at 5'8" and he's listed at 180. Patrick Kane is listed at 5'11" 181. Derek Roy's 5'9" 184. It helps a great deal for the smaller guys to have at least a bit of mass to their frame playing against men.

If this was coming from Sakic, I'd say he knows a bit about what it takes to play in the NHL as a below averaged sized offensive player, and wouldn't overrate size too much.

Last edited by Mystic MacK: 11-15-2013 at 01:51 PM.
Old
11-15-2013, 01:56 PM
Orwell1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihiliste View Post
Very interesting, does "they" mean Sakic and Roy, or Billington, or the staff in Erie?
I certainly agree that it's not all about weight but when I watch him Hishon does seem awfully light for the NHL. I can only think of a handful of players who are that slight, Dekeyser coming to mind for one.
The staff in L.E., other than Billington I'm sure the rest of the Avs' staff wouldn't know him if they ran into him on the street.
On a side note. He skated with Giroux in Atlanta at the end of the season, Claude was 163lbs. It's different for every player, being in the right situation at the right time is so important.

Old
11-15-2013, 02:23 PM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

So what, Hishon had the groin injury but the reason why he didn't play for the first month is because they were holding him out for the strength and conditioning issues?

tigervixxxen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2013, 03:02 PM
Orwell1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigervixxen View Post
So what, Hishon had the groin injury but the reason why he didn't play for the first month is because they were holding him out for the strength and conditioning issues?
Water under the bridge.
He's being a good pro and trying to do everything they ask. If he could put in a sustained body of work the weight thing would probably be a non-issue. He hasn't helped his own cause in that regard.
I agree there aren't too many small guys have success in the show, but a lot of them play at a lighter weight than listed.

Old
11-19-2013, 09:01 AM
freeboy

With our forward issues, would it be realistic to bring him up now?

freeboy is offline   Reply With Quote